Welcome to the This Is Anfield Forums

Please login or register to begin posting and debating all things Liverpool FC. You can follow the website on twitter @thisisanfield and the forums @tiaforums.

Photo
- - - - -

January Transfer Window 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
350 replies to this topic

#1 Zoran

Zoran

Absolutely bobbins.

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,017 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

Here we go then.

Couple of deals already done, but let's start with Balague's today's piece on the situations of some Spanish based players:

http://bleacherrepor...=programming-UK

Juan Mata in Limbo, Costa & Koke Staying, Herrera Not Interested in United Move

You don’t have to be a world expert in body language to realise that these days Juan Mata is not particularly happy with his lot at Chelsea.

The reaction from Mata—one of the nicest men in the game—to being substituted at Southampton was a mixture of frustration and petulance, and one that showed us all that this world-class player is not in a good place at the moment.

Despite being voted the club’s player of the year for the past two seasons and being key for Chelsea in winning for the first time two consecutive European titles, he now finds himself under the control of a coach (Jose Mourinho) who doesn’t seem to have the same faith in him as had Rafa Benitez or Roberto di Matteo—the two previous occupants of the Stamford Bridge hot seat.

Here are some realities

My sources have made it clear that Juan Mata has NOT now, and NEVER has in the past, asked the club for a move. He is made of stronger stuff than that and WILL ONLY leave if the club tell him his services are no longer required.

There was interest, and still is, from a host of clubs, not least Paris Saint-Germain, Juventus, Manchester United, Napoli, Tottenham, Liverpool and Valencia last summer. At that time, Chelsea made it quite clear to Mata and his people that he was not for sale, even though Mourinho was willing to let him go. Nothing has changed, either before or after Mourinho’s latest outburst. Nobody has communicated to Mata that things have changed. So far.

Will the club let Mourinho have his way this time and allow him to offload Mata? One thing is certain, my sources have said, and that is as things stand, the club have said nothing to neither Mata nor his representatives. And until they do, the player has no plans on going anywhere. He has not asked to be sold and doesn’t want to go unless he is forced out.

Should they decide to sell him, it’s safe to say there will not be a shortage of suitors from Europe’s elite, read the names above again, but at the moment it’s a strange situation for this dedicated professional to have to be going through.

Meanwhile rumour, counter-rumours, gossip and general tittle-tattle abound in this latest transfer window. So let’s cut everyone off at the pass as regards the mooted moves of some of La Liga’s most wanted.

Diego Costa and Koke have both renewed their contracts with Atletico Madrid until 2018 and have both reiterated that they are staying put.

My sources say they have told the club that they don't want to go. With the World Cup only a heartbeat away, both harbour aspirations of participating in it. Also, a move to another club, however big, would see them cup-tied for the rest of the Champions League they are still very much competing in. Exposure in that most exclusive of shop windows that is the Champions League will do their international ambitions no harm.

It’s also worth noting that everyone at the club firmly believes they can this season actually win their first La Liga since 1996. They don’t plan to go, and the club don’t plan to sell them. It doesn’t matter what their buyout clause is when they don’t want to go.

And finally, after the confusing situation of the proposed summer move to Manchester United of Ander Herrera (player, Athletic Bilbao and people at United were convinced it was going to take place, but it was stopped in the last few hours), what is clear is that having his dreams dashed in the most bizarre fashion has left its mark on the Bilbao midfielder.

Despite rumours to the contrary, I can confirm he has unequivocally stated that he has no intention of moving to Manchester, or for that matter anywhere else this January or next summer. So that is, again, that.

#2 jimmydestiny

jimmydestiny

In between the lines

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

It will be interesting to see what United & ourselves do. I cant see City Arsenal Spurs or Everton doing a huge amount - maybe one in one out here or there but nothing to dramatic. I really cant tell if Jose will stick or twist both with Mata & his strikers. We need reinforcement as do United so I suspect they will be desperate to bring someone in. I hear David Dunn is available.

#3 Nikola13

Nikola13

"...Ali čvrstu veru u pobedu krajnju..."

• TIA Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,224 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

Given that our net spend for last summer wasn't exactly high (less than what Fellaini cost Man United, for example), I believe that club will have money to do business provided players wanted are available in January. I hope we pay attention to clubs who crashed out of Champions League because there are some very talented players in that group.

As for our top four competitors, I don't think that Everton will spend much - probably another bargain buy or some young player for the future. Man United and Tottenham worry me because they have plenty of cash, especially the former, and they won't be afraid to splash it.

#4 Semmy

Semmy

Are we there yet?

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

Given that our net spend for last summer wasn't exactly high (less than what Fellaini cost Man United, for example), I believe that club will have money to do business provided players wanted are available in January. I hope we pay attention to clubs who crashed out of Champions League because there are some very talented players in that group.

As for our top four competitors, I don't think that Everton will spend much - probably another bargain buy or some young player for the future. Man United and Tottenham worry me because they have plenty of cash, especially the former, and they won't be afraid to splash it.

Shakhtar
Real Sociedad
Juventus (could be a CM ripe for picking... Pogba/Isla/Asamoah? They have 8 midfielders and no Europe left)
Copenhagen
Benfica (heavy midfield numbers...Matic? Djuricic?)
Anderlecht
Viktoria Plzen
CSKA Moscow (would have loved to get Honda)
Basel
Steaua Bucharest
Napoli
Marseilles
Porto
Austria Wien
Ajax
Celtic

#5 norwegian wood

norwegian wood

TIA Regular

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Can't see Tottenham spending much this window. They already have a huge squad; what they need is to develop their game, not more players. 

United have more room for improvement, particularly in midfield and full back areas. The big question there is whether or not they decide to file Fellaini under the 'expensive mistake' category and finally go after a proper midfielder to partner Carrick.

#6 Nikola13

Nikola13

• TIA Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,224 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

Can't see Tottenham spending much this window. They already have a huge squad; what they need is to develop their game, not more players. 

United have more room for improvement, particularly in midfield and full back areas. The big question there is whether or not they decide to file Fellaini under the 'expensive mistake' category and finally go after a proper midfielder to partner Carrick.

Tottenham still need a striker, especially if Sherwood persists with 4-4-2 - it is heavily rumoured that Defoe is on his way to MLS. Sigurdsson doesn't look particularly happy either, while Lamela isn't any closer to starting eleven than under AVB and could be heading out on loan (though I don't really expect that). So, I think that there will be some business done on their part in January.

Man United will surely go after a central midfielder - I think they wanted a creative one in the summer regardless of eventual Fellaini transfer. Other than that, they need a left fullback and a winger. (To be honest, this is a bit worrying for me because we essentially need to strengthen in exactly the same areas - though we need an aggressive rather than a creative midfielder - and their financial resources, recent success and CL football could blow us out of the water if we pursue the same players as them.) I actually think that Fellaini will be used to provide steel to that new central midfielder in long term. Could be wrong, though.

#7 cardiffpete

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

Spurs - Probably just re-jig it (and not add anyone) ...with Eriksen probably assuming the role of main playmaker for them. Eriksen's actually good enough to do that for them

ManU - Will probably spend big on 2~3 players aka CM, ACM, LB (Alex Sandro?).

Arsenal - Another striker may be needed.

Everton - Don't think that they have the resources to do much.

LFC - An experienced (or else very talented young) wide-forward cq winger, a goal-scoring CM (in the Hendo slot) ... and possibly a solution for  LB (maybe the biggest priority). Other than that, nothing needed this window - barring a fit squad sometime soon.

#8 norwegian wood

norwegian wood

TIA Regular

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

Tottenham still need a striker, especially if Sherwood persists with 4-4-2 - it is heavily rumoured that Defoe is on his way to MLS. Sigurdsson doesn't look particularly happy either, while Lamela isn't any closer to starting eleven than under AVB and could be heading out on loan (though I don't really expect that). So, I think that there will be some business done on their part in January.

Man United will surely go after a central midfielder - I think they wanted a creative one in the summer regardless of eventual Fellaini transfer. Other than that, they need a left fullback and a winger. (To be honest, this is a bit worrying for me because we essentially need to strengthen in exactly the same areas - though we need an aggressive rather than a creative midfielder - and their financial resources, recent success and CL football could blow us out of the water if we pursue the same players as them.) I actually think that Fellaini will be used to provide steel to that new central midfielder in long term. Could be wrong, though.

Yeah, a striker doesn't sound unlikely for Spurs. Apart from that though, they're well covered.

United will have the same problem as most other teams though: availability. They'll be looking for top class players, and I don't think the top players are falling over themselves to join them at the moment. As you say though, they'll have some pulling power due to their recent success and the sheer magnitude of the club. Baines and Cabaye (who would be perfect for us) could be two more or less likely targets if they look within the Premier League, but I imagine it'll cost them around £40m.

#9 cw37

cw37

Reserve Team

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

If Arsenal spend huge on a striker they have a massive chance of winning the title. Their squad everywhere else is well covered. A few examples, Sagna/Jenkinson, Gibbs/Monreal. Mertasacker/koscielney/Vermalaen. Cazorla and Wilshere are being left out at times. Podolski is just back. Oxlade-Chamberlain will be coming back soon. If Giroud had stayed fit he would have been enough. They will splash out. That could sway it in their favour. I am not praising Arsenal too much i hope. In fact if they did win it i would think, Eh we should be nearer. I would rather them do it than the 2 blue teams. I cannot stand them. United might do a panic buy or 2. Tottenham have failed enough with big money moves. Everton cannot afford it. Chelsea have a big squad. Google how many young players they have out on loan btw. City have a big squad too. That is why everyone seems to be predicting them to be champions. Well and the fact they are banging them in is making them think that way. They do lose too often away though. Finally us in the window ?. Lets wait and see. Whatever we do i will not complain because i know that this season we will have made progress.

#10 WrongIslander

WrongIslander

First Team

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:51 AM

If Arsenal spend huge on a striker they have a massive chance of winning the title. Their squad everywhere else is well covered. A few examples, Sagna/Jenkinson, Gibbs/Monreal. Mertasacker/koscielney/Vermalaen. Cazorla and Wilshere are being left out at times. Podolski is just back. Oxlade-Chamberlain will be coming back soon. If Giroud had stayed fit he would have been enough. They will splash out. That could sway it in their favour. I am not praising Arsenal too much i hope. In fact if they did win it i would think, Eh we should be nearer. I would rather them do it than the 2 blue teams. I cannot stand them. United might do a panic buy or 2. Tottenham have failed enough with big money moves. Everton cannot afford it. Chelsea have a big squad. Google how many young players they have out on loan btw. City have a big squad too. That is why everyone seems to be predicting them to be champions. Well and the fact they are banging them in is making them think that way. They do lose too often away though. Finally us in the window ?. Lets wait and see. Whatever we do i will not complain because i know that this season we will have made progress.

I'd agree but for one thing, if Chelsea get a dm and Falcao it's over. 

#11 Zoran

Zoran

Absolutely bobbins.

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,017 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

Lacina Traore to Monaco.

1549495_495638383878055_1382589002_n.jpg

And now could apparently move to West Ham on loan.

#12 Nikola13

Nikola13

• TIA Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,224 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

It seems that Lewandowski has finally agreed a transfer to Bayern Munich - he will move there in the summer on a free transfer. 

#13 lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie

"Somewhat Pessimist"

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,941 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

Didn't Everton had like £20mil surplus from their summer deals? I am pretty sure Martinez would have at least half of that to go to market.

#14 DeathOrGlory

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Brave

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

What a truly fantastic piece of business by BVB......

Give your best player to your main rivals for free.

No way they'll stay in the top two if they keep acting like that, especially selling everyone to Bayern.

In other news, the Monaco mercenary camp grows.

#15 Semmy

Semmy

Are we there yet?

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

It seems that Lewandowski has finally agreed a transfer to Bayern Munich - he will move there in the summer on a free transfer.

how would anyone let him go for free? I don't understand ...

No way they'll stay in the top two if they keep acting like that, especially selling everyone to Bayern.

yeah. Would have loved to see Joao Moutinho in Red...

#16 Nikola13

Nikola13

• TIA Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,224 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

He didn't want to renew his contract with Dortmund for some reason. While I'm relieved that he didn't end up signing with Man United, Arsenal or Chelsea, I'm disappointed to see him join Dortmund's only realistic long-term rivals for Bundesliga titles. Bayern have been behaving for quite some time like they want to establish a monopoly on Bundesliga - Podolski, Klose, Gomez, Gustavo, Neuer, now Gotze and Lewandowski have all been signed from their rivals.

• sklifestyle likes this

#17 RichLFC

RichLFC

TIA First Team

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

As I said in the unreliable thread, it is all a bit quiet for everyone all round

Moyes already poured cold water on Man U buying which for me was a little surprising as they need something to make sure they at least get top 4. Could be bluffing but not sure Gollum is too hot at that

Chelsea linked with higuain but would be amazed if Rafa didnt try to block that one, he's key to Napoli doing as well as last year for me and they only just bought him

Arsenal may try a cheap striker deal in Berbatov to tide them over till the summer

Not sure what else there is really at the moment

With lewandowski, can see why Dortmund held off on selling him for as long as they could. I think they hoped someone else would come in for him. In some ways had he not signed on would have been tempted to do the same with Suarez, some players are too important to sell before you get as much from them as you can on the field if the only alternative is selling them to a club in your own league. And maybe they might change their minds. They gambled and lost but can see their reasoning

#18 lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie

"Somewhat Pessimist"

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,941 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

Moyes looking at players only available in the summer..... Mandzukic situation is being monitored both by Arsenal and United after Bayern and Lewandowski confirmed their moves. United also looking at Coentrao. Interesting.

#19 Nikola13

Nikola13

• TIA Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,224 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

Moyes looking at players only available in the summer..... Mandzukic situation is being monitored both by Arsenal and United after Bayern and Lewandowski confirmed their moves. United also looking at Coentrao. Interesting.

Dominic King wrote today about Man United sending scouts to watch Diego Costa, Koke and Herrera, so you can add them to that list. 

#20 Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts nowadays...

• TIA Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,894 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

They had a choice: either selling him for really big money two years ago, selling him for a nominal fee last summer, or using him until the end of his contract, which is next summer. They can't rival Bayern for the wages, and went for the latter option. I for one can understand their choice.

• lfc.eddie and No Men in the Box Redux like this

#21 lovepool

lovepool

First Team

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

In monetary terms Dortmund have lost out by not selling Lewandowski but should be applauded for keeping him their belief he could lead them the league title or European success.

They have been decimated by injuries this season so the Bundesliga title is out of the question but they could still possibly win the Champions League which would vindicate their decision to keep the Pole.

#22 DeathOrGlory

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Brave

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

I am starting to believe this could be the end for Dortmund.

It really looks like Gundogan is going to run off like another judas to Madrid. I don't believe they'll win the Champs League, not with that squad. They could very easily get picked apart by the end of 2015.

#23 Zoran

Zoran

Absolutely bobbins.

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,017 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

Schalke have activated Sidney Sam's 2.5m clause and he will move there in the summer.

#24 Nikola13

Nikola13

• TIA Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,224 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

Radja Nainggolan finally leaves Cagliari - he's signed for Roma.

#25 RichLFC

RichLFC

TIA First Team

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

I am starting to believe this could be the end for Dortmund.

It really looks like Gundogan is going to run off like another judas to Madrid. I don't believe they'll win the Champs League, not with that squad. They could very easily get picked apart by the end of 2015.

They have an excellent manager and a fine scouting structure but financially they have never been seriously competitive and have often been a bit of a feeder/selling outfit for Europe top clubs. That's the one ingredient that it seems will always be missing

They do however benefit from the fact that there is just one superpower in German football, Bayern. Gives them a chance at silverware even if they get cherry picked every summer as well as Cl football and the ability to competently replace players. If they happened to be in the PL my feeling is that they would be hovering around the Everton area. Maybe the best they could aspire to be might be arsenal. That's why am not sure their model will be a long term success in English football if a club followed their blueprint. If they have a period though where they get locusted then it may go tits up quite fast