Welcome to the This Is Anfield Forums

Please login or register to begin posting and debating all things Liverpool FC. You can follow the website on twitter @thisisanfield and the forums @tiaforums.

Photo

ESPN 30 for 30 Story on Hillsborough - April 15th

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 gr_sounder

gr_sounder

Santa's Informant

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

Just caught a little bit of ESPN while getting lunch, and saw they had an advertisement for one of their 30 for 30 stories. Apparently they are going to do one of their 30for30 shows on the Hillsborough Tragedy and the coverup and it's going to be airing on April 15th at 8PM EST which would be 1AM in the UK (April 16th) with the 5 hour time offset.

http://espnmediazone...world-cup-espn/

It's the first story they are putting out on soccer/football prior to the world cup.

I'm very interested in how they do this one.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will tune in to watch it expecting to see "typical English hooligans" and then be amazed at the story of what really happened and what was really to blame and the coverup.

[Edited to change something I mistyped... these are not 30 minute shows and as mentioned below by LatetotheParty this one is 2 hours long]

• steveee, TFC, WrongIslander and 1 other like this

#2 OhYaBeauty

OhYaBeauty

Stevie ISNT an attacking mid; hes a deep lying playmaker

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,717 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

Just caught a little bit of ESPN while getting lunch, and saw they had an advertisement for one of their 30 for 30 stories. Apparently they are going to do one of their 30 minute stories on the Hillsborough Tragedy and the coverup and it's going to be airing on April 15th at 8PM EST which would be 1AM in the UK (April 16th) with the 5 hour time offset.

http://espnmediazone...world-cup-espn/

It's the first story they are putting out on soccer/football prior to the world cup.

I'm very interested in how they do this one.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will tune in to watch it expecting to see "typical English hooligans" and then be amazed at the story of what really happened and what was really to blame and the coverup.

Great news. ESPN's 30 for 30 is an excellent program that's almost always exceptionally made and edited. That'll be good for an American audience to understand what happened and it'll be a good program for the Brits who are more familiar with the tragedy to watch as well. 

#3 AussieLad

AussieLad

TIA Regular

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

Only seen Straight Outta LA and Fab 5, but both are fantastic, so am interested in how they do this

#4 WrongIslander

WrongIslander

First Team

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

30 for 30 are by far and away the best sporting documentaries so I have no doubt they will do the subject matter justice and welcome the face that more people will be made aware of this tragedy. 

#5 JimmyG37

JimmyG37

TIA New Signing

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:19 AM

I've watched a good number of the 30 for 30 documentaries. As said in posts above, they are tremendous. Also, they're longer than 30 minutes. The Hillsborough one is 2 hours. I set the DVR as soon as I could find it in my guide.

Being an American LFC fan who didn't starting to follow Liverpool and the Premier League closely until 7 years ago, I know there's a ton of information I don't know about the tragedy. I have found the 30 for 30 films to be very educational and I hope that will be the same for Hillsborough.

#6 despy

despy

TIA Youth Team

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:50 AM

Promotion video for ESPN 30 for 30 Hillsborough documentary set to air April 15th:

#7 Historicus

Historicus

TIA Reserve Team

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:41 AM

Apparently there was a screening tonight

Tyler Duffy @tyduffy 1h

Just saw "Hillsborough" 30 for 30. It's spectacular. May be best thing I've seen on ESPN. Clear your schedule on Tuesday.

#8 TFC

TFC

TIA Squad Member

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:52 AM

I just saw that the director was the same one who made 9.79, I thought he did a good job on that 30 for 30 story so hopefully he did an even better job on this one.  The directors take is worth a read:

http://espn.go.com/3...ge=hillsborough

#9 Knoxy67

Knoxy67

New Signing

• TIA Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:20 AM

I've just checked the ESPN guide for the schedule here in Oz. We're getting this show at 9.00 pm Tuesday 22nd April. Hopefully the high standard of previous episodes will be repeated here, so that any people who still are not aware of the facts, can realise why the fight for justice is still being pursued.

#10 Arminius

Arminius

FSG PR plant

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,145 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

Anyone happen to hear anything on a Canadian broadcast, or a stream?

#11 WrongIslander

WrongIslander

First Team

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:46 AM

Of course this won't be shown in the UK while the inquest is taking place. 

As Margaret Aspinal said today, seems pretty ironic that they don't want people influenced but for 24 years no such consideration was given in the disparaging lies that we had to live with! 

• Kinny Riddle, SGM, gr_sounder and 1 other like this

#12 ajc56

ajc56

TIA New Signing

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:06 AM

Im watching it right now live in the US, its tremendous.  They are telling the REAL story as well as addressing the lies and the people who told them.

• WrongIslander likes this

#13 WrongIslander

WrongIslander

First Team

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:10 AM

Im watching it right now live in the US, its tremendous.  They are telling the REAL story as well as addressing the lies and the people who told them.

This will no doubt be available to be downloaded in the coming days, I'll find a link ASAP. 

#14 gr_sounder

gr_sounder

Santa's Informant

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:12 AM

Just finished watching it ... even got my wife watching the whole thing. Was well done in my opinion... but I will write more in the morning.

#15 LFC-Orlando

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:01 AM

Tremendous piece of real journalism and of outstanding documentary quality.  

ESPN and their parents (ABC and Disney) gained even more respect.

Many of my American friends who know close to nothing about our 96 were so moved.

#16 JimmyG37

JimmyG37

TIA New Signing

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:44 AM

Just watched it. Absolutely outstanding work.

As an American LFC fan who has never been outside of North America, my knowledge of Hillsborough was admittedly limited. Any knowledge I had came from here or other internet reading I had done over the last few years. This documentary allowed me to get a better understanding of the tragedy. That ranges from a feeling of awe, respect, and heartbreak for the families of the 96 who have dealt with so much the past 25 years, to a blood-boiling anger at the South Yorkshire Police and those who perpetuated the lies.

For those of you who haven't seen it, the film features the work of Professor Phil Scraton. What a legend that guy is. Wow.

#17 RMP

RMP

TIA First Team

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:04 AM

I missed the first broadcast got home early so i can catch the next one at midnight 

#18 Semmy

Semmy

Are we there yet?

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:39 AM

Should have a rip I found avail in AM. Not sure how it works with links on this site, maybe a mod can PM me?

#19 WrongIslander

WrongIslander

First Team

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

Pm me or ohyabeauty for a link. I don't see how the truth can be used to hold any man in contempt but Im not here to upset the site either
  • OhYaBeauty likes this

#20 mattyhurst

mattyhurst

TIA Regular

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,246 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

Might be good not to share it publically espically considering this is a Liverpool FC message board.

#21 gr_sounder

gr_sounder

Santa's Informant

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

Ok, so I watched the show last night - and now that I'm at a computer rather than working off my phone - I can give a little more here.

I have been talking about the show with my wife and she watched it with me. She loves football (soccer here obviously) and still plays damn well, but isn't a big fan of any team, so she just finds my interest amusing. But she loves a good story - not that there was much good in the Hillsborough story for 20+ years - but as a story, it's definitely up there.

The show had lots of comments from police officers and family members and some people that were there. These were all quite telling and very engaging. They had a lot of footage from the day - the buildup, the stadium inside and out, and the match and followup. Now I've read a decent amount about the events that day and what happened after but had never seen some of this. The show did a lot with the stadium, how it was laid out, where the people came from, where they went. They exposed the lies that were told. I had forgotten that Superintendant Mole (a man with experience) had been replaced due to a scandal (in which he was not involved) less than a month and that was how Duckenfield was in charge. There was a lot shown of the actual events of the day and how horrible it must have been.

They talked of the families and how they were told about the events. They told of the lies that were quickly started and used to blame the supporters. My wife on all this kept saying "how did people believe these lies". They told of how the families went to the Boys Club to identify the dead. They told of the Taylor Report, and then the ridiculous classification of accidental death by Coroner Popper. Then they told about the trials and was in disbelief that people "got away with what they did" (or didn't do).

She then asked me, "So what happened... how did they keep fighting?" and I told her... "They just couldn't quit until they got answers and justice, and If something like this happened to you, I would do the same". My wife had such an impression of Margaret Aspinall and the others (but remembered her most) and her resolve. She also was amazed at the footage of Andy Burnham at the 20th anniversay when "Justice" was called out and how that grew and grew - and commented how his body language and face completely changed during those seconds... and loved that he then took that on as a mission.

Anyway, that was my impression - largely based on what my wife learned during the show.

By the way, they also had information about the win against Manchester City... so they did do a little bit of update to show the current situation of the team as well but it was how it related to Hillsborough and the resolve and the fight and how things are on the up for the families and the team.

• Anfield rd Dreamer likes this

#22 won it at-a-turk stadium

won it at-a-turk stadium

TIA Regular

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

My favourite line (ex-cop who gave statement which was ammended without his knowledge)

That is a conspiracy to perverse the course of justice.... which is a criminal offence.... and I don't like criminals

One of the strongest lines to end on

• RedmondLFC and gr_sounder like this

#23 gr_sounder

gr_sounder

Santa's Informant

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

My favourite line

That is a conspiracy to perverse the course of justice.... which is a criminal offence.... and I don't like criminals

Yeah that was pretty awesome. I forget the name of the former policeman that said that... but it was a great line.

For context... it was an officer who had just learned that his statement had been altered without his knowing.

#24 steveee

steveee

TIA Reserve Team

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

I watched it...    it was great !!  very moving ... and made me tear up around the memorial at Anfield part

#25 Semmy

Semmy

Are we there yet?

• TIA Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

30 mins in, wow this is something