2017-18 Fixture List

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by shankly96, Jun 13, 2017.

1. shankly96

shankly96 Gif King

2. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Reckon the FA will shaft us by forcing us to play every team twice... and I bet we'll be forced to play them away half the time. Bloody typical!

3. James H

James H "I dunno, I just work here"

Hard to know, but I wouldn't mind if the fixtures fell in a similar way this year, as long as we hit the ground running again. But whoever we play we need a good start to build on, like we had last year, just hopefully less of a blip around January/February.

4. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Exactly. I think the reality is there are enough good sides in the league these days, plus the best of the rest being uniquely motivated to play against us, that there is no way to get a start and not think it tough. I think the worst thing would be to somehow get a so called easy start and still find a way to drop points.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  5. Red Skip

Red Skip Red Skip

First fixture away to Southampton would be interesting on the back of recent events ;-)

FGred likes this.
  6. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind a couple of tough away games at the start of the season. The reason being those first 3 or 4 games before the transfer window has shut, no ones quite ready, everyones still settling into the groove so its a bit of an equaliser and opportunity to catch teams out on the cold.

I think it will be easier to face City or Manu away in the first few games than in the middle of the season during a run.

FGred, Scott Jones and rupzzz like this.
  7. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

On the other hand, we have two CL playoff games to get through in those first 3 weeks. Unless we have a remarkable season, those are probably the two most important games to get a result in.

8. Zinedine Biscan

Good point that. Although, given our performance against the so-called lesser sides last season, I'm not entirely sure what favourable fixtures around those two matches would look like. It would be nice to be at home, at least, I guess.

FGred likes this.
  9. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

https://www.premierleague.com/news/419044

How the Premier League fixture list is compiled
    13/06/2017

[​IMG]
    Organising the 380 matches in the 2017/18 season is no simple business, as veteran compiler Glenn Thompson explains

Producing the full Premier League fixture list for 2017/18 is no random draw. It is the result of a meticulous and painstaking process that lasts almost half a year and involves the scheduling of 2,036 matches across the top four divisions in England.

The man behind the list is Glenn Thompson, of Atos, a veteran compiler who has collated almost 60,000 matches since taking on the role in 1992. He explains how the list is compiled.

When does the work on the next season's fixture list start?
    Glenn Thompson:
    At the start of the year. That's when I get the playing dates from the Premier League.

The whole thing is built up putting in the international dates from FIFA, then the European club competitions, then the Football Association adds in the dates for its competitions and what you are left with are the dates when you can play league and League Cup matches.

What is "sequencing"?
    That's the methodology we use which is all about breaking the season down into a number of constituent parts, which are called sets. We break it down into five sets, which are reversed in the second half of the season.

Are there any rules you have to adhere to?
    There are the "golden rules" of sequencing. In any five matches there should be a split of three home fixtures, two away, or the other way around.

Wherever possible a club will not have more than two home or away matches in a row, and will be home and away around FA Cup ties.

We will also strive to prevent any club from having to start or finish the season with two home or two away matches because it would be unfair for a team to finish with two aways, especially if they are looking for points.

[​IMG]
    The fixture compilers must ensure Liverpool and Everton's home matches do not clash
    Around the Christmas period, if you are at home on Boxing Day you will be away on New Year's Day, or the equivalent date. And we will also try to maintain a Saturday home-away sequence throughout the season wherever possible.

Do clubs from the same area play at home on the same day?
    Most clubs will have a partner club they cannot clash with. There are the obvious ones – Manchester United and Manchester City, Liverpool and Everton – and then when you get into London it gets a bit more complex and less obvious. [I'd say!]

What happens next?
    Around March, the Premier League sends to each of its member clubs a form asking them to fill in three things: 1) Are there any dates you wish not to be at home? That is answered in conjunction with the local police. 2) Which club do you want to pair with? 3) Are there any teams you do not wish to play at home on Boxing Day?

Can you satisfy all of the requests?
    From looking at the sequence we know how many of these dates we can meet. When we can't, the Premier League will ask the club which of the requests are most important.

We cannot accommodate everything but, on average, we satisfy higher than 85% every year.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/419020

How do the fixtures get processed?
    We cannot do anything until we know the composition of each division, which is, obviously, after the last Football League play-off. Then we can start looking at the main bit of compiling the fixtures.

It is a matter of placing each of the clubs in a pairing grid, which basically defines the dates they will be at home.

For every date in the season, the fixture computer knows who is at home and who is away and then it will mix them up randomly to determine which matches will take place on which date.

What happens if there are any problems?
    If we have got any issues, we might have to go back and start again to produce a different set of fixtures. I'm reviewing the fixtures all the time to ensure other things can be met.

In the 2012/13 season, for example, there was a requirement from the Metropolitan Police not to play high-profile matches until after 8 September because of the Olympics and Paralympics.

How is the fixture list checked?
    Traditionally the Premier League, the Football League and Atos representatives will review the fixtures for two days, looking at every date in the season to make sure that wherever possible we have met everything we have been asked to.

This season the Football League's fixtures will be released on a separate date which has led to a slight change in this review process.

The computer is very useful during the review because if we do not want a certain fixture on a particular date, it will give us alternate dates for that fixture to be moved to. It can be that changing one match may require 40 other changes.

[​IMG]
    Compilers look to minimise travel for fans on Boxing Day and New Year's Day
    We also have a working party meeting with representatives from all the leagues, the FA and also a fans representative, from the Football Supporters' Federation.

They will have had an introductory meeting in March before the fixtures are produced and then just before the fixtures are released they will meet again to go through key dates of the fixture list, such as opening day and the Christmas schedule, and provide a check that all the requirements we have considered have been adequately dealt with.

The fixtures are then looked at by the Association of Chief Police Officers and British Transport Police representatives.

Do you consider travel issues?
    Yes. We look at whether we have got clubs from the same area travelling on the same trainlines across the Football League and the Premier League on the same day. We want to avoid having various "pinch points" on the rail and road network. We also tell the computer to try to minimise travel on Boxing Day and New Year's Day.

How are the fixtures released?
    After the fixtures have been finalised, it's just a matter of sending them to the leagues. The fixtures are then released to the relevant press distributers the night before so they can distribute them on the morning of release.

Is it the impossible job?
    You can't satisfy everyone. It's a compromise across all clubs; you can't do anything to favour any one club.

There are 2,036 matches, across the Premier League and Football League over a nine-month period, and the ideal solution is to ensure that those matches can all be played when scheduled.

Another article on it, this time from the guardian https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jun/15/fixtures-premier-league-football-league-compiled

Rooster, LFC7NH, FGred and 1 other person like this.
  10. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

Hardly matters, we're going to win all of them no matter how they fall.

treboeth, SBYM, Red Armada and 7 others like this.
  11. Zinedine Biscan

Nah, Klopp will probably play the kids once the title's in the bag to rest the lads up for the FA Cup and CL finals... might lose a few points in those dead rubbers ;-)

FGred, Klopptinho and Chewbazza like this.
  12. Klopptinho

Klopptinho Well-Known Member

i'd like us to get chelsea or citeh first game or even the scum due to the amount of new players these sides are likely to have we might catch them cold .

13. MikeOscar

MikeOscar Klopp Klopp

Arsenal again please - they always lose their first game of the season.

Apart from that, I mostly wish for us to have a bit more even distribution of the difficult games. Last season we got pretty close to playing the top six sequentially before we faced all the dross of the league. More of a mix this time please.

14. redbj

redbj hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

Means we will need to peak earlier, I'm 100% not opposed to getting a 'tough' start.

Will force our hand a bit

15. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

I don't know what is tough fixtures for us, against City or Brighton, squaring up Chelsea or Huddersfield. If last season were to be the benchmark of how we are going to fare, I sure hope we get them top teams right at the start of the season to collect them points before heading to the lower end of the table teams where we would drop points.

16. DeathOrGlory

DeathOrGlory Fortune Favours the Brave

Hope we get to play all the top six sides at the start, should be able to put a very decent lead going into late September/ October that way.

And then a smooth run in of the same top 6 clubs at the end, so we can cruise to the title.

Simple.

17. shankly96

shankly96 Gif King

August

12 - Watford (A)
    19 - Crystal Palace (H)
    26 - Arsenal (H)

September

9 - Manchester City (A)
    16 - Burnley (H)
    23 - Leicester City (A)
    30 - Newcastle United (A)

October

14 - Manchester United (H)
    21 - Tottenham Hotspur (A)
    28 - Huddersfield Town (H)

November

4 - West Ham United (A)
    18 - Southampton (H)
    25 - Chelsea (H)
    29 - Stoke City (A)

December

2 - Brighton and Hove Albion (A)
    9 - Everton (H)
    13 - West Bromwich Albion (H)
    16 - Bournemouth (A)
    23 - Arsenal (A)
    26 - Swansea City (H)
    30 - Leicester City (H)

January

1 - Burnley (A)
    13 - Manchester City (H)
    20 - Swansea City (A)
    30 - Huddersfield Town (A)

February

3 - Tottenham Hotspur (H)
    10 - Southampton (A)
    24 - West Ham United (H)

March

3 - Newcastle United (H)
    10 - Manchester United (A)
    17 - Watford (H)
    31 - Crystal Palace (A)

April

7 - Everton (A)
    14 - Bournemouth (H)
    21 - West Bromwich Albion (A)
    28 - Stoke City (H)

May

5 - Chelsea (A)
    13 - Brighton and Hove Albion (H)

CL Group Stage Matchdays:
    12/13 September:
    Group stage, matchday one

26/27 September: Group stage, matchday two

17/18 October: Group stage, matchday three

31/1 November/December: Group stage, matchday four

21/22 November: Group stage, matchday five

5/6 December: Group stage, matchday six

18. MikeOscar

MikeOscar Klopp Klopp

Feels like the first 'normal' fixture list we've had in a few years. It seems fine to me.

Edit: Christmas/December schedule is brutal - 10 games in from November 29th to January 1th, but every team needs to deal with this problem. Dare I say it though, an early exit from the league cup would probably be a good thing so we don't get another two fixtures in January.

19. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

Seems fine to me. A good spread of fixtures...Nothing to mental.

20. kwala

kwala TIA Regular

That's a great fixture list for us. No runs of tough fixtures at all. Normally we get 6 or 7 tough games on the bounce!

Away again though first up! Always nice to start the season at home, but anyway, no real complaints, I'm happy with that spread of games.

21. Zinedine Biscan

Initial impressions are that doesn't look too bad at all. Always nice to see the games against the top teams spread out a little. Away from home in the first game, but on paper at least we shouldn't have too much to worry about against Watford.

22. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

There is nothing like a bad or a good fixture list. Because no-one knows how it will play out during the season. An away game against Burnley on January first for instance could be a horribly tricky affair for us, but it will all depend on who is available, injuries, previous results etc. One game after the other is the way to look at it.

So, Watford away first. Last season, we did the double on them, but they'll have a new manager in place, and many new players, so it's basically a complete unknown. Looking forward to it! :-)

SBYM likes this.
  23. kelvinfkt

kelvinfkt New Member

Its not all too great. We could face games against Arsenal, Spurs, Chel, and Everton after some CL midweek games. Besides, there will also be some tough games before CL midweek, such as City and Urinated

Watford (Away)
    Playoff - 1st
    Crystal (Home) - Boogey team

Crystal (Home) - Boogey team
    Playoff - 2nD
    Arsenal (Home)

City(Away)
    Group stage - game 1
    Burnley(home)

Leicester (Away)
    Group stage - Game 2
    Newcastle (Away)

Man U (Home)
    Group stage - Game 3
    Spurs (Away)

Huddersfield (Home)
    Group stage - Game 4
    Westham (Away)

Soton (Home)
    Group stage - Game 5
    Chelsea (Home)

Brighton(Away)
    Group stage - Game 6
    Everton (Home)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  24. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

Title decider as the penultimate game! Bring it on!

Arminius, Scott Jones and SBYM like this.
  25. Red_Jedi

Red_Jedi Member

Games against the Top 6 and Everton are spread pretty evenly through the year - no real bad bad sequence of games, and no sequence of "easy" games either... which I think is good for us.

I just don't want Thursday night football.

26. Gazmaninaus

Gazmaninaus Well-Known Member

Actually the run into the end of the season, looks very do-able. We have literally one top 4 challenger, every month, looks a good draw really.

27. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

No complaints with that really. Obviously you prefer the first match at home, but can't have everything

Have to see how the Champions League group goes (if we make it) could have a tough game after Arsenal and City followed up with a European hangover against Burnley.

Likewise between United and Spurs

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  28. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

October is probably our worst month and even then we have two at home.

As solely a PL fixture list that's good, and we face the new teams relatively late. Even only match day 3 does it stick us in between two big names and those two will also have to play CL football at that time so.

29. Craigy_Boy_92

Craigy_Boy_92 Member

Quite happy with that. Can overhead kick to give us the win on opening day. Odds on that?

Man City at home the weekend of my birthday....

30. Sionach

Sionach Resident Athiest

T
    Top of the league at Xmas