A big summer ahead, or is it...........

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Nevoo34, Mar 13, 2017.

1. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Artrain likes this.
  2. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

I think the above quote is clear enough, mate. He was never approached by anyone linked with LFC.

3. redfanman

Yeah, but i had been referring to this bit;

"When a job becomes available, they always use the names of the coaches currently without a team, so, my name was thrown out there. But I never had any direct contact with the directors of Liverpool."

The rumours had been of contact while Brendan was still at the club. Not sure well respected Managers admit to contact in those circumstances.

4. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Don't know either to be honest. But one would expect that if there is some interest, the club owners/directors would enter in contact first? Anyway, that's beyond my knowledge. Maybe some here can shed light on how this kind of approaches are usually made?

5. Artrain

Artrain Well-Known Member

But honestly, it wouldn't make too much sense to approach Ancelotti since Klopp had been their target from long before that.

6. redfanman

He had. But there had been question marks over Klopps last season at Dortmund, and it's possible that the board where willing to consider both as candidates because of that, or perhaps they werent sure that Klopp would actually join.

I'm just guessing. As i've said many times on here before, Honigstein was suggesting that there may have been contact between us and Klopp from around March that year.

7. redwhiteley7

redwhiteley7 New Member

Rafa inherited a pretty good squad and with just a couple of(admittedly great)purchases we were off to Istanbul.Wouldn't have got to Istanbul with most other managers though.Ged didn't get started with such a good squad but he was quick to fix the spine and it didn't take him long to start winning stuff.Would it be fair to say that Ged knew who he wanted when he came in-it looked like that to me.Good picks anyway and he worked it well to become a very successful squad.I don't see any argument against getting the best possible manager out there we can get-as near world class as possible.We then have to hope they are good at getting the right players in.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  8. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

I don't think Rafa's inherited squad was that great. He was using Traore, Biscan, Diao and Baros regularly.

The Elusive 19th likes this.
  9. Claymenza

Claymenza Well-Known Member

Price is the amount paid for acquiring any product or service. (Transfer fee determined by employer - the club)
    Cost is the amount incurred in producing and maintaining something. (Wages determined by the player and his agent)
    Value is the utility of a good or service. (Not calculated in monetary terms, in this case expert judgment)

Fergie brought scholes out of retirement and sold Pogba 5 years ago.
    Did this happen because he didn't represent value at the time compared to the cost?
    In this instance, fergie did not have to make a decision on price. Just cost versus value.

Compare this to us missing out on Draxler who We know represents great value.
    Did the personal terms fall apart because lallana and coutinho were more deserving of their pay rises? (cost)
    Or was the transfer fee not justifiable. (price)

10. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

The opening post in the thread is excellently put together. It is thought provoking and enlightening.

In regards to FSG and their spending policies. I am not sure I entirely agree.

The employed Comolli and were guided by both Kenny and him.

Suarez was bought before Torres was sold. Torres was a last minute sale thats why we got our arses smacked by Newcastle.

If Torres has not demanded a transfer then Carroll would not have been bought. Suarez had already arrived at the club.

FSG learnt the hard way. They no longer bend over to other clubs and we are no longer taken for a ride.

The easy mark days are gone.

I applaud the owners.

There is still some players that will move on. If the revenue reduces the risk to the club, then thats great.

No more threats of insolvency proceedings.

inaiq and Nevoo34 like this.
  11. Claymenza

At the time, the suarez deal was in the works for months before then and he was meant to play alongside torres. Instead, dalglish and comolli felt that torres' departure meant buying a target man in carroll, instead of the quick and skillful sturridge.

Sturridge would have been an upgrade on babel. Suarez an upgrade on torres. Sterling was not getting on well with dalglish who wanted an old fashioned winger who gets to the byline and crosses it. The frontline of sturridge, sterling and suarez could have been formed much earlier if there was demand for it, with gerrard in behind.

How can we apply these lessons learned to future targets? In the case of procuring a top striker, he needs to be injury free and fit the tactics. Andy carroll was purchased with an injury and this is not analogous to returning a defective product for a refund or exchange.

12. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

I don't think we were looking at Sturridge during Dalglish era. It's actually 1.5 years later from Suarez's and Carroll's Jan - where we looked at Sturridge and BR had just joined us. And BR said no for Sturridge - cause he had the idea that he will loan out Sturridge and try it out before making permanent deal. 6 months later and a flopped Borini - we bought Sturridge.
    On a side note on paper, it looks like a good idea to try out a player in loan - but to think that it can done in LFC, to think that the caliber of players we need would come here on loan and prove themselves before we buy them - it's some ridiculous idea. And Whoever came up with that (BR?) is definitely stupid. Try to apply it to current scenario - Brandt & Keita are currently similar to what Sturridge was at that time - a high quality player with potential to become world class. What will happen if we try to get them on a loan?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    redfanman likes this.
  13. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

I think you are therefore in agreement with me that the O.P whilst ex excellently put together was not strictly correct.

redfanman likes this.
  14. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid Valued Member

The only decent guys Rafa had at the start were Gerrard, Carragher, and some of the guys he brought in like Alonso and Garcia.

Otherwise he had Tarore, Biscan, Dudek, Baros, Kewell, Smicer.... none of whom were world beaters.

15. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid Valued Member

I would like to think we will see a big summer. With a lot of guys being shipped out, and better players being brought in.

16. Kaliberbeats

Kaliberbeats Well-Known Member

I wouldn't imagine too many leaving as the squad is already threadbare. Lucas will go, maybe one of the back up keepers and likely Sturridge due to his injuries.

17. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Well, he also had Hyypia, Hamann, Finnan, and Riise as well who were all at least decent.

18. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Yeah, squad depth wise, Rafa inherited one of the worst in terms of depth in quality. Le Tellac, Pongolle, Mellor just to name a few that was not ready to play at that level yet, but featured quite a bit. They are the equivalent to Klopp playing Woodburn and Alexander Arnold

Come on. like @Kopstar said, we had Hyypia, Hamann, Finnan and Riise as well, not to mention Cisse which Rafa didn't get a proper chance of using him. If you consider Carragher decent at the time of Rafa's arrival, you should also consider Kewell, Smicer, Baros and Dudek being decent. Carragher was shite prior to Rafa's arrival.

19. Kaliberbeats

Kaliberbeats Well-Known Member

Agree with all but Baros and Kewell. Baros won me 500 euro winning the top scorer at the Euros for winning top scorer at 50/1 so I'll always like the lad but he never turned it on at club level. Kewell was a sick note.

redfanman likes this.
  20. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Kewell was decent but literally never fit aside from that promising first season under Houllier. One of my big transfer disappointments of recent times. Should have been awesome for us, but wasn't to be.

Baros was pretty woeful, wouldn't even get near the team now (if he were the same age he was then, obv).

redfanman likes this.
  21. lfc.eddie

Yes Kewell has all the quality to be really great but way too injury prone. As for Baros, that's my point with regards to saying Carragher was a decent player. He was woeful for me before the arrival of Rafa making him a centre half. As a fullback he was useless going up because he can never pick a pass or a cross, he could not outrun his opponent and often get stranded when being tasked to track back to cover the space he vacated. I was never a fan of Carragher before Rafa converted him to centre half. I am also not a fan of his attitude towards the man that actually made him. He benefitted the most under Rafa Benitez.

Claymenza and spartacus136 like this.
  22. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Yeah, Kewell was such a disappointment, thought he was going to be immense for us. You could say the same for Litmanen, another class player ruined by injuries.

23. Zinedine Biscan

Must have missed that, has Carra dissed Rafa in some way recently?

24. lfc.eddie

In his book mate.... spoke about why Rafa should never have taken on the owners, should bow down to them and carry on with his job. With his self professed love for the club, he should be able to see why Rafa did what he did. If the manager didn't put the owners in their place, they would not have made known to public their intent because at that time Purslow was their lap dog. I do understand why players would not take on the owners, but to say Rafa's action was nothing but mere power struggle was an insult. Here's part of what he said in his book.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...biography-opens-old-wounds-Anfield-split.html

redwhiteley7, redbj and redfanman like this.
  25. Zinedine Biscan

I have read his book, it was a few years ago, though... or 8, I guess, seeing as I got it on release.

I thought you were saying that he'd said Rafa hadn't improved him as a player, though.

26. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

Didn't Carra and Gerrard champion Hodgson?

27. Zinedine Biscan

Can't remember for sure, but I know they wanted Curbishley over Rafa when Houllier went.

Celtic Dragon and lfc.eddie like this.
  28. lfc.eddie

I don't think he had ever given the Spaniard enough credit for what he gained under that manager.

29. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

wowsers...

curbishley over rafa, support for Hodgson and glowing references to the relationship with the outstanding one (in Gerrards case).....

what to make of all that.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  30. Claymenza

There is no coach that polarized opinion more than rafa benitez, especially in his last season. His undoing was not qualifying for the champions league which was a tad unfair given that he's made it every single time.

Rafa knew how to setup a strong defense. We didn't need the defenders to be exceptional individually. As long as the unit as a whole followed his instructions, even the occasional individual mistakes could be mitigated. Notice how players like skrtel and agger excelled under rafa. Not so much with his successors. Left backs like riise and aurelio who decent although we haven't the best one we can muster now is a midfielder.

Nowadays, it seems like defenders are being played one on one. I don't think the likes of carragher would have fared as well against high pressing opposition which is why he hoofs it.

cardiffpete and Limiescouse like this.