Alex Oxlade Chamberlain (RW, CM) Arsenal

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by jgw_geneseo, Apr 12, 2017.

1. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

Close it down mods if it's not enough with my apologies but:

Reports that Liverpool are interested in Ox, and won't be put off by his 35 mil price tag.

[​IMG]

Telegraph Sport‏Verified account @TelegraphSport
    Exclusive: Liverpool eye Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and are not put off by Arsenal’s £35million valuation

Retweeted by Rory Smith, with this not long after:
    Rory Smith‏Verified account @RorySmith
    Oh, and for what it's worth, I'd have said Ox would be an excellent signing for Liverpool. Gone stale at Arsenal but hugely talented.

The article in the Telegraph:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...-news-arsenals-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-still/

As covered in the Unreliable, it's written by James Ducker, who usually covers United, but I don't think he's a hack. He's titled 'Northern Football Correspondent'

A rather more sensible take on the situation:
    Tony Barrett‏Verified account @TonyBarrett 10h10 hours ago
    £35m for Oxlade Chamberlain with a year left on his contract?! Has a decimal point gone missing? That's £12m more than Juve paid for Dybala.

This rumor made the rounds about a month ago (maybe longer?) with Klopp actually denying interest, but doesn't seem to want to go away. My own thoughts on this are that it leaves me feeling tepid, much like the Wijnaldum transfer did last year...but that turned out alright. I wouldn't want to spend anywhere close to 35 on him...but I guess he's decent when he's fit. If he can put injury issue behind him, he's only 23, and has ability. I think he might be on the list but hopefully he's the 5th or 6th option for me. At the very least I'd like someone with a better injury record. Still, has his whole career still in front of him and can understand why some might find him intriguing.

Dave-D, James H and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  2. lightdrizzle

lightdrizzle TIA Reserve Team

I know transfer fees are a bit crazy these days, but £35m for an Arsenal squad player with 1 year remaining seems a little steep, even with the English excess.

ShadesOfRed and T.C.B like this.
  3. Red&War

Red&War Well-Known Member

I'll be fuming if this rumour has legs. not saying he's a bad player but I feel we should be setting our sights much higher for that price.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  4. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Mbappe
    Pulsic
    Dembele - Dortmund
    Keita

Please no Ox

5. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Oxlade Chamberlain is a believable target but the price puts it in a range where you can question the marbles,if he gets a run without injuries he is a very dangerous player to have but it's a big if.

Alright Now, T.C.B, James H and 2 others like this.
  6. pottymonster

pottymonster I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

Too many injuries, and he's scored less than I thought he had.

I'm not against anybody that Klopp wants to bring in, he's shown that who he wants tend to get it done, but I find it hard to believe Ox is someone he wants.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  7. pottymonster

That said, with Arsenal set to miss out on the Champions League, it's quite possible they let go of quite a few of these somewhat peripheral players... Ox, Walcott, Ramsey, Wilshere... Quite likely Sanchez and Ozil move as well. There might be someone available from them that would give us a boost?

8. RedBaron

RedBaron Curse you RedBaron!!!!

I'm loving that list.

9. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

I am pretty sure at £35m we can get better players than him.

RobLFC likes this.
  10. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Mbappe didnt do us any favours tonight and Monaco always get top dollar for their players

But even at 80m you would have a player for the next 10 years

11. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

lol @ that price but for half that i wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him.

kwala likes this.
  12. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Off that list... how about Ramsey? We need another midfielder in the squad and always liked him. He's gone off the boil this season for whatever reason, but prior to that I'd have taken him, definitely.

Chewbazza and James H like this.
  13. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

I can't see Arsenal getting 35M for him, leaving aside potential and so on, he can sign a pre-contract in January. June is the last window Arsenal can really sell him on in. I think they would need to agree to a new contract to get that kind of value. If we offered say 25M, you have to ask which club would come in with a higher offer?

James H and Flobs like this.
  14. Flobs

Flobs FADA

I really like Ox. Hard working player with very good technical skills. I don't know what his injury history is yet think he is a decent addition to our clubs shopping list. As for transfer fees considering what we have paid in the recent past for English players £35 million is reasonable (fitness/injury issues aside).

spartacus136 likes this.
  15. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I cant see Ox coming here to play from the bench, and i dont see him playing ahead of the current starters if we keep this formation. It's an odd one. I like him but am concerned about his injuries.

James H likes this.
  16. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

It's a signing that improves our squad. We won't pay 35 million and he's far more attainable than some of the players listed in this thread.

Very easy to see why Klopp would want him, he could do a job in a number of positions for us.

spartacus136, Flobs and redfanman like this.
  17. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Wait I'm confused! Why would we be paying £35 million for Gibbs?

18. pottymonster

How has he been in regards to injuries this year? He had a lot of trouble with them in the past...

I think that's part of the problem with those players that I listed: there's plenty of talent, but they're all crocked.

James H and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  19. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

This figure of £35M is inflated big time. Can see the fee bring much lower when it comes to the crunch.

Personally, I like him and think he's got great potential. Just needs unlocking. If the price is right, worth a punt.

Flobs and Scott Jones like this.
  20. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

redfanman likes this.
  21. schmee

schmee Am I my own mentor or my own worst enemy?

I wouldn't put much trust in any Arsenal player's injury records simply due to how they've almost always got a large number of players injured. Either something is seriously wrong with their medical services at the club or the training is fecking the players over but it's been going on for far too long to simply be coincidence that so many of their players seem to be made of bulsa wood now.

As for Ox he's someone I'd quite like in the squad. Can't see him making the first 11 unless he ups his game but would provide a quality alternative for a few positions and is actually playing some of his best football in the cm position (basically the role that Lallana's doing for us).

However they're having a laugh at £35 million. Yes he's English and there's always a premium but with one year left on his contract they can go fudge themselves at that price.

22. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Arsenal know they won't be getting anything near that for him. They sold Van Persie after his best season for two thirds of that amount. Inflation or not, fifteen to twenty million pounds is a more realistic assessment, and I'm being generous - after all, he's mostly been a squad player for Arsenal for a while. I do wonder if there will be competition for his signature from other top six sides - he'd actually be a good fit at Tottenham and Mourinho likes to have diligent wingers but I doubt any of our rivals would bid because they will be busy frying much bigger fish. Maybe Everton?

These articles linking him to Liverpool suggest that Ox wants a central role. That I'd like to see if he joined Liverpool, he's a good passer, he's nippy, he can play those quick one-twos, burst into space left and right, press aggressively. The only real problem with this signing would be his fitness - if he was consistently fit, 35 million pounds for him, even with only one year left on his contract, would be a bargain. He's not a special talent like Mbappe or Pulišić or any latest big thing but I think that, if fit, he'd be a damn effective player for Klopp, easily one who could break into starting XI and reach double figures in goals and assists in majority of his seasons here.

23. Strictly Armchair

Strictly Armchair Perspective and equilibrium

The question is, does he offer us anything different to or an upgrade on what we already have? Probably not.
    Sanchez is the only one I'd really want us to snatch from the gooners (Bellerin being another possibility). If only we could give dear Alexis and Señora Sanchez a tour of St. John's Market they'd be up here in a flash. He wouldn't even ask for a signing-on fee.
    As for the rest of their squad, forget it. About as much strength of character as a grandmothers knitting club gathering. And I'm being harsh on the grannies too.

As for Ox coming to us, I'll be succinct, that's bollocks.

Merci et bonsoir. À demain.

Scott Jones likes this.
  24. T.C.B

T.C.B Well-Known Member

12-15M would be about right given his injury history and contract situation.
    What is it with Arsenal allowing players contracts to run down to a year or less before they take action? Would love Sanchez but can see him at Citeh or the Chavs next season.

25. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

They dont pay that well and so their existing players who will attract attention from other clubs are rarely eager to sign the offer.

redfanman and James H like this.
  26. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

I would be surprised to see Sanchez anywhere other than Bayern or Juventus, unless Arsenal somehow hold him. Bayern need to replace Robben and Ribery, and the Chilean sporting press says it is there or back to Italy.

27. Flobs

Flobs FADA

I can't see much in his injury history that would influence the transfer fee much except of course the time out preventing development. Unless you know something I don't?
    Don't forget we paid an astronomical fee for Ings considering his injury history. Oh! almost forgot his contract situation as well.
    So let's call it £20-25 million. :-)

28. Dave-D

Dave-D Well-Known Member

I'd feel the same about Liverpool signing him as I would if they missed out.

He doesn't strike me as anything special, at least Wijnaldum looked a player in a poor Newcastle team whilst Chamberlain just looks a middle of the road player at Arsenal. Also he wouldn't be near the top of any list of Arsenal players I'd want Liverpool to sign.

I'd prefer Liverpool to add another 10 million on the 35 and get Sanchez.

29. Flobs

Flobs FADA

Don't you mean another £35 million to get Sanchez?

ShadesOfRed and ILLOK like this.
  30. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Another agent story....