Alex Oxlade Chamberlain (RW, CM) Arsenal

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by jgw_geneseo, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

He should do it every week so the players learn to live with the pressure. Rafa told our players that they are better than the opposition every week. He learned our players to live with the pressure being a Liverpool player.

Some of our players can't cope with that pressure yet but they must learn or they will be sold. The only way they can learn is that Klopp tell them that they must win every game. From the start of next season he should tell them that first place is good enough and he should tell them that every week. They must learn that only three points is good enough if you play for Liverpool FC.

2. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

So you think the squad is mentally weak, and your solution is to indulge that weakness? Special stuff from you again.

By the way, no team has more points won from losing positions this year, so it might be a bit hasty to label the side as fragile - there is some steel there.

3. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Screwed up 3 trophies in two seasons, what this team does not need is the pressure of making the top 4 like winning a trophy, should be taking it one game at a time and trying to win that and focus on our style of play and hoping thats enough to get 3 points which it should be against all the teams we have to play

4. Makati Red

Agree with this to a degree but this season we just need to get over the line and take it from there. Now is not the time to put extra pressure on players to get 4th

5. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Right.... says someone who spoke about things that never happened as if it has happened twice already.

Scott Jones and redfanman like this.
  6. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

I love this 'screwed up ' stuff regarding finals.....as if they dropped the shopping or something.

They lost games of football versus very good teams.

schmee, RMP, Chewbazza and 4 others like this.
  7. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

We lost the EL final because of a shit referee that again a few days ago showed the world how shit he is. We didn't lost it to a better team. If one team is allowed to play handball and football then it is very difficult to beat them.

8. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Excuse me? Are you not familiar with Sevilla's recent history in Europe? Their whole model prior to this year has been built around winning the EL at the cost of their league placing . If anything they were very much underated by Liverpool fans.

Arminius and norwegian wood like this.
  9. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

I'm sure it's trash news.

RobLFC, Artrain and redfanman like this.
  10. redfanman

We didnt screw up 3 trophies. We werent favourites to win two of them. The fact we got ourselves in a position to win them doesnt suggest mental weakness.

11. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Didn't you know, mate? We never just lose a game against superior opposition. We always throw away victory because we're piss-poor mentally weak losers who should all be immediately sacked for having the temerity to not win every game they play.

Livvy, Chewbazza and redfanman like this.
  12. Makati Red

I am sure aware of what our great manager Bill Shankly has to say about winners and losers

We have been a bunch of losers ever since Kenny left thats a fact, Generally the mentally strong teams are the ones that win trophies not the ones that botch them up.

13. Makati Red

I think your expectations are way to high, we cant possibly win every game not even Chelsea have won every game and their top of the league. I think it is also very unfair to blame every defeat on mental weakness sometimes we get beat by a better team or get bad luck.

But in the games that matter I accept your point about us being mentally weak and actually agree with it.

14. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Whoooooosh

schmee, Kanonkop, Livvy and 5 others like this.
  15. redfanman

Thats 'clearly' not true. Arsenal for example are regularly lampooned for being mentally weak despite winning the FA cup in recent seasons. Using Mental strength as an explanation as to why a team wins or loses is usually just confirmation bias.

Our league cup final, we had virtually no pace in the side and on a large Wembley pitch that makes a lot of difference. Yet, we attacked for much of the game and lost in a penalty shoot out. City were strong favourites for that game. IF anything, our performance that day showed a lot of Mental strength.

16. Makati Red

The penalty shoot out showed our mental weakness, City were mentally much stronger

17. lfc.eddie

That was his other brother that didn't get your post... he has another brother who is more cynical and loves to throw some sarcastic remarks in here, then you have the other brother who loves to use the word clearly, then you have another one that will ask for everyone to be patient.... damn I think the entire Manila is posting on behalf I think.

18. redfanman

City had their regular penalty takers on the pitch, i dont think we did, plus studge couldnt barely walk. So, it wasnt an issue involving mental strength but of technique and fitness.

19. redbj

I've never really understood the assumption that losing a penalty shoot out is evidence of a weak mentality of the collective team.

Basically, five people ( or more) take a set price shot, some fail, some don't.

Becuase, say, Coutinho misses a penalty, how does that somehow make, say, lallana mentally weak.

What is becoming more and more evident, is calling Liverpool mentally weak is more a sign of the accusers real lack of football knowledge than anything.

Yeah...w e're not the toughest kids on the block, but, actually, no one is....are atletico...the darlings of the mentally tough brigade, actually mentally weak?, look at the trophies they have lost in the last few season...Madrid? Barca?, they won the league the last few seasons, are they mentally weak for dropping critical points on the run in?...

Bayern....are they just flat track bullies? Too mentally weak to secure more than one CL trophie despite a period of utter dominance?

Chelsea?, they won the league two seasons ago and shat the bed last season....Leicester....not mentally strong enough to back up last seasons efforts....

Basically....calling a team mentally weak is a sure indicator of a lack of real football intelligence.....it doesn't even actually mean anything.

RobLFC, schmee, Speckydodge and 5 others like this.
  20. D Fred

D Fred Active Member

The problem with loads of lads that claim to be fans is that they think everything is easy, whether that be winning games in one of the most competitive leagues in the world, buying players (possibly one of the most volatile assets imaginable), or running a multi-million-pound company with responsibility to millions of stakeholders. It means that berating the club at every opportunity for decisions they largely don't understand is natural. Crediting players, the manager, & the board, unless everything is absolutely going our way, is 'accepting mediocrity'. These bozos have probably ever been to Anfield, have never played football to a decent standard, if at all, & likely perform jobs that demand significantly less effort, commitment, competency, sacrifice & discipline than it would take to be successful in a league far less prestigious than the Premier League. Even so, they think it's appropriate to accuse football players, who are literally at the top of their profession, of lacking technique, &/or intelligence, mental strength & heart. "FSG out", "Michael Edwards/Ian Ayre have no idea what they are doing" is some of the stuff you hear from folk who would struggle to complete a tax return online. It's this unrelenting arrogance that means most are not actually fans, they're critics. To clarify, if you spend the majority of your time finding fault with something/one you are not a fan, and it's likely that you're doing a shit job providing any meaningful support.

21. redbj

Liked the gist, Ultimately this is a forum though....positive discussion about flaws is to be encouraged

legalalien, redfanman and D Fred like this.
  22. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

Yeah but there are some who would rather discuss who was at fault for the goal in a 5-1 win than appreciate the goals and the three points.

23. lfc.eddie

Agree with all except for the last part. We don't have millions of stakeholders mate, we have a group of maybe 20 stakeholders in FSG group. Running a company with millions in assets not too difficult, but running a football club is another kettle of fish altogether.

24. D Fred

D Fred Active Member

Fans are stakeholders, Bro.
    Running any company is challenging but if you practical experience of this not being the case, DM me your CV and I can guarantee you a six-figure salary.

Scott Jones and redfanman like this.
  25. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Stakeholders, not shareholders.

My GCSE in business studies coming through here.

Mascot88 and redfanman like this.
  26. redbj

To be fair, Lucas IS a fascinating subject though.......

redfanman and Chewbazza like this.
  27. D Fred

D Fred Active Member

Slagging the club, players, executives isn't usually a great basis for positive discussion though nor is it typically productive or instructive.
    Is it so radical to expect there to be similar rules that apply in normal interactions to online discussions?
    ie if you are having a discussion that is clearly beyond the scope of the person's understanding and experience or they are unnecessarily harsh should you not challenge those views and their basis. Why would you encourage that?

28. lfc.eddie

Firstly, stakeholders and fans are a very blur line, in many circumstances fans are seen as customers more than stakeholders. Second, I don't think you could afford me, six figure isn't what I aspire to earn. Very sorry to let you down there mate. Or Bro... lastly if you really consider fans as stakeholders, shouldn't the fans have a voice in how they want the club to be managed?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    redfanman likes this.
  29. D Fred

D Fred Active Member

Mate or bro is fine, it's rare but I also answer to buster.
    In business parlance, fans are stakeholders. A couple of reasons that stand out are that they are financial contributors (customers, if you like), and also for having vested interests in a culturally relevant asset whose activity impacts the region or community in which it resides. We are a stakeholder as to a degree the club is accountable to the fanbase.
    There are numerous supporter groups that work with the club on pricing, accessibility and areas of concern, as far as I am aware these include local organisations such as the Spirit of Shankly and various branches of LFC supporter clubs in other countries, so fans do have a say.
    You haven't let me down, as I was sure not to get my hopes up, chief. Hopefully you are being paid what you are worth.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  30. HKReds

HKReds Member

Getting the thread back on topic... JustHitMyHead's and Blaze's post just make me wonder what the general opinion if we trade Sturridge to Arsenal for Ox as both are stylistic fit for each club? Although I think Struddge is more proven and established but he hampered by more injuries and there is a chance that Ox might still develop into a world class player, I do think that it is a fair trade.