Alex Oxlade Chamberlain (RW, CM) Arsenal

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by jgw_geneseo, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Covered Ramirez well and stopped a break away but looked shoddy in front of goal,probably a bit rusty.

2. Joe Ware

Joe Ware Well-Known Member

He did quite well today but I think for 25-30m we should be able to do better than him.

Scott Jones and NickF like this.
  3. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

His contract expires in 2018 summer and that transfermrkt website rated him at £17m. Then again the same website put a £34m price tag on Coutinho and £32.5m on Mane. So I guess £25m seems fair for Oxlaide Chamberlain then... at least he never stops running. Unlike that Adams Traore, while his team is chasing the game he looked uninterested.

4. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

I still think we are looking for an english player who would fit in our style. (Because of the rules) And everyone knows that we have to pay more only because oft this. Is there anyone else we could go for? (Realistically)

5. lfc.eddie

Yes... Demarai Gray.

spartacus136, redfanman and Livvy like this.
  6. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Maybe it depends on cl or not cl....

7. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

Maybe Delph? Thought he was pretty good before he moved to City, no idea what's gone on with him since.

tabbyanne likes this.
  8. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

You guys want Liverpool to compete for the title and CL and are talking about signing Gray or Delph?! :rolleyes:

redfanman likes this.
  9. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Gray has something about him though a risk and Delph made his piss soaked bed so can enjoy it.:-)

redfanman likes this.
  10. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

Haha don't want Delph, just trying to think of English mids that play with energy to answer the question above, who might also be very available. I like Eddie's answer better.

Livvy likes this.
  11. lfc.eddie

Uhm we're talking about attainable English players who would cost us below silly money? IN the vicinity of £25m type of player, who would you have gone for if it wasn't Gray? Dele Alli? Besides Gray is playing for a Champs League team, so no fuss there.

Livvy likes this.
  12. rickardinho1

Not saying that we should sign any of these, but here are a few names that match your criteria in general

Oxlade-Chamberlain (12 months on contract)
    Luke Shaw (12 months on contract, albeit probably not available due to United)
    Michael Keane (12 months on contract)
    Ryan Sessegnon

Another few interesting young English players:
    Jordan Pickford
    Ben Chilwell
    Dominic Solanke (contract expires this summer)

13. lfc.eddie

@rickardinho1 you rolled your eyes on people mentioning Demarai Gray and Delph, but you put out a list of players with somewhat similar or lesser in ability? Solanke and Sessegnon have yet to pay for a Premier League side proper, let alone a Champs League game. Luke Shaw wasn't even able to get a spot as a left back for United, Michael Keane is playing in a side that was promoted last year and Pickford is a goalkeeper which we have plenty.

So how is that a much better lists to show intent to compete for title and champs league?

redfanman likes this.
  14. rickardinho1

I did clearly say "Not saying that we should sign any of these, but here are a few names that match your criteria in general

The criteria asked for was this: attainable + English + cost below silly money/In the vicinity of £25m type player.

I named 4 players who match that criteria - Ox, Shaw, Keane, and Sessegnon (who will cost £15-20m most likely so matches the criteria specified), albeit I did state that Shaw wasn't technically "attainable" due to United.

I then added "Another few interesting young English players" who obviously weren't meant to be part of the first group of players... it was just a "by the way" who I thought worth mentioning as they came to mind as I was thinking outside the box about young English players who might fit the criteria (but obviously not all of them)...

Regarding Shaw, he's clearly good enough to be a United player, he's just being mismanaged by an absolute beaut of a manager. Pretty sure no Liverpool fan would be complaining had we signed him from Southampton instead of United either.

Prolix likes this.
  15. lfc.eddie

@rickardinho1 the point of the discussion is if not Oxlaide Chamberlain then who else would be a preferred player to sign to cover the FA trained spot vacated by Sturridge. If you are not putting that list because you think they are suited as replacement, then what's the point of this discussion then? And Shaw moved to United at £30m, you think United would give us £10m discount?

redfanman and Livvy like this.
  16. rickardinho1

Regarding FA trained players, the Uefa A-list permits you to have 4 FA-trained players, plus 4 club-trained players. Even without Sturridge we've got 5-6 FA trained players (Milner, Clyne, Henderson, Lallana, Ings, and Gomez) so buying English for the quota is not a massive concern at this stage, though naturally it wouldn't hurt to sign Oxlade-Chamberlain to pad the quota a bit while keeping him away from rivals.

As for Shaw, he has 12 months on his contract so probably wouldn't go for £30m. I never said I thought he would go for £20m though. United wouldn't sell him to us anyways so it doesn't matter anyways, but it'll be interesting to see how that plays out. If United let him leave I could see Arsenal getting involved.

Funny how so many of United's big signings of young players have fizzled out recently... eg. Shaw £30m, Depay £28m, Martial £50m+,... These were all players we would happily have signed but haven't exactly succeeded at United. Bodes well for the future as it makes it more likely that good young players will choose us instead of them.

eng.amohd likes this.
  17. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

If all the Ox rumours are true, then most certainly Sturridge is leaving and we will be trying to get only 1 top Forward and Hendoesque midfielder, since Ox can cover for Mane AND Lallana.
    Getting a determined, hardworking, versatile, 23yo, quick and talented English player for 20-25M is a no brainer for me.

18. rickardinho1

If we signed him I reckon Ox could be signed with a view of playing in midfield rather than on the wing more often than not. He just simply doesn't have the attacking output to play further forward in Klopp's system, and ideally we need another proper goal scoring winger to backup Mané / replace Sturridge&Ings

--------------- Henderson
    ------------------- Can
    --------- Lallana ---- Wijnaldum
    ---------- Ox ---------- Grujic
    Mané ---------------------- Coutinho
    ST/RW ------------------- Playmaker (eg. Brandt)
    -------------- Firmino
    --------------- Origi

D Fred and eng.amohd like this.
  19. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

I can't like this enough! I believe the "striker" position is well covered by Bobby, Origi and Woodburn. The Mane and Coutinho positions are where we need to strengthen. Plus a CB, LB and maybe a Hendo position player for the future. 4 top players and 2 squad players would make us really unstoppable!

20. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Decent game from him here in midfield, though it was against a weakened Southampton side if I remember correctly. Plays some lovely passes in this though. Also, takes set pieces. This is the kind of role I'd imagine he'd have here, filling in/competing for Lallana or Gini spots.

Another thing to note, that probably hasn't escaped Klopp, according to the Arsenal fans on Arsenal Mania he's always giving 100% and doing things like clapping the fans at the end of every game even if they've been tonked. They seem to think he cares more than the rest. I've no doubt that would endear him to our boss.

21. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I watched him last night in right wingback role - I think that was the first time he ever played it and he was pretty good at it, yellow card aside. Sanchez scored a worldie and played a key role in their winner but Ox was immense in both shutting down Boro players and surging forward and creating chances. I don't see why anyone would be against signing a player of his talent and dedication, especially if Klopp adds further quality to this side (predominantly in defence), though injuries are a major worry.

rickardinho1 and redfanman like this.
  22. lfc.eddie

Yes that's the part that I like about him. He seems to put his head down and do all the dirty work for his teammates, shut his mouth when not being picked and don't go mouthing off his club or manager that he wants to be loved. The best of all, he fired Aidy Ward.

Chewbazza, redfanman, MarkMcC and 2 others like this.
  23. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Coincidence that since then he has repeatedly been linked with us?

Kanonkop and lfc.eddie like this.
  24. HKReds

HKReds Member

Watched him and I thought he did ok only. He tracks back and works hard but somehow I don't think he is good at winning the ball and he did struggle defensively. Overall, I feel he will be a good signing but not at 30mil with one year left as there is still quite a bit of raw edges of his game to be iron out.

25. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Looking at this Atletico side makes you acknowledge that good managers know how to get more out of players than we may believe is possible. Imagine if we'd signed Niguez, Torres and Savic a couple of years ago, this forum would have gone into meltdown. Yet they're players competing at the top of the La Liga and getting to the late stages of the Champions league.

If we are really interested in Chamberlain this early, Klopp obviously believes he can get a lot out of him. Why can't we be patient enough to see it play out before deciding it isn't good enough? Klopp's already done it with Lallana, a player most of us didn't think had this level of performance in him from what was produced under Rodgers.

26. rickardinho1

Agree. I doubt Ox would be considered primarily for RW due to his low number of goals and assists, but he would be an very good versatile squad player to have primarily covering for Lallana and Wijnaldum.

27. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

it takes some getting used to, the last time the supporter base (as a majority) could relax a bit and say, 'lets just see what the manager has planned here' Rafa was just beginning to grow a goatee.

I agree with your sentiment, although its more indicative of Klopps performance, than say, any given players natural 'ceiling'.

after getting in gini and mane last season for what I would call, well and truly full market price, I was underwhelmed but more than happy to be patient...'theres no way Citeh or Chelsea would buy them..right???'

they fucking well would now. so yep...agree with ILLOK here...the names a more interesting than anything nowadays....

'the ox?...I wonder what hes got planned for him?'

redfanman likes this.
  28. rickardinho1

I agree that the best thing to do is just to let Klopp get on with it and judge signings after a season or two, because he's clearly got a plan, and every personnel decision he's made thus far has made logical sense, with the possible exception of underestimating the number of players he would need for the season (especially January).

If we signed Ox I would be very surprised if his primary position wasn't in CM rotating with Lallana and Wijnaldum. He can do a solid enough job at RW, but he doesn't have anywhere near the end product that Klopp typically looks for in his front 3 players.

Klopp usually moves more attacking players further back in an effort to get goals into the team, exemplified by his conversion of Piezcek and Durm into fullbacks, as well as how he shifted Lallana and Wijnaldum into CM from their previous No.10/AM roles.

Thus, if we signed Ox I'd expect him to be moved back to midfield as well, and for the additions to the front 3 to be more pure attacking players (eg. Brandt & Werner - one playmaker, and one versatile goalscorer).

The midfield would shape up like this:

----------- Henderson (26)
    -------------- Can (21)
    --- Lallana (28) ------ Wijnaldum (26)
    ---- Ox (23) ------------ Grujic (21)

(plus Stewart, Ejaria, Chirivella, etc)

That midfield has pretty good depth and the perfect great age profile, and assuming that a LB is signed we'd also have additional depth from the fact that Milner can cover in midfield as well.

As an added bonus stealing the Ox from Arsenal and keeping him from rivals would be beneficial in terms of Uefa homegrown quotas too, which is undoubtedly a key consideration judging by the extortionate fees City have had to pay for Stones and Sterling, along with having to include Delph in their CL squad instead of Yaya this season :-)

SirBillShankly likes this.
  29. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

If we get Ox then I believe Coutinho sometimes at CM doesn't happen. Ox rotates with Lallana, Can rotates with Henderson and we probably get another CM (Keita?) to rotate with Gini. But Ox can also play on the right or both sides of the front 3. Could be our move to kill the need of another/second CM and another/second winger (where the priority is apparently Brandt). But he's still mentioned only as an option on the list of names, I'm fine with it, it's a good enough idea/contract situation for him to be on it.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  30. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

I have seen people here raising concerns that he is injury prone rather than he is not qualit y enough. Klopp is a great manager - i agree. But he can't stop a player from getting injured. DS is an example.