Alex Oxlade Chamberlain (RW, CM) Arsenal

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by jgw_geneseo, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

DM Keita, Henderson, Can
    RM Lallana, Ox
    LM Gini, Grujic

However Henderson and Can can easily fill in at RM and LM, so unless you have massive injuries I doubt you would look past those 7 players all season with the possible of exception of Coutinho covering for Lallana if we were going all out attack

I would suggest the best would be Keita, Hendo and Lallana

2. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

It hardly makes any sense footballing or financial wise to have Can as 3rd choice DM. He'd surely never agree to sign a contract extension if that was his role in the squad. You'd also have to question the logic of signing Grujic too if we stocked up on midfielders.

With that in mind It would be highly surprising if we brought in 2 CM's. It makes sense to have 2 players per position, and just 1 CM is needed for that

-------- Henderson
    ----------- Can
    --- Lallana ------ Wijnaldum
    --- New CM ----- Grujic

Also worth noting that with a new LB signed we could use Milner in midfield in an emergency, plus youngsters like Ejaria, Trent, and Woodburn rounding out the squad.

Though the Oxlade-Chamberlain move would be sensible, I get the feeling that it's nothing more than agent leaks to try to get Arsenal to cave to his wage demands. You see it every year with stories about a player with 12 months remaining... and then magically a few weeks later they sign a contract extension. The Inaki Williams story's linking him to Liverpool last season are a prime example of that. It would also be fairly inept of Arsenal to let a young English player like that go as well.

3. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/arsenal/sto...-oxlade-chamberlain-a-revelation-at-wing-back

"Arsene Wenger: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain 'a revelation' at wing-back"
    :-)

Kopstar and redfanman like this.
  4. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

redfanman likes this.
  5. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Yeah, the rest of the comment didnt look good for him either. He said something along the lines of sometimes a change in formation reveals a good fit for a player, which sort of suggests that he think he's been a bit lucky by how well Ox has taken to the role

6. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Looks like the arse are offering him £100,000 pw in a new deal,this surely puts us out of it seeing as he would not be worth that for us,maybe he chooses playing over money but can't see us matching it.

7. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Get the feeling he was a backup option who might have been readily available due to his contract situation, perhaps if we'd missed out on Brandt or similar. It isn't one I'd really beat myself up over not happening.

Mark Thurgood, RobLFC, inaiq and 2 others like this.
  8. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

I'm always of the mind that it's only worth bothering about who you do sign, not who you don't.

I'd have been happy with Ox, but won't be shedding any tears at his not coming.

9. kenno91

kenno91 TIA New Signing

for the amount of money id say step back and take a look around the rest of the world for players in the price range and you will find better ones than the OX. if he was cheaper then yes (20m) but anything above that defo a no for me

10. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

If that is the case, it is either a signal that Arsenal rate him far more than they play him and plan to change that, or that they are under major pressure to keep their squad.

Livvy, redfanman and Scott Jones like this.
  11. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Maybe Arsenal rate their players based on market rate whether they are a starter or not?

12. CymruRed

CymruRed TIA Youth Team

Good little player and could be of use in the squad being able to play both CM and RW,maybe Klopp could get more out of him than Arsenal have but for the £20-35mill price tag being banded about,i'd stay well away.His fitness/injury record is bad,surely we could get a similar quality of player abroad for a lot less,which would enable us to keep the bulk of our transfer funds for a higher class of first team starter.

13. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

On the basis of past exits, often not. Their tight structure seems to have loosened in the last few years, but for the likes of Sanchez and Oesil. This would be something of a new level.

redfanman likes this.
  14. BrandonM_867

BrandonM_867 New Member

The OX, has got very good technical ability,pace and skill plus is very versatile. A perfect addition to our squad so if I was Jurgen, I'd sign him up

15. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Never been a big fan but he was good yesterday

16. kipland007

kipland007 TIA Youth Team Valued Member

I don't know about this one. He's very talented but hasn't ever really been able to put together a consistent run of performances. It seems like he usually has about 5 games a season where he's Arsenals best play, but inevitably loses his place and has to fight his way back into the squad.

The number one thing that seems to stick out to everyone is his speed and quickness, which to me usually seems to be a big red flag in a players overall potential (Townsend, Lennon, Walcott are other English players that seem to have the same promise but can never reach their peak). His decision making seems poor and I've noticed that a few times in possession, he just runs around for a few minutes without making a single pass. That sort of behavior really irritates me, although there are plenty of players who do it with varying degrees of success (Mane, for example, although he's got a lot of other things going for him).

His versatility and physical strength are a big plus, and honestly he's not the sort of player I'd mind having around. I just don't feel that he will really give us the options that we need in either area of the pitch where he can function. Maybe the best comparison is like a more attacking and younger Milner. He's a good player to have one of but at this place I don't know if he'd be a great option.

17. Bensud

Bensud New Member

Ox would be a great signing the way we play.

Pace and power. Central or out wide, especially if mane is unavailable. Great to break these park the bus teams at home. Mane one side and ox the other, stretch the pitch.

Listen 35 million is the going rate in this market, improve us ten fold and prob no other big clubs after him which helps us.

big noyd likes this.
  18. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Scott Jones, ILLOK and redfanman like this.
  19. Danny_

Danny_ Well-Known Member

We don't need another crock. Other than that, he would be a decent signing but I would not be paying 35m for him, even in today's crazy market

20. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

If Ox comes over, shouldn't Arsenal be paying us for relieving the pressure of their doctors and freeing 1 bed in the treatment room.

Krimson likes this.
  21. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

He hasn't been injured this season...

22. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

I have a feeling this one is happening. If player is adamant he isn't signing an extension and only willing to move to us then Arsenal have to decide between a fair offer of £20 million this year or nothing next year. Regardless of if they wanted more. Only hope they have is either persuading him to extend his deal or hoping another club appeals to him for an auction to take place. From rumours and write ups he's wanting to come to us to rebuild his career though as Klopp is probably best option for that.

redfanman likes this.
  23. kenno91

kenno91 TIA New Signing

20mil no more in my opinion...........

24. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I find it interesting that Liverpool are still targeting players who they failed to sign in the past (Mane, Salah, Ox etc.). I'm genuinely getting the feeling that Ox doesn't want wads of cash to sit on the bench and he performs damn well whenever he's called upon, in any position he's called upon. By the way, two assists in two league matches against Man United this season, both from sublime crosses, one as a sub at RW, one as a starter from RWB role. Injuries are a worry, maybe a change of training regime would help? In any case, I believe that signing him and Keita would significantly strengthen our options, especially in midfield, though I honestly wouldn't mind seeing him in wide roles, with or without Mane.

Ironically, his form at RWB has been one of key components of Arsenal's recent revival, I hope it doesn't cost Liverpool a Champions League place.

25. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

We're clearly not unsettling him enough. Time to start leaking to the press that he could be set to join our highest earners but only if we qualify for the Champions League.

Nikola, ILLOK and redfanman like this.
  26. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

I think we'd like both Keita and Ox. Keita to compete with Gini and possibly start over him if he proves his quality, Ox to backup for Mane and also Lallana.

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  27. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

I'm nut sure he would come here just as a backup to sit on the bench.
    But if he manages to stay fit (which he did most of the season) and keep or even improve his current form he might be more than a squad player for klopp anyway.

redfanman likes this.
  28. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

I don't see how he starts either, Lallana and Mane are two of our top players this season. Of course, that's speaking from a perspective in which Ox hasn't played a minute for Liverpool yet. We're going into Europe next season, our team is short and maybe Ox would accept being not an automatic starter, but a different environment. A new coach who could maybe work better with him, who might trust him more in a central role (in our 4-3-3, as opposed to Arsenal's 4-2-3-1, which could be ideal for Ox), a style of football (more direct and more transition, even if we're hitting big possession this season, in general it's not the same philosophy) that might suit him more. Simply replace his current Arsenal situation with something new, perhaps playing a bit more, playing more where he wants and getting a better chance to improve himself further.

29. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Where do you see him play if he is not going to be in a squad rotation or a backup? Do you see him taking Mane or Coutinho's spot? I certainly don't want to see him taking up Firmino's spot as I would rather us go for someone who is really lethal in front of goal in that position. Part of the midfield 3? Doubt he could work as an anchor in midfield, and you see him taking over Wijnaldum or Lallana's position? Really curious to know where you think he would start over our current first team starters.

I do think he might take up Wijnaldum's spot, I do rate him higher than Wijnaldum. But is that his best position because it would require him to play a bit of defensive role too when needed.

RaoulDuke and redfanman like this.
  30. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

@lfc.eddie

I don't even know anymore what his best position could be, after all this RWB/RB talk etc.
    Of course he couldn't take Cou's or Mane's spot (although I really doubt Mane will be here long-term).
    Not sure about Firminho though.
    Or, like you said, he might doa better job than gini.
    The thing is, I'm still not sure if we have seen the best of the Ox yet.
    Beside his injuries, I don't trust Wenger to get the best out of english/british players. Call it biased if you will :-)
    Klopp on the other hand might be able to improve him.