Anfield Atmosphere Discussion

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Dublin_Kopite, Oct 23, 2015.

1. redyukka

redyukka YNWA

Atmosphere in the upper centenary was really good, in particular the first half. I lost my voice about 60 minutes into the game so need to work on that. Plenty of chanting, loads of clapping even when we missed chances. There was a group of lads who took it upon themselves to kick off chants and people were all too eager to join in. Not experienced that in a category C game before. They usually suck.

The best moment was just before the sending off when everyone seemed to start clapping and gave a standing ovation from nowhere - I assume the Kop started it. We all stood and clapped and started chanting LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL. Honestly it was as if Hull shit a brick and their guy HAD to block the shot or they were fucked. So he handballed it and we walked the game after that.

The second half was quieter but we were 3 goals up and sat in the corner nearest the Anfield Road end, the action was a distance away. Also the beer has worn off a bit and my voice was borked.

Chanting for Klopp happened after "You'll never walk alone" right at the end. And we were safely winning 5-1. Klopp said he doesn't mind chanting his name when we've won and we had. Emphatically.

YNWA

2. FritzWalterndCatfishing

FritzWalterndCatfishing everythingkrauterthaneveryoneelse†ripmrkilmister†

Some bundesliga ULTRA supports CREWS are so sleepy singsang and you can strg C the singsang to strg v the singsang to another club and there is no difference. That is a really lousy phenomenum. sleepy one 2. then better a shiteh support.

but here are big safe stands. with many people. who have a drink or seriusly 2 because the tickets are cheap, and thats why the oldskool flair is somtimes always there.

we just need safe stands. point.

off topic. haha :eh?: got a new game add on tia , t"the liberators" wtf this must be prince harrys handy game

someone else see this add ?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Nur der BvB09 likes this.
  3. Saroon

Saroon We are the Reds are you listening

The atmosphere where I sit in row 3 lower in the new main stand is a bit quiet until the away supporters piss us off especially Leicester singing the same old songs cannot wait for the mancs it going to electric would not put it past them throwing things at us just like Sevilla did when I was next to them in the final

4. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

One thing that would, IMO, improve the atmosphere would be the introduction of rail seating / safe standing. There's an article in the Guardian about the Liverpool Supporters Union (Spirit of Shankly) members voting overwhelmingly in favour of taking a position on safe standing. The article says that the LSU is to consult with fans and with the Hillsborough families. Apparently the Hillsborough Family Support Group is strongly opposed to safe-standing, while the Hillsborough Justice Campaign is open to discussing the idea. Here's a link to the article:
    https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...rs-consult-hillsborough-safe-standing-anfield

Personally, I hope we can get across the board agreement on having safe-standing and maybe one day that aspect of the Taylor report can be updated and changed to take account of technical advances such as rail-seating. Would be great to see the Kop all standing again, together with a commensurate cut in the ticket prices of course which would enable younger fans to go to the match more regularly.

5. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

I think standing is a good idea. Lets not forget this is nothing like the old days.

Before, you entered the terrace and stood where you like. People would flood in and stand in a crowd like you would watching a rock concert.

Safe standing means everyone still has an allocated spot like you do with a seat. Theres no overcrowding.

Standing used to involve entering a pen, but current stadiums involve walking up stairs and through walkways to get to your seats.

Safe standing could turn the Kop from 12,000 to 20,000+ and with the Anfield road expansion could see the stadium capacity closer to 70,000.

6. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

Another thing to bear in mind is that the Kop usually stands during a game anyway and safe standing is far safer than standing for 90 minutes with normal seats behind you (and no rail in front to hold onto).

So actually rail seats are far safer than all seater if people dont sit down anyway.

7. treboeth

treboeth Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the recent troubles at West Ham will not help the argument for safe standing, until the idiots get lifetime bans from all football and jail sentences as a deterrent safe standing is going to be a tough argument to win.
    Most clubs see the benefits I would imagine :?:

8. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

What happened?

9. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

For us as a club though, 3 sides seated, 1 Kop standing, is a perfect balance. 65-70,000 capacity with this configuration.

We wouldnt need to expand the stadium, we improve the atmosphere, its safer than standing with normal seats, and likely the fans get cheaper tickets.

Its win, win, win, win as far as im concerned

10. treboeth

11. treboeth

IKR but unfortunately it`s the idiots who dictate what happens in these situations, not sure if I mean the hooligans or the FA :?:

12. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

The glory years LFC support used to be about (the fans present) first digesting the players who would play that day in first team ...and then calling /chanting every single one of their names. Like "Ronnie Whelan, (boom boom), clap/clap" or else "There's only one Peter Beardsley!" and then the tempo was (ever more) raised to decibel level. Up until the player then responded with a (maybe shy) wave to the Anfield and Kop faithful. Then trigger some furious clapping, before the Kop would instantly then turn it's attention to the next player and then the next and so on. It made absolutely no difference who played though, as if even Nicky Tanner was getting played at some emergency CB role, the entire Kop would just go " Nicky Tanner!!" - until he responded with a wave back. Haha.

Every single game and every single warm-up ...and every single LFC player was always "included" by the Kop. I've no idea what that meant to the players themselves, but every single LFC player would surely have been racked by performance nerves (no matter how experienced or how good they were) prior to any game. Not to even mention any debutants etc. The entire Kop would however just stand and applaud every single player though. It's just gotta be a real massive confidence boost to just hear about 35K people applaud you (personally) and really name-drop you, just prior to kick-off. That stuff just about never happens anymore btw ...which is an enormous pity too.

The other thing that never happens anymore is just the very guttural Scouse chant of "Liverpool, Liverpool (bang-bang) !!" That was always a ferocious and almost primeval call-to-arms. Instead we get the very formulaic football chants and songs, that just do not do it. Big games maybe, but lesser games not so much.

Have a listen to Pink Floyd's "Fearless" here, for example. Roger Waters is an Arsenal fan (for life), but he co-wrote and sampled the raw and very Scouse power of the Kop in this song. I love 3 things above all else and these are (in
    no particular order) Climbing the high mountains, LFC and (original) Guitar music. "Fearless" is not Pink Floyd's most renowned song (at all) ...but it might very well be their very, very best one. Waters here used a very rare and highly unusual guitar template aka an "open G/ G major" tuning for the song (which he learned from the brilliant Syd Barrett, btw). He also sampled the infamous LFC Kop all-throughout this song including a spine-chilling climax and a full-on minute-long Scouse choir.

The (very limited) lyrics of "Fearless" are also incredibly OK too. A real celebration of the more serious climbing stuff (aka it's maybe the best climbing-oriented song every written) It's also maybe the very best-ever LFC hommage stuff too to our infamous Kop, of yesteryear stuff. It's also an incredible guitar piece too (and in full-on G too!) aka the lyrics are:

So ...you say the hill is too steep to climb (hah!)
    Then, you say ...you'd like to see me try climbing?

You just pick the place - and I will choose the time ...and then I will climb!
    The hill, in my own way. Just wait a while ...for the right day.
    And then I'll rise above the tree line and the clouds and I will
    look down hearing sounds of the things you said today

Fearlessly, the idiot who faced the crowd ...smiling
    Mercilessly, the magistrate turns around ...frowning
    And who's the fool now ... and who will wear the crown?

Just go down in your own way. And everyday is the right day
    And as you rise above the fear lines in your brain.
    Then you will look down and you will hear the sound of the "faces in the crowd".

Impossible to stagger the lyrics to fit Waters voice though. Impossible also to even attempt to try to replicate the once-upon-a-time primeval and very Scouse roar of the Anfield Kop. Below is Waters doing "Fearless" (IMO his best-ever song) just 5 days ago in Mexico City (and god bless the Internet here and god bless Waters too, as just so incomparably good at what he does). This is (and I'm very serious here) and very probably the very best pink Floyd song (of all-time). Just the incredible layers and techmanship to it, the slow up-go and melancholic (bit psychedelic) beat, then the skill transitions stuff too that just goes way above any other song they (PF) ever made.

Not the most popular (of course not), but just such craftsmanship and utter skill on show. The level of skill needed here is miles above "Dark side of the moon" stuff ...which was also pretty OK ;-) btw, but just so popularism too. This is at another level still ...and it's also all about the absolute might of the Kop too. Plus climbing too. What's not to love, then haha ;-) PF never performed "Fearless" live btw. Nor "Pillows", nor "Cluster" either. Maybe that's a shame ...but all are of such technical brilliance, that it's hard to see how to do it "on stage" Just like how the real (and completely savage) Kop sound can only ever be very poorly conveyed. It just cannot be "staged" aka it was how it was. Not even the best YNWA nowadays (as staged) comes close to the very guttural and instinctive YNWA of times-long-gone.

First time Floyd (or any ex-Floyd guy) has ever played it's incomparably brilliant "Fearless" live to any public anywhere. Including the full 1970's LFC Kop Scouse roar to climax the song too. Glad he did it aka to play a classic live to public. Any Floyd fan ...and to hear "Fearless" being played on-stage would be gold dust and just-about Bucket-list stuff.This song is never played - even if it was there best-ever song.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  13. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

Don't get the argument against safe standing tho. Families with little kids would likely stay away from the stand without seats anyways and the rowdy types would definitely gather there, to get rowdy with cheering and just have a party.
    There must be like hundreds of stadiums in football with a seat free stand with no fighting going on.
    I just can't see Liverpool fans finghting among themselves in the Kop just because they stand up. I really don't get it.

Heck you could just dedicate a stand for families only. Lots of clubs do that. Then theres no risk they end up sit next to rowdy types that may end up fighting, which is rare scenes at football games anyways now a days.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  14. treboeth

Unfortunately we are not the ones who make these decisions, and when media sites post stories about fans fighting the FA and others in positions to make decisions will go against the seated option.
    And while I agree most LFC fans would not fight each other, every club has a lunatic element who take pleasure in trouble :-(

15. legalalien

Sorry, but I don't see what the West Ham fans fighting has to do with safe-standing. The seats at the London Stadium are standard seats and the fighting occurred because arguments over who should be sitting where. Seems more like a ticket allocation snafu rather than anything else.

16. treboeth

Well if you read my posts, basically any football related violence is held in bad esteem by the powers that be, regardless of whether it has a direct bearing or not.
    The media do not help by shit stirring to get clicks viewers or sales.

17. legalalien

Ah, OK. I get your point now.

Convincing the powers that be is just one of many hurdles that would have be cleared before safe-standing could happen. For one thing, the Premier League would have to change its regulations to enable individual clubs to make a decision on whether to have it or not.

18. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

The clubs in Premier League could put some pressure on FA to change that rule if they stick together. They could threaten to boycott the micky mouse cup for starters. FA is not that strong compare to the clubs if it comes down to it. Who would stick up for FA? nobody.

19. treboeth

Interesting story for us both and a test of the FA and the governments attitude towards this
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37574843

Brighton & Hove Albion are exploring the possibility of installing limited safe standing at the Amex Stadium.

The Championship club will consult supporters about their plans, but they will be unable to carry them out until the government changes legislation.

20. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

League One and below is currently allowed. Premier League and Championship is not allowed yet.

Celtic have installed them this season for 2900 spaces.

Maybe it will be phased in slowly. Championship first then Premier League.

21. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

This flat out gave me goose bumps. I fell in love with the club in the early eighties and heard Fearless at just about the same time. And I agree, Meddle was their best album, but if we can split hairs, Echoes is my favorite on it.

And do I take you by the hand
    And lead you through the land
    And help me understand the best I can...

Thanks for the post. Awesome.

22. redyukka

redyukka YNWA

Meddle is probably my favourite Pink Floyd album. Way before its time.

23. cardiffpete

In our Glory days at LFC (aka late '70's to late '80's ), there was always just one guy on the Kop who had a huge banner (and he also travelled to every away game too, along with the rest of us) and he also travelled to every European game away (and to every home night) too. This banner was also at the Heysel too, loud and proud. Then it just disappeared at some point in time ...and I just do not know when either. As you didn't. It was always there, until suddenly it wasn't ;-)

The banner just read " We climb the hill in our own way". Awesome that. Once or twice he also had a sister banner too, which then read "We do it the right way". No idea who the guy was or whatever happened to him ...but for many, many years he was just always there on the Kop, until he suddenly just wasn't anymore. Of course, he "borrowed" this theme aka message from the Floyd (and very obviously from "Fearless" too) ...but not any bad place to borrow this type of sentiment stuff from.

"Echoes" aka yes too ... and I actually really rate that one also ...but 23+ minutes is maybe a bit too much, for me ;-) To me, I can actually play "Fearless" just so easily in a basic open tuning ...but I can just about never "nail" the song properly - as it just never sounds "right". I have really tried too, really very hard as well - but it's just always just "off". There are just so many little tricks and tangents to it, that are maybe left unexplored (as almost never played).

Robbie Wyckhoff does a pretty awesome job here on lead guitar (for Waters in Mexico) ...to play this very hard song "the right way". Fearless is all about "time". To many, a maybe very nondescript song (and maybe nothing special to listen to) ...but it is just such a very difficult piece to (even try to) replicate. The layers to this song are just goddamn hard to get at.

It seems such an easy and very simplistic song, but you then just cannot play it well. Then you realise that it is just not simple at all.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  24. Nur der BvB09

Nur der BvB09 Active Member

Cruyff, though, recalls not so much the match but what was going on in the stands.

I stood on the pitch at Anfield with goosebumps. Not because I was scared of our opponents but because of the atmosphere.

The huge Kop stand where the most fanatical supporters were, and all their singing: Anfield was incredibly impressive.

I really enjoyed it for 90 minuted. From that evening English football had captured my heart.

I had never seen anything like this – the passion for the game, and how much the fans wanted their team to win, and it made me think that one day I would like to play in England.

For shure there s no better place in the world!! Anfield was is and ll always be Nr. 1!!YNWA

25. cardiffpete

That was just after the infamous mist-game at Ajax, when an 18 y.o Cruyff beat LFC 5-1 in Amsterdam and then had to travel to Anfield for the 2nd tie. Shanks thought we would surely get revenge and just beat them 7-0 ...but it was not to be, as Cruyff netted twice in the 2-2. That was very probably the birth of total football. Shanks then came into the Ajax dressing room (at Anfield), to then congratulate them and to just say the "War is over".

Cruyff did say how he's never felt any awesome power like facing the Kop though that night. Shanks actual playing LFC team did not scare him, but that raw power of it's backdrop support was just an awe to behold. BTW, in Holland these 2 games are still regarded as the origins of total football and are held in legendary status and esteem. The next 4 years saw a refinement from the basic 4-4-2, to the 4-2-4 and then to the Cruyff stuff of 4-3-3. All little tweaks ...but the very birth of Cruyff football happened in both these games and it all happened against LFC too. These 2 games were the birth of Ajax, in modern times.

26. Alright Now

Cardiff: being new around here, I'm always wary of going off course. However, I wanted to thank you for two wonderfully genuine and genuinely wonderful posts. I could sense a passion for Liverpool and music, both of which I share. But mostly, I loved the posts for your passion alone. I'll concede on the Fearless versus Echoes debate. The very fact that I can play Echoes probably tells you Fearless is musically superior. Hell, maybe some day, you and I can jam on Pigs on the Wing. Walk on.

cardiffpete and Nur der BvB09 like this.
  27. legalalien

28. cardiffpete

Fearless is almost unparalleled guitar mastery! It really is! I've tried and tried ....but it's just too difficult to play it all that very well.

Syd Barrett (of the Floyd) actually developed this very highly unusual way of playing the 6-string Open G tuning (to maybe emulate 12-string stuff). From 1st string up, it's basically B to B (and it just must sound absolutely 100% identical on both 1st and 2nd string ...or else you just cannot play this song at all), then it's basic and normal G on 3rd, then D on 4th, then you go down to G on 5th string ...and then you get the whole world of pain (of real Syd Barrett stuff and a radical up-note) on the 6th string (also G). This is the big alteration here ...and it makes all the difference in the world too. Just brilliant guitar innovation as well.

Then you have the sheer amount of stuff happening even in the 4-bar intro (and the next and the next again) ....and the song (proper) hasn't even started by then. Even to (try to) tune your maybe older guitar (on 6th) to G is also a whole world of pain (literally too) ...as so many older strings will just snap and break under the strain, but it does also yield a very unique sound. It's all about baby steps here and in inching it ever closer to G, always (and all-the-while) dreading the very second that your string will then just snap under the savage pressure, being applied to it. You can chicken out here and just get a 010 string and fit that in instead ;-) The utter brilliance of Syd though (as he invented this way of playing the Open G) was the almost Barre-style stuff of the 6th and 3rd string then just about hypnotically interacting (on the frets) to just deliver wonderful and very hypnotic and harmony-based guitar beats. Syd's radical stuff on basic tuning just almost allowed everything aka slides, fingers, fret hammers, up-downs. "Nothing you can do that can't be done" ...as John Lennon once said.

The huge problem with (trying to) play "Fearless" is that DG used fully 4 lead guitars (all-interchanged and the Strato, Strato with Open G set-up, the steel-string acoustic Open G and the rhythm middle/clear pickup) in the Studio recording and that Waters also played 2nd lead guitar on the rampant lead fills too (and not rhythm but basic slide/lead with the side pickups) ...so how can you 1) Replicate 5 differing guitars, with just one and 2) How can ever then you "time" this song properly. Even in the very basic down-down-up-down, then try to hammer one fret and then lift a D-minor (somehow out of nowhere, with a 2-string bar) and then go up and across and just release all strings at exactly the right time, then re-engage. It's simple enough in theory ...but it's just very, very tough to get it anywhere near right.

Glad they used YNWA though (which is C-sharp, so just about the opposite end of the scale from G too) ...which is also just so highly unusual. I'm just loving Waters (aged 73 btw) having the guts to finally get around to playing "Fearless" in public ....and to not just play it, but to actually "ace" it as well. Some many bands have tried Fearless in the past decades (or more), but they all basically really avoid the very tough guitar stuff and just give an "approximation" of the proper sound. Waters comes very close here to the best timing of this very difficult song ...and he also still features the savage roar of the '70's Kop too, as an added bonus.

I'm loving this stuff!! One of my absolute favourite songs of all time ...finally being performed live and done properly too.

geebo and Alright Now like this.
  29. Alright Now

Sometimes you read a post and hope to have something to add. Sometimes you just can't and you tip your hat and acknowledge the fullness of the post. This is one. Just awesome.

On a separate note, I'm so fired up that the greatest poet of them all won the Nobel today. I feel like I won.

30. geebo

geebo Bekloppt ! (German for loopy)

WBA game - I heard on youtube that the NEW stand started (instigated) singing songs ! And the guys on the kop looked and said respect ! carry on !!!!
    I think ths is a great moment ! Against WBA our new stand starts to find its new voice ! Anyone else at the match that can testify to the sound? Klopp said this was the ebst crowd reacted ever (that wasnt in Euro or against Everton or manu).