Anfield Atmosphere Discussion

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Dublin_Kopite, Oct 23, 2015.

1. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

To be honest I noticed a bit of this at the Hull game I attended....I was in the Kop but I know they started a fair few, I did notice the main stand upper tier was almost empty at half time I wonder is it that cold up there?

Anyhow we did seem more vocal on television, Burnley was odd this weekend, listen when Everton score it was effectively a home crowd.

2. geebo

geebo Bekloppt ! (German for loopy)

I love floyd. Like the wish you were here album at the moment. Ive seen an aussie Floyd cover band the last two years, and they are brilliant. In fact they used a lot of old floyd lasers, and I heard that they are friends with the band and played at Gilmours 50th birthday !

I play semi accoustic. But Im really a song writer more than anything. I have a guitar permanently tuned to open E, and have written a few nice songs on it. It just has a different feeling, sound or texture to standard tuning and that totally influences the song itself. Its just a nightmare inventing your own chords and playing style.

cardiffpete and Alright Now like this.
  3. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

It's not coming across on the TV coverage at all. Anfield still sounds (comparatively) quiet, and at one point could easily hear the Baggies fans doing the "Your support is fucking shit" chant. Might be the mic placement though?

geebo likes this.
  4. RedSeven

RedSeven On the one road Valued Member

Atmosphere was OK ish but have heard similar many times before, I wouldn't have said it was out of the ordinary and I was in the new stand maybe the sound travels down to the pitch better than it does up to the gods.

Hope in your heart and geebo like this.
  5. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

There is an interview with Mats Hummels some English media quoted this week. He said something about Anfield atmosphere. ;-)

6. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

That actually sounds like something I would like to read and yet for some unknown reason, totally out of character, you haven't copied the whole article into the thread. If you're not going to do that with articles that might actually be of interest what's the point of you?

DrSnuggles and Flobs like this.
  7. Dortmund fan

I didn't know you are a fan of posting whole articles.

In the past there was criticism, some forum users wrote that I post too many articles.

Now I don't post it.

8. DrSnuggles

DrSnuggles Member

Are you the same guy as before?

Your English is much better maybe posting here has done that

9. Dortmund fan

My English is poor. I still didn't learn the grammar tbh.

10. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

Because only working class kids can sing? Good job you didn't say white, christian or English......

kenno91, LaurazRed and treboeth like this.
  11. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Most grounds are the same really, at Palace you have the fanatics but in the family end opposite it's dead.

Swansea put their diehard lot across from the away, it's still dead at the other end, one place I did notice a full crowd involvement was Norwich.

12. boonsong

boonsong New Member

been there once but i have seen news talking about how tourists had negative effects on the atmosphere.

13. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

14. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Alright now FIFA, tell us something we don't know..... ;-)

RedSeven likes this.
  15. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Was a fantastic night indeed; the atmosphere, the game, probably the best package last season. Once again thanks to Dortmund fans for their respect for the 96, they are a class act and a role model at that highest level at the moment in terms of support every single week. The sheer culture at clubs is something money can't buy.

16. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I've said this often with Anfield when it's a big game it's a big game, Chelsea and Spurs will be under lights and the atmosphere will be special. It was a lot better for the City game than it had been.

Even in that title run 3 o clock games had the crowd rocking, Liverpool reserves vs Plymouth will always struggle, for one group of fans it was a special once in a while occasion, to the other it was a cup that some in attendance would happily not bother with.

17. EdWood

EdWood TIA Youth Team

Is anyone really surprised at the lack of atmos in the ground, especially at bread & butter games? Over the years fans have grown all too used to disappointment and failure on the pitch. They've been let down by owners, managers and players and have been starved of any meaningful success. They expect the worst and are nervous and apprehensive on match days. All this breeds apathy and a lack of optimism resulting in a flat atmosphere imo.

We need tangible results from the club i.e. CL football and silverware to generate excitement and a genuine sense of upward mobility by the club to get the crowd consistently sparking once more. It's not rocket science but JK can't drag the crowd with him on his own.

18. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

It's the same reason that one poor month (which if you look at the league you will notice all our rivals bar Chelsea have had) feels like it is a return to norm.

19. Retro Helix

Retro Helix Member

20. jaffod

jaffod Well-Known Member

I'll find it a bit hard to swallow next time Jurgen calls the crowd out for being too quiet. It's fine asking us to believe, but we've just witnessed our season go down the pan in the space of 5 weeks while everyone at the club has stood there with their thumbs up their arses.

21. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

It's not like he would use any reset button, not save the game and then load the app again. I don't understand why one would go to match and not cheer and have a good time. Sitting there watching it quietly with the occasional "oohs" and "aahs", and a clap of hands, might as well move over to watch the Wimbeldon instead.

22. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

To be honest I even got vocal and into the Wolves game and that was pretty dismal.

I have noticed some around me but you've got to chant and sing, I don't know some songs but I've picked them up over the seasons. It's not really the Kop it's the other two stands really. Anfield Road can be occasionally vocal but is often drowned out.

Then again having attempted to do the 92 over the last few years it's hardly much different in many other grounds, Cardiff vs Swansea was the last great crowd I was part of, though that Cardiff crowd for the Man City game on the first day was just as good.

Swansea could be good on occasions, West Ham was a mausoleum bar us Liverpool fans so bugger knows what it's like at the new stadium... bar the fighting.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    lfc.eddie likes this.
  23. redyukka

redyukka YNWA

Was in the main stand yesterday in the back corner and the atmosphere up there was awful. People shouting obscenities at our players like that will help. Nothing positive to say. Walked out after a win but felt just angry with the crowd. Total flip compared to my last visit sat in the Centenary for the Hull game which was a pleasure. I understand that was a win and we looked amazing but it's a difficult time for the team at the moment. People need to get behind them but I didn't see a lot of that, or the aggressive shouters quietened anyone trying to do anything positive like start a chant. Also I could see the Centenary from where I sat and you could see there was no movement from supporters, no clapping. Nothing. It just felt like the players aren't living up to people's expectations and didn't deserve support. They might play better with a bit more positivity - it was a miracle we won yesterday. Absolute miracle.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Commando likes this.
  24. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Good article from the main site, with a few suggestions how to improve the atmosphere within Anfield:

Youth, local presence and safe standing – How can Liverpool improve Anfield atmosphere?

[​IMG]
    Jack Lusby
    28 March 2017

With the atmosphere at Anfield diminishing in recent years, journalists and supporters have provided their view on how to improve Liverpool’s home.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/0...ing-can-liverpool-improve-anfield-atmosphere/

[​IMG]
    On a great day, there is no better sound than the Kop in full flow, but as the years go by and the Reds continue to struggle for success, these are becoming fewer and fewer.

Liverpool added over 8,500 new seats with the expansion of Anfield’s Main Stand over the summer, but there remains a distinct lack of atmosphere between the stadium’s four corners.

So how can the club and its supporters work to improve the spirit of Anfield, and recapture the glory days of the past?

We spoke to a host of supporters and journalists, both local and further afield, for their take on how to rejuvenate L4.

The Liverpool Echo’s James Pearce

“I actually thought the atmosphere was much improved earlier in the season. It’s dropped off in the last couple of months but that’s been largely down to results.

“More tickets available at a decent price for young adults would help.”

[​IMG]

BT Sport presenter Matt Smith
    “Make it bigger, expand the Anfield Road End—you have to change with the times—but remember it’s still, and always will be, Anfield, the home of Liverpool FC.

“I hope and trust the TV cameras and commentators will be talking about YNWA and the unique noise of Anfield in another 100 years.”

The Redmen TV’s Paul Machin

“For me, I’d like to see a section of the Kop that is pay on the door. At the minute there are too many people who go in the Kop and sit in silence (or worse, moan all game).

“It would be nice to get a core of people in there who are absolutely desperate to be there, the genuine fanatics.

“If you’re prepared to queue for 3 hours just to get your space, I imagine you’re the type of person who wouldn’t have a problem singing your heart out for 90 mins.

“Obviously there’s more to it than that, but it could be a good start.”

[​IMG]

Red All Over The Land editor John Pearman

“We don’t need a pitchside announcer screaming into a microphone, we should be having genuine Liverpool anthems being played over the speakers and I don’t mean some sort of disco versions either.

“Once inside the stadium Anfield should be a hostile place—and that’s not a violent place—and when the visitors tread on our turf they should be made feel a tad uncomfortable.

“Quick solution—get more locals in.”

The Anfield Wrap’s Gareth Roberts

“The Kop has rightly been a source of pride down the years but if the songs, flags and banners are going to survive the club needs to encourage and nurture the terrace culture that created them.

“That culture needs young, passionate fans in the ground, it needs accessible prices and it needs an area where likeminded people can congregate and sing, shout and create colour. At the moment we haven’t got that.

“The Kop can bring an A game to a match when it counts but that isn’t enough—it needs an active area, a singing section and, ideally, a safe standing section. Rail seating.

“At the moment we have unsafe standing. Everyone who goes regularly can show you their bruises if you ask nicely.”

[​IMG]

Liverpool FC programme writer Chris McLoughlin

“Without wishing to state the obvious, if everybody who went to Anfield a) knew the songs, and b) actually sang them, this eternal debate about the worsening atmosphere would be over. But let’s not pretend it’s a new thing.

“Check out the YouTube videos of Liverpool vs. Inter Milan (1965) and Liverpool vs. St Etienne (1977) and you’ll quickly realise that Anfield has never been really about a sustained wall of noise for 90 minutes, more an explosion of decibel levels for periods of games when the Redmen have been doing the business.

“Even so, a bit more effort from every matchgoer would make all the difference.”

Anfield Index’s Gags Tandon

“You always have to look for the next generation of support at any club and we’re reliant on supporters to bring their children and hope they pick up their habits.

“Which is fine, but we need to ensure there are other ways because not everyone can afford to bring a family to Anfield. It’s not cheap.

“I think youth brings more enthusiasm and energy—maybe that will be a small step to helping the atmosphere.”

[​IMG]

Matchday photographer Dave Rawcliffe

“A lot of people think safe standing, i.e. rail seats, are the answer, but unless fans can move around and join their mates that won’t solve anything.

“Getting more youngsters into the ground would help also. We need more kids to get into the habit of going to the match regularly.”

Kop season-ticket holder Jeff Goulding

“Find a way to get people in the ground early and encourage friends and groups to sit together.

“Make football affordable to younger supporters with discounts for groups of supporters purchasing tickets together.

“Being at the match with a large group of your mates is the best way to follow your club and it creates a sense of togetherness that can only enhance the atmosphere.”

[​IMG]

Anfield HQ’s Oliver Bond

“One thing I’ve noticed about certain away games is a lot of young adults (18-25) tend to go.

“I remember last year, Middlesbrough, the concourse was packed full of youngsters singing and bouncing and it was the same during the game in the stands.

“I do think more should be being done by Liverpool to get these age groups together and into the ground.”

Irish supporter Daniel O’Sullivan

“I think the introduction of safe-standing zones like in Celtic’s home ground would do so much for atmosphere—there is nothing worse than being told to sit down during a tense match.

“Also if you’re coming to visit for the first or 50th time I think every fan should make an effort to at least know the most popular chants/songs.”

[​IMG]

Philippines journalist Rick Olivares

“I think the club should identify pockets in the crowd of those who like to sing and cheer. Make sure they are positioned closer to other similar groups so the chanting and singing would be stronger.

“I think that the club and key supporters should also try to venture to the Centenary Stand to get the first-timers to sing as well.

“I won’t think it would hurt to give them a booklet of the songs and cheers with their history and words so that would also help them.”

MarcusBerglund likes this.
  25. richieh10

richieh10 Member

I would defo support safe standing

Hope in your heart likes this.
  26. richieh10

richieh10 Member

I don't agree really with the get more locals in argument.

I'm not from Liverpool and I sing so much every game I lose my voice.

Where I sit in the Upper Main Stand there are people with Liverpudlian accents who don't even sing YNWA so to blame the lack of atmosphere on not enough people from Liverpool in the stands doesn't really wash with me.

27. richieh10

richieh10 Member

Football tourism is the real culprit I think

By that term I don't mean Liverpool fans who only come to comes now and then I mean football fans who come to watch Liverpool just to be able to say they've been to watch Liverpool.

Bit like me going to Barcelona next week...
    on a stag do, going to the city and we've managed to get tickets (you're not going to turn it down are you) but when I am there I will be watching a fantastic team play football in a fantastic stadium but will contribute very little to the atmosphere.

28. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Looking forward to the day where I see a suggestion about improving the Anfield atmosphere that I haven't seen a hundred times before.

mattyhurst and Wyld@Heart like this.
  29. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

I don't buy this. There aren't THAT many tourists at Anfield. Really, there aren't. In the seat I'm in at the moment the vast majority of people around me are locals and/or regulars, the atmosphere is still flat in that section.

There could be 10,000 tourists in Anfield and you'd still have more than enough fans to create a good atmosphere.

Safe standing and a scheme designed to allow you to stand/sit with all your mates (or other like minded people) at the game is the only way to improve the atmosphere. After every away game I've ever been too I've come away hoarse, very rarely does that happen at Anfield. I'm simply not going to sing on my own for 90 minutes at a 3 o clock game against Sunderland when nobody around me is joining in.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  30. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

The locals thing is absolutely rubbish, sorry but it is.

Youngsters I agree but what happens when they get to 40 are we going turf them out? Sad thing is the only way to get Anfield atmosphere is by winning on the pitch, that was shown by the run in a few years back as well as the European Nights last season.