Anfield Atmosphere Discussion

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Dublin_Kopite, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

On the tourists topic, I'm speaking on my own behalf (but also about a dozen people who were with me), but the time I went to Anfield i got the Annie Road and sang basically every song (of course it was quiet for large periods). I mean, not every tourist is there to take photos. Some are indeed motivated to take part in atmosphere and are actually disappointed when they witness a lack of it. Tourists are not the basic problem, it's more about the structure and allowing a certain group to start and keep the tempo... even if I find those drums and robotic chanting the same stuff all game a bit boring, but still, something has to be made in that aspect.

2. kred

kred TIA New Signing

I agree with this. I come up from the south coast on my own whenever I can but usually alone. I will sing as loud as I can but I can see that some people would feel a bit daft if nobody was singing around them, also siting in an orderly fashion doesn't really help get the party rocking. At concerts and festivals it's a much better atmosphere when everyone is standing up and jumping and waving there arms, and also to have your mates or like minded people next to you.

It's always been the same though, I remember going to grounds in the 70s and early 80s with my dad and it was always the terraces that were making the noise. The feeling was always that the stands (seats) were the posh seats or for the families and you weren't going to get any noise from there. All that has changed is that all stadia are now just filled with the posh seats.

I've said it before but the simple answer is to have safe standing at the front of the kop and sell the tickets on the day. Young kids, mates, can all stand and sing together.

Problem solved.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  3. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Eh?

There are two sides to this argument. Whilst 'outsiders' can definitely contribute to the atmosphere, it's undoubtedly the locals that have made Liverpool famous in the past. The locals are the reason we don't sing the same shite as the rest of the footballing fans in this country (e.g. Who are ya, you're not singing any more etc) and are pretty much the driving force of everything that is good about our fan culture.

Think that can be acknowledged without offending anybody. I say this as somebody who doesn't consider myself a local.

4. richieh10

richieh10 Member

This
    This is true. It's a culmination of things rather than one or 2 main things.

In my opinion this would help....

1. Safe standing on all of the kop
    2. A culture where we embrace new supporters and supporters from outside of Liverpool and don't take the piss out of them if they are singing from a song sheet - at least they are trying.
    3. A scheme where STH can relocate their seats and sit with their mates (this may already exist)
    4. A designated singing section (Although this is the point of the kop

5. Most importantly a successful team that gets fans of their seat.

No surprise to me that our atmosphere was best when our team was at it best - 70s and 80s

5. jaffod

jaffod Well-Known Member

A fucking embarrassment today. Hit a new low imo but you reap what you sow, fill the ground with dickheads and that's what you get.

6. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Yup, fully agree with this. And you can add to this that the stadium was half empty before the final whistle.

7. Libero

Libero Well-Known Member

You could sense the crowds frustrations make it onto the field yesterday. Few moans and groans and the jitters set in and that's when we started to collapse a bit.

Thought the fans did their best to rally them on occasions, it's more so the frustrations which the players need to learn deal with and show the fans they can overcome certain situations.

8. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Just another proof that even if size and numbers do matter, the culture, habits, consistency (helped by better organzation/structure in stands, hopefully), the pure will to support the team collectively... is key.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  9. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

There was a moment with about 30 minutes where all of a sudden we started farting around with a clearance and gave them a couple of minor openings back to back when the ball should already have been properly dealt with. I dont think there was a Liverpool watching that on any couch in their own living room who didnt think "oh fuck, here we go" so I dont see how you can get on the back of the fans in the stadium for doing the same. As much as they are there to lift the team, that sort of reaction is natural when faced with such a consistent flaw.

Billy Biskix likes this.
  10. Billy Biskix

Billy Biskix TIA Youth Team Valued Member

If the team give up then the fans in the ground can be excused for doing so too. We did nothing in the final half hour of that game to get the crowd up when we should have been giving it everything we had. It's a two way thing. Can't keep blaming the home fans for gutless performances. Too many of them have seen the same thing over and over again and are sick to death of it.

i_still_miss_fowler likes this.