Anfield Atmosphere Discussion

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Dublin_Kopite, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

On the tourists topic, I'm speaking on my own behalf (but also about a dozen people who were with me), but the time I went to Anfield i got the Annie Road and sang basically every song (of course it was quiet for large periods). I mean, not every tourist is there to take photos. Some are indeed motivated to take part in atmosphere and are actually disappointed when they witness a lack of it. Tourists are not the basic problem, it's more about the structure and allowing a certain group to start and keep the tempo... even if I find those drums and robotic chanting the same stuff all game a bit boring, but still, something has to be made in that aspect.

2. kred

kred TIA New Signing

I agree with this. I come up from the south coast on my own whenever I can but usually alone. I will sing as loud as I can but I can see that some people would feel a bit daft if nobody was singing around them, also siting in an orderly fashion doesn't really help get the party rocking. At concerts and festivals it's a much better atmosphere when everyone is standing up and jumping and waving there arms, and also to have your mates or like minded people next to you.

It's always been the same though, I remember going to grounds in the 70s and early 80s with my dad and it was always the terraces that were making the noise. The feeling was always that the stands (seats) were the posh seats or for the families and you weren't going to get any noise from there. All that has changed is that all stadia are now just filled with the posh seats.

I've said it before but the simple answer is to have safe standing at the front of the kop and sell the tickets on the day. Young kids, mates, can all stand and sing together.

Problem solved.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  3. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Eh?

There are two sides to this argument. Whilst 'outsiders' can definitely contribute to the atmosphere, it's undoubtedly the locals that have made Liverpool famous in the past. The locals are the reason we don't sing the same shite as the rest of the footballing fans in this country (e.g. Who are ya, you're not singing any more etc) and are pretty much the driving force of everything that is good about our fan culture.

Think that can be acknowledged without offending anybody. I say this as somebody who doesn't consider myself a local.

4. richieh10

richieh10 Active Member

This
    This is true. It's a culmination of things rather than one or 2 main things.

In my opinion this would help....

1. Safe standing on all of the kop
    2. A culture where we embrace new supporters and supporters from outside of Liverpool and don't take the piss out of them if they are singing from a song sheet - at least they are trying.
    3. A scheme where STH can relocate their seats and sit with their mates (this may already exist)
    4. A designated singing section (Although this is the point of the kop

5. Most importantly a successful team that gets fans of their seat.

No surprise to me that our atmosphere was best when our team was at it best - 70s and 80s

5. jaffod

jaffod Well-Known Member

A fucking embarrassment today. Hit a new low imo but you reap what you sow, fill the ground with dickheads and that's what you get.

6. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Yup, fully agree with this. And you can add to this that the stadium was half empty before the final whistle.

7. Libero

Libero Well-Known Member

You could sense the crowds frustrations make it onto the field yesterday. Few moans and groans and the jitters set in and that's when we started to collapse a bit.

Thought the fans did their best to rally them on occasions, it's more so the frustrations which the players need to learn deal with and show the fans they can overcome certain situations.

8. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Just another proof that even if size and numbers do matter, the culture, habits, consistency (helped by better organzation/structure in stands, hopefully), the pure will to support the team collectively... is key.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  9. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

There was a moment with about 30 minutes where all of a sudden we started farting around with a clearance and gave them a couple of minor openings back to back when the ball should already have been properly dealt with. I dont think there was a Liverpool watching that on any couch in their own living room who didnt think "oh fuck, here we go" so I dont see how you can get on the back of the fans in the stadium for doing the same. As much as they are there to lift the team, that sort of reaction is natural when faced with such a consistent flaw.

geebo, Libero and Billy Biskix like this.
  10. Billy Biskix

Billy Biskix TIA Youth Team Valued Member

If the team give up then the fans in the ground can be excused for doing so too. We did nothing in the final half hour of that game to get the crowd up when we should have been giving it everything we had. It's a two way thing. Can't keep blaming the home fans for gutless performances. Too many of them have seen the same thing over and over again and are sick to death of it.

i_still_miss_fowler likes this.
  11. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I was in the Anfield road stand, for all the Palace shouting in the final 20 years I heard fuck all from them the previous 70, as for is there a fire drill and is this a library. I went to 20 games at Palace last season and I heard that probably at least 18.

It was the worst I'd seen them play and that includes Wolves which I also went to. I saw 4 times us take about 5 minutes on a throw in, only to throw it without aim about 10 yards up only for the ball to be headed back and come back to Mignolet to kick and then lose.

When you've seen that for the 4th time you really start to wonder what the point is, though I kept chanting and stayed to the bitter end so when you call me a "fucking embarrassment" maybe you should get off your fucking armchair and go to the game, sorry but I'm not taking any blame for that or the gutless performance on the pitch, you can talk a good game on LFCTV but one shot on target AT HOME. That cost me in around £80 and if it wasn't for my brother would have cost me a lot more but he lives in Southport and put me up.

4.30 kick off on a Sunday is utterly dreadful, you want to encourage kids to the game and yet the lad behind was expecting to get home at 10.30 on a School night. We don't live in a country where people remain in their catchment areas. Should I cut all ties when I moved from Southport 11 years ago? No you don't do that. There was absolutely no need for that game to kick off at 4.30pm, the PL tie at 2.15 clashed with the FA Cup and who the fig gives a buggery about the Midlands derby between one midtable team and another which might go down.

Sorry but we all know what the main reason is, and I denied it but yes sadly it's standing, because guess what group of fans always sound the loudest at any ground. It's the ones who stand for the entire game (the away ones).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    bazza66 and Billy Biskix like this.
  12. jaffod

jaffod Well-Known Member

Matty, I'll assume this is aimed at me as I used the term 'fucking embarrassment' in my post. In my defence I was there on Sunday and not in my 'fucking armchair', I've been a ST holder in the upper centenary since it opened and in the Kop and Anny Rd before that. I've been lucky enough to watch our team in the flesh well over 1000 times since I went to my first match just before the 1974 cup final.
    Don't take it personally, the crowd on Sunday WAS a fucking embarrassment collectively. I do my best to get behind the lads every game, I sit with my lad and he has a go as well but we're surrounded by fucking 'observers' rather than supporters. There are blokes like you and me all over the ground who try to get things going but it's a waste of time. Perfect example is the lad and dad who sit in front of me, probably the same sort of age group as me and my lad (he's 18), the pair of them sit there like 2 bumps on a fucking log every game, never sing, never shout, just watch. They do my fucking nut in. The dad wasn't at the derby recently, the lad was with another bloke in his 30's. Half time comes and he get's a mobile out with the Everton badge as the screensaver. That's what we're up against, our own so-called fans giving up their tickets to fucking Evertonians at the derby.
    I agree on your other points about KO times, no need for it but SKY, BT and the FA don't give a shit about those who actually attend games so that wont change. Your right about the performance too, pathetic given we are supposedly fighting for a CL spot. If you check my post in the after match thread I suggested Klopp should keep his mouth shut if he felt compelled to call the fans out again so I agree with you, we've seen these shite capitulations too many times over the years and it reaches a stage where apathy takes over. I'll probably spew it in a year or two because I've had enough, the ground is full of fucking clueless knobheads. I think we are probably similar in how we feel about it all so sorry if you took offence, I probably could have worded it better.

13. Bensud

Bensud New Member

After going for years I don't go anymore mainly coz of family and I play myself sat and Sunday.

Anyone sitting on the kop who doesn't bring a flag, banner or scarf and sits there in silence should give their ticket up.

14. Artrain

Artrain Well-Known Member

Does anyone else feel that if, on Sunday, 21st of May 2017, we as supporters and fans turn up with the same fervour that we did against Dortmund, then there's no way, no fucking way some shite team like Middlesbrough stands a whiff of a chance to get any fucking thing against us?! Screw afternoon football! Screw having to be seated! What the fuck does it matter when supporting our team?! Lets roar at them! Lets make so much noise that Boro players wet their pants and slide on the grass! Lets fucking get in! No matter what happens in the game there's no way we won't end on top if us fans choke the other team from pressure. Throw the permutations and combinations in the bloody gutter. Lets grab them by the throat and hold them down godammit! We are Liverpool Football Club. Lets show the bastards who the fuck they're dealing with!

Still only Thursday and I've already lost my mind.

15. Commando

Commando Active Member

Somebody from the club should print that off and put it up in the dressing room. Let each and everyone connected with the match day team know how much it means to the supporters.

I wish that I could articulate how I feel about LFC THAT WELL.

Artrain likes this.
  16. KCollins

KCollins Active Member

It's a two way thing. If the players on the field are faffing around midfield doing nothing with the ball then that will numb the crowd into bored silence, and If the crowd are quiet that doesn't help spur the players into action.

I'd only find fault with fans if the players on the field could have been spurred into action by them raising their voices, against Southampton however we fielded a slow, ponderous midfield that sapped the early optimism of the crowd;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39760509

"It was a terrible spectacle for supporters inside Anfield. It was dire. Truly dire. Was the first half of this match the worst seen in the Premier League this season?

The home sections at Anfield must have thought they were in for a treat - the sun was shining and they knew their team had to take the game to Southampton with a Champions League spot at stake.

But instead of a siege on Forster's goal, what they witnessed during that opening period were their players joining the Saints on the beach.

The first 45 minutes were slow and ponderous, and the only exertions by the Southampton keeper were three very comfortable saves."

I could find no fault whatsoever with any supporter who attended that Southampton game and was numbed into silence. It was a numbing performance. Wasn't joking when I thought fans could have got a refund. Tickets are not cheap, you don't pay your hard earned money to be bored into submission. You even had Carra on commentary being vocal about a certain player walking across midfield and taking eight touches on one occasion. A fan from eastern Europe on here attended his first game at Anfield, hugely excited, must have paid a fair amount of flights, accommodation etc...got into the ground, sat in the Kop and couldn't contain his excitement as kick off approached. It was like Christmas day morning for the fella...without the presents.

When we field our best team we see quick passing, movement and constant probing of the opposing defence which in turn will have the supporters much more enthralled and as a result more vocal.

Billy Biskix and Commando like this.