Ben Chilwell (LB) Leicester City

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Nikola, May 3, 2016.

1. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Liverpool to beat Arsenal and land Leicester's Chilwell

EXCLUSIVE: The Gunners have extensively monitored the promising teenager currently on the books of the league champions, but his preferred destination is Anfield

Liverpool are confident of beating off competition from Arsenal for Leicester’s coveted young left-back Ben Chilwell.

Goal understands that the Premier League champions are now aware Anfield is the 19-year-old’s preferred destination.

The defender, who sparked attention with stellar displays while on loan to Huddersfield before rejoining the Foxes in January, is enthused by the impact Jurgen Klopp has already made on Merseyside and is keen on being part of his reconstruction at the club.

David Wagner, manager of the Terriers and the German’s best friend, alerted Liverpool to Chilwell’s talents and the Reds were stirred by his qualities.

A natural leader, his left-foot delivery is superb as is his covering of the centre-back. Chilwell is comfortable in possession, has good close control and positional intelligence.

Arsenal have extensively monitored the England youth international, who trained with the senior national team for two weeks in March, and left a very good impression on the backroom team.

The Gunners had a £3.5 million offer rejected last summer and now look set to lose out on the teenager again.

Claudio Ranieri has named Chilwell on the bench seven times - once against Liverpool at the King Power Stadium - during Leicester’s landmark campaign.

The Reds anticipate a deal in the region of £8 million, inclusive of add-ons, will clinch his acquisition.

In January it had emerged that the starlet was on a contract of £800 a week. Leicester had been hopeful of agreeing new terms with their 2014-15 Academy Player of the Year before the end of the season, when his current deal would enter its final 12 months.

However, with Chilwell captivated by Anfield, he is likely to line up under Klopp for the 48-year-old’s first full campaign at the Liverpool helm.

The former Borussia Dortmund boss, who has already recruited Schalke's Joel Matip to his back line for 2016-17, has stated bolstering the club's rearguard will be a priority.

"When you build up a team you start with the defence," Klopp said after Liverpool's 1-0 defeat at Villarreal last week.

"But it's not just about speaking to the defenders. I'm never happy conceding goals.

"To build up a stability [in defence] is a big target for next season."

With centre-back Mamadou Sakho facing the possibility of a lengthy suspension due to an anti-doping violation, Liverpool may look at further defensive options in the market.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892...nal-and-land-leicesters-chilwell?ICID=HP_BN_1

It's goal.com but it's written by Melissa Reddy, who is a fairly reliable source and who also works with The Anfield Wrap. I'd say this one warrants its own thread as it's previously been reported by the likes of The Telegraph and The Guardian as well.

2. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

The David Wagner link/comments make it a particularly interesting potential transfer.

SoftGerman likes this.
  3. vetle12345

vetle12345 Active Member

another Joe Gomez-ish signing, hopefully

4. SoftGerman

SoftGerman Well-Known Member

If this one turns out to be true, what seems likely, then our full back business should be already finished for the summer transfer period.
    Chilwell sounds like an exciting talent. Still, we already have Smith as a talent behind Moreno, so I would have also welcomed a more experienced option, but as I said, it sounds like he is a great talent, so why not.
    Even if I think the fee is quite high. Probably because he is English and a U-International.
    He has good positioning? That might be a big plus battling Moreno for the left back spot.
    With Joe Gomez also able to play there, we now have three talents behind Moreno.
    This could mean that Brad Smith leaves, being "already" 22 and being poor in a few of his last performances. If he would become third choice behind Moreno and Chilwell (and even maybe Gomez) and isn't a regular U21 player anymore (or is he, because he was 21 at the beginning of the year), I think Smith has to improve rapidly to make it. A bit sad, because I like Smith because of his work rate and his fighting spirit.

5. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

Now the Leicester are playing CL football and PL Champions, I'm not sure Leicester will want to let any of their promising talents go just yet.

Not seen the lad play, but sounds like he's young and more likely to be replacing Smith if he comes in as one for the future?

6. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

He only has one year left on his contract and if he wants away, better to secure a decent fee now than risk it being £250k in 12 months time if a European team snaps him up. Clearly, given how the FA tribunal works, there is limited downside risk if he is guaranteed to go to an English club!!!

7. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

The question is do we sign both Hector and him and ship Moreno and Smith out

This is a player being linked to us for a long time so it seems pretty serious

My guess is were priortising 2 key players for every position we need and if we cant get the first we do a deal for the second so the real question with this is Hector number 1 or Number 2 same goes for Zielinski and Dahoud

8. Nikola

I saw him play last January, one of those matches was FA Cup game against Tottenham (at WHL, I think), and I watched it primarily because of his involvement. He's no Luke Shaw, I can safely say that, but he seemed to have very good positional sense, especially for a young lad. Pace was also a notable quality of his, I'm not sure how he would compare to Smith and Moreno in that sense but he looked very quick. He also looked a bit skinny, though. In terms of technical ability, I didn't remember him making any Milneresque traps where the second touch is a diving tackle to retrieve the wayward ball. :-)

He seems to have been on Klopp's radar for a while and if he and Wenger think he'll become a good player, that's fine by me. Entering his final year, I doubt he would cost much. There's always a doubt about having to rely on so many inexperienced players, though. Smith, for all of his potential, is largely untested, while Moreno is Moreno. Could lad with a handful of Championship appearances suddenly walk into our first eleven and make that position his own?

9. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I think with full backs we could do with one who is very good defensively and occasionally offers something going forward something like Clyne and then something that is offensive like Moreno, Flanno perhaps can offer that on the right side.

It then gives Klopp the options, it's something which would be helpful against these teams that sit back and counter attack.

10. rab

rab Well-Known Member

Great, a kid with 8 senior starts to his name in the Championship. Full backs sorted, on to buying a championship level 'back up' for Mignolet, an over priced unsuitable centre forward and throw in a new contract for Skrtel whilst we're at it.

11. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Under another manager you'd have a point, but Klopp is no mug, and his mate Wagner (who was heavily involved at Dortmund) now at Huddersfield, recommended him highly. He is one of the better fullbacks around, who is attainable.

12. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Nah we did that with Adam Bogdan.

13. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Bit unnecessarily negative recently, no?

There are also links to Jonas Hector. 25 year old German international

104TOSH and lfc.eddie like this.
  14. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

Not to mention that Moreno has looked much much better the last 3 months. But let's pile on because we are linked with a young kid with potential that Arsenal have been sniffing around for a couple of years.

15. rab

rab Well-Known Member

Realistically, how much better is he than Smith? Is this the best left back option we can get for that kind of money? Just smacks me as a hugely underwhelming solution to a pressing issue that needs addressing.

And he's been binned off in favour of a kid who is now being lined up to go elsewhere next season whilst the manager sings the praises of Mignolet.

You'd be a bit negative if you lived in the city that just won the league and have had to put up with dogs abuse all day from Leicester City fans bragging about winning more 'Premier League' titles than Liverpool. And to help rectify that situation we are going to buy a kid from said Champions who has yet to play for them. Just buy Hector and keep Moreno and Smith.

16. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

My view on it @rab is that Chilwell would be one for the future, and there is still the need to consider one more, defensively minded, LB (Hector).

Chilwell is younger than Smith, and Klopp has had the opportunity to fully consider the abilities of Smith. If Smith is not considered good enough then Chilwell may be the ideal replacement. I'd be disappointed if we sign this lad and keep Smith as that leaves us with the same issues at LB we currently have.

17. ILLOK

Neither Smith or Moreno have covered themselves in glory. Moreno's improved since the team has gotten back from that break in Tenerife yet we're still conceding goals due to his misunderstanding of positioning, the most obvious example being against Villareal. Neither of them should be safe.

18. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

So you are suggesting he will be bringing back Bogdan as back up again? When he sends Ward out, even though Bogdan wouldn't even be playing reserve matches if Fulton wasn't on loan at Portsmouth.

Mignolet isn't great, an average PL keeper I have no doubts we will be looking at top competition in that area. I wouldn't be surprised if Chilwell comes in and Moreno is dumped in favour of an upgrade in the way of someone like Hector.

I think it will be the main area of change in the summer, that an addition to midfield.

19. Speckydodge

Speckydodge TIA Squad Member

20. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that Smith will be old enough next season to require a full place on the league squad list and that changes the equation for young players on the fringes of the squad. . For the first time since the rules went in place we will have enough players that serious consideration has to be paid for who gets those 25 spots. With both Flanno and Clyne somewhat comfortable at changing sides and Gomez coming back from injury Klopp may view that spot in the squad list could be better filled by someone else. If so, it's not really an issue of Chilwell vs Smith.

21. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Yep we have lots of threads about the amount of players we have to sell to make room for new signings especially if we won the EL but the flipside is if we finish 8th and dont win it then we are going to have an even bigger problem as we will probably only have 44 games next season and no room for player development with probably a hard core of 20 players max being used very similar to BR when we finished 2nd.

So in relation to Chilwell I think its pretty clear that Smith will have to go and to be fair at best he is a midtable PL player.

22. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Smith has had his chances and not delivered, it's not as though he is 18/19 he is 21/22? My impression is we will sign someone to compete with Moreno.. My choice would be Hector, but Chillwell is a bloody good young player and could be a top class fullback under the right coach.

23. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

A certain Dele Alli was playing for a Championship side too prior to this season, didn't see him being out of place in his club with their recent run for the title which ended yesterday. Just saying....

redfanman and Livvy like this.
  24. Nikola

I don't think you can say that he hasn't delivered. He's a young squad player, and I can think of two bad performances he's had for Liverpool (his debut against Chelsea, where our team was poor, and game at Swansea where almost everyone was abysmal). Not much to go by but I think his positional sense is already better than Moreno's and he looks more balanced than him. I think he has an awful lot to offer if fitness permits him and if he doesn't let anyone bar Klopp and his staff get into his head. It's too early and unjust to write him off.

redfanman likes this.
  25. rab

rab Well-Known Member

50 plus appearances having broken through into the side versus 8 loan appearances and none for your club.

I guess if Alli is good enough then we can assume Canos is too and we don't need to worry about adding to our midfield ranks next season

26. lfc.eddie

He did get recall back to the Premier League side, in fact the Premier League current champions, didn't he? Even with 50 games under his belt, it is still Championship, no?

27. rab

rab Well-Known Member

And how many minutes did he get after his recall?

Just don't see how anyone can be excited in any way about a teenage left back with zero experience for £8m odd quid. Call me a cynic but don't see how this would improve us to any degree

28. lfc.eddie

I doubt it would be anywhere near that figure reported. Especially not from goal.com.

29. ILLOK

Who's said they're excited? Is 'excitement' actually a necessary indicator of a good transfer?

He could easily be better than Moreno and Smith, so that'd improve us. And nothing has been said about him being the only fullback being brought in. All of this negativity because you're getting some stick off Leicester fans is daft.

redfanman likes this.
  30. TheGrimmChild

TheGrimmChild New Member

Just mentioned this in another thread about this situation. But we should stay well away here. We have Joe Gomez, Moreno... bring in Hector and that position is well sorted.