Ben Chilwell (LB) Leicester City

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Nikola, May 3, 2016.

1. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

And Mane is someone who is being lined up to produce from day 1. Same as Matip. Same as Firmino was. But they are also at the right end of their careers.

redfanman likes this.
  2. Rattlesnake888

Rattlesnake888 Well-Known Member

I'd still rather sign a more senior player at left back and use Moreno as back up.

I haven't given up completely on Moreno but I do not want to start next season with him as first choice left back. I doubt Chilwell would come in and immediately take the Spaniards place.

Steve_LFC likes this.
  3. basil1492

basil1492 TIA Squad Member

It could be Robertson is our first choice but Chilwell at £7m (that the club thought they could get him for) was more value for money. Now that Chilwell is £10m they may figure pay the extra £2m and get our first choice. None of us know exactly but this would be my best guess.

4. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Apparently Joyce reckons we might go back to Southamption for Bertrand which would be a TC reversal, as I remember BR very much wanted him and we ended up with Moreno instead but he only has one year left on his contract etc I remember many fans up in arms when we were trying to buy him before Moreno and everyone happy we got Moreno, time can bring great perspective

5. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I don't think that Moreno or Bertrand are good enough options, and I wouldn't say Chilwell or Robertson are either.

koptician and lfc.eddie like this.
  6. Makati Red

I would respectfully suggest there is absolutely no chance of us getting him for 3m. Arsenal have already bid 5m we have bid 7m including addons. were asking 4m for Sinclair and about to get 2.5m for Canos who is not at that level. but most importantly its hard to see any tribunal going less than 6m for him. I think this is where we have differed all summer you see him as one for the future and would love a player like Jonas who is clearly never coming to this club wheras I am of the opinion if he signs he will be playing LB for us in quite a few games. However for whatever reason it seems there is a problem with the transfer so it seems we will never know the answer to who was right on this score

I find it exceptionally hard to believe that we would walk away from this transfer for3m there must be bigger issues at hand 7m or10m makes very little difference and i he is the right LB that Klopp wants then you would just conclude the deal. My guess is there is another reason this deal is not getting done and its not over 3m

7. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Chilwell not worth the £10m, Hector doesn't suit our game (??) and our recruitment team did this..... :?::think:..... "Ah, got it... Let's take a drive down to Southampton, they might need more money from us, let's get that Bertrand fella. Didn't Rodgers tried to sign him too? :celebrating:"

Work done by our infamous Transfer Committee.....

8. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

The Tribunal fee isn't the same as a transfer fee. Just because Arsenal and ourselves have offered more than 5 million for him, it doesn't automatically mean they will set a price of 6 million.

AYBGerrardo likes this.
  9. Makati Red

LFC just got 4m for Sinclair who isnt nearly as advanced as Chilwell and out of contract.

Clearly this transfer has very little to do about the transfer fee but Leicesters reluctance to do business at this stage, clearly 10m isnt too excessive so its my opinion for sure that the club arent dithering over 3m just that Leicester dont want to do business at this stage

Always easier to do business with selling clubs

10. Speckydodge

Speckydodge TIA Squad Member

You see you say this, but have you actually ever even seen Chilwell play a single match??

schmee, redfanman and lfc.eddie like this.
  11. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

It appears Leicester would rather receive £3-4m in a tribunal fee from him in 18-24 months time (following a transfer in 12 months time) rather than £7m now.

redfanman likes this.
  12. Makati Red

If TV counts YES

I really dont think thats the issue. I am very convinced that LFC would have paid 10m by now if that is what it took for our number one LB target

I would be very surprised if the tribunal fee sets his price anywhere below 5m based on LFC agreement over Sinclair

13. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Why do you think he would be valued higher than Sinclair's transfer fee by a tribunal?

redfanman likes this.
  14. Makati Red

According to Twitterland Chilwell could be done by the weekend

Anfield HQ Verified account ‏@AnfieldHQ 9h9 hours ago
    Klopp is continuing to pursue the signing of Leicester left-back Ben Chilwell. #lfc (Dominic King)
    Youth Academies ‏@YouthAcademies 9h9 hours ago
    Ben Chilwell to Liverpool is nearly over the line after lengthy negotiations.
    Dave O’Connell ‏@DaveOCKOP 9h9 hours ago
    So it looks like Ben Chilwell could be a Liverpool player soon. Maybe even by the weekend or early next week
    Will ‏@dug_8 13h13 hours ago
    I'm told that Leicester City left-back Ben Chilwell has agreed personal terms with Liverpool.

As there is no real link I havent put it in the twitter thread but as they say no smoke without fire and just as the Hector smokescreen went up agian

15. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I'm not sure we need a smokescreen. The world and his wife know we're after Chilwell at this point.

Will be interesting to see if anyone else is brought in. To be honest, given the dearth of links suggesting Moreno might be on his way out, it feels like Klopp is going to give him and Chilwell the season to fight for the spot.

redfanman likes this.
  16. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

I don't know about that mate - I think a smokescreen could come in handy. Imagine deploying a smokescreen in conjunction with the gegenpress, it would be like when Ajax beat us 5-1. We'd be lethal.

17. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Yeah, I can't see us signing two left backs in this window.

No real links of Moreno leaving either, this is Echo on June 29th:

Moreno, surely, will be given more time by Jurgen Klopp. The manager values his speed, control and the continuous attacking width he provides. At 23 (24 next week) he sees the development potential in the Spaniard, even if every step forward he makes seems to be followed by a couple backwards.

Of course, it could be Moreno's final season here if he doesn't show some improvement, but for the moment it very much seems like we're sticking with him (first choice starter or not, we'll see... maybe that's a position where Klopp will give it to who deserves it with form & training).

18. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

So no Hector then?

19. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Well, so far it seems like no. Been a while since we've been properly linked with him.

20. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

Another point is to bring the required dynamic. Cou on left always prefer roaming to central area. And clyne is more defence. To counter both these points we would ideally need a pacy attacking left back. But the main problem lies that Moreno can't do defence at all. If he can do some basic defence and time his runs effectively without constantly appearing ahead of half way mark, he could be very valuable to how we play and the players we have. But don't see any chance of this happening though.

21. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

Pre-season has only just got underway. Klopp and coaches will now be putting the players through their training and fitness programme and assessing their suitability to how Klopp wants the team to play. This applies to all areas of the team, and we'll now slowly see players begin to leave (Skrtel and Ibe almost complete, Ward on loan). We know the club need to trim the squad, Klopp has said to himself, so we can't realistically see many more in. We, as fans, are itching for a better LB (I'm included in this) and a CM.

I'm not sure if Klopp is looking at any LB's in the U21's/academy, during pre-season, but right now we have Smith and Moreno. I can't see Moreno leaving, and am in agreement of the view in the Echo, as posted by @Zoran. It's going to be down to how Klopp feels Smith is doing, coupled with any other LB's coming through. All the while, the club will hopefully be looking at LB options should Klopp decide its time to buy one in.

The big Q is, is Klopp going to be happy with Moreno being No.1 LB going in to the season, and buying someone (Chilwell) to challenge him. That would probably mean calling it a day on Smith. Or will he decide he needs to invest in another LB now (say Hector).

Lets not forget the shift that Flanno put in at LB in 13/14 before he blew his knee out.

It won't be a disaster if we don't sign anyone by close of the window (agessss yet). Klopp have the backing of FSG and it appears that what he wants, he gets (based on the 4 in so far). Considering he's a manger that likes to polish the diamonds and reap the rewards, rather than forking out for the finished article, Chilwell seems a decent shout.

redfanman likes this.
  22. vjcpatriot

vjcpatriot Active Member

I'd be satisfied with Chillwell or Robertson at this point. Just shore up that LB position before the window closes please!

23. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid

Maybe Klopp sees Moreno as a 'project' he can work on and improve (didn't he do the same with one of his LB's at Dortmund?). If that's the case, I hope he is able to make Moreno a better left back. Klopp himself was a defender in his playing days, so he knows the skills and effort needed from a defender, and knows how to drill them into a young fella like Moreno.

Added to Moreno's attacking skills, he could, possibly, become a monster of a left back. His team work with Mane against Fleetwood last night down that left flank was fantastic. OK, it won't always work, and not every team will give them the space Fleetwood did, but I still thought it was an improvement on last season!

Livvy likes this.
  24. kipland007

kipland007 TIA Youth Team Valued Member

While Moreno gets a very bad rap here, I think he's one of the most naturally talented LBs we've ever had. He's very good going forward, which is clearly a priority for Klopp, and I'd argue his defensive abilities are very good as well - we've seen him make a number of phenomenal tackles and he's quick enough to match most wingers we'll see.

The key problem is his mentality and his tendency to put in a rash tackle or forget to mark his man at a crucial moment. While this is certainly a major issue for us, it may still be worth giving him a chance to right the ship as I'd say the potential upside for him is still huge. Everything I've seen from Klopp thus far demonstrates that he really desires a full back that can attack, and since Clyne is hopefully nailed on as our RB for the next few years, it would be a nice compromise to have a more attack-minded one like Moreno.

For me, that is what makes this transfer sensible. Give Moreno one more year and see if he can work out his mentality - otherwise, we can have two youngsters between Chilwell and Smith who will be ready to step up if he can't cut it.

MarkMcC likes this.
  25. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

I get the desire that people have to want to see Moreno come good, and I get the hope that Klopp can coax improvement out of our players, but Moreno is no longer an inexperienced kid whose errors can be put down to naivety. He is 24, has had 4 years in the top flight across 2 countries, and has played in and won international tournaments. He routinely makes errors that are not due to insufficient coaching, but down to his brain being turned off. I'm not sure if his tendency to get caught ball watching is something that can unlearned by an 18 year old, but by a 24 year old...I think this is just now what we have and I don't expect it to get much better.

26. Persona

Persona Member

I don't think even Klopp can fix Moreno's mental errors at this point. It's just too much of a liability in a league where a critical mistake from your attacking left/right backs more often than not means the other team is in the position to score given the amount of lethal wings virtually every team in England has at the moment.

27. gr_sounder

gr_sounder Always Watching

Sorry I just don't see the same talent in Moreno that you do.

I see a "defender" that just isn't very good at defending. If you defend properly, most of the time you look smooth and effortless out there. Most of those phenomenal tackles he makes (and I don't remember too many of them) shouldn't have to be made... they are required because he (or someone) didn't do a good job of defending originally.

I also think he's very average going forward. He gets forward well... but once he gets forward, I don't think he is very good at crossing or working with the forwards.

I'm a believer that first and formost... a defender needs to be able to defend. After that... I love it if outside backs can get into the attack... but only if they really add something to the attack other than another body. I hoped Moreno would be that person (hell I hoped Jose Enrique would be that person)... but I feel it's time to move on. If that means Chilwell... lets give it a shot.

SirBillShankly likes this.
  28. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Perhaps he had mistaken Aurelio for Moreno?

29. kipland007

kipland007 TIA Youth Team Valued Member

This tackle is the type of defensive play I'm referring to:

From the content, I believe we had a corner that was poorly taken (surprise) and Southampton started to break on us. Certainly a situation we don't want to be put in but the reality of the modern game is that it is going to happen. To have a player that can cleanly make that tackle (without even a protest from Mane and he knows that it was clean) demonstrates a great amount of ability in my opinion. Similar to his goals against Spurs or Stoke in the attacking end. He isn't as dangerous as a proper attacker but he's still much more of a threat than Clyne provides which I think may be why Klopp hasn't (so far) shown that he's willing to break the bank to replace him.

While I understand the sentiment that fullbacks should be defenders first, I am not quite sure that Klopp sees things that way. We are very dependent on them to provide width in our current setup, and Moreno + Mane looked like they could cause real problems for a defense (granted it's in a friendly against Fleetwood). Not sure that I'd say the same thing about Mane + Hector, despite that it may offer us more reliability in the back.

With regards to his age - yes he's not a youngster and it may be unlikely that he learns how to play with his head. But I'd say it is still more likely that Moreno calms down than a smart but technically limited player of his age develops the speed or skills to play at a high level. If the options available this year are players who don't fit in Klopp's style (I'm guessing this is Hector), too expensive, or not good enough, we should persist with Moreno and try to recruit a youngster to potentially take his spot next season.

redfanman and Livvy like this.
  30. Makati Red

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892...eicesters-chilwell-as-valuations?ICID=HP_BN_1

On this occaision I think Melissa is wrong and just being used as a messengre for the club to make the club look hard in negotiations. As no way we walk away from buying a player for 5m

The truth is much more like LCFC just dont want to sell and hope LFC look elsewhere then the player signs a new contract. Even if he doesnt with the prices being paid for players LCFC would be very confident in getting 7m plus for him next year in compensation especially having played some CL and PL football for the club