Ben WOODBURN: 2016/17

Discussion in 'U21s & U18s' started by Nikola, Nov 29, 2016.

1. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

If he didn't go the last time why bother doing it again now?

2. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Jürgen said that Ben Woodburn's goal 'was not too difficult, I would have scored too'. lol

steveee likes this.
  3. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

4. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

5. sportbilly1966

sportbilly1966 TIA New Signing

Looks so impressive in that midfield role aka Lallana, has aggression, vision and great dribbling ability

6. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the role in which he spends the most of his career. I don't think he'll ever have the pace to play as wide player or the strength to lead the line. His technical qualities, flair and speed of thought, however, would probably be best utilised in areas where he can have the most of the ball (I think that Lijnders spoke of using him a lot at the tip of midfield diamond in lower age categories). Ultimately, his position doesn't matter, just as long as he forges a long and successful career at Liverpool.

Cologne-Liverpool likes this.
  7. sportbilly1966

sportbilly1966 TIA New Signing

Against Plymouth in the 2nd half he was moved to midfield and looked quality although did play the easy option a lot, being expansive in his game will come when he starts to feel more comfortable being in the 1st team.

My main overriding factor watching Woodburn is his game intelligence which is something that is hard to coach.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  8. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I guess he may have seen a few more minutes if we had been better off in games, his run on the bench has sort of coincided with the drop in form.

9. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

I have to admire the simple way he plays football at such a young age (you can have players too willing to impress that they start doing wild things, or too comfortable with themselves and just do individual stuff). He seems to possess some really basic stuff, sharp passing with decent vision, little turns and changes of direction, discipline to work. Gives him a chance to develop in different positions as well. You can imagine he watches a lot of Coutinho's game.

10. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I noticed against Wolves from my vantage point in the Kop, that when the better players came on he saw more involvement, some would suggest it was down to the players coming on but they actually involved him more, trusted him with the ball more, that's a good thing, Moreno meanwhile wouldn't let him near a corner earlier in the game even though every single one from Moreno was rubbish.

redfanman likes this.
  11. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

I came hunting for opinions on where everyone thinks Woodburn would end up playing. Eddie got me thinking about it in the who would you buy thread saying Woodburn's chances might be limited if we brought in a another young wide player. Every time I see him play he reminds me more of Paul Scholes (minus the horrendous attempts at tackling) than any attacking winger I can think of.

I agree with Nikola, might end up being #10 or attacking mid, somewhere in the middle of the field. Anyone have differing thoughts on this?

12. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

On showings so far I thought he could potentially develop into a sort of left-sided Mane, I must say. Has he played centrally for any of the youth sides?

13. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

I think he's being used centrally at the moment. It'll take someone who follows youth team more closely to tell you exactly how long he's been used in that spot...but maybe from sometime in January he's been used mostly in CM for the reserves?

In the clip above (Ipswich game for U23s), he's certainly in CM.

14. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

He was definitely central (AM) on Monday. It looked a bit like this:

Brewster
    Ojo..............................................Wilson
    Grujic...............Woodburn
    Stewart
    Randall.........Gomez..............Phillips..........TAA
    Grabara
    There was quite a bit of fluidity though, particularly with the positions taken up by Wilson and Woodburn.

15. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

Michael beale in one of his interviews said that he used Woodburn in the hole for last full season and TAA as the DM / Dpm.

16. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

I wouldn't necessarily read too much into that, as there is definitely an eye to our youth coaches playing prospects in roles that will stress the areas they most need to improve if they're going to make it all the way, rather than playing them where they are best suited.

redfanman and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  17. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

My thought too. I wouldn't be surprised if Woodburn is being played further back to develop his defensive and pressing games and long term he's being eyed as a Firmino type forward.

geebo likes this.
  18. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Scott Jones likes this.
  19. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

geebo likes this.
  20. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

That run he did last night from the halfway line, turned his marker and sped off to the centre of the 18 yard box was pretty good. He took 2-3 defenders with him and unfortunately we have Origi stopped on his tracks and not running closer to the 18 yard box to receive a pass. In the end, he was crowded out. Origi should have gone with him to give Woodburn an outlet rather than staying out wide.

eng.amohd and Livvy like this.
  21. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

I liked how Woodburn was couragous and not afraid to take on his man. His touches oozed class, and he'd be a regular option from the bench next season, probably in place of Studgy or Ings.

A quick question to be sure, he is considered homegrown, isn't he? I'd also like to know how Welsh, Scots and Irish players are treated regarding the homegrown rule?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  22. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Yes they are.

He grew so much into the game, not easy playing against such cloggers at Stoke, he got smashed around and did look nervous to start.. Going to be a fantastic player, really think he will be great understudy to Cou.

eng.amohd likes this.
  23. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Get this lad close to Lallana in training, he even did one of those Cruyff turns yesterday to keep the ball by the byline! It's unfortunate that he isn't quick, nor strong but that might actually be a blessing in disguise for his development as a football player. Lallana also lack those traits but has sublime technical ability and game intelligence and when his confidence is up and he is playing centrally, he's pretty good. I hope Woodburn follows that path as well, he might be a good option for Liverpool in two or three years' time. Just look at his movement and the way he closes down opponents.

Oh, and that was a penalty on him yesterday!

redfanman and Hope in your heart like this.
  24. Limiescouse

Nationality is not a factor. For instance, both Cesc and Clichy qualify as homegrown. It only matters in what country they were playing their football during their development years (and for UEFA considerations, specifically at what club).

I thought he had a mixed game yesterday. He showed creditable appetite for it on a day when no one was able to get into the game. For someone so slight he also came out of a couple of physical exchanges pretty well. These are encouraging signs, but I think he also showed that he's got some way yet to go before he becomes an answer to any issue we have. For some reason, I also thought he was quicker than he showed yesterday.

Hope in your heart and eng.amohd like this.
  25. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

Thanks for clearing that out mate! :-)

I see Woodburn as one with slightly lesser technique than Coutinho, with a bit more pace. For a 17 yo to start at a (cold rainy night) in Stoke, and become the only player who offers something going forward speaks volumes. However, as you put it, he still got some way to go, but I believe he is ready for regular sub appearances, and should warrant the sort of treatment BR treated Sterling. I am quite sure he'd explode in the same way Raheem did with us.

26. Limiescouse

He doesn't have the physical talents of Sterling and that means it's likely to take longer for him to establish himself. Pace masks the undeveloped decision making of youth and inexperience and unlike this Chester born predecessor, that just isnt a trait Woodburn has.

redfanman and eng.amohd like this.
  27. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

True, I completely agree. Hopefully it won't take him long. I am very excited to see him develop into a real monster.

28. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

No penalty for me, thought it might be when it happened, but on the replay thought it wasn't.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  29. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin