Benjamin Mendy (LB) Monaco

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by ubermick, May 31, 2017.

?

Will we get him?

1. Yeah!

2. No chance!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dave-D

Dave-D Well-Known Member

Seem to be £40 million not sure what that equates to in euros. Which would then make the rumours City offered 40 million incorrect.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...closing-on-southampton-defender-ryan-bertrand

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  2. gr_sounder

gr_sounder Always Watching

Ok, thanks for sharing that, at least I have a bit of a source for what you were writing, but even that link only says that Guardiola is an admirer of the player.... and gives a value that Monaco may be claiming to be a selling price.

It may well happen and for that price, but right now there is darn little to go on, and definitely not what was said in your prior post. I'm really not trying to have a go at you, I'm really not. I believe you wrote what you thought you heard, or maybe you actually heard it, but it's quite a bit different than what was in your earlier post.

3. LFC_5

LFC_5 Member

Benjamin Mendy is now the first choice left-back but there are other clubs in pursuit and the fee Monaco want is a big one. (@MelissaReddy_)

redfanman likes this.
  4. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Yay! Melissa is back from her hols! now we can keep up to date on our transfers!

5. pottymonster

pottymonster I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

OK, but can this kid defend? I get that he's good going forward, but I think if Klopp was primarily concerned with attacking output, he would have probably found more time for Moreno. I think Klopp values the defensive contributions of his fullbacks more than many people suspect.

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  6. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

To be honest Moreno wasn't that good at attacking.

costared, kwala, spartacus136 and 2 others like this.
  7. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

This myth that Moreno is good going forward has to die. He is fast. That does not make him good going forward.

costared, Livvy, SBYM and 8 others like this.
  8. Nevoo34

Nevoo34 Sleeping with the enemy

That's not what she said, she was answering a question as to who would be her choice and she said Mendy not that he was our first choice.

Makati Red, redfanman and MikeOscar like this.
  9. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Remember when we signed a few players from Spain (or more widely the Iberian peninsula) such as Alberto, Aspas, Moreno and Ilori who turned out to mostly be overrated garbage? Remember when Woodgate was then added to our Iberian recruitment team but not at the expense of Julian Ward? Remember when Woodgate then left within a year? Have we just sacked that region off now on the basis that if they were any good they'd be picked up by Atletico, Barca or Real?

Might be sensible.

redfanman likes this.
  10. Limiescouse

Please don't mention Ilori. I'm still waiting for calls for him to step in (or Loris, or Ililorili) to cover for our failed move for VVD. Him and JoGo at the back together...am I right?

pottymonster and Chewbazza like this.
  11. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Melissa has already retweeted this fact so not true

12. hugo the horrible

hugo the horrible Ridiculously optimistic.

One day, one season,we are going to sign a quality LB.Dunno when, but it will happen.
    Now Mendy would fit the bill nicely. imo, so it wont happen.
    I've been having LB nightmares since Roy signed that superstar Konchesky.
    Please make it happen,I want to get over this nightmare.

13. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Melissa said a lot of things, but nothing new... just rambling and giving an opinion. Mendy could be on our list, we might try, maybe he's Klopp's ideal option... but we'll see who are our alternatives.

Chewbazza likes this.
  14. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

I think Reading would have something to say about that.

redfanman likes this.
  15. Limiescouse

The fact we no longer own him would make a call for him to come in for serious consideration only marginally more fanciful than it was when he owned him.

scouseheadross and redfanman like this.
  16. Mark Thurgood

Mark Thurgood is tired of this "new member" tag

I think people are still referring to his goal at spurs

Semmy and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  17. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

I actually think he would be a half-decent sub at LW, speedy left-footed with a decent cross. Not like we're paying him a large salary and there's no fee involved in keeping him, just train him accordingly

18. Mark Thurgood

Mark Thurgood is tired of this "new member" tag

Proof of my previous statement, he's not very good going forward, when he even gets close to the 18yard box he's suffering dizzy heights and gets a nose bleed being too far forward. Let's just say for argument sake, he is good going forward as a "decent sub at LW", then why was he used late in games? When he did make that LW appearance, clearly Jurgen doesn't have faith in him in that position either.

19. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

I think what you are saying is one of the reasons Klopp gave him another season. That and the need for emergency left back cover when we couldn't bring Chilwell in. But if Klopp is now prepared to release him I'd say that's proof that it wasn't working (or looking like it'd work) in training after a year of trying.

redfanman likes this.
  20. spizfromoz

spizfromoz The Ancient Home of Austerity

Every year it seems the full back position is among the toughest to fill. We all wanted Moreno to succeed but it takes a serious mix of ability. Find a good one who knows how get forward and screws opposition defences with width and overload. Wonder if we should just invest in this at youth level . Grow or own so to speak.

Scott Jones likes this.
  21. Limiescouse

Full back is a strange position. It is relatively easy to find someone competent. It is damn near impossible to find someone good. When all you have is competency you always think you should be able to do a bit better. Teams then spend tens of millions chasing that and almost always fail.

It's why it still hurts to think how we fucked up the Dani Alvez move all those years ago.

redfanman and spizfromoz like this.
  22. Lostmyfunk 3421

Lostmyfunk 3421 Standing on the verge of getting it on

Ziege was the one I thought would be really good. But he wasn't.
    Other than Milner, Arbeloa, Nicol ,Rise and Finnan all others have been poor or average at best in my lifetime. We need to get a good full back urgently..

23. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I doubt he would have ended up playing right back under Rafa, though. I honestly can't remember whether Simao or Alves link came first but Alves was playing as right winger back then for Sevilla (at the time of Liverpool's interest). Then Rafa ended up with Pennant...

Fullback role is in a transition, though, you really have to be a complete footballer in terms of physical and tactical aspects to become a decent one and if you have good technical ability, you'll be a rare top one, like you said. Valencia, Alves, Carvajal, Sandro and Marcelo are cream of the crop at the moment, I struggle to think of anyone else who is at their level. No wonder Klopp is insistent on getting a young left back with certain qualities like pace and technical ability, so that he can shape him to his liking (same goes for fast-tracking Alexander-Arnold).

spizfromoz and Livvy like this.