Bundesliga 2016/17

Discussion in 'European Football' started by Nikola, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

Yup, that's exactly what I meant, thanks ;-)
    And it's also about rules applying for pretty much everybody (with its advantages and disadvantages) but not for a select few. The Blackburn example you gave would be more comparable to Leverkusen or Wolfsburg, where basically everything in the cities evolves around Bayer/Volkswagen. Red Bull is taking it a huge step further and adding a lot more (problematic issues imo) to the mix.

@lfc.eddie Don't want to argue anymore, mate. ;-) When it comes to this issue, for a lot of football fans here the PL is the bad example they don't want to follow. This might be hard to understand, because the PL is an exciting league, but that's the way it is. One should also understand that Germany in general has a very strong "club culture" (I don't mean nightlife here, I mean the German word "Vereinskultur"). To be a member of a "Verein" is an important part of the culture in all parts of German life, even more so than in the UK. I think this plays into it as well. So we agree, it's a cultural thing in many ways.

But nevermind, I'll leave it at that, interesting discussion nonetheless, guys:well done:

macces82, Rooster and lfc.eddie like this.
  2. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Kahn just started an attack and said Ancelotti has less ideas / is more uninspired in comparison with Guardiola.

Boateng is fighting with Rummenigge via press/media.

Bayern theater is starting. :-) Popcorn please!

Cologne-Liverpool likes this.
  3. Dortmund fan

Uli Hoeness just said it will take not long time and we'll see first € 200 m transfer.

[​IMG]

4. Dortmund fan

This week Bayern extended Lewandowski's contract until 2021.

That means he is not available for many rich clubs like PSG on the transfer market anymore, they will focus on Aubameyang, I'm afraid. :-( Even Zorc can't keep him in Dortmund then.

5. gingerbread

gingerbread TIA Squad Member

Is it possible for Leipzig to win Bungdesliga? Or non-usual contenders also often drop off in 2nd half of Bungdesliga?

In EPL, normally it will be the holiday period or injuries to screw up the non-contenders team. And because they don't have as deep of a squad as the like of City or Chelsea they tends to drop off in second half (Soton and WBA in recent years for example, which is why people did not believe Leicester winning it last year even by Christmas)

6. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

Who knows. Hoffenheim e.g. had an awesome first half of the season in their first BL season as well, finishing top - and then dropped points in the second half. There is a winter break though , as you all know, so slightly different to what you mentioned in the PL. I guess it's going to be more about if they are "found out" - they play a certain style, I guess it's attractive and successful so far, but to a degree other teams will probably adapt to it. Again, who knows, maybe they'll pull off a Kaiserslautern '97/'98 or a Leicester.

7. Dortmund fan

Wolfsburg want to replace their manager Valerien Ismaël by David Wagner from Huddersfield Town, BILD just wrote.

8. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Be gutted to see Huddersfield lose Wagner, a good start to the season so far for them and a handy ally for Klopp in English football who he can help develop Liverpool players at.

As for Germany it's a bit bitter sweet, yes I'm anyone but Bayern but I'm no fan of the Red Bull franchises.

Expect Charlton to be the next one.

9. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

I dont watch much BL, but I might make time to watch Bayern vs RB this wednesday what with so little work on and no midweek prem or CL games. Other than Wisdom, who should I look out for on RB?

10. Prolix

Prolix Well-Known Member

Wisdom plays for RB Salzburg.

Limiescouse likes this.
  11. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Weren't we interested in that ex-Forest lad just before he went to RB? Been doing well over there from what I've read, could be worth a shufty to see if he might be someone we should take another look at in a future window.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  12. Limiescouse

Ha. Awesome.

13. Limiescouse

Aye, that's right. Apparently, Papadopoulos is there on loan, and Gulacsi now appears to be their number 1

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  14. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Nice topping the league should credit us a little then, and now RB too with our former keeper.... :well done:

15. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

BM play RB tonight. should be a good game, BBC world service did an interesting piece on the RB Business model
    and these articles may be an interesting read for some

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/20/bayern-munich-rb-leipzig-top-two-bundesliga
    Bayern Munich v RB Leipzig: top two prepare for Bundesliga summit meeting

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bayern-munich-vs-rb-leipzig-9485816
    Bayern Munich vs RB Leipzig is a clash of first against second where east meets west and old faces new
    The Bundesliga’s top two face off on Wednesday night and here’s all you need to know courtesy of German football expert Ross Dunbar.

16. DrSnuggles

DrSnuggles Member

bayern are swallowing the red bull tonight

17. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

BM 3 - 0 RB
    RB finished with 10 men and it was a deserved Red Card.
    Being a neutral, and watching my first full game of BL football this season, It was a good game.

Cologne-Liverpool and DrSnuggles like this.
  18. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

Hah! Some goal that by Lewandowski, to win it in injury time. Just a hopeful, chipped cross into the box, and Lewa turns it into a goal. Brilliant.

19. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  20. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Didn't Firmino do something like that against Swansea in his second goal? Lewandowski took one more touch while Firmino just shoot it with his left.

spizfromoz likes this.
  21. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

The bit in the training ground where Lewandowski takes his shirt off with the ball and puts it back on whilst controlling the ball, it's clever. I could see Firmino or Coutinho performing it though.

22. Foals

Foals New Member

Yes, we finally won a game away from home. :celebrating:

After being down 2-0 at Leverkusen(thanks to giving up two stupid goals) we were able to come back and win it 3-2.

BTW: Dahoud finally looked like the player of last season.

23. Foals

Foals New Member

The results of the weekend:

Hamburg - Leverkusen 1-0
    Bayern - Schalke 1-1
    Gladbach - Freiburg 3-0
    Berlin - Ingolstadt 1-0
    Cologne - Wolfsburg 1-0
    Hoffenheim - Mainz 4-0
    Dortmund - Leipzig 1-0
    Augsburg - Bremen 3-2
    Frankfurt - Darmstadt 2-0

It seems a bit like the top seven could get away from the rest, if none of them has a dip in form.

Leverkusen's Hakan Calhanoglu was banned for four months by CAS, thanks to a transfer to Trabzonspor in 2011, which he didn't complete.

Some Dortumd fans went crazy and attacked anyone they could identify as a Red Bull fan, even if it was families with kids. They started throwing stuff at them. :shocked:

We were able to beat Freiburg in a really tough game(both teams covered over 120 kilometers), thanks to Lars Stindl and his leadership. Dahoud played solid and even assisted the second goal by Raffael.

Bayern looks quite mediocre in 2017 and couldn't get a win against a Schalke team, that has been really bad so far this season. They even got lucky with that draw against them, as Schalke was the better team.

And Bremen's defense is a joke. They should've won that game by 4-1 or 5-1, but Gnabry was incredibly selfish on offense, while they gave up two goals that even Sunday League teams wouldn't concede.

24. Bino the Original

Bino the Original Member

25. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

The Magic Dwarf. :-(

Give him a 2-3 year contract, captain's armband, #8 shirt and let him choose where he wants to play.

26. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Two absolute modern greats are retiring at Bayern this season - both are league, Champions League and World Cup winners and both deserved everything they won. Football careers don't get better than that.

Maria and mattyhurst like this.
  27. Foals

Foals New Member

The round of 16 of the german cup(DFB Pokal) was held during the week.
    Here are the results:

Hamburg - Cologne 2-0
    Walldorf - Bielefeld 4-5 (penalty shootout)
    Bayern Wolfsburg 1-0
    Furth - Gladbach 0-2
    Lotte - 1860 Munich 2-0
    Sandhausen - Schalke 1-4
    Dortmund - Hertha Berlin 3-2 (penalty shootuout)
    Hannover - Frankfurt 1-2

Here are the draws for the quarterfinals:

Frankfurt - Bielefeld
    Lotte - Dortmund
    Bayern - Schalke
    Hamburg - Gladbach

As usual, Bayern with a home game to keep on going in the cup.
    Dortmund will face Sportfreunde Lotte, the only team left from the 3rd division.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2017
  28. Bino the Original

Bino the Original Member

Tbf Bayern drew Wolfsburg last round and now drew Schalke...2 difficult rounds..

Dortmund meanwhile....

29. Foals

Foals New Member

Wolfsburg has been crap this season and Schalke isn't great as well, even if they got that point in Munich last weekend.
    It's also two home games in a row, which helps out a lot in those games.

Anyways, here are the results, so far, of this weekend.

Mainz - Augsburg 2-0
    Leverkusen - Frankfurt 3-0
    Ingolstadt - Bayern 0-2
    Bremen - Gladbach 0-1
    Darmstadt - Dortmund 2-1
    Leipzig - Hamburg 0-3
    Schalke - Berlin 2-0

Today there are two more games left.
    Freiburg - Cologne
    Wolfsburg - Hoffenheim

Bayern won that game thanks to two goals in stoppage time, like always with Bayern Dusel(luck) while playing really badly.
    I know Arsenal isn't playing great or anything, but Bayern's nothing special this season as well.

Dortmund made fools out of themselves losing at Darmstadt and being lucky to only concede two goals in that game.

Leipzig aren't playing that well right now and clearly lost that game against Hamburg, who're now out of the relegation spots. Leipzig also lost striker Youssuf Poulsen for about six weeks due to injury.

Bremen's defense is a joke and will be their downfall, if they can't somehow work that out.
    We won that game even though we played without Stindl and Raffael.

If Cologne and Hoffenheim lose today(easily possible) then Bayern would be the only team of the top seven to get points this weekend. They're also now seven points clear of 2nd place Leipzig.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  30. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I know this happened a while ago now, I watched the match between Dortmund and Leipzig, although I am great admirer of Dortmund and what it stands for, as a club, the team and especially the fans.

However, I was very astonished and dismayed with the way the Dortmund fans conducted themselves. They were well out of order pelting stones and causing a dangerous situation at Leipzig fans, some fans had children with them, it was a very frightening atmosphere. Dortmund fans are better than that, I feel they let their club down. It's not the Leipzig fans fault if they support Leipzig, a club which has not developed from the traditional footballing roots of the Bundesliga.

Maybe, the German TIA members could she'd some light on this from another perspective.

Werder4life likes this.