Bundesliga 2016/17

Discussion in 'European Football' started by Nikola, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I'm watching Schalke - Dortmund, visitors are teaching a counter-attacking class today. It's 0:1 but it should have really been 0:2 but for Aubameyang's selflessness. Dembele truly is something special, every time I watch him, he looks more creative than in the previous match. A winger by trade but he'll turn into a proper playmaker on the wing if he continues developing like this. Klopp would have really enjoyed working with him.

2. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

don't say that... you are meant to say waster, no work ethic, dodged a bullet

3. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    geebo, redfanman, Jimmyscase and 4 others like this.
  4. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

That is such a wonderful gesture. Klopp seems truly loved overall in Germany I believe too.

Did Klopp say, when returns to Germany, he is going to live in Mainz as his main home?

Jimmyscase and Livvy like this.
  5. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Maybe not overall in germany ;-) but very much in his former clubs and most of the fans are still appreciating what he has done for them.

Yep he said... "As I will come back to Mainz to live there, I would be glad if there was still Bundesliga football."

I 'm not sure but i think his sons are living there.

geebo and Maria like this.
  6. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Thanks @Livvy, I like Mainz, visited it when I was a teenager, it's famous for the carnival.

redfanman, Jimmyscase and Livvy like this.
  7. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Bayern again missing chances, Lewandowski especially missing a 1v1 with second to go until half time. Dortmund now lead 2-3, Dembele turned it with an assist and a goal. Boy, he is special. Him, Griezmann, Mbappe... what an attack.

Cologne-Liverpool and Maria like this.
  8. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

It is an exciting match ^^^. Quality players on both sides and they have good defensive units.

9. Zoran

Out of 2 trophies in a few days.

Like I said last summer, I wonder if the usual Pep haters will also turn to the generally likeable grandpa Carlo... :-)

lfc.eddie and Cologne-Liverpool like this.
  10. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Brilliant and thrilling to the end.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  11. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Ahh, I missed that one... seems to have been a good match to watch. Very pleased for Dortmund! :-)

12. Nikola

Bayern are destroying Wolfsburg, it's 5:0 at the moment. Luis Gustavo got sent away just before the fifth goal, he was incensed to have been adjudged to have fouled Sanches (blocked his path), then kicked the ball out in anger and started angrily applauding to the referee, got into his face - that has to be a longer suspension. Wolfsburg are four points above the relegation places...

13. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

5th title in a row with 3 different managers, another record broken by untouchable Bayern.

redfanman likes this.
  14. Werder4life

Werder4life Well-Known Member

Well , it's getting a whole lot easier for them to dominate the leauge in coming years , given they are not the only ones plundering the BL for talent anymore. The ridiculous budgets of the PL are going to drain talent from all clubs that could be able to challenge besides BVB.

After our unbelievable run from relegation into EL places , I fear the worst for the coming window.
    http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2017/04/29/werder-bremen-vs-hertha-berlin-highlights/

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    redfanman, Wyld@Heart and Livvy like this.
  15. Hope in your heart

Within a few years, Bundesliga has gone from most exciting and high-quality to boring and utterly predictable. No club is able to challenge Bayern anymore. Let's hope that Dortmund can get their act together a bit next season, in order to make it slightly more interesting, but I'm not holding my breath. Bayern have really become a class apart in this league, and it's a shame. It remembers me of the Celtic situation in Scotland (sixth title in a row this season), or the Basel one in Switzerland (eight title in a row!).

As for the PL, while it is far, far away from living up to the self-proclaimed 'best league in the world' tag in terms of quality, it's at least somewhat unpredictable as to which club will win next season's title. At least four clubs can seriously pretend for it on paper, and that is good.

The best league remains of course the Spanish one, and by a country-mile, especially in terms of quality on offer. Maybe slightly less unpredictable than the PL, but there are still three genuine world-class teams fighting it out, and a few others trying to get in the mix with some real quality on show.

Wyld@Heart likes this.
  16. Zoran

Such a lazy club Wolfsburg lately, even with the money they have, but the proof is a couple of bad decisions and there you go, you're in trouble...

Cologne-Liverpool likes this.
  17. Hope in your heart

The problems VW have had hampered them probably. And as you say, a few bad decisions, especially the decision to let Allofs leave, which I found very puzzling. He has been great everywhere he has gone, also for them, and helped them to be competitive at one point. Do you know what prompted him and the club to part ways?

18. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

If you only look at the title-race - unfortunately you're right of course, Bayern are in a different league in the last couple of years, a kind of ongoing dominance unprecedented in BL history.
    But apart from that, the league is more competitive than ever. Within a few matches you can go from danger of being relegated to a EL position, loads of big clubs that are struggling, the usual suspects of recent years (Schalke, Leverkusen, Mönchengladbach, Wolfsburg ), RB Leipzig and Hoffenheim 2nd and 3rd right now and you have the comeback of Werder Bremen and the relative success of well-organised teams like Freiburg, Hertha, Köln, Frankfurt. Pretty unpredictable this season, the only thing you can bet on before the season is that Hamburg will be fighting relegation...

Werder4life and Livvy like this.
  19. Werder4life

I don't know the Wolfsburg situation , but I think he just got thrown under the bus because of the shit season.
    Since his wife died from cancer a year before he left Werder he changed a lot (at least in his public appearence). Seemed more grumpy , more uncompromising and sad. I would think he got tired of the industry lately , though he claimed that he would be interested to take on another DF job in future.

20. Hope in your heart

Well that's one to earmark for LFC if he ever wants to move countries! :-)

21. Nikola

Hamburg has to be one of the worst run clubs in Europe's biggest leagues, if not the worst. How they manage to survive in Bundesliga is beyond me. No direction, no long-term planning, transfers all seem so random... And they have a great stadium and great support.

@Werder4life, how's Veljković been doing this season? Seems to start a lot of games in central defence if I'm not mistaken?

22. Werder4life

Well , he could be a very smart move for a club like LFC.
    His ability to identify talent and broker a deal got us to 1 leauge title, 3 cups and 5 years CL in a row. He brought players like Micoud, Klose, Diego, Özil and Kevin de Bruyne to Werder for peanuts. He definetly knows his shit.

PS: Oh - and of course Claudio Pizarro - three times lol

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  23. Cologne-Liverpool

Kind of lost his magic touch in recent years though, don't you think? Don't get me wrong, his spell at Bremen for a long time was one of the most impressive displays of transfer brilliance in BL history if you ask me, so still got loads of respect for the man....

Werder4life likes this.
  24. Werder4life

Yes - HSV has been a joke for pretty much ten years now. Well, they are to us what ManU is to LFC - so we can't stop laughing over here but both our clubs went to shit pretty much the same time. To many people are meddling in Hamburgs affairs imho. Total joke on the board level there.

Veljkovic does pretty well. He usually starts as RB in a 4 or rightsided CB in a back three for us

Cologne-Liverpool likes this.
  25. Werder4life

My take on this is that the chemistry was wrong at WOB. He did some outstanding deals for them as well. Bought KdB for 19m from Chelsea (was constantly out on loan before)and fleeced ManCity for 50m when Kevin wanted the move. But he hates moneyball. His intention was to build a squad with patience. Didn't get that with corporate money at WOB imo.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  26. Cologne-Liverpool

Not sure I completely agree on that - but I don't want to turn this into the Allofs thread...(Still better than talking about RB Leipzig or Bayern or Dortmund all the time though...;-))

redfanman and Werder4life like this.
  27. Werder4life

No problem. It's just Kaffeesatzleserei on my part. I guess after many years in a small shed like Bremen , many people - players, coaches and managers had a hard time adjusting to a different environment.

Livvy and Cologne-Liverpool like this.
  28. Hope in your heart

Completely agree with this. He was the one making Wolfsburg competitive, and quite quickly too. And as soon as he goes, everything falls apart. Very telling imo.

29. Prolix

Prolix Well-Known Member

Say it quietly, but it does make one wonder whether there is a certain value to a US-style playoff system. Because, let's be honest, a two-horse race is only marginally more interesting than a one-horse race. In a knockout "finals" system, though, anything can happen.

Edit: Now that I think about it, a large reason other sports use a playoff system might be because a lot of them use uneven schedules where not every team places the same teams the same number of times.

30. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

I was excited earlier in the year when Leipzig was in 1st place and looked like they could pose a challenge for Bayern, but soon enough they started falling back and once again Munich dominated. To me, a league loses most, if not all, of its interest if you know who the winner is going to be every year. Bayern are so dominant and there are no signs of anyone overtaking them in the near future. In La Liga, Real and Barcelona have won 11 out of the last 12 titles and Juventus has won the Serie A 5 times in a row.

I cannot consider any of those leagues "best in the world" when you know every year who's going to win and the top 1-2 teams are so much better than the rest of the league. Barcelona, Real and Atletico have a GD of +164, and teams 4-6 +57, almost 3x. They're just heads and shoulders above the rest. Bayern has a +62 GD, more than 2nd and 3rd place combined. They just pummel BL opponents.