Champions League 2015/16

Discussion in 'European Football' started by Nikola, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Another Champions League edition without our club in it but no reason not to exchange a few words about it.

2. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

3. Zoran

Ter Stegen, Alves, Pique, Mascherano, Mathieu, Busquets, Rakitic, Iniesta, Rafinha, Messi, Suarez

Beto, Coke, Rami, Krychowiak, Tremoulinas, Iborra, Banega, Vitolo, Krohn-Delhi, Reyes, Gameiro

4. Ataturk

Ataturk ★★★★★

Cancel football guys....this is the end.

fcukManU likes this.
  5. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

What a freekick for both side.... Messi made that looked bloody easy.

6. Zoran

Nice from Banega and even nicer from Messi.

7. Ataturk

Ataturk ★★★★★

And even nicer from Messi!

Zoran likes this.
  8. fcukManU

fcukManU still a dani pacheco stan

Dat Barcelona mayne...

[​IMG]

9. Ataturk

Ataturk ★★★★★

This stomach bug they picked up must be playing a part here, Sevilla have been shockingly bad at times.

10. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

Game on..!!

11. lfc.eddie

bloody hell, I went to sleep when Barcelona were up 4-1, after Suarez got his goal.

12. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Darke and Owen have been brilliant tonight.

Owen:

"They're flying machines these balls" - after Schweinsteiger overhits pass into the crowd
    "If I could pick one sub in world football, it'd be Hernandez"
    "That would have been goal of the season" - 18/08

Darke:

"Brugge will be doing cartwheels", "...this is beyond their wildest dreams" - when getting beat 2-1.

13. lfc.eddie

Well Carrick got on the score sheet and Depay looked more comfortable in continental game than English ones.

14. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

La Liga have 5 teams in the champions league with Valencia qualifying thanks to Negredo goal. The guy who played in the EPL once, recently, or something. :-)
    There's a line in there that hurts:
    “In life, you have to suffer to reach one’s goals,” Valencia’s coach, Nuno Espirito Santo, said. “This is the first game of our future. Valencia is a Champions League team. We wanted to be here and here we are.”
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/25/champions-league-round-up-negredo-valencia-monaco

Onwards and upwards LFC!!

15. kotsebotse

kotsebotse TIA New Signing

I watched parts of the Monaco - Valencia game and Negredo's goal was wonderful, a real beauty by him.

Some of our friends from last year's CL groups played in those preliminary rounds:
    Basel were defeated yesterday by Maccabi Tel Aviv.
    Ludogorets is also out of the CL after suffering defeat from some team from Moldova in the first preliminary round. The team from Moldova were defeated in the next round by the albanian Skenderbeu and then yesterday Skenderbeu were smashed by Dinamo Zagreb. Btw Ludogrets had a new coach at the start of the season (the tradition there to fire the coach after becoming champions continues) who is close friends with Mourinho, but he was fired a week or two ago.

16. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

So Zagreb is qualified then? Very glad for them, @Zoran will be happy about that I reckon... :well done:

As for me, I watched Basel going out to Maccabi, who showed maximum efficiency to say the least: three shots on target over the two games, three goals, with Zahavi scoring all three goals for them!... As for Basel, despite dominating both games, they suffered a mix of losing too many key players during the summer, having injuries to the remaining ones, bad form, profligacy, and both refs taking key decisions against them. In short, an absolute clusterfuck which will see them lose around € 20m in revenues this season. Anyway, life goes on...

17. Zoran

No other club for me apart from Liverpool mate! ;-)

Nah, of course I'm satisfied to have a Croatian team (and follow their games in Europe) in the CL, but I don't really support any club over here. The whole club is a sad place (although financially very stable due to quality player sales), the stadium is pretty much empty for years due to protest against the board led by one man and they've been known for heavy defeats in this competition so I expect the same this time, they'll be an opportunity for better/big clubs to work on their goal difference. They do have some decent players and they always produce top talent from their academy & grabbing from elsewhere, but it's really difficult to achieve something (more than total domestic domination) in such a non-sporting environment.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  18. RedCanuck099

RedCanuck099 Well-Known Member

Rooney was horrible today....

If you're playing Club Brugge you should atleast score 4. He's past it.

19. Zoran

20. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

My predictions:

Group: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

A: Real, PSG, Malmo, Shakhtar
    B: Wolfsburg, United, CSKA, PSV
    C: Atletico, Galatasaray, Benfica, Astana
    D: Juventus, Sevilla, City, Monchengladbach
    E: Barca, Roma, Leverkusen, BATE
    F: Bayern, Arsenal, Olympiacos, Dinamo Zagreb
    G: Chelsea, Porto, Tel-Aviv, Dynamo Kyiv
    H: Lyon, Valencia, Zenit, Gent

21. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Agree with Groups D, F & G Kopstar but I suspect ManU's group could be more open than that. All four teams are potential banana skins for each other and it's too close to call! Hopefully ManU finish 3rd so we can knock them out of the Europa League!!!

22. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me if United finished third or possibly even last in their group. Chelsea will be fine - or should be - and Arsenal will finish a comfortable second. No idea how strong Sevilla are now that they've lost Bacca, but that will decide whether City finish second or third in their group.

23. RedCanuck099

So even though City are the best team in their group (on paper), they have no chance at first?

24. Zinedine Biscan

City better than Juve? No, not for my money.

25. RedCanuck099

Aguero>Mandzukic
    Sterling>Morata

Silva>Cuadrado
    Nasri/Navas>Marchisio
    Pogba&Khedira>Toure&Fernandinho

Clichy=Evra
    Kompany&Otamendi>Chiellini&Barzagli
    Zabaleta>Caceres

Hart=Buffon

It's not even close.

26. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Well, we will soon see who is best between the two teams!!! Chelsea certainly have the more expensive team yet you cannot argue with Juve's success in recent years either. Actions speak louder than words and all that.

27. Zinedine Biscan

Wow, you've certainly listed some names and drawn some arrows there. Case proven then, I guess. How did the two clubs get on in the competition over the past few years? I'm assuming City habitually get much further than Juve?

28. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

The sides of last year would make that a very difficult group for Citeh. We'll have to wait and see how badly the latest rounds of exits of Sevilla affect them and how well Juve adapt to having the spine of this side removed. It's not unreasonable to project Citeh absolutely walking that group, especially if they get Juve at home early on, before they've had time to find their feet. Likewise with Utd and PSV and Wolfsburg - the sides they will be playing are considerably inferior to the ones who qualified. Importantly for Citeh is that all the trips are relatively easy, and the impact on the league is not much. In that respect, lol at Chelsea having to way the F out East twice.

29. Zoran

United will still probably win their group in the end. We'll see what Wolfsburg does with the money if they have enough time to react (+ there are still some rumours that Perisic might be on his way to Inter, too). Group D looks interesting, Juve & City with some exciting signings against two new counter attacking sides in the CL. Barcelona up against two fresh energetic sides that could be shaky/exposed at the back at this level, so could be goals there. Atletico should routinely win their group. Valencia with a nice chance to progress in their first season back after a while.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  30. Mount Emre

Mount Emre Member

Can't see past Barca winning it again this year. I think if Robben and Ribery stay fit then Bayern have a chance but they're injured as much as Sturridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.