Champions League 2016/17

Discussion in 'European Football' started by Nikola, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Da Bulli

Da Bulli Well-Known Member

When was the last time Barcelona has been held scoreless over a 2 legged European cup tie?
    Would be some achievement by Juve.

2. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Against Bayern in the Semis the year after Pep left. This year though Juve have yet to concede a goal in the KO stage and have only given up 2 in this comp all year.

3. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Come on the pitch and score instantly,all over and Monaco look like they have another gear.

4. Dutch

Dutch Active Member Valued Member

Would love to see Mbappé in a Reds shirt.

boston red likes this.
  5. boston red

boston red Show me the Mane.

What impressed me the most :shocked: seemed like he was in full stride then slipped it gear, clearly see it ferrari against bmw good pass also with the left inside of the foot:well done:

6. redbj

redbj hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

how stereotypical.

7. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Barca really made such a mess of the away leg that they deserved to go out, particularly after having done the same thing against PSG and getting away with it. Had they tried to control the second half in Turin and escape with a 2-0, they would not have played the second half in Barcelona under such pressure to score quickly.

Limiescouse likes this.
  8. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

My goodness, only just realised how old Buffon is - 39! Unbelievable how long he's been at the top of the game, older than me and still somehow the best goalkeeper in the world. Just over 1,000 career games now, and still playing for the national team. Wonder how long he can keep going?

redfanman likes this.
  9. Arminius

He has said he wants to retire after the 2018 World Cup, from all football.

10. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

I seen Messi land on his face against Juve to get a nice black eye,that tramp beard makes him top heavy.

ShadesOfRed and Livvy like this.
  11. Zinedine Biscan

Not sure what the records are for career appearances, clean sheets etc, but you'd have fancied him to hold at least a few by then.

12. Limiescouse

And amazingly has never won the CL.

redfanman and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  13. Arminius

Buffon isn't as close as you would think to a lot of those, because he isn't the first Italian goalkeeper to last a long time. It took him a while to really lay definitive claim to the #1 shirt(2002 maybe?) - that is 5-6 years of occasional caps. Clean sheets sounds possible, but he might not actually have more than Zoff.

edit:Casillas has the record for clean sheets, followed by Van der Sar. Sort of makes sense, considering neither had much of a challenge for their prime years. Casillas was Spain's starter from age 21 onward, and wasn't really challenged for the next 12 years.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    redfanman and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  14. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

Nice try grandpa. lollollol

redfanman likes this.
  15. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

7 Seria A titles and a World Cup is not too bad tho.

Isn't he still the most expensive keeper of all time? I thought Juventus was mad when they bought him for that much money back then but in hindsight it's been one of their best investments.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  16. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

I wonder if Barcelona gonna spend all their money on offensive players yet again this summer or they finally gonna come to their senses and strengthen their defense and midfield.

17. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

£50,000,001 for Coutinho, to replace Iniesta

eng.amohd likes this.
  18. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

I don't expect them to be very tight defensively, that has never been their trademark. What I do expect however to see them putting a lot of money in midfield. If they have a very steady midfield, one who can win back possession quickly and hang on to it by passing the ball all over the pitch, then that's where they would go with. They used to have the best trio of Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets. Busquets defending and cleaning up whatever sneaks through Xavi or Iniesta. They have also lost one very reliable winger in Alves. I don't know why they bought Arda Turan, I have no clue what they did last summer either. They have just lost the plot buying players as far as I am concerned.

Quagmire81 likes this.
  19. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

Juve - Such a master class in discipline and defensive structure, exactly the two things Liverpool are lacking. They defend very well, and yet aren't anti-football like a particular Portuguese's teams we all hate. Bonucci and Chillieni are a joy to watch, and Juve's counterattacks are very lethal. Obviously Juve's forwards weren't very switched on, otherwise they would have scored a couple of glorious chances. If only Liverpool can defend in the same way....

Maria and westcoastbias79 like this.
  20. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

So Wenger is replacing Enrique at Barca!

21. Zinedine Biscan

Sadly, it isn't by much lol

22. Joe Ware

Joe Ware Well-Known Member

Is he really the best keeper in the world?
    I do rate him highly - just not too sure if he is better than Neuer, De Gea and Lloris these days.
    I like his commanding presence and the grim look and beard must frighten the life out of most strikers!lollol

23. Zinedine Biscan

I mean, if you're shutting out Messi, Neymar and Suarez for two games straight, and only conceding two goals in this year's CL, you've got to still be up there, right?

24. Joe Ware

Joe Ware Well-Known Member

That isn't actually as good an example as it normally would be as they only had 1 shot on target in last nights game and 4 in the first leg. He didn't really have a huge amount to do.
    The clean sheets they kept has far more to do with Chiellini and Bonucci than Buffon IMO.
    The way they left space out wide was also very clever as crosses into the box are little use to Barca as they do not have any particularly tall players.
    I'm not suggesting that he isn't a great keeper, just questioning as to whether he is actually the worlds best.

ShadesOfRed likes this.
  25. Zinedine Biscan

Alright then, Mr Picky, one of the best! lol

26. Limiescouse

In the last few years they have spent big money on Rakatic, Gomes, Turan. In that time they have also made several moves at the back. The issue is not that they havent tried to retool in those positions, or even that they scrimped to do so.

27. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I think he will this year. When I saw the draw, I thought this could indeed be his and Juventus' year. With Bayern out of the way, I think they can shut out Real and inexperienced Monaco. Not sure about how Atletico would fare against them, someone would have to attack at some point! Joking aside, while I'm rooting for Atletico, they haven't been at their best this season, so Juventus is a favourite for me regardless of the draw. I just hope it's not Atletico vs. Real again.

28. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Oh, no, not again... Real Madrid vs. Atletico Madrid, Monaco vs. Juventus.

The Elusive 19th and Scott Jones like this.
  29. Arminius

Actually, I am very pleased that another all-Madrid final is ruled out.

30. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

i think Atletico have a good chance at beating Real, even if they'll be playing 11 vs. 12

I imagine Juve's quality and experience will be the end of the run for Monaco.