Champions League 2016/17

Discussion in 'European Football' started by Nikola, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Wouldn't mind an Atletico - Juve final, just to give two of these teams an opportunity to cap a successful era for them with a European title. But as we've seen last season, you can't count Real out on big occasions while they're in it... it seems like their last two European titles have made them very relaxed about this prospect (not surprising that they've admitted the league is a slight priority for them this season).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Hoping for that too. I would not want to see Real in the finals again. I don't think Monaco has it in them to take this Juve side apart, their defence is ridiculously tough.

eng.amohd and redfanman like this.
  3. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

They have made some odd buys though, several of the CBs they bought were quite injury prone before they went there werent they?

4. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Odd, sure. Vermaelan was permainjured and mattheau is rubbish.

redfanman likes this.
  5. westcoastbias79

westcoastbias79 Active Member

Agreed. But for the story, definitely not for the game.

1-0 a.e.t., Shots 4-2, Shots on Target 1-1. You dozed off: 58', 81'.

NYRhockey likes this.
  6. westcoastbias79

westcoastbias79 Active Member

Grandpa Carlo. You've got Douglas Costa, Kingsley Koemann, and Renato Sanches on the bench, and bajillion-time national player of the year David Alaba getting about 5-10 touches/game at LB. But no, let's run our attack through these old dudes.

redfanman and eng.amohd like this.
  7. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

But they did not dominate the CL. That was what I was talking about.

eng.amohd likes this.
  8. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

I am really glad we opted for Kloppo instead of Carlo. No lack of respect to Carlo, he is a great manager no doubt, but I believe Klopp is more forward thinking than him.

Livvy, redfanman and Maria like this.
  9. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

Two of the most cynical defensive solid sides in the game. It got tactical boring, low score written all over it, but hey two minus equal a plus so maybe we'll see goal galore. Real - Monaco would definitely be the most entertaining final, but I guess Juve will be too strong for Monaco in the end and you never know who'll win between the two Madrid sides.

redfanman likes this.
  10. Zoran

Navas, Carvajal, Varane, Ramos, Marcelo, Casemiro, Modric, Kroos, Isco, Ronaldo, Benzema

Oblak, Savic, Godin, Lucas, Luis, Saul, Gabi, Koke, Carrasco, Griezmann, Gameiro

11. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Slim chance for Atletico but I hope this is the year where they manage to break their Champions League curse. That said, I'm fully expecting a Real Madrid - Juventus final and Juventus' victory.

redfanman likes this.
  12. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

That felt like it was coming, Atletico started strongly but for the last 2 or 3 minutes Real were looking dangerous.

Also, kicking the ball into the floor like that tends to often lead to a chance, like when Prodl hit the bar last night. So hard to defend because of the trajectory.

13. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Atletico at least getting off the ropes. Simeone will probably avoid Barcelona-style hubris, and just focus on getting out of the Bernabeu with just one goal conceded.

14. lfc.eddie

Horrendous defending, reminds me of us in that goal....

15. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Juanfran is a big miss for Atletico, no width, no drive from the right flank. Modrić and Isco have been sublime so far. Also, Real Madrid's fullbacks - I think Guardiola, for example, would love to have them in his team. I can't remember a young defender progressing as quickly and as extensively, for lack of a better word, as Carvajal since he re-signed from Leverkusen.

16. lfc.eddie

Scoreline stays this way, Real is going to be in the finals again.

17. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

I still hope Atletico can somehow manage to score. Then they would have a good chance at home. But easier said then done... i know :-(

18. lfc.eddie

Real had just booked a spot in the finals with 2 Ronaldo goals.

19. Arminius

I don't think Atletico are afraid of playing for a goal at the Calderon, two goals is a different story

...and there is that second goal

20. lfc.eddie

This is like Chelsea met United. Both teams play counter attack, and one team let the other one attack, while wait to pounce on counter. Who flinch, lose....

Griezmann not doing too well in this game. Ineffective. £100m, really?

21. Arminius

At least this is not the Final.

22. lfc.eddie

Juve vs Real would be a real good match.... Juve is much more potent in their attacks.

And Ronaldo registered a hat trick..... it's over and out for Simeone.

23. Arminius

Stick a fork in them..

lfc.eddie likes this.
  24. lfc.eddie

Atletico was poor, very poor in the second half. I guess I underestimated Zidane as a manager.... fucker actually inspired the players to perform for him. Might get a double this time. I think Capello or Del Bosque was the last to ever held a double for Real after the rise of Barcelona.

25. Arminius

This massively helps their chances at a double, resting players so they can face Sevilla is no longer out of the question.

26. lfc.eddie

I know this won't happen, but I would like to see them failed to win both, like that season when Zidane got the winner against Leverkusen. That Leverkusen team with Ballack in there was so close, they finished second in the league, domestic cup and Champs League. Sight of Ronaldo crying will be priceless.

27. Strictly Armchair

Strictly Armchair Perspective and equilibrium

As much as I despise Real Madrid (I don't care much for their neighbours either it has to be said) they schooled Atletico in that one. You never know in the 2nd leg though, an early goal for Atletico and a red card for Sergio Ramos (stranger things have happened) and there might just be some life left in the tie.

One stat which jumped out at me during the match, Ronaldo has now scored 390 goals in 389 matches for Real (according to the commentator). He might have an ego the size of Iberia but you have to take your hat off to him for that sort of goalscoring record. If the lad plays his cards right he could be the next Andy Carroll.

28. Zoran

That was awful from Atletico, probably the worst I've seen them play under Simeone (or in games of this magnitude). Not compact and not dangerous, nothing. Griezmann still showed class though, in both ways. Real didn't have to be outstanding tonight.

29. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I wonder if they have just run out of steam and need some sort of overhaul?

30. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I have to say, I didn't think Zidane would last long as manager i the cut-throat world of Real Madrid, but he has proven me me wrong. Also, Ronaldo, I would say, he is hard worker to get where he is today. Athletico looked abit flat.

However, it will be interesting to see a Real Madrid v Juventus final, if Juventus get through. I couldn't predict that outcome, as both are exceptionally strong teams on their day.

Hope in your heart likes this.