Championship 2016/17

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by Zoran, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Strictly Armchair

Strictly Armchair Perspective and equilibrium

Watched the last 20 mins of the first half between Huddersfield and Wigan. Easy to detect the shared philosophy between Klopp and Wagner the way the Terriers have been playing. Their style is very easy on the eye and instantly recognisable. They have, unsurprisingly, been the dominant side but are susceptible to the counter attack due to the lack of pace in their defence. Wildschut for Wigan has taken great advantage of that issue, sprinting away down the right to set up the only goal so far for the visitors. Danny Ward had no chance of stopping the shot. For the Latics, 41 year-old Jussi Jääskeläinen is between the posts after Bogdan's ACL injury. Fair play to him.

Link below if anyone needs a Monday night footy fix.
    http://www.nowfeed2all.eu/watch/489617/3/watch-huddersfield-town-vs-wigan-athletic.html

2. WrinkledMind

WrinkledMind Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.

3. WrinkledMind

WrinkledMind Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.

Rafa's men were kinda lucky with the result. The injuries might cost them though, going forward, especially Gayle's.

4. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

I think Forest might be in real trouble soon. The fact that the US consortium had to advance funds during the takeover discussions is not a good sign, nor are the noises coming from their current owner. No manager, just above the relegation zone, unclear ownership status - and possibly a cash call if the US consortium walks away.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38679890

5. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

6. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Darlow is a werid one, such a good goalkeeper in general and one I would show the kids but also has stupidity in his game like seen there.

7. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Rovers sack Owen Coyle with them facing the threat of relegation to League One.

I can remember back when there was a fair amount of support for him become Liverpool manager.

8. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Plenty like him plying their trade.

Mind you sacking Coyle will do nothing unless the Venky's also disappear, he recouped 10m in the summer and they spent 250k, you can't achieve much like that, they have been an issue since they arrived mind, another ownership promising the world and delivering manure.

Zinedine Biscan and Arminius like this.
  9. Arminius

His career has gone badly off the rails, though I have to say he should have known better than to take the Blackburn job. It was the same mistake that he made taking the Bolton position and then the Wigan position, only worse. Expectations badly out of line with available resources in each case, but at least at Bolton and Wigan the supporters were not predisposed to hate him because of the owners. He pretty clearly had the Blackburn job in mind when he left Houston, probably because it sounded like an upgrade and a return to the European game, but he would have been far better off looking for somewhere lower profile and getting back to what made him a success at Burnley. I am hard pressed to think of a manager who has managed his own career so poorly - he might spend some time in the wilderness now.

10. Arminius

Tony Mowbray....life keeps getting better for Blackburn fans

11. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Indeed, what a sad place.

12. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

One of the nicest men in football....

13. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

We all here should start putting our CV up in there.... might get picked.

14. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

This is entirely by the by and the result of one of those mazy internet sessions where you start in one place and end up somewhere unexpected.

Anyway. I went from reading about the candidates for LCFC to seeing Rowett's name to remembering that he was sacked a bit harshly by Birmingham at a time they were doing quite well, and replaced with Zola. So I went to have a look at how they're doing in the Championship since changing managers.

The answer is... not so well. They sacked Rowett when they were 7th back in December, since when they've not won any of eight matches, gaining just 3 points from 24 and sinking down to 16th, 10 points off the relegation places.

Seems like a cautionary tale for trigger-happy owners right there.

redbj likes this.
  15. Arminius

Rowett was quietly working miracles, and the new owners rewarded him by replacing him with someone with an at best checkered record as a manager. All things being equal, with the ownership chaos and transfer freeze, Birmingham should be playing in League One this season. Had they backed him in January, I suspect he would have managed to steer them into the playoffs.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  16. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Apparently the performances were far worse than the results. I think they are now getting the results to match the performances.

17. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Newcastle going back to the top of the league, thoroughly deserved win and the travelling Geordies have been singing Rafa's name all evening. Shelvey looked a cut above everyone else as well (not as good as Gerrard though...).

Billy Biskix and lfc.eddie like this.
  18. Dave-D

Dave-D Well-Known Member

Brighton seemed to be feeling the pressure even when 1-0 up, they constantly gave possession straight back to Newcastle and all the second half chances went to Newcastle.

19. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

Which reminds me of a story I once read.....

20. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Nonsense.... he's better....

21. Billy Biskix

Billy Biskix TIA Youth Team Valued Member

Shelvey looks like Zidane at this level. Miles too good for the Championship.

Another big win yesterday for Newcastle. Classic Rafa counter attack set up against Huddersfield. Just 24% possession. Won 3-1. Five points clear at the top now and 11 points clear of 3rd. Practically promoted.

22. 1dragon

1dragon TIA Regular

The narrative over at Newcastle seems to be similar to ours: Perform well against the big guns, but struggle against the relegation or mid-table sides. It does not help that Rafa's side seem to be reliant on Shelvey and Gayle to perform. Take away Gayle's pace upfront and they seem abit predictable. Disrupt Shelvey's influence and they cannot seem to break sides down.

I think while promotion looks more or less secure, winning the Championship may not be so, as Newcastle may slip up against the lower sides. Reading up next though, which could be another tough fixture to navigate.

23. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Talk about tough to please. 5 points clear of second, a whole 11 clear of third heading into the final quarter of fixtures... :?:

24. Arminius

Brighton losing takes quite a bit of pressure off. Nothing certain yet, of course

25. 1dragon

1dragon TIA Regular

Nah, not tough to please. Promotion is more or less certain. But winning the championship is by no means nailed on yet. Just being cautious after seeing how we imploded in January! ;-)

26. El Dorado

El Dorado Well-Known Member

Bit of a pity that Newcastle may wave to Sunderland and Boro as these teams change leagues in the late spring. Then they'll have no derbies next season (again). Or am I missing something? Are there any other matches that Newcastle would consider a derby?

27. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Just watched the highlights of the Newcastle game - Ward had a bit of a howler on the second and was taken off at half time. The replacement keeper was worse though.

28. Billy Biskix

Billy Biskix TIA Youth Team Valued Member

More a case of them being better away from home than at St James. Won 13 of 18 away games. Watched them a few times this season. You're right about Shelvey. When he was suspended they were poor. A tough watch.

They are typically 'Rafa-esque' away from home. Hard to break down when they get in front. Rafa hasn't changed much. Still rotating like crazy and doing that irritating thing of getting them to sit back to hang on to a lead rather than kill teams off. That used to drive me mad when he was at Liverpool. Still, it's been effective. It's a tough league and they are coming good at the right time. The Geordies love Rafa, obviously.

cardiffpete and 1dragon like this.
  29. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

Absolutely ...and just very classic Rafa stuff here of just very much sit back away from home - and then dare (or just bluff) the opponent to come at you. The opponent could always just deploy a double-bluff scenario here and instead also sit-back too ...but most home teams would not ever dare to go there aka it would really disappoint their own home fans. Rafa had maybe 5 defining away games of late (last one is tomorrow vs Reading here) aka Wolves 0-1 win, Norwich 2-2 draw, Brighton 0-1, Huddersfield 1-3 (on only 24% possession too) and now and tomorrow and Jaap Stam's Reading.

If this final away hurdle is now also accomplished, I'd expect Rafa's team to promote as both Champions plus also with the maybe coveted 100 points too. Plus, Rafa is also almost always playing them in a very strict and often ultra-defensive style of some better counter-attack stuff, which will surely help them transition to the massively tougher EPL stuff too. No point in coming-up by playing all-guns blazing and only then discovering the shock-horror stuff of matchday EPL stuff.

If you promote by mostly playing counter-attack and a boa-constrictor type defense, then that is surely a good way to proceed in EPL too thereafter.

30. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

He doesn't have a lot of options to rotate though, wanted signings in January but the club wouldn't allow, he was clearly disappointed in an interview shortly after the window closed. He keeps more or less the same core and then shuffles a bit up front, needed to do so I guess while Gayle was out, using different qualities for different games and giving players a chance to catch some form. It seemed like a proper counter attacking win the other day, a bit different to what they tried to do mostly (possession but then problems with opposition's counter attacks and set pieces, not convincing from both Sels or Darlow) from what I could see. More and more looks like they will go up, probably win the league, but the work doesn't stop there, he will have to improve that team next summer.