Championship 2016/17

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by Zoran, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Watched highlights in better quality, seems like Ritchie managed a terrible dive for the first goal/penalty.

2. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

McLaren sacked by Derby. Again.

Third time's the charm?

3. Zoran

I thought Derby were this modern Championship club making all the right decisions and going in the right direction... yet it's not only that they can't get promoted, but they keep changing managers.

4. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Interesting developments at the weekend, this could get quite tight if Huddersfield win their game in hand.I do want to see a proper Yorkshire club back in the PL, that area of the country has been lacking representation for some time which is sad. Might get two at this rate.

5. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

McLaren's flirtation with Toon, thus making a mess of what should have been a promotion campaign, has probably defined the rehabilitation of his career. Had he focused and managed Derby to promotion, his subsequent failure at Newcastle would be less damning. Derby basically gave him a do-over and discovered the same weaknesses. From here, I think he starts showing up in the mix no higher than for clubs fighting to stay in the Championship.

Scott Jones likes this.
  6. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I dunno... the journeyman league which he is one of usually churn this lot again, he will back at a upper mid table club come August.

7. Arminius

Looks like Rowett is going to Derby. I think Derby has made a complete mess of the last few years, that was a side that was positioned for promotion. Then they ditched Clement, and went back to McLaren with predictably poor results after the first few months. But this strikes me as a good appointment, Rowett has never had that much to work with before.

redfanman and RaoulDuke like this.
  8. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

Can't believe McClaren is gone after 5 months again.
    I also don't understand why his successor was sacked by birmingham city last december.

redfanman likes this.
  9. Arminius

I would guess his successor's successor is on borrowed time. When Zola took over, they were 8th, 1 point out of a playoff spot. Since then, they are 2-4-10, only Rotherham is worse over that interval. They are now 6 points above the relegation spots, 17 out of the last playoff spot. At the rate they are accumulating points now, they will end the season with around 49 points, so they are probably safe, but they are probably going to finish around 19th.

RaoulDuke and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  10. Zinedine Biscan

I noted in the comments on the Guardian piece on Rowett's appointment at Derby, people were saying what annoyed Birmingham was GR pimping himself out to other clubs after they'd backed him, so it was less dissatisfaction and more that they were aggrieved with his conduct.

It still doesn't excuse hiring Zola, though.

11. Craigy_Boy_92

Craigy_Boy_92 Member

Newcastle & Brighton look 100% promoted. About time too for Brighton!

I think Huddersfield, Leeds & Reading are fixed in for the playoffs. Sheff Wed, Fulham, Norwich & Preston will battle for the last spot. Sheff Wed will probably just get over the line.

Hard to choose between that 4 that i would love to see back up. Maybe Leeds or Sheff Wed.

12. Craigy_Boy_92

Craigy_Boy_92 Member

Birmingham are only 5pts above relegation spots. Weren't they 1pt behind the playoffs when Rowett was in charge? Crazy to sack him. Would be hilarious if they got relegated.

13. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

Jonjo almost scored from behind the half way line there. Unreal attempt.

14. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

It's also a bit unreal how Rafa turned our former reject into a top top player (at least in the championship).
    I don't really follow that league (except watching some wolves or derby games from time to time), but Rafa seems still do be doing a fantastic job.
    He turned many young lads like isaac hayes, lascelles or even karl darlow into solid first team players.
    Great achievement.

15. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

The race for the title is exciting, I think both are sure fire for the PL, so nice to see a new team up, hopefully Huddersfield follow them up.

I actually wouldn't be that much against Leeds even though like Wednesday their fans aren't great.

16. Arminius

It would be worth it so they could come to Anfield needing a point to survive and get relegated.

mattyhurst and redfanman like this.
  17. Strictly Armchair

Strictly Armchair Perspective and equilibrium

So Zola has resigned as Birmingham City manager with a record of 2 wins in 24 since he took over from the sacked Gary Rowett. I'm of the opinion that Zola has taken a bit of a coward's way out here. Why resign three matches from the end of the season? Why not stick it out to the bitter end? Could it be due to the fact that the remaining three fixtures are Aston Villa away (big local rivals who will love nothing better than to stick one on them at the weekend), Huddersfield at home (still potentially hunting down Newcastle for the 2nd automatic promotion spot) and Bristol City away (could end up being a relegation shoot out on the final day).
    I recall the club statement at the time saying that they were looking to go in a different direction. From just outside the play-off places to just outside the relegation zone in four months. They may just be about to achieve their goal, albeit in a way they probably didn't envisage back in December. Serves their board right. Zola's previous managerial record didn't exactly scream out that here was a man capable of delivering an effective promotion challenge.

If Brum manage to avoid the drop I hope it's at Blackburn's expense. Another club with barmpots for owners.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  18. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "┬┐Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Birmingham was bought as a vehicle for their previous owners to flip in the Hang Seng Exchange in HK. Their main purpose is to make money because the PE returns from that market was and still is ridiculously high, and very active as well. So their idea is to list it in the exchange, take back the money they invested with some profit of course, then whenever money is needed to push the club they will use the rights issue or private placement. Didn't work out too well and last year someone took over, not revealed who it was and who actually owns the vehicle that bought the club over. I suspect it's the same owners with lots of proxies.

Blackburn's owners on the other hand is puzzling. Venky didn't use the club to make money, they aren't exactly a big football fan either and they are not loaded with silly money too. They are hanging on to the club while letting the club bleed because they have no more means to invest, and they are not willing to take a haircut sale due to ego. Sad case. I hope someone in the FA steps in and resolve this matter for the sake of their fans.

redfanman likes this.
  19. Zinedine Biscan

Zola resigns then.... so that worked out well for them.

redfanman likes this.
  20. Zinedine Biscan

Now they've appointed 'Arry lol

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39628280

Fair enough, he might be just what they need to raise morale for the last few games and stave off relegation. It does feel a bit like their recruitment process involves a dartboard and a who's who of the 1990s judging by recent appointments, however...

Strictly Armchair and lfc.eddie like this.
  21. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

So the Brighton keeper has scored two own goals...

This txt on the BBC tickled me fancy...

If Stockdale scores another own goal does he keep the match ball?

Now that is a bad night at the office.

inaiq, Livvy and Scott Jones like this.
  22. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Apparently, a Brighton player blazed over a freekick and the Norwich fans were signing "Stockdale would have scored that!)

Earlier in the season a player scored I think two own goals and was sent off in a game - he may have recieved a player of the month award a few days before.

SBYM likes this.
  23. Zoran

To be fair, I remember him as a decent goalkeeper from his days at Fulham.

redfanman likes this.
  24. Arminius

I don't think those should be counted as own goals at all, they are not a mistake in any sense - a keeper has to dive to cover those angles, and both times he gets hit by the carom off the woodwork while he is diving.

The Elusive 19th likes this.
  25. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

still is. I'm surprised he has been playing in the championship.

26. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

They were really unlucky, as a goalie you'd be unlucky for that to happen once every 5 or 6 seasons.

That happened twice in a game.

redfanman likes this.
  27. Zoran

La Bamba is on at St. James', congratulations to everyone up there. It was an opporunity missed for Rafa to win a league/campaign (still possible but unlikely?), but anyway, mission completed tonight.

FGred likes this.
  28. Billy Biskix

Billy Biskix TIA Youth Team Valued Member

Doubt they'll win the title now but job done in getting automatic promotion. They were the team that every other team wanted to beat. 46 games is a hard slog. Wonder what Rafa really made of it all.

They were going up weeks ago but their form crashed and they've crawled over the line. Complacency maybe but I also suspect that a lot of the players might have known they wouldn't be around next season when they were back in the PL and that might have had an impact on motivation. If Rafa stays he will definitely be having a major clear out. Some decent players in there, Ritchie, Shelvey, Gayle for example but a whole load of very average ones too.

FGred likes this.
  29. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

It's a really hard league to get out, just ask Wednesday, Leeds, Villa and so on.

I think you'd rather be a Newcastle fan than Norwich or Villa who will spend another season at that level. I'm sure they will be fine on their return.

redfanman likes this.
  30. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

Bolton are back!

Remember back in 04 or something...weren't they top 4 in the PL for a good deal of the season??