Championship 2016/17

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by Zoran, Aug 5, 2016.

1. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

FGred likes this.
  2. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Why are liverpool fans so scared of having 3 choices at the keeper position? Not meaning to pick on just you but if we've got a situation next season with us hoping Mignolet continues this form (personally don't see it lasting forever) and Ward and Karius competing to be second choice and future first choice I have no problem with that. You need three goalkeepers for Europe. Until Manninger this season we haven't really had 3 since Doni (but always used to) and probably have to go back that far or further to last time we had a decent back up or two. Be nice entering a season knowing we have, at least for the short term, got that position covered well.

3. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

Why not keep Manninger here with Mignolet and Karius and allow Ward to develop further in the PL....

4. Anfield rd Dreamer

Because Ward is better than Manninger and could well develop under Klopp to be as good or better than Mignolet is at the moment. Mignolet who may not keep his current good form and revert to previous form. Manninger is also pretty sure to retire if not this summer then still sooner rather than later. Why limit ourselves to only two real keeper choices? Why have liverpool fans started to accept this as reality? We always used to have three I don't know when 2 became the norm for us as it's not for anyone else near the top.

5. Anfield rd Dreamer

Chelsea have a 34 year old 2nd choice who has been on the bench 6 times. City have a 21 year old who has been on the bench 7 times (and Joe Hart who played a game if you want to include him). Arsenal have a 24 year old 3rd choice that's played 5 games and been on the bench 8 other times. Spurs have a 22 year old that's been on the bench 10 times. United have two 20 year olds and a 24 year old who have between them played once and been on bench 6 times. I still remember last time we had three options Reina got sent off and then Doni got sent off and then Jones had to play for us. These guys are needed for when the shit hits the fan especially when competing in Europe.

6. redfanman

Not afraid of having 3 choices. I'm just concerned that we have two young and potentially excellent keepers who may spend the season not playing. Otherwise I'm excited to have them here.

inaiq and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  7. Anfield rd Dreamer

I'd say both are as developed as they'll get playing elsewhere. Unless a team abroad that plays and competes in Europe are willing to take them on loan I guess. Apart from that they've played regular first choice keeper at high enough level of competition to get where they need to be. Now it's just about proving themselves in training and cup games and seizing any opportunities that come their way (Mignolet losing form/getting suspended/injured). That's what's needed next in their development, to see if they can adapt to playing at this level. No point loaning them out to teams below this level as it won't teach them anything new. I'd say competing for automatic promotion and in the playoffs is more of a baptism of fire than just existing in mid table Prem or even competing in the relegation battle. Learning how to play for a team under the cosh for 80 minutes of nearly every game doesn't teach a keeper how to compete in a team that's challenging for something and putting teams under the cosh for 80 minutes of most games. We saw that with Mignolet. Just my opinion but I'd see Ward as more ready for us than say Pickford who has never had to stand there keeping his concentration levels up with nothing to do for the majority of a match.

inaiq likes this.
  8. El Dorado

El Dorado Well-Known Member

Well done, Rafa. Newcastle bounce back up in style with a world class manager.

9. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Monk has resigned from Leeds United. Possible he has another job lined up... Palace?

redfanman likes this.
  10. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Seems plausible - a bit odd that he would stick around to the last day of the Cellino madhouse, then leave. But with the new owner having been in the mix since January, perhaps Monk saw it as out of the frying pan.

11. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Leeds fans seemed very pleased with him. Not quite Newcastle fans with Rafa but he seemed to unite the club and bring the best out of players. Maybe Middlesbrough will go after him?

redfanman likes this.
  12. redfanman

I would think a prem job has been offered?

13. redfanman

I thought palace were in for the guy at Hull?

14. Arminius

Lots of rumours that he is in discussions with Porto.

redfanman likes this.
  15. Arminius

Only watching the text feed, but the Championship playoff sounds tense.

16. won it at-a-turk stadium

won it at-a-turk stadium TIA Regular

This 90 minutes has not been an advertisement for Premier League football.

Wyld@Heart likes this.
  17. Arminius

Going to penalties - another big moment for Ward.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  18. won it at-a-turk stadium

Huddersfield promoted YASSSSSS Danny Ward hero again

Stay down Jaap Stam :-)

19. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

Wish they'd stop banging on about the money involved in this game.

Great moment for Ward saving that last Reading kick. And it's nice to see a different name in the top league next year.

20. Arminius

I think that might make him a Huddersfield legend. We can probably expect a query on how much.

redfanman likes this.
  21. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Nice, maybe it would be best for Ward to get another season on loan, but this time in the PL.

El Dorado likes this.
  22. Krimson

Krimson • Supermané •

Congrats to Danny Ward! Looking forward to seeing how Huddersfield get on next season. Hopefully Ward stays out on load for some valuable experience.

23. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

Congrats Huddersfield, Wagner and Ward. Surely one more season loan. Maybe we can ask for 2m.

24. Arminius

One of the reasons other than Ward and Wagner that I was glad to see Huddersfield promoted was just how dull Reading were as a PL team. Not a club it is easy to dislike, but they were just so bland last time around.

norwegian wood and redfanman like this.
  25. won it at-a-turk stadium

You watching the Pulis commentary? Man his commentary is dull as his football tactics

26. El Dorado

El Dorado Well-Known Member

Their supporters must be stoked. I read its their first stint up since the early 1970s. Congrats, HT and Danny Ward.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  27. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Always liked their stadium, it's a small one of course, but it's good looking and a bit unusual for English design.

28. redfanman

Wonder if Ian Ayre will be back to visit for our matches against Huddersfield, isnt that where he worked before coming to Liverpool?

Scott Jones and lfc.eddie like this.
  29. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Yes, before he left for Asia to manage Total Sports, then hired by Liverpool as their commercial guy. He didn't do too well there....

redfanman and Scott Jones like this.
  30. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

Awesome job by Huddersfield. Don't know anything about them really, but any team that is coached by a close friend of Klopp i will root for.