Christian Benteke (CF, allegedly) Crystal Palace, West Ham

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by ubermick, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Bit surprised none of the usual Rumour Mill residents have opened this one up, but since that's not happened, am delighted to do so. Reported in the Times, picked up by the Echo, and now cheerfully spreading like wildfire, that Benteke is Conte's second choice signing if they decide to not spend the squintillion pounds that Everton wants for Lukaku:

Chelsea may switch sights to Benteke
    Chelsea are pursuing Christian Benteke as an alternative signing should they fail to bring Romelu Lukaku back to Stamford Bridge this summer.

(Rest is behind a paywall)

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/article4750680.ece

And from the Echo...

Christian Benteke's Liverpool future remains up in the air, and The Times are suggesting the Belgian could join Chelsea - and not as merely back-up.

According to the report, Antonio Conte wants to take the Reds striker to Stamford Bridge and partner him alongside Diego Costa.

Benteke struggled to establish himself towards the end of Jurgen Klopp's first season in charge, with West Ham also interested in the 25-year-old.

Despite that, the Times are of the belief any move to Conte's Chelsea would be as first-choice.

Meanwhile, the big man himself is happy to stay as long as he's picked to start. Which he won't be:

“At 25 years old, I’m neither old nor young but it’s important to play,” he said while with Belgium ahead of Euro 2016. I still have a contract at Liverpool and I’d like to stay there, if I remain in the coach’s plans. If that’s not the case, it will become difficult to stay. I’ll think about if after the Euros. When he [Klopp] arrived I saw that I wasn’t in his plans. That was frustrating because I knew that during my first season at Aston Villa he wanted me. But we had several discussions together, I respect and I understand his decisions.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ool-future-jurgen-klopp-plans-after-euro-2016

2. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

" I’m neither old nor young"

For a striker he's quite philosophical really. Bit of a shame he and Mario "why always me" Balotelli haven't played much together, they've got more in common than I realised.

Chelsea can stump up the thirty million quid or we can exercise our right to flog off to Hammers/Turkey/China.

3. Seamus

Seamus Active Member

I can't see how he will be part of the managers plans next season. Therefore, if a good bid came in for him I reckon the club will sell without hesitation.

4. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

He'd be great at West Ham with the likes of Payet, Feghouli, Cresswell etc. Be a bit hesitant about us sending him there.

RD89 likes this.
  5. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Going by rumours they're in the market to spend big on a striker this summer. If not Benteke then it will probably be on someone better in any case. I don't really have a problem with it, tbh. He just really ain't that good.

redfanman likes this.
  6. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Chelsea are mad, I'm far from impressed with their rumours (in and out) in last weeks.

7. Koon

Koon New Member

We should sell this lad, even if we lose money. £20m+ and I'm good.

8. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

No way should we take a loss on him. If we dont recover AT LEAST our outlay then I say keep him

redalways likes this.
  9. teto_pp

teto_pp Active Member

Wouldn't sell him to a premier league club unlesd we talk crazy money. He is a very good striker under the right circumstance can be a 15-20 goals a season striker.

To much of a risk selling him to our direct competition next year.

redalways and OLDIE like this.
  10. DanLFC

DanLFC Strafing ground targets

Would happily take 30 mil from Chelsea for Benteke, recover our outlay and move on a player who is unlikely to have a massive impact for them. TBH I would be more worried about his impact going to a club like West Ham or West Brom where they would genuinely play to his strengths and he would probably bang in goals left and right.

In a perfect world I'd sell him outside the Premier League and would even take a bit of a hit on the fee to do so. In the end he needs to move on, he had the opportunity to fit himself into the side last season and he couldn't do it then, no reason to think he will do so this season. Time to cut our losses.

Really need to be ruthless this summer with the reduced games this season we can have a smaller squad so the opportunity is there to really trim the fat from the squad and give Klopp as much money to work with to really shape the squad as he wants.

11. Vidocq

Vidocq from doubter to believer

hope the rumours are true

12. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Tall lad,surprised Pulis isn't after him.

13. northjet

northjet TIA Reserve Team

I can't see him ending up at Chelsea to be honest. I doubt, given their war-chest of funds available, they would be priced out of Lukaku if they want him back. And of course, there is always Higuain for them to chase. I have a feeling Benteke could end up at Juventus if they sell Morata. I think he'd suit their style.

14. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

If Pulis has the money, he might. Problem is even though WBA has more revenue this coming year, they may not want to splash £25m for one striker, besides they have Rondon already, a cheaper version of Benteke.

inaiq and redfanman like this.
  15. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Christian is even young.
    Ayre can make the price for him higher.

16. AllinOne Sports

AllinOne Sports Member

I reckon Benteke will fetch about 20-25m..hard to get much more after such a rotten season

17. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid

Beraido (sp.?) is probably on his way out of WBA this summer, so Pulis will have funds if he did want to splash out on Benteke.

18. Seamus

Seamus Active Member

Good shout but I'd wonder about them being willing and able to pay him his wages. I think he's on big money here so it might be a bit rich for them.

19. AllinOne Sports

AllinOne Sports Member

Berahido is probably not gonna bring in more than 10-15m at this point though. His value has plummeted after never playing and when he did, not being that effective. WBA really messed up that transfer, they should have sold him a year ago and gotten 25m from Spurs cause now they'll be lucky to get half that.

20. Zinedine Biscan

Getting closer. It's Berahino.

rab, vjcpatriot, inaiq and 2 others like this.
  21. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Juventus apparently interested in him now. (As if!)

Elsewhere, reports in Italy suggest Christian Benteke is wanted by Juventus, who are willing to bid £19m to take him to Serie A.

The Belgian striker has been linked with a move to Chelsea in recent days but it is Antonio Conte's old club who lead the race, according to Gazzetta dello Sport.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...verpool-transfer-rumours-boufal-blow-11492818

The overall rumours seem to involve "(Insert Team Name) are trying to get Lukaku, but if they fail they'll turn their attention to Christian Benteke" Either way, the ubermickmobile is fueled and ready to take him to John Lennon if need be. I'd have to somehow get it 6,000 miles east, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

inaiq and redfanman like this.
  22. Tehsmithy

Tehsmithy New Member

Its was clear to most of us that he wouldn't fit in just based on recent signings of the type of player he is Lambert,Carroll,Crouch,Balotelli they are similar players and some might have tried a bit hard in games and for the team but they didn't really fit into the Liverpool way, Benteke has been given chances and i've watched him at Anfield and i can see why people do hate him but i will say he hasn't really had a great service provided to him, Liverpool don't tend to cross the ball that much they are about quick passes, running go to or running in behind the defenders and using pace, Liverpool are also terrible when it comes to set pieces every corner is aimed for the first man and every freekick is high and wide or just hits the wall, Benteke needs service and he hasn't gotten good enough service at the club, i think its right for him to go and id prefer him to go because i think we need a striker upgrade.

23. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Crouch was head and shoulders (literally and figuratively) above those players. He was good for us, just blighted by a very slow start.

Had he stayed another year we'd probably have won the league.

inaiq, redfanman and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  24. Zinedine Biscan

Perhaps not coincidentally, he was always far more comfortable with the ball at his feet than in the air.

My dad met Crouchinho shortly after he left us, said he regretted leaving and would have liked to have stayed longer. Seemed like a nice chap.

inaiq likes this.
  25. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

Have always liked crouch. Didn't want us to sell him at the time but understood the reasoning behind it and as well crouch needed to be playing regularly to keep his England place

inaiq likes this.
  26. Total Desaster

Total Desaster New Member

That's not how LFC ought to go about the business of wining the title.

Competition? Fine, we got our defence. I'm fully aware of what that sounds like given the 15/16, but that simply must change, and I believe we're on the right track here.

It wouldn't do anybody no good to keep him as well. I don't think he can expect many minutes the next season, and I think his value would fall after it. And wages paid would essentially go towards a showing or two in cups. Maybe it would be best to sell if there are takers in the +20 mil range.

27. Tehsmithy

Tehsmithy New Member

I loved having Crouch at our club he was great and always gave it his best, i always felt like he was sold way to soon just like Robbie Keane

28. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

Keane was never right for us and wasn't a rafa buy

inaiq likes this.
  29. Tehsmithy

Tehsmithy New Member

But to me he was always a player i wanted at LFC because he was fantastic everywhere else and then we got him and it just went wrong for him and us :-(

30. northjet

northjet TIA Reserve Team

I always thought that leaving Crouch out cost us the 2007 CL final. He would have worried Milan.

schmee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.