Christian Pulisic (AM) Borussia Dortmund

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Kopstar, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

Imo the problem is not the kid, nor his abilities but the media (mainly American) overhyping him - see that Vice-Video that was posted (which was nevertheless interesting) or the countless other articles basically describing him as the best thing in football ever, "spectacular rise" and all that...He's a good player, who made it into Dortmund's team at a very young age, had some good performances and looks like a very promising talent and I can see why Klopp might like him. Maybe he really does turn out to be a superstar player, but right now he's just one of a number of very promising young talents...Still, not the player's fault, imo...

2. pottymonster

pottymonster I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

For some reason when I saw this thread this morning I thought it said 'Christian Poulsen' and was at 10 pages. I immediately clicked the thread to add my rage to the queue only to realize it was the Pulisic thread.

Time to go get my coffee.

koptician, geebo, RobLFC and 2 others like this.
  3. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

lol

4. gr_sounder

gr_sounder The Lurking One

He may indeed be an overhyped youngster... there are a lot of them in the world.

That said, he's an 18 year old who is making significant contributions to a top quality german team.
    Even if he's overhyped (and I'm not saying he is)... he is probably better than any 18 year old we currently have on our books.

5. gr_sounder

This is exactly on point.

I hate the USA's insistence on finding the first USA world talent. We've done it now with player after player.
    Other than our keepers (I still rate Friedel the highest), the USA Soccer bandwagon wants a star. They've tried Claudio Reyna, DaMarcus Beasley, Landon Donovan, Freddy Adu, Michael Bradley, Benny Feilhaber, Jozy Altidore, Jovan Kirovski, etc. Granted for my money the best non-goalie players the USA has ever produced are Brian McBride (the consumate professional who made his teammates better) and Tab Ramos (career cut short by Brazil's Leonardo).

So now they are doing it with Christian Pulisic. This isn't the fault of the player, nor is it the fault of Dortmund or Liverpool... but USA Soccer as they try to forge a new identify after the retirement of Donovan (who was a very good player but not a superstar).

Personally I think Pulisic has the skills and mental game to become a top-notch player, but only time will tell. One thing for sure though, time is on his side as he's currently doing things that many hope to be doing by the time they are 22.

lfc.eddie and Cologne-Liverpool like this.
  6. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

With respect, no one outside America ever rated them players anywhere as highly as the American people did, they just wasn't very good. Adu was highly rated due to his rise at such a young age but the rest were always decent at best. Pulisic is in a completely different league to these players in terms of potential and the fact he's already performing at a young age in a strong league is something pretty new for American football

gr_sounder and redfanman like this.
  7. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

The English do the same with their youngsters. Maybe worse. Any time an 18 yr old plays a couple decent games for a top sixish side the media go crazy calling him to be in England squad. Recent memory it's the forward at Manchester, and some kid at Villa (OK... Maybe doesn't have to be top sixish) last year who was then smeared by media for showing up drunk in some online pictures.

Now some will say that's only because there are a lack of quality English players and that's why the media always clamors for something new... And since the US is chalk full of world beaters it must be totally different... lol

And in fairness to the American players you listed, they are the best the US has ever produced, and do very well in MLS despite the MLS's reputation, and almost all of those players dragged US national team to punch above its weight at world cups (minus Adu... Media and a huge Nike contact at 14 ruined him, or maybe he was never gonna be any good). So... That's my way of saying those players lived up to the hype given to them by the States. They may not have rose to the top of European leagues, but that doesn't matter to most casual soccer fans in the States. They are hungry to see one do it... And pulisic certainly looks the part so far. But this is my long way of saying it's no different to the English media hyping young English talent that breaks through at top teams... It just grates people more that the largely 'ignorant' American media are involved with American players instead of the upstanding journalistic rags dedicated to sport in England. Maybe overstated a little, but I don't think by much.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  8. Mark Thurgood

Mark Thurgood is tired of this "new member" tag

I cannot disagree with you, Adu was made to be a VERY exciting young kid coming out of the US, the others were ALLEGEDLY fantastic players with bright and prosperous futures ahead of them.....for me they are/were mediocrity or less.
    Anyway, I think a few may agree on this (Pulisic) kid who must be something quite special if Dortmund have him and he's contracted for a while, then it's general common sense that he's more than half decent, if he can get games at Dortmund, he played against us last year comingon as a sub (I think) in the away game, anyway if Dortmund have him and don't wish to sell him he's got to be good, I haven't seen him play.

9. gr_sounder

Agree with you completely. It wasn't my intent to claim that those players were "the next best thing in world football"... just showing the pattern of the US Soccer Media trying to hype players as being the next best thing in world football.

The closest thing the USA had was with Jovan Kirovski who was a youth at ManU and when even Fergie couldn't get him a work permit, he moved to Dortmund and won a Champions League medal while contributing for Dortmund. He however was a good but limited player who never took a "next step"... but it was a nice story.

Pulisic is something different, and its evident in the way he plays. But even he could become "just another pro" (god I wish I had become "just another pro" lol)

10. gr_sounder

And this is well said too. Sorry I wasn't meaning to derail this thread related to hype and the USA media.... there are plenty of other ways to derail this thread ;-) Yes these are some of the best the USA has produced and it's understandable they get hyped so much... because we want to sell the sport in this country. But I think sometimes it hurts more than it helps and many of them are the best we have produced. They are good professional players, and could play in top leagues around the world... maybe not feature for the best of those teams, but they could hold their own. They aren't world class, but then again not many are and there is absolutely no shame in that... I would have loved that.

Bringing it back to Christian... barring injury (knock on wood) he will have a very good career... at what peak level... we will have to see but I like the potential.

jgw_geneseo likes this.
  11. fernandowho

fernandowho TIA New Signing

you forgot John Harkes....just saying!

12. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

Dempsey? Surely he figures

13. gr_sounder

lol, yes and Dempsey as redbj pointed out.
    Trust me I couldn't give an exhaustive list of everyone US Soccer has hyped.

14. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Harkes was arguably the most successful American player in England though. Dempsey and McBride, and a host of keepers, all have decent shouts, but Harkes was a pivotal player on a team that finished in what would be the Champions League spots today. There have been Americans who individually have done more, and for longer, but I dont think anyone has ever held down a spot in a better, more succesful team

gr_sounder and redfanman like this.
  15. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

Who did john Harkes play for?

16. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Only remember Derby County....

17. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Sheffield Wednesday

18. jgw_geneseo

Harkes was the first well known American to really make a go of a career in England about the same time interest in soccer started to permeate on a national level (world cup in '94, and the formation of MLS)...but he was certainly not starting and playing for a team that would qualify for a champions league place. Not sure he was even a premier league player. Played for Wednesday and Derby, as stated above. Not sure if it overlapped with the time period Derby was in the premier league or not. Would not have him down as one of our best...maybe as a trailblazer in terms of trying to make a go of a career overseas.

All other American players around the '94 world cup came out of the amateur college ranks and trained with the US national team full time (without a professional club or contract) or were kids born overseas to military fathers/immigrants kind of thing. We had a few European players, but they were born and based in Europe, Harkes was first college player with an American accent in the national consciousness to try a career overseas. Ernie Stewart played and came from Holland I think, Thomas Dooley played and came from Germany, maybe their were other players playing professionally around Europe, but not sure how many. After world cup in '94, MLS formed and many of them played in the league as pros for the first time or got contracts for the first time with European clubs (Lallas got a chance in Italy I believe, I'm sure others did as well).

But not sure how any of this is relevant to Pulisic.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    gr_sounder likes this.
  19. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Wednesday finished third in his second season at the club.

redfanman likes this.
  20. jgw_geneseo

Well, you'll have to excuse me as I eat my humble pie.

Mascot88 and redfanman like this.
  21. gr_sounder

Ok, all, Trust me I am enjoying this trip down memory lane with players I grew up with (and sometimes playing against in NJ) but we should probably get back to Pulisic. All this came from my comment that USA Soccer does overhype their players... and I guess all nations and federations do to some point.

(And yes Lalas got his chance with Padua/Padova)

22. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Then again that barely got you into Europe back then.

23. koptician

koptician We'll go again!

Flashbacks! Post Traumatic Stress Disorder!!

inaiq, pottymonster and redfanman like this.
  24. NJLFCJake

NJLFCJake Active Member

25. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Extension itself not too much of a problem, deal will only be 3 years come the summer in any case. Though I do generally have the feeling he's quite happy where he is and Dortmund are quite prepared to turn down massive offers for him.

redfanman likes this.
  26. Eggmundo

Eggmundo If you fail to plan, You plan to fail !

27. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Does the extension have a release clause in there perhaps?

Etipafilaf and lfc.eddie like this.
  28. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Wishful thinking Klopp needs to move to Plan B and should have done at the beginning of Jan

Anyone know who plan B is

29. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Nope- But I'm pretty sure Klopp and the TC does. I wouldn't rule out Pulisic just yet either just because he has signed a contract extension but I'm 100% comfortable with the notion that Klopp & co know the reality of signing Pulisic in the summer or if not, who to go for instead.

redfanman and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  30. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Hahaha

I dont think they knew the true reality of signing Pulsic this summer until about an hour ago