Copa Centenario 2016

Discussion in 'World Football' started by RedCanuck099, Jun 1, 2016.

?

Who will win it?

1. Brazil

2. Argentina

3. Uruguay

4. Chile

5. Colombia

6. USA

7. Mexico

8. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rushies 'Stache

Rushies 'Stache Well-Known Member

Watched just about every minute so far and really enjoyed the passion the players play with, maybe Europeans are just too reserved and don't express themselves enough (unless you include Shrek gobbing off at ref constantly). Maybe it's also as no vested interest in seeing a particular team win the tournament being English. Hoping the Euros and England can match the passion and excitement although when it comes to England I shall not be holding my breath.
    Want to see Brazil respond to a drab opening game and more of Gabriel, he has potential to be break out star of the Copa America come on Klopp lets get another Brazilian!!

inaiq likes this.
  2. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

Brazil v Haiti (5 - 0)
    This should be a high scoring game for Brazil, if they can keep it together unlike the last world cup.
    Ecuador v Peru (2 - 1)
    I feel that Ecuador is a stronger side and they must feel confident after their first game performance

3. SoftGerman

SoftGerman Well-Known Member

I am going to watch Brazil vs. Haiti tonight, as the kick-off time is still "okay".
    I really would have liked to watch Argentina vs. Chile, as I love the Chilean National team, even bought myself a jersey of team for training 4 years ago, but it was just too late in the night.

4. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

One thing I hate about this tournament is the prices. The attendance for the Costa Rica vs Paraguay game in Orlando the other night was pathetic so I looked into tickets for the Brazil game tonight - tons available but starting around $100

5. RedCanuck099

RedCanuck099 Well-Known Member

Coutinho's a one man show againt haiti atm

Just realized there's zero votes for Brazil to win it lol

6. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid

Not any more lol

After Brazils demolition of Haiti last night, I've just changed my vote!

7. Limiescouse

Strange game last night. Despite the score line I didnt think Brazil looked too good. Their balance is still strange and it's odd how difficult it is for them to find a striker, but Gabriel, the young lad they brought on at half time, looked good.

I've also just realised that our Speedy Gonzales is in the Chile squad.

8. inaiq

It was a good scoreline for their GD, however, as you said, still did not impress me, maybe i expect too much them being Brazil, still waiting for them to show their traditional/historical true class.
    Dunga just does not inspire, to me a bit like Souness, great players bout not so great a manager.

I did enjoy the Ecuador v Peru game more, ref made a great call in injury time by letting play go on with Peru on the attack. What a great fast move just did not have the finish the move deserved. The ref let the move continue and then came back and gave a second yellow for the defender to be sent off.

9. SoftGerman

Brazil showed great weakness' in defending. If they do the same against a top team, they'll concede seven again.
    Dunga's master plan with not inviting Thiago Silva, David Luiz, etc. is one not many people understand. He just doesn't want to invite the players who failed against Germany in 2014 again. The only one still invited is Hulk. What a great choice. *cough*
    Neymar will be rested for the Olympic games. Firmino not invited because not good enough ...
    Honestly, I don't understand Dunga, I think the Brazilians deserve better. They should invite their best players. And the team they have is still much better than they perform.
    Haiti played without an organized defense. Brazil too, in the end Brazil just had the quality in the offense to punish Haiti, while they guys from the Island didn't.
    Coutinho was okay. He scored three, but the keeper looked weird at both his goals from distance. He kind of ran after the ball instead of jumping once, and the other time he first seemed to expect the shot to go in the other corner.
    Willian was poor.

10. inaiq

I agree with your comments on Dunga for sure, not that i disagree with your other points, but for me Dunga seems that he cannot handle the ego's and/or personalities of the experienced players. Dunga's personality on the pitch was a very assertive, aggressive and tough. It seems to me he lacks man management skills.

11. SoftGerman

And man management skills are maybe the most important thing for a National coach.

And now, who guessed Uruguay is gonna win it? Admit it lol

I must say, that they go out so fast was a bit surprising. I know, Suarez had an injury, and their quality on other positions is limited, but still.

inaiq likes this.
  12. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

Uruguay out already! Suarez not a happy chap either.

13. inaiq

You got me... If I had not been watching their games I would be shocked. Having followed their games i am not surprised. It showed an over dependence on the qualities that Suarez brings...
    All credit to Venazualia ...:well done:

SoftGerman likes this.
  14. inaiq

Not at all... He must have been ``biting at the bit`` :J through out the game.

15. Celtic Dragon

Suarez wasn't even amongst the subs, so all he could do was sit and watch. And punch the dugout.

16. inaiq

Yeah, he is injured... Hope the punching dugout did not injure him more :J..

Speaking of dugouts, I was trying to explain to a Canadian, why some call it Dugout and others call it subs bench... after much back and forth on whats app, and :?: of how best to explain via text, I just sent her and email with giffs of the 2 and she came back with .. "oh its used for the the same thing"...:-)... this education process has been going for some time..
    Baseball v rounders
    Rugby v American football
    Soccer v Football
    Field Hockey v Ice Hockey
    :-)

17. El Dorado

El Dorado Well-Known Member

Dunga is toast. Don't know how he lasted this long.

inaiq and POBox like this.
  18. gingerbread

gingerbread TIA Squad Member

Weird thing, Uruguay was never knocked out of a major tournament when Suarez play/ on the pitch
    • In World Cup 2010, Uruguay was knocked out in quarter final after Suarez being banned due to handball incident.
    • In Copa 2011, Uruguay won it where Suarez played a huge part.
    • In World Cup 2014, Uruguay was knocked out after Suarez being banned due to the biting incident.
    • In Copa 2015, Suarez was still banned from biting incident.
    • And this year Copa 2016 Uruguay once again being knocked out by Mexico and Venezuela while he was injured.
    He really could finish his successful international career while never lose a decisive match

Meanswhile US surprisingly top their group. And have to play Ecuador means they do have that chance of making to quarterfinal. Likely to face Argentina there through

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    inaiq likes this.
  19. fcukManU

fcukManU still a dani pacheco stan

Why is this thread still in the Euro sub? lol

Haven't seen any games in this competition yet, but going from the highlights, Brazil were unlucky. Don't know what the consensus is on Dunga, but I think this Copa exit is harsh on him. Even in 2010, I thought his Brazil team against the Dutch were excellent in the first half (we all know what unfortunately happened next!). @cardiffpete Any thoughts on Dunga's Brazil?

Hate it had to be you Dunga. Again. :((

20. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Harsh or not you can't really go out of a group with Peru and Ecuador and claim it was a good effort.

gr_sounder, inaiq and redbj like this.
  21. fcukManU

fcukManU still a dani pacheco stan

They can only blame themselves for their poor finishing, sure, but a clear handball goal? Not much you can do against incompetent refereeing.

22. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

It's Peru? We are not talking about the finest Madrid sides of the 1960's

23. Limiescouse

Sure, but the defending was still bad enough to deserve conceding a goal. They also only got the draw against Ecuador int he first game because of equally bad decision that disallowed a goal against them. In all they have been poor against 2 mid level south american sides and beat up on a side that is not very good even at the CONCACAF level. It's been a terrible tournament for them.

inaiq likes this.
  24. SoftGerman

Critisized Dunga before, because the nominations for the squad were absurd, in my opinion. That they went out is not very surprising. Argentinia, Colombia (who I voted for to win before the tournament) and Mexico are much stronger.
    Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to sack Dunga now.
    For LFC it's not too bad. Firmino wasn't noominated, so will be back early in training. Also Coutinho will be back in mid of July, could have missed the America trip and been back just before the League start if they would've gone to the final.
    I hope Chile will win, but it's gonna be tough.

25. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

Thiago Silva, David Luiz non-picked over Miranda-Gil. Luiz Gustavo withdrew and no Lucas Leiva (instead Walace (Gremio) and he didn't play. No Alex Sandro or Marcelo at LB. No Neymar either. No DM at all versus his opponent in the do-or-die last match, except R. Agustao and then Elias shuttling. Hulk called-up (for nothing). Many others available and many very better.

Dunga must go very fast. The whole (and very corrupt national association of CBF) backing him have been torn-apart a bit, with 10 charged by FIFA investigators 6 months ago and (of their replacements) another 3 of these have been charged too.

Most of my Brazilian mates actually want Brazil to not qualify for Russia 2018 (6th atm, in qualifying stuff) ...if it means a huge and massive shake-up in the game and the Selecao. Like when we got rid of BR last season. The sooner-the-better etc.

Dunga was beyond criminal in non-selecting anyone who dared to once question him. Thiago Silva (maybe the world's best CB and Brazil's real go-to CB) publicly questioned Dunga ...and was never (after that) selected for Brazil. You just cannot do that as a coach though aka ostracise your very best players, to only punish them. It's crazy to play politics within your selections.

For me, Dunga does not deserve to coach the Rio squad anymore here. He just get the hell out-of-there, asap too.

Kanonkop and inaiq like this.
  26. HG_LFC51

HG_LFC51 New Member

What a great goal of Jesus Corona, he save Mexico yesterday, maybe the best goal of the cup.

Red Skip likes this.
  27. Limiescouse

Well, he's gone. Rinato let go as well with the new guy taking over the Olympic side as well.

inaiq likes this.
  28. Celtic Dragon

29. Never Say Never

Never Say Never To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Late, again, but I was actually at the Argentina v Panama game for the Messi hat trick. It was nuts and a pretty cool thing to be able to say I was there.

inaiq likes this.
  30. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

Marin (who appointed Dunga) was ousted in the FIFA purge last year, while his successor del Nero was also indicted (with 9 others) in May. Bit of a power vacuum there.

The older and more traditionalists are now gone ...but Brazil is also reeling from a lack-of-direction too, footballing-wise. Yes, on off-side (or handball goal) is tough to go out from ...but Brazil still has an over-abundance of playing talents. Should not be languishing 6th in Russia 2018 qualifying. No doubt they will rescue that stuff ...but possibly maybe they won't either. No god-given right to play World Cup, for any team.

It will be very interesting who the CBF now turn to. Hopefully not another blast-from-the-past here, like Scolari/Dunga, who have both just dug graves for Brazil of late here.

inaiq likes this.