Copa Centenario 2016

Discussion in 'World Football' started by RedCanuck099, Jun 1, 2016.

?

Who will win it?

1. Brazil

2. Argentina

3. Uruguay

4. Chile

5. Colombia

6. USA

7. Mexico

8. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

They're just sulking.

2. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Not so sure about that. The relationship with AFA is poor, and Mascherano came very close to quitting last year. Aguero surprises me though.

3. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

Mascherano maybe since he's getting older than the rest. The others easy.

4. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Argentina played the latter stages of that game last night like a team weighed down by previous disappointment, but they really have every right to sulk. This must be genuinely heart breaking for them. There were something like 7 or 8 of these players were on the teams that wont he U20 world cups in 05 or 07 and upon graduating to the senior side have basically been a part of what is considered the best team 2-3 teams in international football ever since. Yet they've won nothing and come so close so many times. I dont know if there is an international side that has ever failed to deliver as much as this group. Just from a motivation and emotional PoV it may be time to just start a new.

All players in their late 20s who will have to go through another 2 year cycle before they get the next world cup and so may not be worthy of being first choice by then. Mascherano will be a big loss - he was absolutely superb last night - and Messi obviously will be based on pure talent, but it may be best for Argentina to start planning for 2018 now. If it's going to be the likes of Dybala and the lad from Atletico who came on late last night that gets them through the world cup then they may as well start planning now.

5. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid

Surprised Messi has retired from internationals. Thought he might at least have gone on to the 2018 World Cup before stepping down.

6. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

@Limiescouse , thanks ever so much for your in depth analysis, very interesting what you guys say about Huguain, I was hoping he would flourish at LFC. Very sad to hear about Messi 's decision though.

Btw, your analysis on the USA team was superb. :well done:

7. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Just saw Messi crying after the Copa America cup. I feel so sorry for him. He didn't deserve this end to his international career. He such a humble and genuine person. Argentina never appreciated him enough.

8. SGM

SGM TIA Legend

Bayern were reportedly interested in him in January guess they aren't good enough. And I made a mistake, missed where he signed a new contract with Hertha until 2019, so maybe his price would be higher than I anticipated. Also, all I said is I wouldn't mind Klopp taking a look at him with our awful CBs lately. Not sure why I am not allowed to say that.

9. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

Average of 15 international games per-year, often with players just willy-nilly thrown together with 20+ others. No proper trainings together, no summer holidays anymore either. Worn-out by club competition too and about 50+ games at the highest-end of the game.

The very recent Euro 2016 horror of a borefest festival is a very sorry excuse of a month-long and very commercial competition. Complete exhaustion guaranteed for any (top) players taking-part. Only one team ever takes the real honours anyway. First is first ...and (even) 2nd is nowhere. Honour-rights almost guaranteed for about half the competitors though, aka OMG "we" got past the first group phase. Just who is "we" though? Not you, right?? N'est-ce pas?

50% of all international games is just soul-destroying friendly stuff, with maybe every-other player subbed-out, another 25% is maybe a semi-meaningless expected thrashing of a vastly inferior opponent and the other 25% is split-between some overly cautious win-at-all-costs ultra-pragmatic tournament play to the very occasional (aka less-than 10%) opening-up ..of footie stuff.

Most international football is only interesting for those watching and ever hoping for that bit of tiny joy in their own lives. You could just canoe though, or ride your own bike, or else swim (or even read a good book) or motorbike a bit. All (by a huge factor too) far more interesting stuff to do. Watch some vastly overpaid athletes perform ( or hope to see that - all couch-potato style) ...or else just really enjoy the thrills-and-spills yourself - at whatever level. That should not be a choice - any choice really ;-)

OK, 500+ elite footie athletes are/were gathering in USA (for Copa) or in France (for Euro2016). Copa is/was far better qua entertainment probably ...but I (maybe) got a far better personal deal by biking-it 5 days, hiking-it another 5, swimming-it for 3, going to music festivals, motorbike stuff etc.

Instead of waiting for someone to hand you entertainment on-a-platter (on TV etc), why not just do it yourself, instead (if you can)? Instead of watching a very-balding Shearer (45) (or Henry (40) ) telling you that someone or something should have / could have / might have done soemthing better or different ...just do it yourself instead.

If you are old enough, then watch sports passively. If you however are young enough ...then just do it instead haha. It's just so much better to do sports at any level, than to just sit in front of content -all served-up passively.

inaiq likes this.
  10. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

We are just about to spend £34m on mane so wouldnt think money would be an issue if Klopp was interested. As far as Munich being interested, well I think they might have these transfer rumours in Germany too. I don't think that is just a British phenomenon but could be wrong about that tbh

Oh you totally have the right to think we should look at him but once you post that though I have the right to disagree with you. It's why there is a reply option to each post

inaiq likes this.
  11. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

Democracy, I luuurrrvvvv It. :-)

12. gr_sounder

gr_sounder Always Watching

Democracy???

13. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

Everyone has a right to an opinion, it's related to the current political issues here and peoples interpretation and application of democracy. Not a dig at anyone just my humor hence the :-)

darkvoid likes this.
  14. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

democracy
    dɪˈmɒkrəsi/
    noun
    1. a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.
      "a system of parliamentary democracy"
      synonyms: representative government,elective government,constitutional government,popular government; More

• a state governeddemocracysystem of democracy.
        plural noun: democracies
        "a multiparty democracy

gr_sounder likes this.
  15. gr_sounder

lol.... thanks all... I think I grasp the concept of the form of government :-)
    Was just surprised to see it used the way it was in the response earlier by inaiq...

Sidenote: I like democracies... but they really suck if you're in the 49.999% minority. They also work better if the people who vote are actually educated on the issues/people for whom they vote... but that's another topic :-)

darkvoid likes this.
  16. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

Though didn't George Bush win the election even though he got less votes
    So much for democracy :think:

inaiq and gr_sounder like this.
  17. gr_sounder

It's happened 4 times that the president elect didn't win the popular vote:
    • John Quincy Adams
    • Rutherford B Hayes
    • Benjamin Harrison
    • George W. Bush
    Sidenote you can still get "elected" president without a single popular vote.

Sorry I know it's still off topic... but.... the USA isn't a democracy ... it's a republic ... technically it's a federal presidential republic.