Divock ORIGI: 2016/17

Discussion in 'First Team' started by Nikola, Jul 4, 2016.

1. pottymonster

pottymonster I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

I think we have other priorities this summer, and Klopp seems to be content with having the goals spread around rather than focusing on one player to get it done. I don't think we've seen the best of Firmino yet either, I think he'll improve even more next season. I'm not sure how many games he's played through the middle and how many he's been forced to play from the wing, but I feel like it's been a 60-40 split. If he stays in the middle, I think he adds more goals.

Limiescouse likes this.
  2. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Closer to 50-50, in fact. Transfermarkt lists it as 19/40 games this season at CF, the rest in various other positions:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/roberto-firmino/leistungsdaten/spieler/131789

I think there's little doubt we need him to get better at taking his chances, as 6 goals from 19 games at CF isn't anything to write home about... though tellingly if you factor in his 8 assists from that position he's closer to a goal contribution a game, which is decent.

3. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Our attacking problems started when our supporting players became unavailable. A great centre forward would be able to paper over some of those cracks, better than Firmino and Origi can. The other solution is to improve the quality and depth of our supporting cast. We won't do both, because it's extremely expensive and Klopp isn't going to ditch players he relies on so quickly.

If we had to play 10 games in a row with Origi starting, and he was supported by 3 of Mane, Coutinho, Lallana, Salah, Chamberlain...i highly doubt we'd be scratching around wondering where our next goal is going to come from.

If we start many games next year with no pace on the flanks and Gini and Can as our most offensive midfielders I think our football will suffer regardless of who is centre forward...

4. Poor Scouser Tommy

Poor Scouser Tommy Sweet as a nut.

Regarding Ings, I agree with ILLOK.

I'd be thrilled if Ings stayed fit and started scoring regularly, but we can't be sure that will happen.

When it comes to choosing between Origi and Sturridge, I'd have to go with Divock, although it would pain me to say goodbye to Sturridge. The latter is top-class, but we can't rely on him to be fit, and his wages would go a long way toward paying for an injury-resistant player who is capable of scoring 15 - 20 goals a season.

We are really close to being legitimate contenders. If we could have added 10 goals in 10 games to our goal difference during the second half of this season - just by scoring a few more and conceding a handful less - we'd have given Chelsea a few sleepless nights.

5. Poor Scouser Tommy

Fair enough. But, the question we should be asking is: was Henry really any good? :think:

;-)

lfc.eddie likes this.
  6. Poor Scouser Tommy

I'm somewhat ambivalent when it comes to Chamberlain, leaning towards the "Thanks, but no thanks."

Salah, on the other hand, would add width, pace and goals, and I've no problem with the club signing him. Furthermore, he's assisted as many goals this season as he's scored, so Origi, Mane and Firmino, et al. should benefit.

7. shachart

shachart Our greatest win

@ILLOK You have a legitimate point. We have been the second team in the league in terms of scoring goals, and we have done so without a 20+ striker, or anything near that ( Lukaku, Kane, Sanchez. Zlatan, Costa, Aguero ). Klopps team is not built on a pivot point that will score Goals. So, if we had adequate alternatives to Mane, Coutinho, Lallana we would have probably been a few places up than we are now, even with Origi.
    However, as many have said during the season, and if memory serves so did you, we need a plan B. Firmino has been great this season, but sometimes we need a clasdic forward who can play with his back to goal, cause havoc by just being on the pitch, make defences concentrate on him.
    Origi was Belguim 2nd choice striker last Euro when he was only 18. We bought him, and he spent a year on loan in france which got him the title of worse player of the year, while I do not agree with that, it is fair to say he didnt impress that season.
    The last 2 seasons with us, he has bulked up, had some good outings and scored some goals. But on the whole, I do not see a major advancement in his game. He should have developed more.
    Maybe it is due to lack of game time, but that is not going to change next season.

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.