Dominic Solanke (ST) Chelsea

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by SoueysTash, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

Dominic Solanke has been at the club since the Under-8 age group and has been a prolific goalscorer as he progressed through the ranks. The striker made 10 appearances for the youth team in 2012/13 while still an Under-15, scoring twice, before going on to feature prominently in our successful Youth Cup campaign the following season.

While still a schoolboy, Solanke netted eight goals in eight games as Adi Viveash’s side won the competition. His brace in the final eight minutes at Stamford Bridge turned the final around against Fulham. His exploits were rewarded with Under-19 and Under-21 debuts that season.

Dominic spent much of his debut year as a scholar with the Under-21s and continued to find the back of the net regularly. Once again, his impact was significant in the cup competitions and he finished as top goalscorer in both the Youth Cup and UEFA Youth League, scoring in every round of the domestic competition and in the finals of both.

An England Under-19 international, Solanke scored four goals at the UEFA Under-17 European Championship finals in 2014 as England were crowned European champions. He signed a professional contract in September 2014 and made his first team debut as a substitute in the Champions League against Maribor the following month, becoming the youngest Chelsea player to participate in the competition.

In August 2015 it was announced Solanke would spend a season-long loan at Dutch club Vitesse Arnhem, his first spell away from Stamford Bridge, and in November 2015 he was called into the England Under-21 squad for the first time.

Solanke’s first season of regular first-team football in one of Europe’s major leagues yielded seven goals, two of them from the penalty spot, from 22 starts and four substitute appearances for Vitesse.

Also academy player of the year 2014/15

2. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Scott Jones, rupzzz, Iluvatar and 4 others like this.
  3. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

cue the ACL injury

4. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

paul joyce‏ @_pauljoyce 4h4 hours ago
    Liverpool to sign Dominic Solanke from Chelsea. Fee to be decided by tribunal.

I have no reason for thinking this but I do have a feeling that this might mean that Sturridge is staying and that Solanke will be a like-for-like back-up with a view to eventually replacing Sturridge.

5. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

can't shake the visual similarity to Costa.. like a (much) better looking younger brother, or maybe if Costa hadn't hit every branch when he fell out of the ugly tree.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anfield rd Dreamer and redfanman like this.
  6. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Just seen that he's from Basingstoke, where I've been living for the past 7-8 years. Went to school just up the road from here.

For some reason I can't quite define that makes me particularly well-disposed towards him.

Scored a bucketful at youth levels as well, that's always nice.

Jase and redfanman like this.
  7. Mark Thurgood

Mark Thurgood is tired of this "new member" tag

ZB unfortunately I'm quite close to you, that's a shame. Might have to emigrate. Haha

Back on topic I heard something about this guy and us a while ago, but didn't think it would come to fruition, see what happens I guess, bucket load at youth level is always useful as as his efforts in training get rewarded with first team action 'eventually'

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  8. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

I used to live in Reading. I found out that ZB lived in Basingstoke. I now live in Cheltenham.

Make of that what you will.

9. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Happy days Mega Signing hard one to follow for the rest of the summer

Jase and Kopstar like this.
  10. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

Well he should be right up your alley - with your extensive support to youth players(ala Grujic).

Scott Jones and lfc.eddie like this.
  11. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

I used to live in Surrey then found out that ZB lived in Basingstroke...so moved to Singapore...Then I found out that's where @lfc.eddie lives....so now I'm back in the UK...the lesser of two evils. ;-)

12. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

This is basically a run of the mill youth signing. Might do well one day, law of averages says he wont.

But you have to buy the ticket to have a chance of success when it comes to young players.

Out of 6-7 promising youngsters that don't cost much money, if 1 of them makes it, it would be deemed a success.

13. geebo

geebo Bekloppt ! (German for loopy)

Excellent signing. Could do a lot worse for 3 mil. But he seems a goal machine. I guess the next two years will see whether he takes that step forward, or not.... I wonder if Klopp promised him a LC outing? or two? With Woodburn in the U23s we should score bucket loads !

RaoulDuke likes this.
  14. bazza66

bazza66 TIA Youth Team

The runs he makes are intelligent and his anticipation seems very sound. Quite big and pacy, too. Good goals to games ratio. Hmm I need to find a reason not to like this signing. Ah!

Jase likes this.
  15. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Done deal:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/265085-reds-agree-terms-to-sign-dominic-solanke

Liverpool FC have agreed personal terms with Dominic Solanke to sign the England youth international this summer.

The 19-year-old striker will complete the transfer to the Reds on July 1, 2017, upon the expiry of his contract with his current club, Chelsea.

Solanke made his senior debut for the London side as a substitute in a Champions League tie in October 2014, and scored seven goals in 25 Eredivisie appearances during a productive loan spell with Dutch outfit Vitesse Arnhem in 2015-16.

He has represented his country at every age level from U16 to U21 and is currently in South Korea for the FIFA U20 World Cup, where the forward has so far featured in all three games and scored once to help England into the knockout stages.

Solanke, twice an FA Youth Cup champion and winner of the UEFA Youth League and U17 European Championship, will officially join Jürgen Klopp’s squad on July 1.‎

Scott Jones and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  16. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Wow, reckon that's a speed record for the rumour mill.

/thread

17. Etipafilaf

Etipafilaf "If we want, this can be a real special day."

In watching that clip, he reminded me of Firmino in that he might prefer to pass to a wide open teammate than take a contested shot. That also falls in line with Klopp's words during the season so I can see why Klopp may have wanted to bring him in.

Don't see much downside to this one really...

Seemingly has potential but I am looking forward to seeing him in actual games, be it first team or U23.

18. Koon

Koon New Member

This kinda confirms my theory that we won't buy a CF, Firmino is Klopp's indisputable number one. This makes me happy cause I really don't think we need a propper CF and to me Lacazette is overrated.

We will have more money for other positions. Nice.

19. Keeno

Keeno TIA New Signing

Just as long as he isn't our only striker signing. Please don't let him be our only striker signing!

20. Sweeting

Sweeting Doesn't think Mignolet is that bad

I hope I didn't sound flippant of his ability, I believe I said he was a huge talent at 17 and has dropped off the radar a bit since then. Perhaps a change of scenery will do him the world of good.

Don't think anyone should get excited about this signing but it is definitely worth the punt at the mooted price and if he can recapture what he had a couple of years ago he will be a steal.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  21. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

No, you didnt sound flippant at all. It's a sobre and honest assessment. Apologies if i made it sound otherwise. :-)

22. lillypad_33

lillypad_33 TIA New Signing

I think it's the shirt mainly....

Jase likes this.
  23. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.