Dominic Solanke: Welcome to Liverpool

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Kopstar, May 30, 2017.

1. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Think we over rate to an extent but many, if they had received that right development and playing time from 18 to about 23 would have become at least decent squad players. Worst case scenario we could have sold them on to championship and lower premier league clubs. I don't believe we've quite got our development of youngsters right for quite some time. We had the room in our squads too that would have allowed us to play these kids more. We didn't need players such as Plessis, El Zhar, Voronin, Degen, Assaidi, Coates, Alberto and even Grujic. We've tried to find the next big thing or diamonds in the rough elsewhere spending money on fees and wages to bring these guys in. None of which played a lot. We have had room in our squads to develop talents more we just haven't taken it.

treboeth, Limiescouse and RaoulDuke like this.
  2. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

You'll like this one then

Kopstar, Maria, ubermick and 4 others like this.
  3. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

It sounds like the coaching staff have been working hard with him this year to improve his decision-making and helping him to make better use of his pace... looks like that's reaping benefits and wouldn't be surprised to see him more involved next season.

FGred and James H like this.
  4. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

Wait till Makati sees this. He is going to throw the mother of all tantrums.

5. LaurazRed

LaurazRed The hopeful one

I'm pleased to see Solanke scored a brace yesterday. Considering he's not had much playing time at club level he's looking good for the England under 20's.

FGred and Scott Jones like this.
  6. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

lol he might become the next world class CM. But my point is we've spent money on him when we didn't actually need him. We've chosen to give our development opportunities to him instead of Ejaria or Branagan or someone else. We might have made the right choice and he may be more likely to develop into what we need in the future and turn out to be worth every penny spent. But that still wouldn't justify criticising Ejaria and Branagan for not developing enough during those now more limited opportunities. Unless we give actual development opportunities our young potentials will never achieve what they could. Or if they do it'll be years later in their careers (think Parker and Chelsea or Gulacsi with us). Sterling, Ibe and Suso may have been no different than Ince, Toni Silva or Kristoffer Peterson if they hadn't, through necessity, been played and given chances to impress and deliver. That period 18-23 can really set a player back and stop a player from reaching half their potential. Luckily Klopp seems to be actively attempting to give the best of the best at the academy the correct opportunities. Such as not signing a back up right back but trusting Alexander-Arnold and leaving plenty of space in the roster when it comes to attack for guys like Woodburn to get chances.

7. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

A system that can only find a way to use youth products who are that good is a not a good system for kids to be in. Even for players who go on to play at the international level and have great careers, the Owen/Gerrard path to senior football is still the anomaly. For the vast majority of players who have the talent and drive to make it at this level, simply saying "if you;re good enough you'll play" isnt enough for them to get their shot.

8. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

You mean to say that the top crop of the youth player wants a roadmap into the first team presented for them, before they take a call about transfers and things. The Dele Alli scenario?

9. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Having a theoretical road map for them is one thing. Actually having the courage of your convictions and following it is another.

10. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

This is the striker we were looking for..

RaoulDuke, FGred and treboeth like this.
  11. Klopptinho

Klopptinho Well-Known Member

this guy is like the brazilian ronaldo with the strength of carsten janker and the heading ability of john toshack . i predict he will score 100 league goals in 25 games and be world player of the year by september . he's faster than light but moves with the grace of billy elliot . reminds me of what robbie fowler could have been if he had been any good.

FGred and treboeth like this.
  12. treboeth

treboeth Well-Known Member

Depends which head of his is posting at the time though :?:

13. treboeth

I think thats a banning offence here, certainly a hanging one :shocked:

Irishanfield and Klopptinho like this.
  14. Klopptinho

i still have my fowler shirt somewhere from the 95-96 season

treboeth likes this.
  15. treboeth

FGred likes this.
  16. Irishanfield

Irishanfield Well-Known Member

Bet you were a full kit wanker :think:

17. Klopptinho

:shocked: never in my kit :shocked:

Irishanfield likes this.
  18. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

*breaks finger on like button*

19. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Ojo looks like he's been in the gym. maybe it's just comparing him to players his age group vs full grown men, but he looked a step ahead of most of the players in his movements and agility.

20. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

Finally a Danny Sturridge without the injuries!

;-)

FGred and Iluvatar like this.
  21. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Ojo has been a unit for as long as I've seen him. He has never been skinny. Compare him to Coutinho for instance, he's twice his size (I saw both in person about a month ago).

22. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

23. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

Well, as it doesn't look like we're going to be capable of signing anyone else this year, i'll but ALL my hopes on this lad.

Straight into the first team with him and 40+ goals in all competitions please.

FGred and lfc.eddie like this.
  24. Commando

Commando Active Member

Solanke scored England’s goal in the final against Holland, which was decided on penalties; it appears not to have been a flash in the pan and when the players return for pre-season with their clubs – all bar four in the top flight – scrutiny over their use and treatment can be expected to intensify.

Did I miss something? The article starts off by saying that the final is on Sunday. Then half way down it says that? :?:

redfanman likes this.
  25. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Different tournament. Was the U17s, I think (without reopening the article)...

redfanman likes this.
  26. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed for Dominic.
    Join the club as a WC winner!:well done:

FGred, Livvy, redfanman and 3 others like this.
  27. RaoulDuke

And don't forget Ojo!
    The Bolt from the bench :-)

I'm not sure why he ain't starting, but Simpson obviously knew what he was doing so far.

28. RaoulDuke

@Cologne-Liverpool

Are you also watching on german eurosport?

One of the two guys just said Solanke is a classy player and Klopp should be looking forward to his arrival at LFC :-)

Good to know they also rate him.

29. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

lol Seriously, I was just going to ask you the same thing...Yeah, full of praise for Solanke, nice to hear!

FGred, redfanman and RaoulDuke like this.
  30. RaoulDuke

Politically incorrect eurosport guy (I don't even know who he is. Lutz something): he just said there are too many foreign players in the PL that make it difficult for young players. And the main commentary guy didn't question it.

Are english TV commentators still allowed to say things like that?