England Discussion

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by Ataturk, Sep 23, 2012.

1. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

@Flobs

I don't know about rugby.
    But I've met many football fans over the years from a variety of countries and have never encountered this kind of hatred and disgust towards the national team.
    Then again, I also don't know english fans who feel that way (some disappointed or indifferent ones, but not to this extreme).
    Only in the internet so far, that's my experience.
    And even on TIA only english fans are expected to loathe and hate the national team during tournaments and qualifiers (only by a small minority of fans, fortunately).

2. RaoulDuke

Don't let the truth get in the way of a bad story.

3. RaoulDuke

Like I said in the Lallana thread:
    I won't judge this story as long as we don't get any official statements what was known at HT and what has really happened.
    And the reports linked in his thread come from a tabloid.

4. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

95% may have been an over-exagerration but I'd say the majority of reds in the city don't have any sort of passionate affection for the national team. In my experience, indifference is the overriding emotion, and some pure dislike thrown in there too.

As far as I'm aware it's similar within the local United fanbase too. The national team exists purely for fans of shite teams like Lincoln, Shrewsbury and Everton to have something to shout about.

inaiq and jaffod like this.
  5. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

It seems that I, as an Egyptian, support the English national team more than some locals themselves. Kinda sad. It is true that our English players have had a lot of problems from the international break , but that doesn't warrant the ridiculous amount of hate here.

inaiq, RaoulDuke and Scott Jones like this.
  6. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

I personally think the intensity of international football and the different level players reach for club v country leaves people pissed that for country they give less effort,there could many reasons for this but the default thought is they cant be arsed,international football has big time falling behind the club game and yet is more expensive to follow,its a shame because as an England fan i struggle sometimes to get enthusiastic about watching,is it just me.

inaiq likes this.
  7. jaffod

jaffod Well-Known Member

I live in the city as well and during the last World Cup I saw a handful of cars with England flags on them. Maybe one or two houses with a paper flag in the window from some grotty tabloid rag. All miniscule when compared to what it was like when Liverpool were playing in European Cup finals etc.
    Anyone maintaining there's anything more than a tiny percentage of visible support during a tournament are lying, simple as that.
    Remember the banner at Anfield, "We're not English we're scouse"? Just about nails it.

inaiq likes this.
  8. RaoulDuke

@ILLOK

I was referring to that number 95% and this exaggerated hatred.
    But Rambler isn't the only lad living in Liverpool from whom I've heard that you can find many england flags during tournament.
    Liverpool fans/Scousers never liked to be generalised by others as far as I know. But england fans also don't deserve that in my opinion.

@jaffod

I hardly visibly support england during tournaments and never had a flag in my car. tells what? nothing. I only wear the england shirt at home when watching them on telly. and only on very special occasions (k.o. phase e.g.)

Then again I have two casual LFC t-shirts I wear outside in my spare time.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Scott Jones likes this.
  9. jaffod

jaffod Well-Known Member

It tells me nobody's really arsed and is in stark contrast to when Liverpool are in a major final and you see houses and cars all over the city adorned with flags, banners etc.
    Do you wear your England shirt while posting in this thread? Just wondering.

10. RaoulDuke

Did you read my post? Did you comprehend?
    English, jaffod, do you speak it?

Yes, I'm wearing my shirt now.
    Because I'm not at work.
    I'm at home, watching england vs germany in the quarterfinals (world cup 2018 this is).

And it just went to a penalty shoot-out. uh-oh.

11. Scott Jones

You got a stream.:J

inaiq likes this.
  12. jaffod

jaffod Well-Known Member

Yes, I read your post.
    Yes, I did comprehend it.
    Yes, I do speak English.
    What's your point?

13. RaoulDuke

That you didn't (obviously).
    Btw, last question was a reference. I hope some of you recognised it.

14. jaffod

jaffod Well-Known Member

You're not making any sense. Is English your first language?

Tell me what you saw in my post to suggest I didn't read it. I responded clearly to a question you asked and then I asked one of my own. No room for mis-interpretation as far as I can see.

I have to go out now unfortunately but I look forward to your reply. Cheers.

15. RaoulDuke

well, it's over now.
    Phil Jones has missed the last penalty of the game, crying like a baby.
    "I know how it feels, son" (G. Southgate)
    Looks like good old jaffod was right all along :((

@jaffod

I told you, I only wear the shirt at home and on special occasions.
    So there has to be an important game if your question makes sense.

Scott Jones likes this.
  16. Scott Jones

Did you have to pick Jones.:eh?:

inaiq, eng.amohd and RaoulDuke like this.
  17. RaoulDuke

Would you rather like to see Hendo or Lallana screw up? :J

inaiq and Scott Jones like this.
  18. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Sometimes the BBC can be brilliantly tone deaf.

Shteve McLaren saying English managers have a bad image

Let's see Steve, what have you been up to lately?

At Derby, top of the division, started playing footsie with Toon. Crashed out of the playoffs, fired
    Went to Toon, got them relegated despite decidedly un-Ashley like net spend. Fired.
    Went back to Derby, made no real difference in team performance, fired when his team entered what looked like a death spiral, collapsing morale, poor play, poor results that had them in relegation form.

Expects another job because he is English

19. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Just read the bit on BBC Sport. lol

"I think in the past we've made mistakes and been labelled," McClaren, who won the Dutch league with FC Twente in 2009-10, told BBC Sport.

"I asked the Dutch coaches about the English and British coaches. They're not respected, have a bad image. They think we have an island mentality, we only know English and stick with that, we won't learn other languages.

"They feel we're rigid in our play, 4-4-2, not adaptable, not flexible, very direct."

Apart from Eddie Howe and Brendan Rodgers that image still stands lol.

Scott Jones and inaiq like this.
  20. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

It's something that is annoying the shit out me with the new generation of recently retired players. People are so willing to believe that Giggs is being hard done by in being looked over for top jobs, yet over 2 years later he still has not gone and got the apprenticeship that would qualify him for one. It was one of the things that made Phil Neville appear so annoying in that discussion I cited in the PL thread. He thinks just because he has "a binder" he put together with stuff he learned off his courses that he should be given a job. Instead, owners hire people like Silva from Greece that "no-one has ever heard of", a decision that he amazingly and ignorantly speaks of critically.

Livvy and redfanman like this.
  21. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

The thing is, there are some English coaches who appear to be very promising. Clement and Rowlett come to mind. But they have struggled to get a chance at clubs precisely because of established English managers like McLaren - tactically staid at best, mercenary and completely willing to jump to the next club, ever-ready to blame a lack of resources despite squandering massive amounts of what is made available.

The fact that Neville would criticize Silva's hiring is beyond belief. He has done an incredible job trying to keep Hull from going over the precipice, they should be long gone, well before Boro. Absolutely agree about Giggs, he did not show much in his ManU interlude, and he would appear not to be particularly motivated. To Neville's credit, he has at least tested his coaching brilliance outside England, but his time at Valencia is I suspect not exactly a compelling argument to the average club chairman.

redfanman and Scott Jones like this.
  22. RaoulDuke

While many of those english/managers might lack the quality (if it's the case the question should be why?) it's also true that it's very difficult for young guys to get a job in the championship or let alone the PL.
    Because the wages for managers in the PL and even championship are attractive to many managers from leagues all over europe.
    Caus like everyhting else in those top english leagues, they are inflated compared to the rest of europe.
    Combined with the high percentage of foreign owners (who don't hesitate to hire experienced managers from abroad) and english dinosaurs like 'arry, Sam and McClown those circumstances create a bleak outlook for younger english coaches/managers.

And we shouldn't forget that foreign managers often prefer to bring foreign coaches/assistents with them.

Scott Jones likes this.
  23. Scott Jones

English managers seem to be more cautious,safe and less radical and just more old school if you will,out of date somewhat.

redfanman likes this.
  24. RaoulDuke

Especially the older ones.
    But I think Howe and Dyche for example are o.k.
    Or what I've seen from Monk in the PL.

And I still believe G. Neville could have developed into a decent manager.
    He should never have accepted that kamikaze operation at Valencia (not knowing the league, not speaking the language etc).
    I said that the same day they appointed him.

25. Scott Jones

I'll give you Howe but Dyche is a new Sam and Neville is too much of a prat to succeed imo.

inaiq likes this.
  26. RaoulDuke

Well, I wrote o.k,
    Yes, Allardyce is unlikeable etc. But as manager he was at least o.k. in my opinion
    So if Dyche can emulate him ;-)

redfanman and Scott Jones like this.