Euro 2016 Qualifying

Discussion in 'European Football' started by RedCanuck099, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Nick_LFC

Nick_LFC Bob and Phil from Brazil!

England and Hamsik will qualify, group C is tricky to call.

England will win the tournament easily, too much class.

RedCanuck099 likes this.
  2. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

I'd guess 4th before 1st for Russia, but the opening game against England is probably going to point them in whatever direction they end up - if they lose, probably 4th.

RaoulDuke likes this.
  3. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

Pass the bong, mate.

4. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

England will qualify but I think Wales will beat them. Not many interesting groups other than the Ireland one.

5. ChicagoRed

ChicagoRed Banned Users

Disagree. I think every group besides A is i interesting. Maybe not all as far as getting through, but as far as placing

6. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

Group D looks alright to be fair. But the fact that 3 teams will qualify from certain groups just takes an edge away from the tournament imo.

7. ChicagoRed

ChicagoRed Banned Users

I don't really have a problem with. It got teams like Wales in. And I'm probably going to put money on Austria to win their group

RaoulDuke likes this.
  8. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

Luckily for us we aren't in Group E, who because of the new qualification rules have a harder route to the final.

9. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Ireland with the worst case scenario, it seems... Oh, well, it will even sweeter when they knock Italy out!

Professional Grass likes this.
  10. Professional Grass

Professional Grass TIA Regular

So much football between now and the tournament that the picture could change drastically as to who is expected to do well / badly. Imagine Bale or Lewandowski getting injured (or preferably Rooney :tongue:), or some wunderkind emerging.

11. RedCanuck099

RedCanuck099 Well-Known Member

Rooney as captain=automatic trophy.
    It's basically a tournament to see who gets to lose to England in the final.

RaoulDuke and Nick_LFC like this.
  12. RaoulDuke

Shouldn't be too hard to replace him, now that he is a has-been. ;-)
    And england also has the emerging wunderkind: delle alli (spelling?) :-)

13. Professional Grass

Problem is Roy will not drop him despite Rooney being past it. I fear even if Rooney is injured, Roy may still take him to the Euros.

14. RichLFC

RichLFC TIA First Team

I think both England and Wakes would be reasonably ok with that. Might have been beneficial to play Slovakia first rather than last but with this World Cup 1990 esque format it shouldn't be overly taxing for maybe England, Wales and Russia to all qualify. England topped a rougher group 4 years ago after all. If they don't then Hodgson will go this time so in a way nothing to lose

Wales chances of making an impact though clearly reliant on the big two. Bales fitness these days is patchy but he usually shows up for Wales nonetheless, no Ryan cry off Giggs him.

15. RichLFC

RichLFC TIA First Team

Problem being of course that wellbeck and Sturridge who have either the talent or the goalscoring pedigree at international level are sort of fucked. Vardy IMO is a flash in the pan and Walcott is also bolloxed. Booting Rooney out is a lot harder in practice than it is in theory, is what maybe because our fans don't like him a lot will overlook. All the above were reliable it would be a bit different. Kane seems the only consistent option and with him he hasn't played a minute in the CL in his career

That and a dearth of senior players and Rodney's goal record still decent for England despite his bad club form means it's not really feasible to leave him at home right now. Starting to remind me a bit of Robbie Keane, whose usefulness persisted rather longer for the ROI than it did domestically tbh

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  16. Professional Grass

Not counting the minnows, how many goals did Rooney score in qualifying that were not from pens. I'm not sure how much of an impact having senior players in the squad would have on performances (going by WC 2014), but you're right he could come in handy in that regard. Would Cahill, Hart, and Baines (if he makes the cut) be enough?

17. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I'm going say all 3 home nations to qualify for the 2nd round.... Not sure if I should extend the bet to Ireland though I am sure they will beat Italy.

18. RedCanuck099

Portugal's group is a cakewalk. But in all likelihood, they will face Belgium/Italy in the Round of 16.
    These 3rd place teams making the next round is pretty silly. You could actually qualify with 1 point (0-2-1)

19. ChicagoRed

ChicagoRed Banned Users

Disagree. Portugal will find Austria and Iceland difficult

RedCanuck099 and RaoulDuke like this.
  20. RaoulDuke

Austria won't lose vs. Portugal and is going to win their group.
    Quote me on that in 6 months :-)

21. RedCanuck099

Finish 2nd and they play 2nd from England's group (probably Russia/Wales) or finish 1st and play Belgium/Italy.
    You're onto something Duke;-)

22. RaoulDuke

Belgium maybe the most overrated team there :tongue:
    Austria is the dark horse :-)

23. RedCanuck099

@RaoulDuke: A very very darkhorse.
    Don't forget Switzerland. They've already faced the behemoth of England. They now know what it takes to win.
    Unfortunately they don't have a player like Rooney that can rip any defense to shreds at his own will.

24. RaoulDuke

They do now? And why did they lose both of their games vs england and couldn't really harm the little behemoth? ;-)

Austria might surprise you next summer.

25. RedCanuck099

When you see players like Kane, Sturridge, Rooney, Shaw, Alli etc.
    You just concede defeat. Or hope for a miracle draw.
    In all seriousness though, i expect England to be a top contender in 2018. So much young talent that will be in their prime in a few years.
    Purely unbiased opinion of course;-)

26. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Spicy group for us. Spain are still a top side who could be even more dangerous if people write them off. It was a pretty close final group game against them in 2012, Rakitic had a very good chance with his header in the second half at 0-0. We do have some history with Turkey, some major clashes in the last few years so it will be like a little derby, there will have to be some control of emotions. That's the group opener in Paris so it might be a key game for the winner of that one. Czech maybe not filled with individual quality like at times before but a well organized side from what I hear from other people. On paper we're probably small favourites to finish second, but I certainly don't feel confident enough yet to put money on it.

27. Charity10k

Charity10k New Member

You can enter the lottery for tickets for the games now at https://euro2016.tickets.uefa.com/lottery/welcome_en.html

You will need a Visa or Mastercard for the application but it won't be charged unless you are successful in the draw which will take place in February.

You will also need you passport number as when I applied for tickets I was only able to apply for my national teams games and the passport number is used to verify your nationality.

28. Nick_LFC

Nick_LFC Bob and Phil from Brazil!

cya in a month then lads.

29. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "┬┐Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

I think the entire forum has the right to vote which month should you start serving your ban, or at the very least the mods and admins should have a hand in it. I would suggest it starts September...... means more than getting the ban now. :-)

Also serves you right to bet on England to win.... :well done:

30. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

I'm tempted to pull a UEFA and hand out a provisional ban while the mods and admins take this under advisement.

Mind you, some absolute belter predictions:

Although fair play to RD, he did say Austria wouldn't lose to Portugal... unfortunately their draw was the only time they DIDN'T lose!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016