Europa League 2015/16

Discussion in 'European Football' started by Nikola, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

This one could get interesting, so fire away!

2. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

We won't go past knockout stage....

3. OhYaBeauty

OhYaBeauty Mamadou Sakho Fan Club Chairman

Seeing as the knockout stage is the last stage of the tournament, I'd say we're pretty much guaranteed not to go past it.

Ataturk likes this.
  4. Yo55arian22

Yo55arian22 Well-Known Member

I think with the players we have our chances of winning the Europa League are not too bad, and, realistically, it probably represents our best chance of qualifying again for the Champion's League, so I hope we go for it.

We still need a reliable goalscorer though, and Rodgers needs to learn from his mistakes. If those two things happen (the latter for me is admittedly quite a big if), I think we could win it.

Milner, Firmino and Clyne have got me feeling optimistic.

5. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Pretty sure Rodgers told us he was playing the kids, I would like us to take it slightly more serious happy to see Bogdan play the group games.

6. GratefulRed

GratefulRed TIA Reserve Team

Although I strongly believe that Rodgers should have been saked at the end of the season, I actually agree with him here.

We should play the younger squad players in this tournament. Give time to Ings, Origi, Ilori, Flanno, Wisdom, ect.

Teams fill their benches with one of two kinds of players. Either older players that don't mind collecting a check but will fill in if needed after injury or in league cup games (ie. Lambert or Kolo) or with younger players looking to break through. The ladder needs games and a chance more so then the former.

The Europa league is the perfect competition to place some responsibility on the younger players and give them an opportunity to prove themselves able.

7. lfc.eddie

You don't say..... (sorry no emoticons to do a lot of things these days....)

8. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I hope we take it at least semi-seriously. I think we're at the stage now where our players, manager and coaches need experience of competing in Europe. Apart from Skrtel, too few of our other players have any real such experience. Hopefully we won't hear any more of this excuse of not having enough time between matches to coach players properly.

Never Say Never and lfc.eddie like this.
  9. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

I think that inexperience definitely hurt us against Besiktas. We went into the away leg with an advantage, but a slim one, and played like the tie was already over and we simply wanted to get through it without extending ourselves. The group stage is another matter though, especially as that is where you get the majority of the awful away trips to parts of Europe you've never even heard of. Get through the group stage anyway possible and then relish the learning opportunity of competing in ties conducted over 2 legs.

10. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Good grief! The Hammers have somehow let Maltese(!) side Birkirkara draw level

...and Tomkins picks up a red to give the Maltans a real chance in the 2nd half.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  11. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Not saying anything but they haven't looked much cop in these games under Bilic.

12. Never Say Never

Never Say Never To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Agreed completely. I think @Arminius used atletico as an example of how to use the tournament to build european experience. This kind of experience is invaluable for the younger players to prepare them for when/if we make the CL. I think one of the biggest mistakes english clubs make is to not take these competitions seriously.

norwegian wood and lfc.eddie like this.
  13. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Didn't mind the approach last time we were in it + we certainly should cope better this time with a better & larger squad (depends on the group, but normally we should have enough to get past the group stage). If/once we get to some knockout stages, start fielding stronger sides.

14. cynicaloldgit

cynicaloldgit Well-Known Member

I've been to both West Ham home games (a friend of mine is a big Hammers fan) and the boo boys were already out at the Birkirkara match. Unbelievable, really.

15. lfc.eddie

I think the jeering has more to do with not renewing Allardyce contract, don't think it has a lot to do with Bilic and his new crew.

16. cynicaloldgit

Nope; it was definitely aimed at Bilic.

17. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Allardyce was really not popular with Hammers support, there definitely was not much outcry when his contract wasn't renewed.

18. Zinedine Biscan

2-2 for West Ham, og from their new CB.

19. cynicaloldgit

Collins' dismissal changed the match- it had all been plain sailing up until then. Astra's first goal was quality, their second lucky. Still, there's a lot of work for the Hammers to do now.

20. shankly96

shankly96 Gif King

According to the fans that went to the match the booing was aimed at the ref, the complaints re Bilic and Alllardyce by people who didn't go. http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=159244&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=720

Most of the family are West Ham fans and apart from the first 60 mins of this match and their very first match against Lusitans, they've been wank in Europe. Bilic has said Arsenal game is the priority and anyone playing Arse won't be going to Romania, so I'd expect them to go out. Great fun for winding up the family, but annoying for European coe-efficients, we need every to do well in Europe to keep 4 qualifying spots for CL

21. Lostmyfunk 3421

Lostmyfunk 3421 Standing on the verge of getting it on

Wouldn't surprise me if they were booing they have to be some of the worst fans in the country. never forge them for frightening me as a little kid on the train to Wales on a FA cup weekend. Cocky cockney scum at its worst. Hope they get relegated and they can't fill there free stadium

22. shankly96

shankly96 Gif King

West Ham out, Southampton through

23. Rambler

Rambler Bootle Boy

Shows you can't play second strings even in this competition. Talk of us playing a less than full side in Europa League will result in an early exit. Personally don't like this competition so wouldn't be too bothered....

24. spizfromoz

spizfromoz The Ancient Home of Austerity

Think we need to start at the bottom of European competition again. All these years out have allowed us to lapse as a club in Euro stakes. Let's learn to walk again, I say. This competition is a sobering experience for club and fans. Take it seriously like Atletico Madrid did, and we'll claw our way back as an EPL force through a new generation of players, coaches, administrators and football department.

geebo likes this.
  25. Lostmyfunk 3421

Lostmyfunk 3421 Standing on the verge of getting it on

I'd take Billic to be the first out this season of the door..What were they thinking hiring him? He's mad. Fickle fans.Nice combination.

26. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I got 10-1 on him...

I'm pretty sure he won't be the first there is always an odd one plus West Ham are pretty Patient then again they have the move in the summer and after it came out the entire stadium will be funded by the taxpayer I wish them all the best in being relegated.

ILLOK likes this.
  27. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

Fantastic game yesterday between Odd Grenland and Dortmund. 3-1 at half time, before Dortmund turned it around in the second half and deservedly won 4-3. Should probably have scored eight in the end; missed a couple of good chances and hit the woodwork four times. Great fun.

28. gasband

gasband The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign

T
    There were some raving about this 17 year old player Zekhini, is he any good?

29. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

So tomorrow, the draw takes place. Due to us being basically non-existent in Europe under Rodgers, we are in the second hat.

Looking forward to see whom we will play, as there could be some really attractive fixtures there.

30. Zinedine Biscan

Have a feeling this season will see Liverpool under Rodgers come of age in Europe. We're a lot savvier now than we've been in season's past imo.

The biggest test for our season as a whole is how we deal with a regular pattern of two games a week, that will be crucial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.