Europa League 2015/16

Discussion in 'European Football' started by Nikola, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

???

2. Dortmund fan

Dortmund 'desperate' to beat Jurgen Klopp and Liverpool - Mats Hummels

Hummels, however, says there will be no room for sentiment once the game gets going.

"The tie with Liverpool is one where we are simply desperate to beat Klopp. We have to beat him," Hummels told ZDF. "Of course, he will get a warm welcome and a warm farewell. But I hope to drive him mad in between.

"There will be a lot of media attention. And it will be something special for the players to meet Klopp again. It will be very interesting, also on an emotional level.

"But I try not to think about it too much yet. I already said after we were paired with Liverpool that we will start thinking about it when the game is actually around the corner."

The first leg takes place on April 7 at Dortmund's Signal Iduna Park, with the return at Anfield on April 14.

http://www.espnfc.com/uefa-europa-l...rtmund-desperate-to-beat-jurgen-klopp-hummels

3. Vic_Vinegar

Vic_Vinegar It’s a sort of shrine, it isn’t a football ground

Along with Gerrard, Alonso, Carragher, Hamann and Hyypia

4. Vic_Vinegar

I've read a few comments on forums. From what I've seen they're happy with the draw. They see us as a side struggling to make Europe in a poor EPL.

5. Da Bulli

Da Bulli Well-Known Member

Ha! Call it as it is eh? No room for romantic sentimentality amongst that lot.

6. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Hamann was being phased out that season but I still consider him the best in that role for sure. Gerrard and Hyypia would probably be the players that could be said superior to our opponent. Alonso, my other favourite midfielder is just 22 and not much experience to be labelled as a superior player in our Champs League quest, and Carragher was just made central defender. Before that he was abysmal as a defender. I would have never picked him to play fullback for us, and I do remember at that time whenever I see him starting as right back, I would know that goals are going to concede from his side and offers nothing going forward. So @liverpool_singh is right, our 2005 squad aren't superior against the likes of Juventus, Chelsea, and Milan. We were so inferior that when we went up against them, the fans just didn't expect much out of it till we were in the second leg of the semis. Even then in the finals we didn't expect to win it, just don't embarrassed ourselves.

Hope we could do the same here. Graft out them wins.

7. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

I've managed to secure a ticket for the return leg at Anfield against B.Dortmund - provided we're still in with a chance of qualifying in the 2nd leg (ie. Dortmund don't cruise to a 4-0 lead at their ground), it's going to be EPIC! :celebrating::celebrating::celebrating:

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  8. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Nice one. Atmosphere is going to be amazing for that one, I'm sure.

9. Vic_Vinegar

Fair points, my point wasn't what those players were considered by fans/the media etc - but what they actually were. Carragher - (despite his form for Liverpool being patchy up until that point (largely due to Houllier playing him out of position at full back)) used that season as a platform and went on to be one of the best Defenders in Europe over the next few seasons. I remember his performance against Juve in Turin as being probably his best all-round performance of the competition that year. Alonso too, although at the time he didn't have the reputation he'd go on to give himself, was a great player and a greater talent than our current CMs.

My argument was never that our 2005 squad was superior to the Juve, Milan and Chelsea squads at the time, far from it (I seem to remember us being underdogs against Bayer Leverkusen in the last 16). My argument was that in 2005 we had a better team to the one we currently have, therefore upsets were more likely (mainly due to having a genuinely world-class player in Gerrard driving us forward).

10. lfc.eddie

@Vic_Vinegar, upsets was never on the card and what we achieved is nothing less than spectacular. The only thing that could be as good if not better than the achievement of ours in 2005 is Leicester winning the league this season. The players, the manager and the club, not the fans and the media, would have thought they are going to pull that through. Not even that infamous halftime in Istanbul. Our squad today is relatively similar in stature to the ones that won the league title. What we are missing today compared to then was the driving force, the spirit and the will to fight, since we now have a manager of similar calibre.

We lack that leadership on the pitch, that's the one big puzzle that was dismantled by the former manager. Hamann, Hyypia and Gerrard was captain to their national team. Not to mention the ever vocal Carragher. We had a team full of natural leaders, those that can rally up their teammates when the chips are down. That might be the one thing that we don't have which we needed most now.

11. Dortmund fan

Was it expensive?

12. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

The ticket was £42 through proper channels.

13. Robbie9F

Robbie9F New Member

hey guys I just registered here and the first thing I have to do is to ask for tickets:-). I'm a long time follower from frezzy Austria and I'm planning to visit Anfield for the first time with a friend of mine (a fellow Dortmund supporter).
    Is there any chance for ordinary people to get tickets around 100 pounds/each? (I'm begging for 2 tickets:-)

Thx a lot for your help/advise!!!

14. Kinny Riddle

Kinny Riddle TIA New Signing

Sevilla and Bilbao match now at penalties after 3-3 in aggregate with no away goal advantages.

We will be joining Shakhtar and Villarreal and the winner of this PK shootout in the semis.

15. Kinny Riddle

Kinny Riddle TIA New Signing

Sevilla edges out Bilbao.

As fellow 3-time winners (or was it 4-time?) of the UEFA Cup/Europa League, they will be the team to beat. I have a feeling we'll eventually cross paths, either in the semis or all the way to the final.

16. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

I suspect - at this moment in time - all the other three teams are desperately hoping they avoid us in the semi final.

What a turnaround in profile and image since the start of the season.

17. lfc.eddie

Shaktar is going to be a dangerous team to play against. They are really good though.

18. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

You can see from some of the players around Europe on social media. This was big. This was a defining game, the kind you want to look back at the end of your career and remember. The kind that makes you think you can make big PL money, play for a great manager in front of a roaring crowd, and put your name in the history of the game.

Kanonkop likes this.
  19. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

All tough teams no one is easy but we put a statement out tonight, think I'd rather travel to Spain.

20. gingerbread

gingerbread TIA Squad Member

Yeah I rather will avoid Shaktar due to travelling. But face off Sevilla over 2 legged isn't bad as well. I think we have more chance winning Sevilla with 90 minutes at Anfield than playing just one game for final.

Best draw will be: we play Villareal, then meet Shaktar in the final where they lose their home ground advantage. We brush through them and win the cup

Worst draw (not by much): we play against Shaktar over 2 legs, then have to face Sevilla at the final

21. Dortmund fan

How did you know it last month already? :-)

22. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Yeah, I personally believe Dortmund are better than the entire PL, I wouldn't say anyone else left is, all will be tough games no doubt but if we can show the performances like we have generally over the last three months we will be a match for anyone.

The cup is far from our hands still but we still can dream, it's a rare feeling.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  23. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

I'd rather get Sevilla out of the way in the SF. Over two legs I think we'd have a great chance against them, especially at Anfield given how woeful their away record is this season. 1 away win in the league, 3 in total all season I believe. Wouldn't want to come up against that experience in a final.

24. ShadesOfRed

ShadesOfRed TIA Youth Team

Ha. Must be the only time one of my wild predictions came true and I wasn't even serious.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  25. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

So far in the knock out we've drawn badly - ManU & Dortmund. Shaktar would be worse due tot he travel. I'd rather meet them in the final
    But then, we take on all comers!

26. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

To be fair we did draw Augsburg who were pretty rank.

27. Bodger

Bodger Well-Known Member

would rather we draw villareal than either of the other 2- shakhtar are a very good side, plus there's a long journey. Sevilla are no mugs either

28. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Villarreal are ahead of Sevilla in the league, to be honest unlike the Quarters in which I really really didn't want a certain team (Who we got) you know whoever we draw at this stage will be tough it's really only about travel in my view.

We are 3 tough games away regardless but we were 5 a fortnight or so ago.

29. Rahul Patil

Rahul Patil Klopp FTW

i think this is rigged.. it will be us facing shakhtar and another all spanish semi final affair!!

Hope I am wrong here!

30. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Pretty relaxed about this. Trip to Ukraine could be a bit of a grind, but we've just knocked out the favourites and need not fear any of the others left in the draw. They'll all be tough games, for sure, but winnable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.