Europa League 2015/16

Discussion in 'European Football' started by Nikola, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

If you fellas want high scoring entertaining game, Villareal is the key. Why? Because we had to go through the same ordeal with Norwich as we did with Dortmund, and both plays in yellow! lol

If the Olympiakos game is the key that inspired Gerrard to push on in the Champs League in 2005, this Dortmund game should be the one that inspire Coutinho to push on in Europa League. Remember what Gerrard did after he scored against AC Milan? Exactly the same thing Coutinho did after he scored our second last night....

2. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Hand in a transfer request?

Limiescouse and Ataturk like this.
  3. kotsebotse

kotsebotse TIA New Signing

Villareal

4. lfc.eddie

This summer maybe.... but during the game you can't do that mate.... :-)

Oh shit, I called it!

Villareal at home is tough to play against, they had a very decent. They have only lost 2 games and drew 3. They have won 12 at home. So for us to travel there first I would hope to see our boys played like how they did against Dortmund in Westfalonstadion. They however don't travel too well, except for last night of course, 5 wins out of 15 games, drew 6 and lost 4.

Our record at home however not too good either, with 6 wins, 6 draws and 3 losses, in our 15 games played. But our travels are all about go big or go home, with 7 wins and 6 losses, only 3 draws, suggest we don't defend very well away from home.

Villareal defence for a Spanish side is very tight indeed. Second best defensive record behind Atletico Madrid with 26 goals conceded in 32 games played. Bloody miser at home with only 10 goals conceded in the 15 league games played in El Madrigal. Our strikers need to be on form on the day.

There are no easy teams anymore, and I think Shaktar is the strongest of the lot left in the competition.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  5. lightdrizzle

lightdrizzle TIA Reserve Team

Villarreal v Liverpool

2nd leg at home

6. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

It's Villareal for us. A good draw, as Shaktar and Sevilla are probably the remaining strongest teams, but Villareal will certainly not be an easy affair. Very much looking forwards to it!

7. Zinedine Biscan

That's probably the best draw we could have hoped for.

Kind of hoping Shakhtar knock Sevilla out... with their recent record in the competition they could have a bit of extra belief going into the final.

8. Bodger

Bodger Well-Known Member

happy with that draw, definitely the better outcome for us than sevilla/shakhtar. 2nd leg at anfield again. Exciting times ahead redmen!

9. Sound as a Pound

Sound as a Pound TIA Midfield General

potential home team in final too - nice draw

10. kotsebotse

I think this is the worst draw for us. Villareal are 4th in Spain after the big three and play better than Sevilla in La Liga. I think they are better than Shakhtar as well.

Walter Sobchak and lfc.eddie like this.
  11. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

That's ok, probably prefer Sevilla but we don't travel to Ukraine which is the worry I had.

The other good thing is Spain also have midweek games this next week, Villarreal are still very much in the race for CL in Spain and the Spanish winter break was only 9 days compared to our 5 days so in terms of rest it shouldn't really matter.

Villarreal also play the Sunday at 7.30 the week before our tie while we are at home to Newcastle the day before at 3pm.

No easy games at this stage but playing at home in the second leg is a good thing and after all we just beat Dortmund over two legs.

12. Zinedine Biscan

Think for Sevilla, going for a third straight win in this competition, domestic form probably goes out of the window a bit. Despite where they sit in the league, think as far as the EL goes they're probably the team to beat.

I know very little about Villareal these days, though. Who are their key players?

13. lfc.eddie

Let's get through Villareal first, that yellow team isn't easy to deal with at their own turf. Their defence are mighty tight, so let's not get ahead by thinking the finals is as good as ours. As for Shaktar vs Sevilla, if we did get through, I would rather meet Sevilla as they have the experience and would probably be the favourite. They might have that certain swagger in them, and that arrogance is what we need to see from their side. Remember AC Milan thinking they are too strong for us? We thrive as under dog.

14. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

Good draw. First leg away is excellent. I wanted to avoid Shakhtar, simply because they tend to be very good. Haven't seen them this season though.

From a sporting perspective, I don't think there is much difference between Sevilla and Villarreal. Really good teams - but not quite as good as Dortmund.

15. Dutch

Dutch Active Member Valued Member

Best possible draw for us + an away game first.

16. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

Yes Yes Yes, it's all falling into place now!!!!

17. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Fuck.

a) I hate playing away first, and

b) Villarreal are the best team left in the competition who aren't called Liverpool.

If we get to the final we will have bloody well earned the right to be there after going United, Dortmund, Villarreal.

POBox likes this.
  18. gingerbread

gingerbread TIA Squad Member

There is no easy team left, so at least we can avoid travelling to Shakhtar

Villarreal sounded like troublesome with their defense record. But Dortmund had pretty good defense record too. And we always play better against difficult opponents so that is another plus

19. kotsebotse

Good point about Sevilla, apparently they play better in the EL after winning it twice in a row than in La Liga, I would still have preferred them over Villareal though.

About their key players - they look quite good defensively (Mario Gaspar, Musacchio etc). Their forward Bakambu (just checked it and he has 1 in 2 record this year which includes 9 goals in 11 games in Europe) looks quite good, I also like Denis Suarez (I think he's loaned from Barcelona?). They also have Soldado who started the season well, but lost form again and currently is not a starter I think.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  20. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

The draw was always going to be difficult, the remaining sides are of similar quality but I did want us to avoid the long trip to Ukraine. I heard that Villareal's defence is very strong, though, sort of Atletico-lite, so they will pose a big test (and we always do poorly against Spanish sides who are not Real or Barca, by the way). I'm worried about the state of our midfield as Henderson is out for the season and Can could join him but at least our lads won't have to endure a long, excruciating trip.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  21. Hope in your heart

The midfield issue could define our season indeed. Without Can and Henderson, we'll have to rely on Lucas and Allen for the rest of the season among the established first squad players. That's not great, and will probably force Klopp to play Milner in the centre of the pitch, which would be a pity, as he has been excellent this season when pushed out wide.

Or maybe we'll see the youngsters make a name for themselves (Stewart, Rossiter, Brannagan)? Either way, hopefully it's only a minor knock for Emre, fingers crossed!

22. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

In the Club World Rankings, Sevilla are 4th ranked (just ahead of BVB), while Villarreal are 9th, Skakthar 20+ ....and LFC are 37th currently, so so much for LFC being automatic favourites for EL and the automatic CL slot. It would be nice to see it happen, but nothing is automatic with LFC.

A very tough Semi awaits us against a very in-form team, in Villarreal. Even Klopp wants nothing to do with any premature celebration stuff.

Emre Can looks likely to miss serious games with his ankle, while Hendo is also out long term. Stewie cannot play EL as not on the A-list, but Lucas can very easily play the base of the Diamond stuff, with Allen and Milner shuttling then. That should be no problem at all for us, also no real hit in quality either. You might gain in some areas, maybe lose in others, but net effect is very OK. Klopp can also use the 4-3-3 (point backwards stuff) with the very same players too, to instead get an extra attacker on-board in any one game.

It shouldn't matter so much for our chances. Our chances to beat Villarreal is maybe 60/40 at best under any scenario, as they are seriously good at football. This is no walk in the park match and a free ride to Basel and the Final of EL. Villarreal are a very serious opponent, one to be treated with much needed respect.

23. lfc.eddie

My concern is going forward with the central midfield we have today if we were without Can. He does those rampaging runs through the centre, at times can be extremely annoying when he lose possession because he doesn't know when to pass, but when it comes off you can see it in the Dortmund's game, the pass for Origi was inch perfect. That is my concern if we were to play Lucas to replace him. Lucas don't do that, and sits back, pass the ball around a lot more than taking the ball up. We will be struggling to get out of our own half and try to make things happen when the chips are down. If we go with Allen to take over, we will then lose the physical presence of Can. I hope he get fixed up and take some pain-killers to get us through the finish line. I don't think we missed Henderson as much as we will miss Can right now.

24. Hope in your heart

Well my concern is mainly that Lucas and Allen aren't precisely sure-fire guarantees to remain fit until the end of the season, especially if they have to play in many games from now on... @cardiffpete, Stewart can't play in the EL? That's annoying to say the least...

lfc.eddie likes this.
  25. lfc.eddie

Actually there is no news yet about Can's injury, some says ankle and some going for foot injury. So let's wait and see how it goes. I have a strange feeling this boy would want to come back and play in the semis after such a hard fought quarters.

Villareal's former player, Senna said it is going to be very tough for them to play at Anfield and they will need to win at home to get a chance to go through to finals. They are now banking on their home game because they felt they might get intimidated by our crowd at Anfield. If so, I hope Klopp made our boys play like how we did against Dortmund away, keep it close and come home with a draw, with or without away goals. Then let the crowd do their work by shaking these guys up when they come visit Anfield.

It's been years since I am so excited at a European competition, nearly a decade ago I think.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  26. Hope in your heart

Or... he sets them up for a counter-attacking feast, as spaces will open up massively if Villarreal indeed want to put the tie to bed in the first leg... stay tight, and then unleash balls in the open space. That could be a great opportunity for our lads to take a decisive advantage... ;-)

27. lfc.8

lfc.8 Well-Known Member

Stating the obvious but I sure hope we win this competition. We're not that far away now being in the semi's and there's no team we can't beat either. As long as we perform.

While it won't be easy or exactly straight forward I certainly expect us to win. With champions league on offer, as well as the money, it certainly adds to the importance of it. This would also be a nice way to finish the season and look ahead to the next.

28. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Sevilla have lost their first choice LB, Tremoulinas for the rest of the season. Krohn-Dehli also picked up and injury two fixtures ago and will too miss the final.

GreenRedGreen likes this.
  29. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Konoplyanka pulled out of training today with a lot of pain, we'll see if he's available or not.

Sevilla might look like this I guess: Rico, Coke, Rami, Kolodziejczak, Escudero, Krychowiak, N'Zonzi, Vitolo, Banega, Konoplyanka, Gameiro.

Not sure if Reyes will be fit.

30. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

Is that the ex Stoke nzonzi?

Also, just learnt today these guys have barca in the Copa del rey.....dies that mess with them a bit?...not sure, but it's a distraction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.