Europa League 2016/17

Discussion in 'European Football' started by Nikola, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Joe Ware

Joe Ware Well-Known Member

After they have fallen to mid table insignificance or worse in the PL first of course!

2. treboeth

treboeth Well-Known Member

be nice to see them get a semi then total disappointment ;-)

3. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I'm relaxed with Man Utd getting to the last 16, I wouldn't want them to go much further.

I did at least want it to go to 6 games and it will though they only need a draw to go through. Hopefully Spurs await them in the Last 16.

I'm happy that UEFA changed the rules over the top 4, so we need not to worry anymore about teams going far. Though us and Man City would have helped that last season if it was the case.

4. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

It is confirmed, Mane had just broken Spurs. They are struggling to contain Gent.

5. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Not watching it, but looking at the text feed from time to time - how serious is Kane's injury?

6. lfc.eddie

@Arminius, Kane played all the way through. Not serious, would not even call it an injury, proper.

Even in Europe United is getting all the calls. Ibrahimovic dive gets them a freekick which he scored, and Blind tripped a player in the box was waved on. Both incident the officials are about 5 yards or so away. Unbelievable.

7. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

I dont know what the ref thinks he saw to not give that as a pen. The only way I could see that not given is if he decided it was a foul on Blind in the first place, but that isnt what he said. Bizarre stuff.

8. lfc.eddie

Exactly, not like it happened at lightning speed. Blind stuck his leg out when he was down, and far too obvious not to give a penalty. Then you have Ibrahimovic coming together with the other player, and he was right there looking at it, and he called for it. If that wasn't being biased I don't know what is.

Pecl likes this.
  9. Rambler

Rambler Bootle Boy

The name St Etienne, with those green shirts, still gives me goose pimples. The greatest atmosphere I ever experienced at a football match was that game at Anfield....Will remember that till I die. I watched it on YouTube a while back...And I was 25 again.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Kopstar, lfc.eddie and Scott Jones like this.
  10. Bino the Original

Bino the Original Member

Really hope Perrin is ok here... that was reminiscient of Mason incidient.

11. Limiescouse

I hate those incidents. I dont get why they are just waived away. If that was a challenge on the ground and Smalling launched himself into the challenge like that, got there a clear second and as a result clattered the defender like that he would be off. When it's a header the danger is greater and yet it's just waved away as not even a foul.

12. redalways

redalways TIA Regular

Wasn't that foul that Pogba just got a yellow for exactly what Markovic got a red for back then?

13. Rambler

Rambler Bootle Boy

That was superb drive into the penalty area by Rashford..

14. Bino the Original

Bino the Original Member

Saint etienne are a shit team.

And zlatan is annoying..please just go somewhere else in summer.

15. lfc.eddie

The good thing is, United will probably qualify for last 16 and as the season closes they may need to put more effort in this cup. Hope Mourinho don't pull out a rabbit from his hat in this competition. Let them get to quarter or semis and dropped out. They will probably be too tired to mount any challenge in the league.

16. Bino the Original

Bino the Original Member

How good is Dzeko right now...28 goals for the season.

17. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Looking at the selection of clubs in last 32 of Europa League, is it just me or is it weaker than last year's?

lfc.eddie likes this.
  18. Bino the Original

Bino the Original Member

It's more or less the same names for me.

How often do you see the likes of Ajax Schalke Lyon Spurs Utd Zenit Anderletch Fiorentina Olimpakos Roma Villarreal Bilbao Fenerbache Besiktas as this stage.

19. Limiescouse

1-0 would have been nice though as it would have required them to take the second leg seriously. They now get to focus on the other games around the second leg and send a reduced side to France if they choose to. There is no way that should have been a 3 goal margin.

20. Bino the Original

Bino the Original Member

21. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

So Manchester United win 3-0 and appear to be through. They go to France virtually certain of progressing. 2 more matches for them before they crash out in the semi finals.

6th place looks good for them

eng.amohd and lfc.eddie like this.
  22. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

I am happy they are progressing on hopes they get a team 1000+ miles away. Russia seems a particularly nice destination :-)

Spurs and Utd are very lucky getting Belgium and France clubs respectively.

23. lfc.eddie

Having looked at who else is left in the competition, there are only 2 teams that will make United travel a little bit further than they would have liked. Shakhtar and Rostov. They both will definitely qualify. The teams that could take United on isn't a lot and I think @Nikola mentioned that this year doesn't seem to have a bunch of strong team for United to overcome. Atletico Bilbao not really that great of a team, the Russian side could make it tough but probably lose it at Old Trafford and that left Roma as their toughest rival in the competition. If by the next month Juventus pulled away and starting to open up a bigger gap than 10 points, then I think Roma may push for this one.

I want them to stay in the competition long enough to distract their league pursuit, and not wanting them to win it.

eng.amohd likes this.
  24. redaderry

redaderry Well-Known Member

The corporates want Man United in the CL. They will be there next year by either route.

Pecl likes this.
  25. Nikola

Quick one: if Man United win Europa League and we finish fifth in league, do we qualify for Champions League?

26. Limiescouse

27. lfc.eddie

No because they finish 6th? :-)

28. Nikola

Stop bloody jinxing it! :D

lfc.eddie likes this.
  29. Bino the Original

Bino the Original Member

Saint etienne are 1 bloody poor side.

30. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

They were down 4-0 to start this leg, I don't think they were fielding anything close to their best side. In classic treadmill fashion, they are more concerned with catching 4th in Ligue 1 so they can do this again next year.

Mind you, ManU doing about the same