Europa League 2016/17

Discussion in 'European Football' started by Nikola, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Well that was a pretty poor European campaign by Spurs.

Hopefully we can react much better with more strength in depth than them (need a good transfer window of course) next season if we're in it.

2. El Dorado

El Dorado Well-Known Member

What? Mauricio the Great fails again? I wonder what's his level. Let's see:

2013/2014: finishes second in the League. Third next season in UCL Group, crashes out in first EL tie to an inferior side. Oh, after losing his two most offensive weapons, adding a mad Italian and coping with an aging legend.

2015/2016: finishes (read: backs in to) third in the League. Third next season in UCL Group, crashes out in first EL tie to an inferior side. Lost no one of note and added Sissoko and Wanayama.

One of these managers seems destined to manage Barcelona lol:celebrating::yawn::tongue:!!! Which is it? :think::?:

3. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

It's really quite remarkable that they can have been so bad and still remained in the competition this late in the year.

4. StrongINTheAir

StrongINTheAir The voice of reason

I was hoping Spurs could've made it to the semis. Continue the distraction and give the PL some UEFA points

5. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

This is opening up rather nicely for Mourinho, a lot of strong teams have gone out early. I wanted Tottenham to remain in the competition, so it could distract them from the league (they don't have a squad that is as big as Man United's, for example) but hey...

6. Nikola

Celta Vigo v FC Krasnodar
    Apoel v Anderlecht
    Schalke 04 v Borussia M’Gladbach
    Lyon v Roma
    Rostov v Manchester United
    Olympiacos v Besiktas
    Gent v Genk
    FC Copenhagen v Ajax

Man United are winning Europa League, aren't they?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  7. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

That list confuses me. How many ties are there meant to be?

8. Nikola

My bad, I don't know how I managed to copy the wrong pairs. It's correct now.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  9. Zoran

Not a bad chance, especially as 2 of Schalke, Gladbach, Lyon and Roma will go out so early.

Decent chance for them to level with us on 44 major trophies and potentially go one or two ahead if they win the League Cup + something else.

10. Limiescouse

Aye, but a trip to Rostov. That's nice for them. The fixtures around this tie are not as bad as they could have been, but it's still one of the worst, if not the very worst trip for them.

Livvy likes this.
  11. boston red

boston red Show me the Mane.

Ali such a dog what a horrible tackle,
    knew what he was doing exactly.
    The slow motion is to see.:shocked:

Livvy likes this.
  12. Bino the Original

Bino the Original Member

Roma.

rupzzz likes this.
  13. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

If they keep progressing, can they keep everyone fit to battle on both fronts, top 4 and Europa or are they going to lump all their eggs in the Europa basket? That's the question they now have to look at. Just like us last season, they will need to juggle their ageing group of players. I think their squad is going to be stretched.

14. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

I hope Celta Vigo wins it beating Man utd in the final with Aspas as the matchwinner.

Pecl likes this.
  15. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Roma wins EL.

16. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

17. Limiescouse

It's a reasonable comment from Jose. I mean, if you cant expect pristine grass in Russia the first week of March what can you expect?

18. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Whenever I look at what's happening with United (Ibra, EL commitments etc) and Arsenal, I'm left thinking about how it looks like having a knock-on effect on their league form, and how that should benefit us.

I don't like it. Everything is shaping up too well.

Burnley is going to be a disaster, isn't it?

lfc.eddie and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  19. Limiescouse

I watched highlights of the Olympiacos vs Besiktas game last night as it was like an alternative universe version of us - an attacked powered by the might of Ryan Babel and Ricardo Quaresma. They were glorious.

Nikola likes this.
  20. Zoran

I get a headache only by hearing their names. lol

21. LFC-Orlando

LFC-Orlando TIA First Team

It's a "given" Manchester United will win the league, according to all the British pundits. Somethings never change.

I don't care how less tired they'll be if they exit the EL next week. I hope they get eliminated soon.

Libero likes this.
  22. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

I've bet on Ajax to win it (at 40/1 stuff) much earlier in the season.

Ajax already last 16 and playing in a very structured way too. No departure under coach Bosz from the base 4-3-3 (1-2 midfield). A bit like Klopp here except even more principled in his team picks. No chance of any Emre Can type (fill-in CM guy) to ever get a game. It's just go-or-bust for him here.

Even without his superstar shuttler (and Captain) in Davy Klaassen tonight, he does not even think about recalling Riedewald here (a full international too) in any stop-gap role. Instead he will play (and has done so tonight) 3 kids instead, to just better play the better role-based 4-3-3 (1-2) stuff. I do like that a lot aka no compromises to any reputations and just one-on-one slot adjustments to missing players for any one game.

Bosz (for ajax now) also plays the game 100% the "right way" too. A very outside bet for EL this season, but a far better bet than ManU (me thinks). Lyon also very HQ too. Only the British media have ManU as tournament favorites here ;-)

Livvy likes this.
  23. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

That is Pogba out for at least a month I would guess, and Blind won't be playing this weekend.

24. Nikola

It could be a blessing in disguise for both Pogba and Man United given his erratic form. Mourinho will probably give either Mkhitaryan or Mata the central role now (probably the former). Still, their squad should come under further strain but I feel so uneasy with them edging closer and closer to winning it, especially as they virtually have no serious competition left.

redalways likes this.
  25. LFC-Orlando

LFC-Orlando TIA First Team

yeah...it figures.....compare their likely opponents to who we faced in the quarter, semi and final last year: Dortmund, then Villareal and then Sevilla in the final....

I still say they'll fuck this up

26. lfc.eddie

This is United's trophy to lose?

27. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

Lyon, Ajax and Celta Vigo are my favorites to win it this year. United gonna crash and burn.

28. lfc.eddie

Doubt it. If they get through to the finals, they will win it. It all comes down to next draw for them. Lyon was quite lucky in their last game against Roma.

29. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

I kinda hope United draw Lyon cause I think they can cause an upset. Lyon are much stronger than you give them credit for. Roma no pushover this year and luck often determine these knock out rounds anyways. United is not the force they should be when a team like Rostov give them such troubles. obviously if United hit top level they are huge favorites but they often don't as we seen in PL too. if the games collide with important fixtures in PL then that will work in their opponent favor aswell.

30. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Anderlecht.

FFS.