EX MANAGER - Brendan Rodgers

Discussion in 'Ex Reds' started by i_still_miss_fowler, Jun 2, 2015.

1. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

@El Dorado you expect his ex wife to stay at home sobbing while he went to them Spanish beach with his new chick? :well done:

2. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

What is this coronation street,wasn't there a soap opera called Eldorado.;-)

3. StrongINTheAir

StrongINTheAir The voice of reason

Is this in the Emperor Trump thread?
    No, you'd be sure then

4. StrongINTheAir

StrongINTheAir The voice of reason

Who got to keep the painting?

5. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Rodgers was only keen on players who played well against us or ones he knew so I doubt he was vetoed on Van Dijk.

After spending 32m on a striker he seemed not able to get to work he bemoaned that Sturridge was injured and he needed more tools.

They promptly sacked him and the current manager seems to be at least getting us goals with the same tools with the odd addition for the exact same money they spunked on Beneteke. If Rodgers had been keen on a Mane type player he might be here still but Beneteke was all his, you could tell.

lfc.eddie and Dave-D like this.
  6. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

lfc.eddie and Limiescouse like this.
  7. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Iago Aspas.
    Lazar Markovic.
    Alberto Moreno.
    Tiago Ilori.

That is the talent level that Rodgers spunked the Suarez money on, for his first season in CL. Madrid comes to town, benches his captain.

The guy was a idiot fraud. £300mil in players in 3 seasons, accomplished sweet fuck all. 2nd place was a fun one but he was riding coattails. I give him little credit for that one.

8. lfc.eddie

Ilori and Aspas was bought while we still have Suarez mate. His biggest splurged was on Lovren and Lallana after the departure of Suarez, and he didn't even know how to use the both of them properly.

9. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

Mario and Benteke both were outstanding purchases although Lambert was a good man with character a wonderful way to disburse the Suarez windfall, can't let betty's boot boys (HMRC) have their share.

We can all be satsfied that our expenditure saved Southampton from the turmoil of having fans expectancy levels raised.

Nah Brendan shared our windfall so well, he did the same with Sterling's windfall too.

Villa were so happy to get 32m from us.

Scott Jones, Lowton_Red and lfc.eddie like this.
  10. Bino the Original

Bino the Original Member

Don't forget the Mig!!

Scott Jones and OLDIE like this.
  11. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

The brain fart too !

Seville must have pissed themselves 12m for Moreno

12. Bino the Original

Bino the Original Member

Semmy mentioned him already.

Possibly the most unintelligent player ever...remember the pen he gave away against Norwich? lol

13. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

It's well documented I dislike the tanned white teethed one.. But let's not re-write history, all of those were committee signings through and through. In fact Rodgers wanted Williams, Bertrand, Bony etc. Arguably far better players and would be starting under Klopp (Bony not so much...)

Benteke was probably the worst signing on his tenure, as Rodgers had zero idea how to play him and it went completely against everything he'd tried to build prior.. Was a manic last crazy throw of the dice when you've just bet your house, car and wife..

14. Semmy

How could anything be worse than Balotelli?

We all wished he wouldn't turn out to be a fucking moron, but in reality we found out no matter what the shine you put in a rubber turd, it's still shit

15. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

And whose fault was that signing? Primarily the TC.. Rodgers got the options of Balotelli or Eto.. Not the most appealing of choices..

16. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

Klopp was told he could sign Traore, Klopp passed on the deal. It was not a good deal so we walked.

Brendan chose to do a deal for Mario, irrespective of whether it was a good deal. Indeed not 2 weeks earlier Brendan announced to the world that Balotelli would never play for Liverpool.

If a deal is bad then its bad - no matter the options

lfc.eddie and Hope in your heart like this.
  17. pottymonster

pottymonster I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

If we had bought no one, everyone would have whined.
    So we bought Balotelli, the best of a few bad options, and everyone whined.
    Lose/lose situation for Brendan.

The next summer, he probably should have been fired at the end of the season but the preferred replacement wasn't available then.
    So ownership could have fired him anyway like everyone wanted and we could have Frank De Boer as our manager... Everyone would have whined that we didn't get Klopp... who wasn't available.
    So they persisted with Brendan, and rather than just hang him out to dry and not buy anybody that summer, or buy a bunch of players he didn't want and be accused of not backing the manager (and having people whine at them), they let him buy who he thought he needed to be successful. At the time, some people whined, some people didn't.
    It then turned out that Benteke was obviously not going to work... so everybody whined.

Finally, their preferred replacement was available and Rodgers had failed to turn things around, people for once did not whine.

Now Rodgers doesn't even work for us, but everybody keeps on trashing him. He's gone and done something that everybody knocked him for not having done before: won a trophy. He'll win a few more before his time with Celtic is over, but everyone will say they don't count because it was only Scotland. The goalposts will be moved.

People need to stop it already. Sure, he might have been a little too full of himself considering he had accomplished nothing until he landed the job with us, but now he's accomplished something. He can point to a trophy and at the end of the season will be able to point to a couple more. He will have earned the right to do that.

Y'all need to let go. He wasn't Uncle Roy or Tom Hicks. He did a heck of a lot better than either of those groups. In the end he failed, but at one point he nearly got it done. Let's try to be positive!

18. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

It isn't just us who believe that trophies won by Celtic in Scotland count for very little. Ask Neil Lennon or Ronny Deila how much they put you in contention for the top jobs once they leave.

The bigger point about silverware is that it's supposed to demonstrate that a manager has the necessary nous to know how to deal with the stresses and strains of a campaign and hopefully be able to call on that experience to do so again. I don't personally believe he'll have gained any of that through doing so in a one team league.

Dave-D, lfc.eddie and redbj like this.
  19. Semmy

He's gone.

That's positive.

20. lfc.eddie

Would you like to comment on below success?

Managerial honours
    Halmstads BK
    Örebro SK
    Malmö FF
    Inter Milan
    Copenhagen
    Fulham
    Isn't that impressive as a manager? 5 back to back titles with two doubles to boot. Has a total of 7 league titles, and compare the above list to the one below

Managerial honours
    Borussia Dortmund
    Surely we would have clamoured on the one above and wish he would be our manager for many, many, years to come if the league they manage means nothing as long as they won trophies? No?

eng.amohd likes this.
  21. Dane

Dane IN SUPPORT

Neither Roy or Brendan got enough time for their world classness to shine through.

Shame on you lot.

lfc.eddie, Scott Jones and eng.amohd like this.
  22. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

Do you hate BR that much? To mention his name in the same sentence together with him :((

23. Dane

Dane IN SUPPORT

You're right, I apologise.

Roy has won much more that Brendan :-)

24. El Dorado

El Dorado Well-Known Member

Roy must have been a decent manager, especially in younger days, to be able to command important jobs all over Europe, maybe not at top top clubs, but it's not a bad resume. He's basically retirement age by the time he gets to Liverpool.

BR's 25 years younger than Roy so plenty of time for him to add to his honors.....or fade away into mediocrity. I'm betting on the former. I don't think he's as interested in racking up Scottish titles as he is building his reputation in European competition. He surely did himself no harm with Celtic's Champion's League effort this year.

I'm looking forward to Jurgen Klopp putting more distance between himself and Roy Hodgson with some silverware at Liverpool. I'm not greedy. One league title and one Champion's League trophy will do. Yes, and denying Jose Mourinho more silverware on the way would be just fine.

25. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

What important jobs? He spent time in the nordic countries at times when they were a footballing backwater and barely even professional. The Inter Milan job was a bizarre leap his track record did not justify, and that was played out by his performance there.

Wyld@Heart and lfc.eddie like this.
  26. lfc.eddie

It's the quality that counts, not the quantity. That's the point to my post. Roy Hodgson may have won a lot at Sweden and Denmark, but that's all there is. Same goes for Rodgers with his Celtics. Roy was shit.... and is still shit.

27. El Dorado

El Dorado Well-Known Member

Wasn't Hodgson 2010 LMA Manager of the Year? Was it his work at Fulham that got him the Liverpool job? I wasn't watching them, and I'm not here to defend him, as he didn't really impress me as England manager.

28. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Yeah, he stabilized Fulham from perennial relegation candidates to a surprisingly entertaining side that finished high enough to claim a EL spot and then made the final the following year. It was on the back of that that we hired him. After us he went to West Brom and stabilized them the same way he had Fulham and that was what springboarded him to the England job.

Hope in your heart and El Dorado like this.
  29. lfc.eddie

He didn't impressed me as a manager. Most Liverpool fans would like to forget that 3 months he's been with us.

30. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

I saw Hodgson purely as a guy to steady the ship whilst the club was being sold. A rather uninspiring, underwhelming choice but one who'd have us tracking along in somewhere around 6th. Meh, basically.

Unfortunately he was not even capable of making sure we tracked along the mean. He was woeful and what's worse he blamed the fans. It wasn't just that his methods obviously didn't translate but the fact he was trying to kid the fan base that we were actually on an upwards curve and were just being a bit unlucky when everyone could see we were playing like total shit.

I can't remember being more delighted at the sacking of a Liverpool manager and I include Rodgers in that.