EX PLAYER - Steven Gerrard

Discussion in 'Ex Reds' started by ubermick, Nov 4, 2015.

1. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

I think the game is 3 days after our last game of the season. The coaching staff could have wanted to protect the players. I won't be surprised if we see those 4 + all kids. No first teamer.

redbj, Scott Jones and lfc.eddie like this.
  2. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Don't know which idiot schedule games at the other end of the world after 3 days of the end of the season. I just can't see them telling the players to cancel their holiday just to go play for us in one of those tour.

3. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Punishment for not staying fit and winning the league!! :well done:

redbj and lfc.eddie like this.
  4. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

Agree, seems bananas.

I assume Klopp is coming......give the guy a break.

As bad as a promotional pr driven pre season tour is...at the very least, it's a preseason.

3 days after the last game of the season seems just so irresponsible.

In fact, they shouldn't even be calling it LFC....should they?...from a moral point of view?....technically it is correct, but it's very misleading, does the club really want to be associated with such gimmickry?

redfanman and lfc.eddie like this.
  5. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

@redbj I don't think the Sydneysiders will notice mate!

The NSW state government would have thrown a heap of cash at LFC given the success of the Vic, QLD and SA games in recent years, an offer too good to refuse.

Livvy likes this.
  6. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

@redbj,
    Are you going to go and see this match?

7. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

redbj is in Melbourne I do believe Maria, however amongst others I think @spizfromoz is in Sydney?

redfanman and Maria like this.
  8. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Imo this trip is a "kind of compromise" for everyone involved. Klopp can make his presaison without much travelling ... but ...they'll have to do this first.

If it helps "to add some extra money" for a good transfer window then so be it ;-)

Maria likes this.
  9. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I was wondering if he would go down to Sydney. Are you in Australia too ? I hope some of the the Australian and New Zealand TIA contingent get to go and see the match, it would be nice to get an update on that part of the tour.:-)

redfanman and Clive like this.
  10. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Yes however I'm up in Queensland. I travelled down for the Melbourne game a few years ago, I'd like to do the same here but it's reasonably short notice. Also my wife is getting her appendix out on the Monday which would make travelling interstate very difficult for the match on the Wednesday.

Another thing is that this game is at the cavernous Olympic stadium which is some way out of town and not the best atmosphere wise ( certainly cf The MCG or Lang Park here in Brisbane).

Maria likes this.
  11. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I saw the Melborne match on youtube, I heard the rendition of YNWA and apparently it is the best version sung by fans outside of Anfield. Good luck with the wife's operation. I hope you get to go to the match somehow.

Clive likes this.
  12. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

Nah....need a better reason than LFC TO GO THERE.......I jest.

Nah, I won't go, I went to the Melb game, ime intending on going to the UK next year....and any spare minute I get off, the kids are the priority.

Spiz is of Greek heritage....so it's a lock he's from Melbourne....( my wife is of Greek heritage too....second biggest Greek community outside of Athens I believe....or is it after thesonaliki....whatever...there's heaps of Greeks here....

Clive likes this.
  13. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Speaking of @spizfromoz, haven't seen him around for donkey years....

14. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Confirmed as U18s manager:

Steven Gerrard insists judgment should be reserved on his attributes as a coach until his tactical decisions, his leadership from the sidelines and his mistakes have been thoroughly examined. That will come next season as manager of Liverpool Under-18s, where judgment on what is required has already been made. “There is a showboating mentality through academies,” claims Gerrard. “My teams will be physical.”

The first of what Gerrard hopes will be several managerial steps at Liverpool was confirmed on Thursday with a fixed role with the under-18s. The current under‑18s manager, Neil Critchley, will lead the under-23s next season, with Mike Garrity – who has been in the post since Michael Beale moved to São Paulo in December – becoming part of Critchley’s backroom team. Both have been shadowed by the former Liverpool and England captain since he returned to the club in February.

The academy director, Alex Inglethorpe, made the appointments in consultation with Jürgen Klopp, who has been closely involved in Gerrard’s transition from star captain to coach of starry-eyed youngsters. “Jürgen’s been the key behind all this,” acknowledges the 36-year-old, who will be assisted by the current under-13s coach, Tom Culshaw, and the rehab fitness coach Jordan Milsom. It was the Liverpool manager’s idea to give Gerrard an initial floating role across all academy age groups and, impressed by the hours and the work put in, considers the fledgling coach ready for the next, more challenging step.

More:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...rard-showboating-academies-physical-liverpool

Hope in your heart and geebo like this.
  15. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Interesting, he speaks about young players needing to showboat less, to step out of their comfort zones, to be mentally tougher, to be physically tougher... Minus the showboating aspect, all these could be attributed to a lot of his former Liverpool teammates, so I wonder if that's an old mark left on him speaking. It's interesting to see him recognise mindset and channeling aggression as most important aspects of coaching at the beginning of his career, I wonder how that shapes up in the future and how that rubs off on his players over the next year or two. Those were two of his key qualities as a player, if he manages to transfer some of that to his young proteges, he will have done well in his new role.

16. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I think it all sounds very positive. Let's be honest, if we're looking for someone who knows first-hand what it takes for youngsters to make the step up to senior football, we couldn't do much better.

17. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Sounds like he's spent too long watching Tony Pullis.. ;-)

18. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Being a Liverpool fan, I'm not happy that Carra doesn't want to get into coaching but I respect his decision. I just feel he could pass an awful lot of experience to kids, especially being someone "out of place" in terms of footballing ability, unlike Gerrard. These two were single-minded about success, sounding almost obsessed when they talk about their football upbringing and desire to succeed. That needs to be imprinted into young players' minds, regardless of their talent. In that way, I agree, we couldn't get anyone better, especially considering that local connection should be maintained.

Only if he starts signing kids taller than six feet. ;-)

Zinedine Biscan and Iluvatar like this.
  19. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Good soundbites from Gerrard there. Let's see if he can translate it to the youngsters. It will be an interesting development to follow.

And yeah, I wonder too why Carra doesn't want to take up a coaching role. Form the two, I always expected Carra to want to take on a managerial role, to be the more driven and obsessional one about football. But it seems that he's happier to do his sh.t at sky sports and cash in easy £££....