EX PLAYER - Xabi Alonso

Discussion in 'Ex Reds' started by lfc.eddie, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

What a class man and player our Xabi was (and still is). When you look at the guy's career achievements, its mind boggling. To think he can to us as a young lad from Sociadad.

My 10 year old lad wears #14 because I've shown him so many videos of Xabi. There's a great moment on the "one night in Istanbul" video where Carra explains why Xabi took that peno "such a great striker of a ball".

It could be argued that was the single most important penalty in LFC history, certainly in the last quarter century or so.

YNWA Xabi!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Everything has already been said in the previous posts. My favourite player as well. Whatever he does, he'll do it with his usual class and intelligence.

YNWA Xabi.

inaiq, Maria, RaoulDuke and 3 others like this.
  3. StrongINTheAir

StrongINTheAir The voice of reason

My 9 year old wears 14 as well and takes pens for his team

inaiq and Clive like this.
  4. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

Fantastic player and person (from what I've heard, don't know him of course)!

Whatever he does after this season, he'll do the right thing.
    One of only two bayern players I really like :-)

inaiq and Scott Jones like this.
  5. StrongINTheAir

That poses the question, who is the other?

6. RaoulDuke

Alaba.

inaiq likes this.
  7. StrongINTheAir

Not a single German?
    They do have a few non-Germans, but it seems to me they want the German national team as theirs

8. RaoulDuke

This is the wrong thread for this.
    But I'm not a big fan of the german national team ;-)
    I did like Schweini, seemed to be a nice bloke.
    But he's gone.

9. KCollins

KCollins Active Member

Awesome passer of the ball, fantastic person by all accounts, and widely respected by fans of every club he played for. His cupboard is teeming with medals to boot. What a career. Xabi is a class act in every sense.

10. StrongINTheAir

I have his autographed career honours Carlsberg shirt. I'm gonna get it framed now and place it next to my autographed Gerrard final season at LFC shirt. It'll be a beautiful pairing.

RaoulDuke and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  11. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

There is only one Xabi Alonso!!
    Since he left Liverpool, it was never the same at our club. My heart broke a little when he left. I still remember that penalty kick he took with his right foot and when the ball rebounded, he slammed it in with his left foot. What a midfielder, an elegant and intelligent individual and with a down to earth personality. He was truly missed when he left Anfield, he is still missed now and will always be missed on the pitch. My heart just got a little sadder after seeing the black and white picture and message he showed on his twitter feed.

Best of luck Xabi in your new adventures, come back to Anfield one day.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  12. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Pep said he will go for the managerial route, maybe he knows something from speaking closely to the player, not just admiring his interest and knowledge of the game. We shall see. Enjoy your time Xabi and hope to see you more often at Anfield close to our club.

13. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I'd be very surprised if Alonso didn't enter football management one day. Just looking at number of managerial cream of the crop he's worked with... Rafa, Del Bosque, Aragones, Pellegrini, Mourinho, Guardiola, Ancelotti - just being there and listening to them for more than a decade could turn anyone into a football manager! Joking aside, I struggle to think of players who have worked with more tactically astute and trophy winning managers. That kind of experience coupled with his overall intelligence and class... I hope Klopp has one eye on Alonso's future, it would be a shame to pass up on him, although I feel he is someone who would start on his own at some lower-placed club in Spain.

RaoulDuke, lfc.eddie and Wyld@Heart like this.
  14. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

FB_IMG_1489935069527.jpg

I miss him so much. He never wanted to leave. This is the biggest regret I have about Rafa.

15. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

There's an interesting discussion to be had about where his achievements stack up in the history of football. Other players have won more, but I think it counts for slightly less when it's all done with one club and at the club that defined the international side of that time, such as Beckenbauer in the 70s and Xavi more recently. His first CL win was for a team that shouldnt have won it. His International medals were won in a side that was defined by the Barca team of the period and despite him playing in the position that is hardest to integrate into that as a non-Barca player, he integrated seamlessly. That continued once he moved to Real despite how antogonistic that rivalry was at that time.

16. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

Maybe Xabi should have playerd better the season before Rafa tried to sell him. If he had played as good as he was after Rafa tried to sell him then IMO selling him wouldn't been an option for Rafa.

I think he got shocked that clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona didn't want him. There is a reason to why they didn't want him at that time. That got him thinking that he need to step up something both Gerrard and Xabi himself hinted at.

17. Libero

Libero Well-Known Member

Anyone potentially have a link to the interview they did on TAW ?

18. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Libero likes this.
  19. Zoran

20. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I saw another interesting article,which was discussed on the radio.
    Xabi Alonso was interviewed by The Times, where he made an interesting point, that football game is all about intelligence, not necessarily making physical tackles. Also, he said that the deep rooted mentality in the England National squad needs to change as well.
    Unfortunately, I cannot access the whole article as I do not subscribe to The Times, someone on here might be able to if they have full access to The Times.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...nd-but-the-mentality-is-buried-deep-0vl9b7s5s

inaiq likes this.
  21. Zoran

22. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "┬┐Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Alberto Lopez recalled that their Sociedad coach asked the players after finishing second who was the quickest player in the team, and the coach told them it was Xabi as he is the quickest to figure out what needs to be done on the pitch before he even set foot in there. The ball never on his feet for too long and always keep the ball moving and finding passes. Fucking hell... teary eye me has.

Seems like Pep Guardiola already made up his mind who he is going to get as his assistant and I can definitely see it. I can see Alonso sitting next to Pep come 2018/19 season. That can only be good for us because after learning and got his badges, he will be coming back to us. He will take over from Klopp in spite what Klopp thinks about Gerrard being his successor.

Bonus and The Elusive 19th like this.
  23. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

I've always just assumed he'll become a great manager.....obvious there is a ridiculous amount of hurdles to jump before then.....but...yknow.....as if it's not gonna happen.....

lfc.eddie likes this.
  24. KCollins

KCollins Active Member

Listen to the state of that speaking fluent German. As much as I love Xabi he's almost too perfect. He's like the Aussie rugby player John Eales who played in the scrum AND kicked goals and as a result was nicknamed "nobody"...as nobody's perfect.

Intelligent, great person, incredible player, bucket load of medals (two of them spectacular...first World Cup title for his country, and the greatest Champions League final ever). He's got the lot.

Perhaps the only flaw (and this is really nitpicking, to prove he is human after all) is that he didn't score enough goals when you consider how clean and accurate a striker of the ball he is. 60 yard pinpoint passes to a teammate not a problem...unlike finding the net. He played deeper so naturally he wouldnt have been in range of goal that often so he was never going to get that many, but the times he was within range he didn't see the net ripple too often. The only possible thing I can think off is that he maybe didn't strike the ball with sufficient power which resulted in the goalkeeper saving it..or that sometimes he would try to strike the ball that bit harder towards goal than he would naturally hit a pass which would see the ball go over the bar. The greatest midfielder I've ever seen, Xavi, wasn't fantastic in front of goal either, so Xabi is in good company.

Xabi is probably my favourite ever Liverpool player. Was never more devastated when a player left as nobody was more influential than he was in terms of the way the team functioned. The pivot, the link between defence and attack..the brains of the team. Receiving the ball from Carra and pinging it 40/50 yards upfield to feet. The tempo was all down to Xabi, the way we (he) dictated games, the control we had in games, the calm assurance. We lost all that when he left and we became very loose in midfield..didn't dictate/control games, his loss was catastrophic. Losing him is possibly the reason I've been seen as being too critical of Lucas (I don't rate Lucas one iota, but could be guilty of going over the top). The moment Xabi walked out the door we became average overnight. He was central to everything. Take out the fulcrum of the team the rest fall to pieces. Gerrard too lamented his loss more than anyone before or since as he knew only too well his importance. He wouldn't have done had it been a Keegan being replaced by Kenny type situation (or even someone close to Xabi's ability). I'm convinced we would have won a title with Xabi...we almost did with the best team we've had in the PL era. United were about to lose Cristiano.

Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 12:44 AM
    Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  25. Jimmyscase

Jimmyscase DoctorJimmy's casebook. Aerial knee-job merchant

Overshadowed completely today here in the German media by Phillip Lahm's simultaneous retirement. Tragic timing for Xabi's last game. In the Munich stadium he'll get a send-off before the game and then as Lahm is taken off in the 85th minute, he'll be more or less forgotten.

26. KCollins

KCollins Active Member

Lahm is a Bayern and Germany legend. The class act that Xabi is he wouldn't begrudge Lahm and the deserving send off he will get.

Besides, Xabi has been around four clubs and is warmly thought off in all of them. Very rare for a player to have such unanimous affection from every club he played for. Think it's only us where he didn't get a proper send off, but then again we were too heartbroken to do one. Rafa's handling of Xabi was his one big error.

The Elusive 19th and Limiescouse like this.
  27. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

A legend bows out. Hope he has a great day, even if the majority of the spotlight will be elsewhere.

One of my favourite players to have ever played for us. Top bloke too, by all accounts.

True story - back when he played for us, I was mildly annoyed that my wife didn't find him attractive. I thought ever so slightly less of her after that lol

28. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "┬┐Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Not really, he doesn't really need them Germans to celebrate his career for him.... If he goes around Liverpool FC forums and boards all over the internet, he will see how much he is being appreciated by the fans in here. And I think that counts more for him because....
    Hell to the yes - now Klopp, go get him before Guardiola snapped him up. Let Gerrard compete with him to see who comes up on top (I know who will....).

The Elusive 19th likes this.
  29. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

I won't be surprised if decides in a couple of years to accept an offer from a club in La Liga to be their manager. Many of the best managers out there learned their tactical things in La Liga. Spain is the best school for managers by some distance.

30. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I would have thought that was Italy tbh.

The Elusive 19th and lfc.eddie like this.