FIFA and their brilliant? Ideas.....

Discussion in 'World Football' started by lfc.eddie, Dec 9, 2016.

1. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

I think we should have one just for their on and off nonsense to try and make the World Cup competition relevant and exciting....

So FIFA new president is looking to revamp the World Cup to make it more.... well, odd?

Infantino looked to introduce 48 teams, 12 more teams instead of the 32, with 16 groups. First and second will move forward while the last place can pack their bags and leave. I doubt it would work, imagine the winner of the group beats both teams by a goal each, and the second and third team drew 0-0 when they played against each other. Who takes the second spot? Or first two teams win their matches against the one finished third with a goal and both drew when they play against each other. So who takes the first spot?

This I feel is another political plot to win votes as this Infant fella's term is up in 2019, so lobby now before the election starts.

Here's the story.

Fifa’s Infantino suggests 16 three-team groups for revamped World Cup

2. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

The solution - penalties for drawn group games. It hasnt got to the same level of approval as this convoluted structure, but this is seemingly what Infantino wants to do to protect against the issue you bring up.

The other wrinkle is the scheduling of the games. In a 3 team group it is possible the last game becomes meaningless, which is terrible for TV. They have used 3 team groups before, the second round/semis in 82 were the last time as far as I can tell, and their solution then was a floating schedule. It was provisionally set, but would be altered if the first game had a positive result. The idea was the winner would be rewarded by being allowed to play in the final game of the group, and regardless of the result in the second game the outcome out still technically be on the line. I don't think such a fluid system would fly these days, especially with the way they move teams all over the country

lfc.eddie likes this.
  3. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

Is there a thread for the Inaugural FIFA Awards?

Good to see for the Fifpro World XI that only Barca and Real players need apply...:rolleyes:

StrongINTheAir likes this.
  4. SBYM

Thoughts?

As an Ozzie, I see merit in the expansion argument...doing well in a WC for a smaller footballing nation is just amazing, no words to describe the feeling/pride we all felt in '06. And I do wonder just how much better the African/European/South American teams that miss out are than some of the other teams that do make it, hence I'm not overly worried about the drop in quality point.

That said, everything FIFA does feels like stealing money out of your just deceased mother's pocket, so, yeah...there's that...

Interesting development, to say the least.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  5. pottymonster

pottymonster I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

Not sure how I feel about it. The expanded Euro tournament last summer seemed to work out pretty good, so I guess I'll wait and see with the World Cup.

Even with 2 of the 3 teams per group going through, I expect England to fuck that up and exit in the group stages.

StrongINTheAir and SBYM like this.
  6. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

I have no confidence in FIFA at all,it just seems the money and other bullshit gets in front of making tournaments exciting again,Qatar,ffs.

StrongINTheAir and SBYM like this.
  7. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Maybe they can have extra points for goals, irony was some of the smaller clubs who came to a tournament for the first time in ages like Wales were quite entertaining to watch.

8. Sound as a Pound

Sound as a Pound TIA Midfield General

£, $, €

rupzzz and liveforthereds like this.
  9. liveforthereds

liveforthereds asp67 twitter

Spot on @Sound as a Pound this is all about the cash they think they can generate, If anything I doubt I will be watching as I hate International football.

Sound as a Pound likes this.
  10. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

Beaten to it by @Sound as a Pound. It's always about the cheddar.

Add to this, Infantino, whom I believe to be much better than his predecessors, wants to leave a legacy, and due to the pedestrian pace of change in football, he's acting fast. Shame it's blatantly not been thought through.

11. kotsebotse

kotsebotse TIA New Signing

I'd be in favor of the increased number of teams, if that means less number of international breaks and qualifiers.

Actually I would like to see the international games in football to be something like in volleyball - played only in the summer. Do it for about a month every few years - 1/2 weeks qualifiers, followed directly by the tournament (world cup or euros) itself and be done with it.

12. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

It doesn't mean anything of the sort - the same number of qualifying dates will apply. Some of the federations will have to change their qualifying structure (if CONCACAF gets 2 more spots, 5 of 6 teams from the 'hex' round would get in), but the same number of qualifiers and friendlies will be played.

Changing to a summer only will never happen. It makes sense only from the point of view of European club football. It would completely disrupt South American club football and place much of Asian/African international play in a season where it is generally held to be unsuitable. It would be the Qatar problem every year.

SBYM likes this.
  13. Limiescouse

Structuring the qualifiers like is also bad for actual sporting reasons. It's how South American qualifying used to be and the move to the ten team more or less year round schedule is what is generally considered to be the biggest reason for the improvement in quality of the (non Brazil and Argentina) South American sides.

I think there is sometimes just a reflexive negative reaction to anything FIFA do. IMO there are few downsides to this move, and nothing inherently wrong with trying to maximize revenue of the one event that generates something like 75% of their revenue. What this will do is to grow the world cup without increasing the work load of the players.

It will almost certainly result in some restrucuring of the Americas, but if we look at UEFA qualifying, if they get extra places, then there could well be a restructuring towards more groups of one fewer team. Aye, I'm sure those dates they lose from having 2 fewer qualifying games would be replaced with friendlies, but that will still reduce the work load of the main players given the way friendlies are played.

Rambler and SBYM like this.
  14. TFC

TFC TIA Squad Member

15. SBYM

fmd...what a load of shite...

How long until the proposal to go to qtrs resurfaces??

Scott Jones likes this.
  16. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

They should ban busses and make teams have a certain amount of players playing in the opposition's half .:-)

James H likes this.
  17. James H

James H "I dunno, I just work here"

StrongINTheAir, SBYM and Scott Jones like this.
  18. Arminius

How cool would footy be with a blue line....

I'd have to hear more about Van Basten's idea, but surely he cannot mean dropping the rule without replacing it with something that achieves a similar effect of controlling space. Basketball doesn't need a rule, maybe that is what he is thinking of, but there are only 42m2 per player in basketball. Football has 324m2 per player - not that far off a basketball court worth of space.

TFC likes this.
  19. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

There's the 3 second rule though isn't there? That's effectively the equivalent of a "no goal-hangers" stipulation, isn't it? Without an offside rule you'd need something similar I expect which would be far harder to police in football.

Thankfully the home nations remain in control of the laws of the game so this particular proposal wouldn't see the light of day. Orange cards, however, I do like. Substitutions could also be improved.

TFC likes this.
  20. Arminius

It doesn't do quite the same thing, it governs only the key, keeping the offence from parking under the basket. It doesn't preclude sending a player alone into the other half as soon as the opposing team takes a shot, attempting to set up a chance for a quick in-bounds play or pass off a rebound. So it doesn't have the same effect of constraining the available playing space.

With football, I think you would probably see wide players or forwards staying right around the 30 yard area, probably forcing at least one defender to stay in the area. That in turn would leave a lot of space in the middle of the field.

TFC likes this.
  21. TFC

TFC TIA Squad Member

Yeah there is a '3 in the key' rule. I guess something similar could be considered, but I think then we'd need an almost dedicated ref to just watch the prick who'll inevitably be hanging right on the edge of whatever area is decided on for most of the match for some teams.

I love the idea of an orange card; for those moments when its a hard call between a yellow and a red.

22. Arminius

I shudder at the thought of all the jackasses I have played with who already thought they did not need to come back to defend after losing the ball.

StrongINTheAir and inaiq like this.
  23. SBYM

Nothing shits me more than lazy pricks who will run forward like their arse is on fire but walk back like they're out for a stroll with mum...

StrongINTheAir and inaiq like this.
  24. Arminius

Klopp on the rule change idea:

"I thought this season most teams play against us without the offside rule so.."

eng.amohd, StrongINTheAir and inaiq like this.
  25. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

His thoughts about the short term thinking of some people to "squeeze" out of football in this moment and not enough care about the future of football.
    On MVB "he can invent another game, that's no problem" :-)

26. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

van Basten came with about 10 ideas and maybe 2 or 3 might be viable stuff, down-the-line. The one that most managers seem to be drilling down on is abandoning offside, but that one was just an off-the-cuff suggestion from MVB.

Possibly the better suggestions would be to have a "self pass" rule like in Hockey, as-in when you are fouled you can just dribble the ball forward yourself and thus launch an immediate attack instead of waiting for the opponent to set themselves. Now you are forced to pass it first, with no possibility to dribble instead.

The other really promising stuff would be to abandon a hands-based throw-in and to instead replace it with a kick-in. The throw-in is very anti-intuitive anyway in football, which is a feet-based sport. .Football is all about your feet, so why "reward" a team for the other team putting the ball out of play, with only a hands-above-heads and short radius solution. Kicking the ball back in would allow both a safety-first approach of just playing it crisply back to your defenders or else a more dynamic method of launching the ball into the box as a sort of corner or free-kick. Much more threatening that. The defender launches it last-gasp into the crowd ...and then you can put the ball into the box. That makes sense, to me.

No draws allowed, midfield based shootouts, time sanctions etc seem more iffy to me.

Rambler likes this.
  27. Limiescouse

Kick ins would make throw ins in a certain area of the pitch more dangerous than corners. I think for that idea alone it is a bad idea.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  28. Arminius

The effect of that kick-in rule is that a throw-in is identical to that of an indirect free kick foul, which in particular means obstruction becomes more common - I play with exactly that rule in 7-a-side. Facing a winger trying to play it down the line, the difference between playing the ball for a clean knock out of play and obstructing the player becomes about a meter or so.

29. Rambler

Rambler Bootle Boy

Kick ins would make throw ins in a certain area of the pitch more dangerous than corners. I think for that idea alone it is a very good idea. ;-)

cardiffpete likes this.
  30. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

Kick-ins have been trialled in a few youth tournaments, with promising results. It certainly makes the game faster and more dynamic. And it's in the spirit of the game too.

The "advantage" of getting a throw-in 2 yards from your own back-line is really a potential disadvantage, but if you could kick it then no problem at all, a midway throw-in could go either way aka just recycle if safely back to your own backs or else switch the play across the entire field - while in attack, it could become a real weapon. So many times an opponent might make a last gasp saving defensive tackle, to thwart a very promising attack ...and then all you are left with is a simple throw-in, with just-about no advantage at all. The possibility to kick-it-in would better reward the attacking team here.

Hope in your heart likes this.