FIFA and their brilliant? Ideas.....

Discussion in 'World Football' started by lfc.eddie, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

But per my post above, what you actually see is not risking the rather entertaining saving defensive tackle and the direct free kick that comes from getting it wrong, when you can just plant yourself in front of the opponent and prevent him from playing through. If the difficult defensive play gets the risk-reward (DFK-kick from sideline) and the easy one gets (IFK), coaching will catch up with that very quickly. May as well start allowing hipchecking in the game.

In part, I think this is down more to how lightly most infractions are punished, as much as any inherent flaw in the idea of kick-ins.

2. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

It would give a spark element to start with. I do also think tactics would catch up very fast. Just a possibility though. I do think that a kick-in would make the game faster in general and it would also reward attacking play better (in attacking areas) , while still keeping with the spirit of the game. About 8 of 10 of van Basten's ideas will never happen anyway. Maybe one or two might.

I do agree that certain infractions are very lightly punished whilst others can be over-punished. For example Herrera pulling back our attacker blatantly in an obvious attack template move might warrant an instant sin-bin dismissal and thus us with a man-up for the next 10~15 minutes, instead of just a meaningless yellow and them then 100% organized for the free against. That sort of stuff. That type of obvious foul-play in Rugby would see the side reduced by one man for 15 minutes or-so and the other side have a power play cycle. A free-kick form 50 yards out is no real compensation here. And a yellow might matter another day and for another team faced, but it makes no impact on the actual game itself. Herrera could just tug the shirt with no consequences at all, on the day. OK, he got a yellow - but so what, nothing else happened.

3. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

One issue with kick-in's. How to ensure that opposing players are the regulation distance away from the kicker in a timely fashion.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  4. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

I like throw-ins as an element in the game and because it is essentially another 'skill' and the more skills to a game, the better, for me. I like the fact that uniquely you can't be off-side from a throw-in, I like the fact that it leads to invention like this...

However, I don't like the fact that it automatically reduces the outfield players on the team with the throw-in. It's hardly surprising that it's difficult to find a player in space when the opposition has an extra man (because one of your men must be off the pitch to take the throw-in). That seems to me to be a disadvantage and one that's not easily resolved. Perhaps if you could take the throw-in to yourself (in which case you wouldn't have to do it from behind your head) then that might help?

geebo likes this.
  5. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Or allow both kick-ins and throw-ins? Best of both worlds and the team with the ball gets the advantage.

Could additionally be allowed to pass / throw it to yourself (as you can in a rugby lineout)

6. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

Speaking of throw-ins, any excuse to post this beauty:

Scott Jones likes this.
  7. StrongINTheAir

StrongINTheAir The voice of reason

Maybe it wasn't just SEPPtic Bladder who was the one gushing all over them?

8. StrongINTheAir

England is what they is.
    Love your banner quote from Rogue

pottymonster likes this.
  9. StrongINTheAir

Please God yes! Less international breaks throughout the season would be worth most any change, especially the meaningless ones that aren't actually a qualifying round for some Cup

10. StrongINTheAir

After missing Mane for this stretch and the ordeal over Matip, I'm feeling inclined to say "fuck em"

11. StrongINTheAir

I think MVB was being a little sly in his proposal. If you have a couple ideas that you want that are on the edge anyway, throw out another half dozen that are absolutely bat shit crazy, so the ones you really want aren't so out there by comparison.
    I used to try the same thing back in high school and college when on dates. It's not usually received well, but sometimes you become pleasantly surprised.

12. StrongINTheAir

The idea of the Orange card and subsequent punishment does have some merit.
    The hesitation comes from adding just another judgement call for a ref to get wrong.
    Imagine what should be just a yellow seeing a LFC player sidelined for a period of the match when incorrectly given an orange. We'd explode

redfanman likes this.
  13. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Actually more teams would hopefully mean less qualifiers but I doubt it.

As for the Orange card, I've never been totally opposed to a sin bin.

14. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

I am full for more teams in WC and for TV replays being available to refs. The orange card may seem a good idea, but would add more problems than fixing them.

15. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Only in fucking well America. I'd kick my kid up the arse if they were doing front flips taking throw ins.

16. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

Funny as fuck though