Fifa Ban Poppy

Discussion in 'World Football' started by treboeth, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treboeth

treboeth Well-Known Member

Scott Jones likes this.
  2. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

3. kwala

kwala TIA Regular

Article I read said they ban Political, Religious and Commercial images on shirts. I don't see how a poppy fits any of those categories.

Fucking Idiotic Fucking Arseholes

lfc.eddie likes this.
  4. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

And they wonder why people despise them, never ever mix politics with sports. I have been saying that over and over again. Fucking Idiots Fucking Assholes indeed.

5. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid Valued Member

Poppies are not political, they're a remembrance symbol.

Stupid fuckers.

Maria, Scott Jones and geebo like this.
  6. kwala

kwala TIA Regular

Paint a poppy the size of the centre circle on the fucking pitch!

liveforthereds and Maria like this.
  7. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

Take the whole lot of them to Flanders to see the graves (at their expense, on a coach).

8. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

9. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

In fairness to Fifa, how were they to know the same issue would arise practically a year later?

It's like when National Rail is left stunned and bewildered at the appearance of leaves and snow each year.

RedSeven, redbj, Flobs and 5 others like this.
  10. FGred

FGred Well-Known Member

They should still wear them in defiance of that shower in FIFA as I think it is quite offensive for them to ban the home nations honouring the dead from all the wars to insure the freedom for these idiots to take that decision in the first place. all the fans attending at the international games should wear a shirt with the integrated poppy therefore ensuring more monies going to the appeal and the players should walk on the pitch with the normal pinned poppies which they can take off after the national anthems?

Maria and kwala like this.
  11. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

FIFA are professional numbskulls,are there any objections to this or is it just another opportunity for them to look ridiculous,thoughtless twats.
    Edit,it seems the home nations are discussing whether to ignore it and are looking at the likely punishment if they did so.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    Maria likes this.
  12. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

Quite right, remembrance day is none of those. And yet, the day takes away from FIFA's brand, I have no doubt that's what bother's them, that they can't sell shit while we're thinking of bigger things.

13. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

The same rules need to apply to all. It's stupid if the poppy is banned, but then every nation has to have the ability to show their equivalent if matches fall on dates of importance.

The problem I've got most of all is that the media (rags) are making this way bigger than it is. Fifa won't enforce a ban, and this probably could have been agreed without it even becoming an issue.

14. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I really hope Scotland and England defy FIFA, same old organisation, same ridiculous outdated rule, same corrupt officials.

Scott Jones likes this.
  15. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

FIFA probably should not have allowed Ireland to commemorate the Easter Rising in a friendly against Switzerland earlier this year (which I have no problem with either, 100 years on). They don't have a leg to stand on now. Commemorating the Easter Rising is undeniably more political in character than Remembrance Day - at least here, resident veterans of Axis forces have been invited to participate for years.

16. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

Sure didn't we invite the Queen to lay a wreath at the garden of remembrance last year

Maria and Arminius like this.
  17. Arminius

No argument here - despite overtly political origins, the commemoration has become something else as well. I don't have a problem with the Irish kit being allowed to have a commemoration, my point was that it is wildly inconsistent.

Maria and darkvoid like this.
  18. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Unfortunately, something - no matter what it is - is going to be offensive to SOMEONE, and we currently live in an age where that someone can cry foul and create legal issues. I don't remember how the Irish kit got through, it could have been a case of the Irish government not giving a crap what FIFA think (more likely given Irish political corruption, there's a backhanded payment somewhere though) but there was pushback, notably from unionists in the north.

The notion of banning the poppy is as ludicrous as the outrage from foreign countries about Ireland's decision. FA should sanction the wearing, and if clubs get fined, the FA should cover it. End of story. Chances are that's all it is, an excuse for FIFA to swell their already filled-to-bursting coffers.

ptt, liveforthereds and FGred like this.
  19. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Talk about timing...

FIFA asked to explain Easter Rising stance

A British MP has asked FIFA to clarify why the Republic of Ireland were permitted to wear a symbol commemorating the Easter Rising, while the England, Wales and Scotland football teams have been banned from wearing poppies.

FIFA looks set to ignore calls to allow British footballers to wear poppies commemorating Remembrance Day in next week's World Cup qualifiers.

The laws of the game state that players' equipment should not carry any commercial, political or religious messages, but it had been hoped that players would be allowed to at least wear poppies on armbands when England meet Scotland at Wembley on 11 November, Armistice Day, and Wales host Serbia in Cardiff the following evening.

That was the compromise that was granted by FIFA in 2011, when England, Scotland and Wales wore armbands with poppies on in three November friendlies.

The FA asked FIFA for a similar ruling this year but received a short written reply from new secretary general Fatma Samoura that "drew attention" to law 4, paragraph 4, the section that contains the ban on commercial, political or religious messages.

Ireland wore a commemorative symbol against Switzerland in a friendly last March.

That has been viewed as a contradiction in some quarters, with Damian Collins MP telling the BBC: "I have asked FIFA to clarify the issue over shirts worn by the Republic of Ireland because that appears to be an absolutely classic example of leniency being shown to other countries."

The FA and its Scottish and Welsh counterparts had hoped to persuade Samoura to soften her stance at a dinner in London on Wednesday evening, before Thursday's meeting of the International Football Association Board, the body that makes the game's laws.

But it now seems Samoura and her boss, FIFA president Gianni Infantino, are in no mood to back down.

"FIFA fully respects the significance of commemorating Remembrance Day on 11 November each year," a FIFA spokesperson said.

"The laws of the game are overseen by the International Football Association Board and applicable to all 211 member associations. The relevant law 4, para. 4, clearly states that the players equipment should not carry any political, religious or commercial messages.

"The laws are applied uniformly in the event of similar requests by any member association to commemorate similar historical events."

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/1102/828727-fifa/

20. FGred

FGred Well-Known Member

I think they should ignore the edict from FIFA and if they deduct points so be it we might not attend the world cup anyway as its in Russia and there is a strong possibility that we will boycott it.

21. liveforthereds

liveforthereds asp67 twitter

That's a great Idea.

Maybe they would think again if a brown Envelope was pass under the table. That's the only language these Idiots Understand.

22. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid Valued Member

23. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

I always shy a bit away from the hype surrounding the footy on Anzac Day though....( no relevance to this issue)... But see Eddie mcguires fat head justifying the massive cash cow becuase that's what 'they fought and died for' is all a bit....especially when, on that particular day...someone like say...Nathan Buckley ( when a player)... Can be considered, without any form of embarrassment or irony....a hero, a gladiator, brave or...best of all...showing the true Anzac spirit.....

Sometimes you just have to shoe gaze and try to not make eye contact.....

SBYM and spizfromoz like this.
  24. spizfromoz

Yep. Eddie and the gang make me want to retch.
    Anzac day is a little different, though. It's half way between romantic and commemorative. Last 15 years or so politicians have fallen over themselves to get into its limelight. The Govt has spent enormous amounts of money on Anzac related commemorative stuff, led by politicians mostly. The general rise in patriotic buffoonery in Aust has me puzzled. I prefer the old couldn't give a rats about much Australian. At least I knew where he stood.

It's taken me a long time, but I do understand that remembrance day is mostly what it aims to be. It's worth remembering wars for how senseless they are.

inaiq likes this.
  25. spizfromoz

I take offence at your reasonable stance.

26. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

Im glad that both the English and Scotish FA's are basically telling fifa to fuck off and are going ahead with the poppy armbands

Danny Mills though is an idiot though

"Former England defender Danny Mills earlier told BBC Radio 5 live the row over poppies is overshadowing the meaning of the occasion.

Mills, 39, said one solution could have been players wearing temporary tattoos on their hands.

"If the players are that insistent on wearing poppies, they should get a temporary tattoo, stick it on the back of their hand and, when the national anthems are played, put your hand on your heart and it's there for everybody to see.

"Fifa cannot stop that. It's no different than having a normal tattoo."

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/37857370

27. Barnestormer

Barnestormer Left wing.

its probably because they are still waiting for their brown bag on it

Scott Jones, redbj and darkvoid like this.
  28. Arminius

29. Not Worthy

Not Worthy Well-Known Member

It's a dog's breakfast of an argument. When did it become 'essential' to have to wear a poppy for an international fixture; last 5 years, 10 years. Simply have a period of silence, per 11:00am on the 11th. Show the due respect and get on with it.

Most of my family have served in the forces at some point. Not all of them feel obliged to wear a poppy. Out of interest, what do folk think would happen to any player that chose to not wear one ?

Ataturk likes this.
  30. hugo the horrible

hugo the horrible Ridiculously optimistic.

Really can't see why FIFA needs involve itself in any of this.
    The poppy and the Easter uprising are now in the history books.
    Maybe FIFA wants to rewrite history.
    Political correctness gone mad! Yet again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.