FIFA Corruption

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by darren kelly, Jun 8, 2014.

1. darren kelly

darren kelly "Luisito Estamos Con Vos"

http://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/news/sony-the-first-sponsor-to-back-world-cup-bribes-probe
    Qatar denies Bin Hammam was connected to its bid for the Cup. Bin Hammam has not commented.
    FIFA has already banned Bin Hammam for life from soccer over accusations he paid bribes to win votes for a bid to become FIFA president. That ban was overturned but another was imposed for conflicts of interest.

Should Qatar have the world cup taken from them.Bribery and also the weather and this idea that we have to play it in winter could mean it gets taken off them.Also Russia having issues in Ukraine could mean they are boycotted by sponsors who do not want to be associated with a world cup there.Money is power and if sponsors are not going to come forward then it seems realistic the world cup will be given to Australia or the UK.

2. NZred

NZred The Red From NZ

Thing is, do you trust FIFA to make in inquest? And be truthful about it? Septic Bladder probably took the most money of any of them.

koptician likes this.
  3. mpoletti

mpoletti Bearded Rumour Mill Regista

4. DeathOrGlory

DeathOrGlory Fortune Favours the Brave

Would be such a huge story if the 2022 World Cup got overturned, and sent to its rightful holder, Australia.

koptician likes this.
  5. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

This part I don't get...

How do they determine the country lacking in football/soccer tradition? When US of A hosted the World Cup in 94, majority of the nation knows nuts about the game too let alone the competition. They are tiny and that is true, but lacking football tradition?

Well if they get overturned, I would certainly like to see China gets it. Big bloody country that's for sure.

6. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

If it does get overturned, they're going to have to use a country with all the infrastructure and stadiums in place. UK, Spain, France, Germany etc.

7. liverpool_singh

liverpool_singh Newbie

No I think the revote should still reapply to the same nations (excluding Qatar). There is still more than enough time for developed countries like Australia, US, Japan and South Korea to build the necessary infrastructure to host the cup provided they sort out the issue within the next year.

8. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

You've had football leagues, players and fans in America for decades, may not be one of their main sports but still exists. New York has a population 4 times the size of Qatar. Even if only 2% of Americans are into football that'd still dwarf the entire Qatar population. Most of what is needed for the Qatar world cup is being built from scratch.

9. SoueysTash

SoueysTash GegenPosting

simple way to do it...have all the countries that want it in a draw. Fairest way to do it, all this bid none sense is far too open to fraud as they've shown so far. A draw isn't unfixable but it would surely prove to be a fairer method than the current model

10. lfc.eddie

Right.... Does that mean EPL should not give a shit about countries in Singapore and Hong Kong then? I was at the 94 World Cup, mind you the amount of vacant VIP seats in Dallas where I watched Brazil took on Holland was staggering. I wasn't complaining back then since I moved from the back to a touching distances of the pitch, took advantage of it.

To say Qatar is not a footballing nation and should not get to host is bullshit. You could use all sorts of excuses, but not a "soccer country"? Spells west supremacy attitude to me.

11. Rattlesnake888

Rattlesnake888 Well-Known Member

Eddie, Qatar would not be a good location for fans to experience a World Cup. It is simply too hot there and then there is the strict Islamic laws. Women cannot even dress as they want!! Watch the Brazilian women in bikinis at this World Cup and then imagine the tournament in Qatar where little skin could be exposed.

It is not Western supremacy just common sense but maybe it shows an inferiority complex on your part

12. lfc.eddie

Isn't the purpose of World Cup is to promote and celebrate the game? When did it ever gone into how chicks wearing bikini, lovepool?

I have a beef about calling countries a not A "soccer country". If they want to award the competition strictly to a "soccer country", United States of America would not have gotten it in 94 because clearly that World Cup is to promote the sport to Americans. Or maybe Qatar is not worthy? By the way have you even been to Doha, talking about women cannot wear whatever the hell they want. These days middle eastern or South Asian cannot even spot a beard without being checked like a terrorists in airports in US of A or even in Australia (saw it with my own eyes, an Indian kid was detained for checks in Adelaide). So spare me the inferiority complex nonsense and political crap.

This is football, politics have no place for the sport. Which so happen promote unity.

If the way to award this is by virtue of soccer country specific, then FIFA should just host it in Europe and South America like the old days.

13. Rattlesnake888

Rattlesnake888 Well-Known Member

Mate thousands of migrant workers will have died in the construction of the stadia and other infrastructure. In 2014 that's a disgrace but you seem not to care as they are" just" Indians or Nepalese.

50 degree temperatures will make it impossible for fans or players to enjoy the tournament

The World Cup was brought to Asia in 2002 and South Africa in 2010 so why are you insisting that the World is against you or nontraditional footballing nations?

The awarding of the tournament to a desert nation was a mistake/ corruption and the quicker Qatar loses the right to host the tournament the better. Hold it in Australia the UK or whatever nation can run tbe event without thousands of people dying and fans and players can enjoy themselves.

14. Rooster

Rooster What a hit son

One of your best Ed, the Lovepool part that is.

Onto the argument. When non Euro and non South American football countries have hosted the Cup, it has worked out OK. Think US, Sth Africa, Japan. Spread the event I say but who's left with realistic infrastructure, conditions and proven record- Aussies and China. But Qatar is just farcical, everyone can see that.

The Aussies are pissants in this code despite a proud sporting history. The times don't suit Europe so they should stick the middle finger up in the event of a re vote. The Yanks would win it with the financial clout.

15. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

I'm looking forward to England putting in a bid for the Winter Olympics. Sure, we might not have any mountains or reliable winter snowfall of any kind but I'm sure we could build 'em and can't snow be created artificially by a God machine? It would really bring winter olympic sport to more than just the privileged elite who get to experience it in other countries. With mountains. And snow.

16. lfc.eddie

Wow cannot believe that actually comes from you kopstar....

Oh, seen Dubai indoor winter resort? You be surprise what money can buy you....

17. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Eddie, I have absolutely no objection to the World Cup going to countries as a way of spreading the football gospel or to countries with a footballing heartland who had not yet had the privilege of hosting a World Cup. No problem with that at all.

At the same time heed needs to be given to the practicalities involved. The Fifa evaluation report expressly recommended that Qatar was not chosen for those reasons - it has been obvious from the start that a summer World Cup in Qatar was an absurd decision.

The likes of Indonesia, Australia, China, India, Russia, Argentina all make far more sense than Qatar does if you want to go to new places. One of the reasons I didn't feel too upset about England losing out to Russia notwithstanding that England would probably win every single bid if the criteria were solely about footballing infrastructure.

18. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

This latest from Blatter is an impressive piece of making a bad situation worse. September or October? So should the Qataris just down tools until they know? By putting a timeline on it, the credibility of the investigative process is potentially compromised.

I have to say I feel a certain sympathy for Qatar. I think it was a ridiculous decision to put the World Cup there, but they must be wondering what unwritten rule they have broken, or exactly which line they have crossed. They participated in a bidding process that has been known to be corrupt for at least a generation, run by a corrupt organization that explicitly constitutes itself to avoid any legal scrutiny or regulation. The Qataris just moved it to a logical conclusion, and suddenly the whores are playing the virgin.

19. All Day

All Day TIA Reserve Team

Sorry mate, but the USA came in second in the voting for the 2022. Australia got one vote in the first round and were dropped out contention because of it.

I am very glad to see the sponsors stepping up and protesting this. This is the only way that this gets cleaned up.

I do agree that putting the world cup into non-traditional football nations is a good thing. MLS may not be a great league but it is getting better and growing and it was launched off of the momentum of the 1994 world cup in the US. That is the kind of impact it can have. But putting a world cup in a desert country that has a tiny population and summer high temperatures that can kill you is not a good idea.

20. a0001matt

a0001matt TIA Squad Member

The size of Qatar is a misnomer and the idea of what we call the "host nation" gets a bit turned upside down in this case.

In the immediate region, Qatar will draw plenty of fans from Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Oman. Not to mention on the other side of the Gulf Iran is absolutely footballing mad--so much that the government is worried for its future if the Iranians happen to surprise in Brazil.

Not too much farther away is the greater Middle East. Certainly upper class Egyptians and chic Lebanese won't bat an eye at flying to Doha for several matches.

Also consider just how extensive airline companies like Qatar Airways, Emirates, and Etihad are. 3 hour flights to Doha from Mumbai; 2.5 hours from Karachi; 4.5 hours from Istanbul; 8 from Singapore--all direct flights.

It's sort of a historical cliche, but the Gulf really is a continental and regional crossroad. Qatar has been undergoing a hub strategy for years now and the World Cup resonates with that approach. It's entirely reasonable to think that many people will be interested in spending a weekend watching matches.

So yeah, the national population of Qatar is extremely small, but that doesn't mean the event would not attract crowds (if it goes through).

lfc.eddie likes this.
  21. redbj

redbj hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

Not too bad a point.

I have to say I thinks it's an absolute farce though.

Look at the two defensive posts from arminus and Eddie, who can normally reason a good debate....

One claims a western agenda bias, and the other agrees its a farce, but everyone else does it so what the hey....

Hardly good angles for defense.

Whatever the fuck, even though Australia missed out on it, that's not my agenda, FIFA shouldn't fuck with the product too much, I love the world cup being in europe or south America, traditional football continents, I understand the need to play it in Asia, but Qatar...I mean....seriously.....

Hope in your heart likes this.
  22. i_still_miss_fowler

i_still_miss_fowler Well-Known Member Moderator

It is a farce,

Sadly the farce will continue because FIFA will never admit there was bribery. Lets say hypothetically FIFA take away the tournament from Qatar, there will be court battles for the next decade. Without sounding melodramatic wide spread acknowledgement of corruption could bring down FIFA (not a bad thing in my opinion).

Its estimated that Qatar has already spent 500M on preparations, if FIFA states we are taking the games away from Qatar because they are corrupt, all those individual businesses will take legal action not only against the Qatar FA but also FIFA.

Its not the morally right thing, but admitting nothing you have deniability, you can argue its not widespread, find a loop hole or scape goat. Admit you are corrupt, opens you up to legal recourse from bidding countries to companies building stadia.

TFC likes this.
  23. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

There is one argument which weighs much heavier than this corruption issue. Arminius is right, FIFA officials have likely been bribed since more than half a century, but always went away with it.

The point is the following: if it takes place there, the world cup in Qatar is still 8 years away from now. Yet, more than 900 workers have already died while building these flashy stadia and the corresponding infrastructure, men who have no choice at all. They can't walk away now, what can they do? How many of them will die before the whole thing is completed?

https://www.google.ch/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.smithsonianmag.com%2Fsmart-news%2Fover-900-workers-have-already-died-building-qatars-world-cup-facilities-180950088%2F&ei=jRqWU9TpKquA7QbLrIHgCg&usg=AFQjCNGel4vIV_9SGJQ1d63lAN9yKzyPlg

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/14/migrant-workers-dying-qatar-world-cup

https://www.google.ch/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFsQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nbcnews.com%2Fnews%2Fother%2F4-000-migrants-could-be-worked-death-building-qatars-2022-f8C11275186&ei=jRqWU9TpKquA7QbLrIHgCg&usg=AFQjCNHG9CUE1coSJE5lj1jmmev34vedLw

Everyone at FIFA avoids talking about it, it's the litteral elephant in the room. But deep inside themselves, Blatter and co. know that they have been too far this time, and need to do something about it. Same for the big sponsors who need to take action, otherwise, they will be associated with an incredible bloodshed, which will irremediably affect their public image.

In my opinion, the corruption motive is just a lever which they can use to take action against Qatar without having to enter the delicate subject of interferring with internal politics. Hopefully, this sinister farce will soon come to an end and the world cup given to a state with less barbaric methods, and some democracy and human rights to boot, which would be nice.

24. a0001matt

You're probably on to something there. Though, at the moment I wish that FIFA and some of these sponsors try to leverage some reform in Qatar. The government has already announced steps to restructure the labor system. Whether this is serious or not, it's too early to know.

My concern is that it will become out of sight and out of mind. FIFA may try to save themselves, but the labor practices may very well continue--it was well established before the stadia were underway and is critical to Qatari national citizenship laws.

I'm just also a bit frustrated how quickly so many people are latching onto any complaint lodged forward. Like, Adidas? Well documented sweatshop labor. Nicely fits into your idea, though. They could easily be bringing up corruption to steer attention away from their own questionable business practices.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  25. i_still_miss_fowler

i_still_miss_fowler Well-Known Member Moderator

If anyone had any doubts how FIFA are going to play this, you need only look at comments this morning from Sepp Blatter.

He has labelled those who have made the allegations as racist, blamed the English media as bitter, and urged FIFA officials to take legal action against the press for defamation.

As I said before, will be a farce from start to finish.

26. darren kelly

darren kelly "Luisito Estamos Con Vos"

Now Blatter is saying it is racism from the British media forgetting its about bribery and corruption and workers dying and when you look at the Winter Olympics being overshadowed by gay rights and Ukraine how can a world cup be given to Russia as the same will happen.
    If I want a beer or wanted to be gay for a trial I would get whipped in Qatar.If I kiss a girl in public the religious cops may see me and arrest me for indecency.How can we switch the champions league and Prem title for a World Cup in Qatar.It seems like it would be easier to give it to the UK since they have not had a World Cup since 66.Even Spain would be a great place.

27. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

In somewhat related news,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCjeD-Jqd2s&feature=kp

Jaw-dropping.

28. AussieLFC79

AussieLFC79 TIA Regular

How are Australia the rightful host?

We came dead last in the vote, and only got 1 fucking vote - and we are as guilty as Qatar in offering bribes, so if Qatar lose the WC due to bribery, then we also should be ruled out.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  29. a0001matt

Australia is an interesting one. It seems like the sentiment is the same as it is here in the States. So many fans here see the way the game is growing, have a look at our infrastructure, and are convinced that we should be the rightful heir to either 2018 or 2022.

We strangely really blew our chance by holding it in 94. They were too eager and the competition was too soon considering how unpopular football was at that point in time. It did very little (from what I can tell) to raise the profile of the game here.

I'd certainly be in favor of Australia over the US, but I've got to agree with AussieLad, even with dubious voting behavior, Australia was well outside of the running to even be in consideration. I suspect if there was a revote they would still fall behind 4 or 5 nations easily.

I really wonder why FIFA just didn't set a policy where the next 2-3 World Cups would not be held in nations that previously were hosts.

30. DeathOrGlory

DeathOrGlory Fortune Favours the Brave

Oh yeah, we were so behind in the voting...

A fucking stupid sentiment. The voting ITSELF was rigged. The people who voted for the country to host it were bribed! So of course we weren't going to get any votes....

Can't believe an Aussie would even think that way.