FIFA Corruption

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by darren kelly, Jun 8, 2014.

1. AussieLFC79

AussieLFC79 TIA Regular

We paid bribes ourselves though, and still finished behind 3 other bids not including the qatar bid - so please explain why we have more of a right to host the world cup than USA, Japan or South Korea who, whilst not paying any bribes, all managed to get more votes than we did?

2. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

It's like arguing that someone who buys a business associate a Rolex and takes them out for a meal to discuss business is in the same category as someone who opens a tax free Swiss bank account and sticks a few million in it.

The voting system needs to be ignored completely it was a bribery competition. If the competition had to go to "new ground" then Australia was the best candidate from what I saw.

3. darren kelly

darren kelly "Luisito Estamos Con Vos"

I am shocked Australia bribed people.Maybe England needs to play them at there own game and bribe people.Russia and Qatar obviously did it

4. DeathOrGlory

DeathOrGlory Fortune Favours the Brave

First off, can I see some concrete evidence we paid bribes, please?

Maria likes this.
  5. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

thats just being silly.

if there was concrete evidence you wouldnt have to ask a random forumite on a liverpool website...youd just have to go to the nearest newspaper.

i thought you were joking about us being the rightful hosts...now i realise your not.

awkward.

ill agree with you on one thing though, we are pretty good candidates in our own right.

6. i_still_miss_fowler

i_still_miss_fowler Well-Known Member Moderator

I guess there are levels of bribery.

Australia paid $462,200 helping the Caribbean FA upgrade their stadium. On ethics its boarder line.

Thats different to accusations aimed at Qatar, were the individuals voting personally gained (money into their personal accounts).

7. DeathOrGlory

DeathOrGlory Fortune Favours the Brave

So you think we're not the rightful hosts, yet you think that we didn't bribe anyone. But you also think that we would make for a great World Cup? Bizarre.

I don't usually go in for getting into arguments on here, but it all seems pretty strange to me that two aussie's are "meh" about the whole affair. We'll not even have a chance of getting it here for over 30 years. That doesn't bother you lot?

We were easily the most deserving of the 2022 World Cup.

8. Rooster

Rooster What a hit son

Put the bribes aside for a minute.

Out of the candidates QATAR were the least viable, we all know that, despite all the rhetoric about expanding the game. Japan, Korea, USA have all held the event in recent history, leaving Australia as a real and possibly deserved option. But I also think England were more deserving than Russia.

The Aussies have most of the infrastructure, managed the Olympics better than most so no doubt could handle the event.

I think every Aussie on this forum would love it to happen. But I still feel a sense of humiliation with 1 fucking vote. I'm afraid the 30 year wait may be a reality.

SBYM likes this.
  9. AussieLFC79

AussieLFC79 TIA Regular

http://www.channel4.com/news/will-fifa-investigator-examine-new-world-cup-bribery-claims

read the comments from Bonita Mersiades, who was one of Frank Lowry's key personal within the ffa, and she has admitted that australian funds paid to Jack Warner need to be investigated. She lost her job just before the vote took place after questioning if ffa should be involving ourselves in the dirty politics within fifa. Several other key staff have also since been pushed aside and hit with gagging orders to prevent them from talking about it.

10. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

You would be hard-pressed to identify what the upgrade actually was, the stadium is apparently unchanged and the turf was already there - and also paid for by other funds. At one level, you could say that it was not the Australian bid committee's fault that funds were then mis-appropriated offshore. However, Warner has so much history of this ilk (recall the South Africa WC ticket sales scandal) that it is hard to believe that the Australian committee were not fully aware of what they were actually doing - probably participating in a thoroughly rotten business as best they could, holding their noses and insisting on window-dressing. I don't really believe the bid committee could have been unaware that those funds would end up in Warner's hands.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  11. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

i suppose i just read your stance as we were robbed and deserved to be hosts therefore just.

which is debatable at the very least.

12. RichLFC

RichLFC TIA First Team

Uefa should just declare independence if that unflushable turd Blatter doesn't fuck off

He's cut from the same cloth as the likes of Berlusconi, Max Clifford, Thaksin and the like. Bad pennies always turn up. Never be rid of him, think he will end up cryogenically frozen or something.

Corruption in FIFA will always be a water is wet sort of scenario while the status quo is propped up as it is

koptician likes this.
  13. i_still_miss_fowler

i_still_miss_fowler Well-Known Member Moderator

I think you overestimate the competence of Australian officials lol

There are fine lines between overseas development and bribery. Prior to Panorama investigations he was still the FIFA VP and had some credibility to his name. Whats obvious today I dont think was as obvious when FFA paid the money.

He had been involved in ticket scandals yes, but thats different to him withdrawing funds from a national bodies bank account.

They may have suspected the funds would not be used, as stated (on the staduim), but I dont believe they would have thought the funds would go directly in fraud to Warner.

14. Joe90

Joe90 A Dalglish and a Rush and the Cup is ours

Destroy FIFA.

a0001matt, koptician and darren kelly like this.
  15. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

I am not so sure - for a start, the ticket scandals involved tickets in the hands of the national FA. Warner repeatedly used the T&T bank account as his own personal account, and it was common knowledge in CONCACAF member association circles that CONCACAF was hopelessly corrupt, long before 2011.

16. koptician

koptician We'll go again!

...using what is essentially slave labour

17. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

...and human sacrifice basically!

18. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Australia has the facilities. World Cup Rugby 2003 was held there.

19. liverpool_singh

liverpool_singh Newbie

20. RichLFC

RichLFC TIA First Team

Richard Conway @richard_conway · 17m 17 minutes ago
    BREAKING: Michael Garcia: “Today’s [report]contains numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations"

Richard Conway @richard_conway · 17m 17 minutes ago
    Breaking: Michael Garcia: "I intend to appeal this decision to the FIFA Appeal Committee."

Richard Conway @richard_conway · 9m 9 minutes ago
    Garcia at war with Fifa. Appealing how his findings have been represented.

Gang of jokers this mob...this reads like a Royal Thai Police statement lol

21. Never Say Never

Never Say Never To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Found this on reddit. Sums it up perfectly.

"This is absolutely priceless. I really can't help but admire the absolutely enormous balls on FIFA to basically say "fuck off lads, we're totally sound. Report? Nah, read it for you mate"

Kopstar likes this.
  22. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Well Rolex watches and payment from Qatar airways got nothing to do with Qatar FA anyway.... don't you fellas know that? Even Aussie donated some money to build a football stadium that was never built to one of the FA committee members, got them one vote though.

23. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

It's the old trick.
    The thief himself cries "stop thief!" to distract the others and tries to sneak away from the crime scene.
    Most fans I know had a good laugh when they read about that fifa report.
    The best part seems to be the report praising blatter.

24. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

25. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

There's always been a suspicion that the real motivation behind the FA claiming the process was rigged was simply because we're just not as good as everyone else at 'playing the game'.

Of course a clean process would help us but not necessarily for virtuous reasons but because we're crap at the dark arts.

It's as if our innate sense of fair play means that we stop short of going full-on machiavellian leaving us mildly tainted (enough to undermine our later attempt to grab the moral high ground but not enough to actually influence anything).

No doubt that FIFA are a joke of an organisation in need of significant reform but I'd rather it wasn't the FA leading the calls for change. The ones with the greatest voices will remain the players and the fans and they/we are the ones that need to drive the process of reform.

26. lfc.eddie

Vote me in as the president, Liverpool FC will be exempted by FFP..... and also if any of our players start biting again, I will give them some ketchup and mustard for flavour.... :-)

27. oldkopite

oldkopite TIA Squad Member

28. SoueysTash

SoueysTash Moderate Mentality

That report will get leaked soon. Only a matter of time until fifa become extinct in their current guise

29. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

This is really getting quite laughable for Fifa now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30491135

It's not legally binding mate, you can't appeal it because, you know, it is what it is...unappealable and all that. I mean, to be honest, did you read the small-print...

As for the two whistle-blowers...nah, we're totally fine. Not only did we not print your actual names (we were very careful about that because we knew that would be...ummm...bad) but also it's not really a disciplinary issue is it? I mean...let's just agree your complaint is going nowhere because nothing dissuades whistle-blowers more than the knowledge that any resistance legitimate objection is futile...

Hope in your heart likes this.
  30. lfc.eddie

That sounded a lot like South East Asian government..... :-)