FIFA officials arrested in Switzerland

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Art Morte6, May 27, 2015.

1. Art Morte6

Art Morte6 Active Member

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32895057

A number of Fifa officials were arrested in dawn raids at a Zurich hotel on Wednesday.

Officials arrived at the Baur au Lac hotel where members of football's world governing body are meeting ahead of Friday's presidential election.

According to the New York Times, the arrests were made at the request of the US Department of Justice.

The department and the Federal Bureau of Investigation will hold a press conference in New York, at 15:30 GMT.

Just woke up and my day's already been made.

2. Nick_LFC

Nick_LFC Bob and Phil from Brazil!

[​IMG]

About damn time.

3. liveforthereds

liveforthereds asp67 twitter

And Blatter said the other day that there was no investgation, How wrong is he let's hope he is or other top officals get implcated as I doubt anyone is going to cover for them at the top.

4. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

It was the 'Night of the Long Knives' in Zurich as it seems... having the vice-president arrested is indeed a major blow for the FIFA. Press-conference is scheduled at 10 am btw.

It will be interesting to see how these arrests influence the vote of Friday...

5. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I bet Blatter will get away with it. If he had any decency, he would resign from his position. I am so glad that FIFA is getting their comeuppance. Its a shame Figo pulled out too early.

6. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Maria, what you and Figo get up to in your own home is strictly between the two of you.

darkvoid, Wyld@Heart, ptt and 4 others like this.
  7. liveforthereds

Boom Boom

Maria likes this.
  8. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Ooh la la, you are naughty but I like you (a line from the Dick Emery show). I never thought of it zat way. Haha!

Seriously, I want Blatter nailed to the proverbial cross. He is the biggest vilain in FIFA.

liveforthereds likes this.
  9. Art Morte6

Art Morte6 Active Member

Apparently Blatter wants the Firday election postponed.

I didn't like Figo's ideas of expanded World Cup and something else I can't recall anymore, but he probably should have stayed in this one, too, until the end. If anything, this will not gain more votes for Blatter.

10. liveforthereds

The whole thing needs to be scrapped and a full investagation help my the Swiss, they said they would only get involved if wrong doing came to light, well the fact the U.S want some people exradited means there is something too do

Maria likes this.
  11. liveforthereds

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-deals-gather-Zurich-elect-new-president.html

More information here

A RAID ON FIFA'S CORRIDORS OF POWER: LIST OF OFFICIALS CHARGED...
    Jeffrey Webb

FIFA vice-president and president of CONCACAF.

The 50-year-old was born and lives in the Cayman Islands and is the Cayman Islands Football Association president.

Previously been hailed by Sepp Blatter as the potential successor to the position of FIFA president.

Eugenio Figueredo

Former footballer and now Uruguayan FA executive.

A former president of CONMEBOL, the South American football federation.

Jack Warner

Former FIFA vice-president and president of CONCACAF from Trinidad and Tobago until he resigned from all his positions in international football in 2011.

He was arrested in relation to corruption in the bidding process for the 2022 Qatar World Cup.

Jack Warner, the former vice-president of Fifa, and his family, were paid around £1million from a Qatari firm close to the country's successful bid for the 2022 bid.

This led to the FBI investigating Trinidad-based Mr Warner and his alleged links to the Qatari bid.

Eduardo Li

President of the Costa Rican Football Association.

Julio Rocha

President of the Nicaraguan Football Federation.

Jose Maria Marin

Vice-president of the Brazil Football Federation and its former president.

The CBF were the football organisation who handed out controversial £16,000 Parmigiani watches at their congress in Sao Paulo a year ago when Marin was chief of the association.

Costas Takkas

A former general secretary of the Cayman Islands Football Association.

Rafael Esquivel

President of the Venezuelan Football Federation since 1988.

Nicolas Leoz

Former CONMEBOL president between 1986 and 2013.

He allegedly wanted the FA Cup named after him in exchange for a vote for England in their attempts to host the 2018 World Cup.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Zurich-elect-new-president.html#ixzz3bKMTYBP0
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

THE SPORTS MARKETING OFFICIALS FACING CHARGES BY THE U.S.
    Alejandro Burzaco

Chief executive of an Argentine sports communications firm 'Torneos y Competencias'.

TyC purchased the broadcasting rights for the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

Aaron Davidson

Chief executive of the North American Soccer League, a professional league in the US and Canada.

Hugo Jinkis

President of Full Play Group, a sports marketing company in Argentina formed in 1998.

Mariano Jinkis

Vice-president of Full Play Group, a sports marketing company in Argentina formed in 1998.

Jose Margulies

Charged as an intermediary who facilitated illegal payments.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Zurich-elect-new-president.html#ixzz3bKMe6Fhe
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

12. LaurazRed

LaurazRed The hopeful one

What's the betting Sepp Blatter manages somehow to squirm out it. But at long last FIFA are not as untouchable as they think. About time too!

Maria likes this.
  13. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

FIFA just confirmed the 2018 and 2022 World Cups will go ahead as planned without any changes....

14. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

FIFA is going to end up being structured like De Beers when all this is done.

15. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Sepp Blatter, is like that Great Escape Artist, forgot his name, somehow, I feel he will get away with it like he always does. However, this unravelling story would make a great film with all this FYI involvement sort of football's version of 'All the President's men, which brought down Watergate. A huge can of worms have been let out.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    LaurazRed likes this.
  16. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

In any sane world the vote would be postponed and once a date is reset Blatter, as the person overseeing the Organization during this unprecedented level of corruption, would have to remove his name from consideration. Is anyone who isnt at least 99% positive that the vote will go ahead though and Blatter will romp it?

LaurazRed likes this.
  17. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

Some of those FIFA vice-presidents that face extradition to the USA and up to 20 years of federal prison time for racketeering, money laundering, accepting and paying bribes, etc., will no doubt roll over on Sepp when they are being pressed by the FBI and are given a choice between 20 yrs or providing information for a reduced sentence. Hope this is the first step in pulling the entire institution down. Great news for fans everywhere. It won't be a quick process but I hope and pray that it will be a thorough one. With Russia's current aggression toward Ukraine and Qatar's many problems (mainly, the thousands of deaths of migrant slave workers building stadiums to host the cup, never mind the problems of playing football in 50 deg C), a complete overhaul would be welcomed by fans everywhere. Move the 2018 to Great Britain, Spain, anywhere in Europe with the current infrastructure to not need massive construction projects to hold the event, and move the 2022 to USA or somewhere not in Europe with the required infrastructure. Rebuild FIFA from the bottom up and let's get it right from here on out.

Maybe SLIGHTLY overambitious with what I want as an outcome of today's events, but hey, it's a start.

18. Hope in your heart

FIFA have already announced that the election will go on as planned on Friday, as will the world cups 2018 and 2022. Talk about being impervious to criticism...

It's worth mentioning though that these arrests are a big blow for Blatter's perspectives for re-election, as the arrested people seem mostly to be loyal servants of Blatter, and their votes and their influence will thus be bitterly missed on Friday from his perspective.

Another point is that FIFA have officially asked the Swiss state to make an inquiry some time ago (after the Garcia report), which is still underway. The latest arrests have happened on demand of the US who conduct their own enquiry, but the action took place under the watch of Swiss authorities and police forces.

Blatter isn't also directly implicated in the on-going inquiries so far. He's also a skillful politician, and I'd still see him as the favourite, no matter what. There is no indication in one direction or the other that the Jordanian prince is more or less corrupt than Blatter, or would do more to eradicate corruption within FIFA than Blatter himself. Let's face it, the whole organisation is probably corrupt to the ground. Just changing one boss and replacing him with another one (who is himself part of the system) isn't going to resolve much.

All that said, I agree with you: guilty or not himself, Blatter should step down now, as these corruption affairs have taken place while he was in charge. That's usually enough reason for any statesman to step down.

19. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

He still has pretty much all of CAF in his pocket, and they have considerably more members that the anti-Blatter group in Europe.

20. Arminius

I don't think FIFA is ever going to hold a World Cup in a country with an extradition treaty with the US again.

21. jgw_geneseo

US DOJ about to give a press conference. I doubt today's arrests will be the last ones made, and don't think this will be the end of the investigating.

22. jgw_geneseo

I certainly doubt that FIFA will meet together to vote in a place with an extradition treaty to the US. China? Croatia? Kazakhstan? Dubai? Both Russia and Qatar qualify as non-extradition countries.

23. jgw_geneseo

US DOJ doing a good job of making it sound like they will do their best to nail everyone at FIFA. Have repeatably said they are not done and this is just the beginning, and will be working with other countries to make sure the corruption ends.

24. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

Blatter gets reelected for sure. He's got all African and Asian votes, which leaves him needing only 5 more or so.

Blatter might get implicated later - those arrested might very well turn on him to save themselves from a few years of being Bubbas bitch in the prison showers.

The Prince is stinking rich and is said to have a totally clean sheet. Probably not all true about the clean sheet, but apparently he's rich enough to not be in need of the perks that follow as FIFA boss.

25. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Too true. Bloody travesty that is. Federation members are 'encouraged' to vote as a bloc and those in CAF are are as corrupt as they come. Absolutely amazed at how blatant it all is.

I managed to catch the US DOJ news conference. Man, those guys mean business. All the big guns were there; US Attorney General, Director of the FBI and the US Attorney. Seriously hard words from all of them on the matter with assurances this is the beginning. About bloody time too, FIFA has behaved as if they are a sovereign state and above any law who have exploited the game for far too long. I hope Blatter and the whole rotten edifice comes tumbling down.

LaurazRed likes this.
  26. SGM

SGM TIA Legend

Blatter probably doesn't have any direct evidence against him... for now. He probably got out of that game a long time ago. I think that bribing was illegal in Switzerland until the fairly recent past, probably became illegal after he came to power. I think those guys will flip on him pretty easily.

27. Hope in your heart

So, the last standings are:

- 14 people arrested (likely to be more shortly)
    - all of them risk between 10 and 20 years prison
    - more than $100 millions bribe money involved, mainly in regards to the 2018 and 2022 world cups
    - Swiss authorities investigated the FIFA building today and looked for more evidence, on papers and computers
    - the vote scheduled on Friday will be delayed by FIFA

- most experts don't think that Blatter will resign. On the contrary, they think that he isn't in danger at all of losing his job...

28. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

This must be the wall shielding Blatter. But for a prison sentence, I think the wall comes down, no?

29. Arminius

30. RMP

RMP TIA First Team

Sounds like an episode of The Wire. Just the mid level players

rupzzz likes this.