FIFA officials arrested in Switzerland

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Art Morte6, May 27, 2015.

1. geebo

geebo Bekloppt ! (German for loopy)

Blatter hasnt gone yet, and will stay un til election that will be between Dec and March.... However, Blazer has revealed the corruption going back 20 odd years as part of his plea bargaining, and Warner has documented evidence of wide scale corruption/ kickbacks/ votes bought, which also compromises Blatter... I somehow dont think that Blatter will last until the elections as the US will be on to him before that. There are yet more people who have been arrested and will reveal all to save their own skin. Excellent news, and its unraveling like a good thriller film:

" He (Blazer) was apprehended by federal agents working for the FBI and IRS in November 2011 as he drove a mobility scooter to an upmarket Manhattan restaurant.

“We can take you away in handcuffs now – or you can cooperate,” one of the agents told Blazer ... Faced with demands for millions in unpaid taxes on commissions he had taken from broadcasting contracts, Blazer agreed to plead guilty and blow the whistle on other top Fifa executives.

He appears to have worked for a sustained period of time as an FBI informant, collecting evidence now at the heart of the emerging prosecution. During the 2012 London Olympics, for example, Blazer is even said to have secretly recorded meetings with several Fifa colleagues using a keyfob with a hidden microphone." From the Guardian.

2. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

I think it was the 2006 vote that was widely assumed to be going to S.A. as it seemed to have the public support of everyone, only for Warner to show up the vote and go against what CONCACAF wanted and vote for Germany instead, thus swaying it their way. I suspect they will find corruption under every stone they choose to turn over, but this may also explain why Germany were not as strongly anti-Blatter/FIFA as many assumed the major Euro powers would be.

DEVGRU likes this.
  3. El Cuchillero

El Cuchillero Més que un pedantic shit.

4. DEVGRU

DEVGRU Banned for the umpteenth time

If only they had the death penalty for corruption.....

5. liveforthereds

liveforthereds asp67 twitter

6. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Fifa communications chief quits

Richard Conway for the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/32959482

Fifa communications chief Walter de Gregorio was asked to leave by Sepp Blatter, despite a statement from football's world governing body claiming he has "relinquished his office."

The root of the disagreement between the two men stems from an article in a Swiss magazine called Klein Report which featured quotes from Klaus J Stohlker, a PR professional utilised on an ad-hoc basis by Mr Blatter.

The article criticised Mr De Gregorio and Fifa's communications strategy. It was published on 2 June - the same day that Mr Blatter announced he would be leaving Fifa.

Walter De Gregorio is said to have confronted Mr Blatter over the article and asked if he supported the views expressed by Mr Stohlker.

He was then subsequently asked to leave Fifa and will remain with the organisation on a consultancy basis until the end of the year.

A ill-timed joke by Mr De Gregorio on Swiss TV is also thought to have helped seal his fate.

At the end of an interview he said: 'The FIFA president, the general secretary and the communications director are all in a car. Who's driving? Answer: The police.'

7. Kopstar

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    spizfromoz and ShadesOfRed like this.
  8. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Lostmyfunk 3421 likes this.
  9. geebo

10. DEVGRU

I hope Blatter leaves NOW..why he wants to stay till December is beyond me...arrest the bastard and his cronies.

What makes it worse is all those corrupt FA's in Asia and Africa are supporting him..I would love to know which FA's in particular because the rot continues there...

11. geebo

http://www.theguardian.com/football...cases-money-laundering-swiss-attorney-general

Swiss investigators are looking into 53 possible cases of money laundering and 104 incidents of suspicious activity in Swiss bank accounts as part of their investigation into the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

The investigation is ongoing, it will interview lots more people, not excluding Blatter and his secretary. And it will take longer than 90 mins.

Looks like a toss up as to who will get him first: The US or the Swiss... Bearing in mind the US cant shoot him with a drone in Switzerland, or kidnap him and take him to Guantanamo, my money in on the Swiss....

Walter Sobchak and spizfromoz like this.
  12. liveforthereds

@geebo that's an interesting video in the link, so it possible that both World Cups could be taken away from both Country's.

spizfromoz likes this.
  13. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

You know, Putin scares me. Take the WC away from Russia and I'd hate to be a neighbouring country.

14. liveforthereds

I would not worry to much about him, he maybe shaking his Rattle at the moment, but he ain't going to pick on anyone who will fight back and 2 I would be very suprised if he did that as it would not get him too far.

15. geebo

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/19/jack-warner-fifa-trinidad-tobago

Cut Jack Warner and he probably bleeds brown envelopes
    The former Fifa vice-president’s promise of an avalanche of evidence in the wake of the corruption crisis has failed to materialise – but we should not be surprised

So, rather predictably, there will be no “avalanche” of incriminating evidence against Fifa and Sepp Blatter from Jack Warner. The former Fifa vice-president said at the beginning of June that he would disclose secretsabout the football governing body, adding that “not even death will stop the avalanche that is coming. The die is cast. There can be no turning back. Let the chips fall where they fall”.

By last weekend he had changed his tune somewhat. “If [Blatter] is down, I give him a helping hand but there are people in this country and outside who like to demonise people,” Warner told the Trinidad Express. “I am not like that and therefore don’t expect me to tell you anything about Blatter or Fifa. I am not like that.”
    Was anyone surprised? I wasn’t. I had predicted this outcome in a column for Wired868 which explained the self-interest behind his threat – a threat that was never going to lead to a real exposé.

Warner still plans to release a book within six months, titled The Political Life of Jack Warner. “It’s going to be a best-seller,” said Warner, who is an MP inTrinidad and Tobago.

It is not hard to imagine his staunchest critics making advance orders, although fairly certain that they will be disappointed by the time they reach the epilogue.

It is almost five years since Warner took his leave from football in disgrace. Here was an administrator so crooked that even Fifa felt he made it look bad, at a time when corruption was all the rage. But he could never really divorce himself. No more than Paul McCartney could leave the Beatles behind.

Cut Warner and he probably bleeds brown envelopes, just waiting to be stuffed with US dollars. Maybe he sleeps with one stiff arm thrust upwards with palm exposed and on his lips the catchphrase: “What can you do for me?”

These days Warner has become such a farcical figure that he has literally taken to grappling with comedians and satirical publications. “Everybody hates you now, I mean literally, everybody,” said the British comedian John Oliver during a five-minute monologue that he paid to be aired on Trinidad and Tobago television. “I think it’s something to do with you seeming like an absolutely terrible human being. But if you turn on Fifa do not underestimate how much people might be willing to forgive and if one day you end up in jail and you’re staring up at the ceiling, wouldn’t you be happy to know you took some people down with you? It’s like they say: snitches gets smooches.”

Warner, barely a week after he mistook an Onion article for a straight news report, again seemed to drag his response wide of the mark.

“I don’t need any advice from any comedian fool who doesn’t know anything about this country to tell me what files to release or what not to release,” said Warner in his retort, which was uploaded on YouTube. “That is none of his business and I take no instructions from him. And worse yet, I don’t take any instructions from an American [sic] at this point in time.”

Once upon a time a frequent traveller who was treated as a visiting dignitary in any of Fifa’s other 208 member associations, Warner cannot spot an English accent these days.

It has been a long way down for the administrator who once had the former South Africa president and global icon Nelson Mandela defy doctors’ orders to travel to Trinidad. Mandela was the guest of honour at a charitable dinner held by Warner at the controversial João Havelange Centre of Excellence in 2004. But the Cyril Ross Home for children with HIV/Aids said it never saw a cent of that money. Warner reportedly said expenditure for the event had exceeded income.

Haiti’s earthquake victims, according to the country’s football president Dr Yves Jean-Bart, received barely $60,000 of the $750,000 that Warner ostensibly raised from the South Korea Football Association and Fifa on their behalf in 2010.

Such tales epitomise the real Warner: influential, greedy, heartless and completely devoid of shame.

The question on your lips is not so much “why” as it is “how”? How did he get away with it? And how is it that such a man can hold a seat in Trinidad and Tobago’s parliament as the MP for Chaguanas West, which is a constituency of roughly 28,000 people?

The answer to that is straightforward: because we let him. And, by “we”, I’m not referring only to my compatriots in Trinidad and Tobago. There was little sophistication to the financial crimes that the US Department of Justice alleges were committed by Warner. Trinidad and Tobago’s Financial Intelligence Unit, tasked since 2013 with unearthing money laundering, has never secured a single conviction. Warner denies any wrongdoing.

Austin Warner was born on 26 January 1943 in the small, rural village of Rio Claro in south Trinidad. He was the third of seven children to Wilton and Stella Warner, a truck driver and house wife respectively.

He was poor but by Trinidadian standards. That means he did not miss too many meals, he owned school books and his family could afford to send him to school in Port of Spain, nearly an hour’s drive away. Media tales of Warner walking to school barefooted are a myth, although he probably did have tattered shoes.

Warner was a decent student at national level but never a brilliant one and he failed to get a national scholarship to the top secondary schools such as St Mary’s College and Queen’s Royal College. At the College of St Philip and St James, which later became Presentation College, Warner claimed a mathematics teacher once called him “jackass” as he fumbled in class. Students, who teased Warner often, rechristened him “Jack” and he used the slight as fuel to rise beyond their wildest dreams.

Warner was 21 when Trinidad and Tobago joined Fifa in time to attempt, unsuccessfully, to qualify for the World Cup in England in 1966. He was never any good with the ball at his feet but, at the age of 30, he became the Trinidad and Tobago FA’s youngest ever general secretary.

By then Warner had come to grips with his real talent, which was bluster and politics. Months later, the Brazilian Havelange, the man he proclaimed to be his mentor, replaced the Englishman Sir Stanley Rous as Fifa president.

Warner’s worth to Trinidad and Tobago and Caribbean football is often overstated.

The national football team was on the brink of a 1974 World Cup place and controversially finished second to Haiti, after losing 2-1 despite scoring five goals – four of which were disallowed – against the Haitians. It was another 16 years before Trinidad and Tobago did nearly as well, as many of the islands’overseas-based stars quit after clashes with Warner over unkept promises or ill-treatment.

On 19 November 1989 the Trinidad and Tobago coach Everald “Gally” Cummings, who was a key midfielder in 1973, swore that Warner created a scenario which made qualification for the 1990 World Cup almost impossible. The home team, nicknamed the “Strike Squad”, needed only a point against USA and were heavy favourites but everything about their matchday preparation was disastrous.

Most famously, Warner grossly oversold tickets for the 22,000-seat National Stadium and approximately 35,000 fans squeezed into the venue while thousands more almost caused a riot outside. The Strike Squad players, including an 18-year-old Aston Villa-bound Dwight Yorke, had to be lifted over the mob by soldiers before kick-off in the biggest game of their lives.

United States won 1-0 and Trinidad and Tobago players and supporters wept openly. But Warner’s rapid rise in Fifa began. The following day, according to Warner’s authorised biography, he started his campaign for the Concacaf presidency with the help of the American administrator Chuck Blazer and, later, Havelange.

In Trinidad the government responded to public outrage over 19 November by opening a commission of inquiry into allegations of fraud over bogus match tickets and the endangerment of the lives of football fans. However, rather than sanction Warner, Havelange awarded Trinidad and Tobago a fair play award for the behaviour of fans. And Warner used that award and his promotion to the role of Concacaf president as proof he had done nothing wrong.

If the world was elevating him, he argued, then why should Trinidad and Tobago try to drag him back down? And wouldn’t the two-island republic be embarrassing itself in the process?

All over the globe, he claimed, people were laughing at how those backward islands were mistreating a man of such obvious talents. The state’s commission of inquiry never officially ended but justice Lionel Seemungal was starved of resources. The inquiry paused and was never resumed.

It was the closest Warner ever came to justice in his homeland.

What happened next, according to the United States attorney general, Loretta E Lynch, is Warner and Blazer embarked on a racketeering spree of bribes and bid-rigging over the next two decades, carving up well over $150m in bribes between themselves and their associates.

Concacaf never held a single award ceremony in their 21-year reign to honour players such as Yorke, the former United States and Manchester City midfielder Claudio Reyna and the Mexico and Manchester United striker Javier Hernández. But Warner, a former history teacher, became a multimillionaire while Blazer infamously rented an apartment in Trump Tower for his cats.

Havelange gave Warner the World Cup’s television rights for the Caribbean at the price of only $1 in 1998, supposedly to raise money for the Caribbean Football Union (CFU). But when Warner left Fifa in 2011, the CFU did not even have the funds to hold an AGM.

The Trinidad and Tobago FA was also more than $7m in debt and its financial documents suggested that millions of sponsorship money and Fifa aid wasdiverted into Warner-owned accounts and businesses. And the Caribbean, which provided half of Concacaf’s top six places in the 1974 World Cup qualifiers with Haiti, Trinidad and Tobago and the Netherland Antilles in first, second and sixth place respectively, became the confederation’s whipping boys after the formation of the CFU.

Although Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica qualified once each – thanks to expanded World Cup tournaments – the Caribbean teams became largely also-rans on the football field, even as their administrators grew richer every year.

Fifa did not only turn a blind eye. The South Africa 2010 World Cup’s local organising committee’s $10m payment, through the global body to Warner’s phantom Diaspora Legacy Programme, suggested the Trinidadian found willing accomplices in Fifa’s executive committee, who allowed the misuse of funds ostensibly meant to develop the Caribbean. South Africa’s government and football federation have denied the payment was a bribe.

The money, according to the US indictment, was funnelled to Warner’s Republic Bank accounts in Trinidad in three tranches from Fifa, via a Bank of America account in New York.

From the largesse, a Trinidad Express investigation claimed, Warner laundered more than $5m through unwitting, legitimate Trinidad-owned businesses including JTA Group and International Shipping Limited (ISL). The JTA Group, ISL and Warner shared the same accounting firm that sometimes did Concacaf’s and the TTFA’s books.

Carl Mack, owner and director of the JTA Group, told the Trinidad Express that foreign currency purchases had been done from Warner by the accounting firm and the requisite source of funds declarations were made in each case. ISL’s financial controller, Rishi-Nirvan Balroop, said the company had bought US dollars, dealing only with the same accountants, and that: “At no point was ISL ever in a position to investigate or suspect the source of these funds and we discharged our responsibilities in accordance with industry norms and standards.”

Warner reportedly used more than $2m to clear off credit card debts and another $236,000 to repay a loan. The rest was funnelled through several Warner-owned companies and accounts.

The US indictments state Warner promised Blazer a $1m cut but paid him only $750,000. There was never a surfeit of honour within this bunch of “good fellas”.

How many other nations danced to Warner’s crooked tune and helped him to keep his credit cards plump?

Five years ago England’s 2018 World Cup bid team seemed to get uncomfortable when I asked for the cost of their six-day football camp at the Centre of Excellence.

“That is for David Beckham to answer,” said the bid team CEO Andy Anson, before promptly ending his media chat. “The cost is irrelevant,” said Phil Mepham, the media coordinator for the 2018 bid. “We are not getting into that.”

“I don’t know how much it costs but as long as the kids are happy,” said Beckham. “Hopefully if we do get the World Cup, it would continue.”

Fifa’s rules of conduct at the time forbade bidding teams from not only monetary gifts but also “any benefit, opportunity, promise, remuneration or service to any of such individuals, in connection with the bidding process”.

It might have been worse for England, of course. Warner initially asked the FA’s bid team to send the Queen.

In Trinidad, Warner’s fortunes, by then, seemed hopelessly intermingled with some of society’s most influential figures. Unsurprising when you consider that one man was allegedly laundering millions of dollars into a country with the population of Birmingham.

“Mr Warner has been a friend of mine for many years,” Joseph Harris told the Trinidad Newsday. “I have never been a fair-weather friend … As a Catholic and a Christian you have to follow the example of Jesus Christ.”

Joseph Harris, in case you are wondering, is Trinidad and Tobago’s Roman Catholic archbishop.

“Mr Warner may have donated money to individual parishes and I cannot keep tabs on all of that,” said Harris. “I suppose he did … I don’t know that it was tainted money that he gave to the church. We do not go behind every donation.”

Fortunately, the United States Department of Justice appears not to be as nonchalant about dirty money.

In truth, many people in Trinidad are happy for the United States to take a problem off their hands that they lack the stomach to address themselves. But then the same could possibly be said of global football nations who hope the FBI may somehow fix Fifa for them.

Excellent story of Warner`s rise to fame, and his history of fraud etc..... real name "Austin", the name Jack comes from "jackass".

schmee likes this.
  16. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Maradona tipped to run for FIFA president.... going to be hell of a ride if he gets it. Hahahaha.

DEVGRU likes this.
  17. schmee

schmee Am I my own mentor or my own worst enemy?

Well apparently Blatter hasn't resigned, according to the man himself. So God knows if he's ever actually going to leave or not as he's said to be putting his name into the hat for this next election despite stating that the election would be for his successor and explicitly stating that he would not be running.

(On phone at the minute. Will get a link for the news when I'm back on the computer later).

18. DEVGRU

Sometimes you wished he would just DIE.....and go away.

19. Kopstar

20. A True Red From NZ

A True Red From NZ True Red @atrueredfromnz

[​IMG]

21. RedCanuck099

RedCanuck099 Well-Known Member

Blatter was unfazed at having 'pocket change' thrown at him.

22. Art Morte6

Art Morte6 Active Member

The BBC:
    Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke has been put on leave and released from his duties until further notice.

A Fifa statement said it had "been made aware of a series of allegations involving the secretary general".

lol

23. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

FIFA Ethics panel may soon take action on Sepp Blatter and Platini says Swiss paper http://www.trust.org/item/20151007150735-3jbk7…

ZURICH, Oct 7 (Reuters) - FIFA's ethics committee has convened and could soon take action on Sepp Blatter, head of the world soccer body, or UEFA head Michel Platini amid a widening corruption scandal, Swiss newspaper Tages-Anzeiger reported on Wednesday.

The adjudicatory chamber can provisionally suspend officials for up to 90 days, as it did after police acting on U.S. warrants arrested seven FIFA officials in Zurich in May.

The paper said the ethics panel's chamber had gathered on Monday in Zurich, FIFA's home town.

"Everything suggests that decisions on the future of football titans Blatter and Platini are imminent," the Zurich-based paper said without citing a source for its information.

A spokesman for the chamber declined comment.

Swiss prosecutors last month opened a criminal investigation into Blatter over a TV rights contract he signed and a 2011 payment of 2 million Swiss francs ($2.1 million) to Platini, whose status the Swiss attorney general has described as being between a witness and an accused person.

Both have denied any wrongdoing.

Former Senegal Sports Minister Abdoulaye Diop, a member of the chamber, told Senegal's state news agency APS this week that the commission would address the cases of Blatter, Platini and FIFA presidential hopeful Chung Mong-joon in meetings due to last until Friday.

South Korean Chung said this week he was facing a 15-year suspension by FIFA's ethics committee that has "sabotaged" his election campaign but denied wrongdoing.

Chung told a news conference in Seoul he was being charged with violating six articles from FIFA's Code of Ethics, which he said stemmed from his "support" for South Korea's 2022 World Cup bid and his proposal to launch a Global Football Fund.

Bound by confidentiality rules, FIFA's ethics committee has also not made any statements on Chung's case and there was no immediate response to his comments on Tuesday.

24. Kanonkop

Sepp Blatter, Michel Platini, Jerome Valcke suspended, Chung Mong-Joon banned; full Fifa statement here http://www.fifa.com/governance/news/y=2015/m=10/news=independent-ethics-committee-bans-several-football-officials-2709916.html…

The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee chaired by Hans Joachim Eckert has provisionally banned FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter, UEFA President and FIFA Vice-President Michel Platini, and FIFA Secretary General Jérôme Valcke (who has already been put on leave by his employer FIFA) for a duration of 90 days. The duration of the bans may be extended for an additional period not exceeding 45 days. The former FIFA Vice-President Chung Mong-joon has been banned for six years and fined CHF 100,000. During this time, the above individuals are banned from all football activities on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately.

The grounds for these decisions are the investigations that are being carried out by the investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee. The chairman of the chamber is Dr Cornel Borbély. The investigation into Joseph S. Blatter is being carried out by Robert Torres, the investigation into Michel Platini by Vanessa Allard.

The proceedings against the South Korean football official Chung Mong-joon were opened in January 2015 based on findings in the report on the investigation into the bidding process for the 2018/2022 FIFA World Cups™. He has been found guilty of infringing article 13 (General rules of conduct), article 16 (Confidentiality), article 18 (Duty of disclosure, cooperation and reporting), article 41 (Obligation of the parties to collaborate) and article 42 (General obligation to collaborate) of the FIFA Code of Ethics.

The Ethics Committee is unable to comment on the details of the decisions until they become final, due to the provisions of article 36 (Confidentiality) of the FIFA Code of Ethics.

25. Bodger

Bodger Well-Known Member

quelle fucking surprise....

FIFA just stinks of corruption. All you need to do is look at which two countries are hosting the next 2 world cups. Blatter is a criminal and should be locked up, except he has minions who do his dirty work for him, and you just know he'll get off scot free. It's shocking that the beautiful game is run by crooks who are guided solely by money.

I also always saw Platini as the good guy...maybe its just a case of him being less bad than the FIFA lot. The whole organisation needs a complete restructuring and it needs to place the improvement/progression of the football world at the centre of its cause.

When pigs fly eh......

26. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

I just love this. Platini going for the big job, too. FIFA doesn't seem to get any better. In other industries, can a crime boss run the police force?

Oh. Perhaps they do in some places.

27. Kanonkop

Can't see Platini's candidacy survive this.

28. carragold

carragold TIA Youth Team

Yes if he is as big as Pablo Escobar.

29. DEVGRU

Is there ANYONE left in FIFA with ANY integrity and honesty and wants to do good for the game of football and isn't thinking about making himself rich?

30. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Just heard, Sepp Blatter has been hospitalised due to stress. His whole world is collapsing around him since he had to shred alot of documents.