FIFA officials arrested in Switzerland

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Art Morte6, May 27, 2015.

1. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

And so it begins.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34751968

2. liveforthereds

liveforthereds asp67 twitter

3. Professional Grass

Professional Grass TIA Regular

4. DEVGRU

DEVGRU Banned for the umpteenth time

Pressure is now on FIFA to make a decision now...before the end of December...or he will be allowed to stand for elections..which does not bode well for the whole demand for change and an end to this corruption nonsense.

5. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

How? This upheld the ban, and unless something changes he will not be able to stand.

6. Professional Grass

Professional Grass TIA Regular

He was suspended for 90 days in October and FIFA's Ethics Committee will render a verdict this Monday as to whether he'll be banned for life (or other sanctions). If he's not found guilty by the Ethics Committee, I believe he then has no legal barrier to standing for the FIFA presidential elections this coming February.

7. DEVGRU

Everyone it seem's is rotten to the core..what utter nonsense this is he got paid 1.1 million or whatever it is..and this excuse he waited 8-10 years to get paid because FIFA had no money..utter LIES...!

8. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini have banned from Football activities for 8 years. Yes! Yes! Yes! If you fight and never give up, justice prevails.

I cannot believe Blatter is still thinks he is the victim here and is still protesting his innocence in the FIFA. He has lost his marbles.

ShadesOfRed and LaurazRed like this.
  9. LaurazRed

LaurazRed The hopeful one

That's cheered me up a bit. To honest Blatter is just pathetic. He lost the plot years ago. He's just a deluded power hungry maniac.

Maria likes this.
  10. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

He still doesn't get it. He really believes he "is FIFA ". He is so unrepentant. He is sick (in the head) and just cannot let it go. He is clutching on very few straws.

LaurazRed and datapolo like this.
  11. LaurazRed

As he laughably stated, I am president of the world. The man has no conscience or humility. Lock him up.

12. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I think he needs a lobotomy on top of that. He really is a cartoonist character. H

LaurazRed likes this.
  13. LaurazRed

You could give him one. ;-)

14. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

lollollol, I think @NZred is Medic we could get him to get the scalpel out.:-)

It really annoys me he has no remorse, Blatter. He is minted for life financially, he should go into oblivion quietly and spare the footballing world of his ramblings

DEVGRU, oldkopite and LaurazRed like this.
  15. Kopstar

A cynic would suggest this is just the latest machiavellian act from a man devoid of any integrity. It starts with a hospitalisation for a minor emotional breakdown, followed by an unkempt appearance, a plaster on his face, irrational and disjointed remarks to the media...whatever happens, this man is not going to see any time behind bars. Is that his intention? Not for me to say but it's remarkable how well-timed his manoeuvrings always appear to be. Must be the Swiss in him.

16. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Now now... behave yourself!... ;-)

17. Kopstar

That comment was purely about his adept timing...not implying that the Swiss are all corrupt! :-)

In fact, I think Gianni Infantino could be the man to move FIFA forward.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  18. oldkopite

oldkopite TIA Squad Member

I hope that jailtime is the inevitable outcome for him and Platini

19. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I have a feeling he will escape jail, he is like a cat with 9 lives or a houdini who is the master of escapology and because of his age. Not sure about Platini though.

20. peter roberts

peter roberts Fuck the system

Blatter is the only one with a criminal investigation hanging over him as far as I know. Let's hope the Swiss authorities decide to make an example of him. The guy has become an embarrassment to them.

21. NZred

NZred The Red From NZ

You'd think with the ridiculous amount of injuries I've had that I would be, or at least qualified by experience. Alas, I am not.

Still willing to give it a try though.

Kopstar likes this.
  22. DEVGRU

It's just6 disgusting Blatter thinks he is innocent and is acting like someone who has done no wrong...but after reading the guardian's extensive write up about this clown, I have absolutely NO REMORSE for him or Platini or the rest of the idiots responsible for the amount of corruption at the highest levels of power at FIFA.

23. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Make no error lads, the CAS will find both of them not guilty in this payment affair. Blatter might remain banned from football for the rest of his life, because he has a lot to answer for in this generally corrupt system FIFA have established over the years, but I'm absolutely sure that Platini's ban will be rescinded. The only problem for him is the timing which will likely see him miss out on the chance to compete for the FIFA president job.

Obviously, influential people within FIFA have decided that they don't want him to be there (probably for purely personal interests). UEFA are still backing him 100% in this affair, which is in my humble opinion a nothing story, made up in order to harm his chances. I'm not naive enough to imagine that FIFA (or UEFA) is now a perfectly clean association, just because Blatter and Platini have been banned. There are other people equally guilty, and not all of them have been seized yet.

Infantino for instance has been in a leading role at the UEFA since 2009. Platini's right hand so to say. But of course, if Platini is indeed corrupt, he knows nothing about anything regarding corruption. Yeah sure... :rolleyes: And otherwise, who is on the list?

• First a filthy-rich sheikh from Bahrain who is highly suspected to have sanctioned athletes who were against the government to be arrested and tortured. He's considered as the favourite as long as Platini is out of the running, and honestly, the mind boggles here... :unhappy:
    • Second, one of the sons of the current Jordanian king, firmly put in place by Blatter's favours at the time (without any corruption of course...), but he's a crass outsider anyway.
    • Third, a South-African mining magnate (South-African mines are widely renowned for the human way how they treat their workers... ahem...), suspected of corruption himself in regards to the attribution of the 2010 World Cup.
    • Finally, a French FIFA official, largely seen as one of Blatter's puppets. Hasn't any real chance.

Honestly, looking at this bunch of candidates (here is a short presentation of each of them: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...rs-for-the-Fifa-presidency.html?frame=3483625), Platini remains for me the best choice, by far. He's at least someone coming from football, but that's probably the exact reason why some people try to exclude him from the running.

Football must remain a (corrupt) business first, ain't it? No room for former players there.

Professional Grass, NZred and DEVGRU like this.
  24. DEVGRU

Sad isn't it that this is where we are as far as both european and global football is concerned.

It's just depressing.

I suspect, whoever win's will be a Blatter proxy simply because Asia, Africa and the other smaller regions have a system in place with Blatter where money flows down to them and essentially keeps them voting and supporting him or whoever stands on his behalf. It's not new. It's an old system that goes back decades sadly and it is corruption BUT, in any association and organization, if you want people to vote for you, no matter how corrupt they may be, it means sucking up to them and giving them something but never nothing if you want to stay in power.

I am pretty sure it's the same in most sports now days. Look at the world athletic body as a prime example.

Sports administration has never been clean in general. It's just a matter of how obvious and how much shit comes down stream and how easy it is to spot or not sadly.

But I am glad both Platini and Blatter have gotten the 8 years but wholly agree CAS may over turn the 8 year ruling..but still, keeping some hope that justice will prevail and both will be told to go away and will lose their appeals to CAS.

Fingers crossed.

Professional Grass likes this.
  25. Kopstar

Ok, Infantino has been elected the new President of FIFA. Let's hope he is given the freedom to implement the real change required.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35673743

Switzerland's Gianni Infantino has succeeded countryman Sepp Blatter as Fifa president.

The Uefa secretary general polled 115 votes in round two, 27 more than closest rival Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim al-Khalifa.

Prince Ali bin al-Hussein was third with four, while Jerome Champagne failed to get any. Tokyo Sexwale withdrew before voting began in Zurich.

The first round of voting had failed to determine an outright winner.

A simple majority of more than 50 per cent - 104 votes - was sufficient for victory in the second round.

Infantino is a 45-year-old lawyer from Brig in the Valais region of Switzerland, less than six miles from Blatter's hometown of Visp.

Blatter, who led world football's governing body since 1998, stood down last year and was later banned from football for six years.

Infantino's pledge

An emotional Infantino told delegates that he was finding it hard to "express my feelings in this moment".

But he told delegates that together they would "restore the image of Fifa and the respect of Fifa".

He added: "I want to work with all of you together in order to restore and rebuild a new era of Fifa where we can put again football at the centre of the stage.

"Fifa has gone through sad times, moments of crisis, but those times are over. We need to implement the reform and implement good governance and transparency. We also need to have respect.

"We're going to win back this respect through hard work, commitment and we're going to make sure we can finally focus on this wonderful game."

Reaction

Gary Lineker, an outspoken critic of Fifa and former president Blatter, wished Infantino "all the best" following his appointment.

The former England striker added on Twitter: "He's got one hell of a job on his hands but seems a decent chap. Needs a sizeable new broom."

The television presenter then joked: "Have this weird feeling that Gianni Infantino will pull off his mask to reveal Sepp Blatter."

What else happened?

Before voting began, reforms were passed to help make Fifa a more transparent and accountable organisation.

All salaries will be disclosed, while a limit of four years has been placed on a president's term.

A new council to replace the current executive committee has also been introduced, featuring a female representative from each confederation.

Greg Dyke, who will cast a vote as chairman of the English Football Association, says the reforms are "more important" than the new leader as it will provide an "opportunity for Fifa to start again".

26. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

27. cynicaloldgit

cynicaloldgit Well-Known Member

An opportunity for real change wasted...

28. DEVGRU

I just do not trust the fella....a lawyer especially...

29. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Why is there skepticism with the new fellow? Surely, he is better than Shaikh Salman, no? I prefered Prince Ali of Jordan, tbh.

30. Kaliberbeats

Kaliberbeats Well-Known Member

It's just papering over the cracks. All they've learned from this is don't be stupid enough to move money thru America.