Gary Neville, son of Neville Neville, now seeking employment

Discussion in 'European Football' started by ILLOK, Dec 2, 2015.

1. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

2. ILLOK

DEVGRU, Dave-D, OhYaBeauty and 6 others like this.
  3. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

How pissed off must Phil be?! haha

4. RichLFC

RichLFC TIA First Team

Always struck me as the brighter one of the two

Still, will be interesting if he arses up Moyes style or actually does well

Got Peter Lim's paws all over it of course, but think he could be a good coach despite lack of obvious experience

5. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Wowzer, that's a bit of a shock, isn't it? Will be a shame not to hear his match analysis on Sky now.

Wish him well, funnily enough. Despite his history he came across as decent person post-retirement and as a pundit told it how it is, better than the anodyne stuff you get on MOTD now.

6. RichLFC

RichLFC TIA First Team

Doesn't have half the brains of his brother though tbh. Not suprised he got passed over for the main job

May be better off playing the Pascoe for a bit

7. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Probably for the best that England has already qualified for the Euros

8. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

He is apparently remaining with the England team, guess that's why its only til the end of the season.

Bit gutted as I'm not sure who Sky will get in, potentially Jamie will do it on his own. Love Carragher's comment mind.... Suppose maybe Henry?

9. Sound as a Pound

Sound as a Pound TIA Midfield General

Henry - quality player, but shite pundit

WrinkledMind likes this.
  10. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Fits rite in that....

One day Gary Neville will be taking over from Van Gaal..... Yeah.

11. WrinkledMind

WrinkledMind Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.

Always the bridesmaid, kinda hilarious.

Agree with @Sound as a Pound Henry is shite. Didi would be a smashing option and he has chemistry with Carra. Could be our Rodgers too. He loves to talk. I am sure @lfc.eddie would be absolutely hooked to MNF if they get hold of Rodgers.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  12. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I'm not sure Jamie has that good of a relationship with Brendan anymore. Henry was rubbish when he did it but he is the poster boy for Sky. Didi was on Sky a while back wasn't he so potential there.

Also a gap in commentary, Alan Smith must be over the moon and that random bloke who no one actually knows who he is.

13. RedCanuck099

RedCanuck099 Well-Known Member

He can take over for Hodgson when we crash out of the Euro's on penalties.

14. Art Morte6

Art Morte6 Active Member

Wow.

Well, he comes across as a smart pundit (although that doesn't say much considering their average quality) and I'm sure he won't be the stupidest manager out there.

That said, taking over at Valencia as your first managerial job probably shouldn't happen. There's bound to be a learning curve and that should probably take place at a smaller club than Valencia. Obviously he would never have been even in contention if his Statford FC co-owner wasn't also the owner of Valencia.

The best part is obviously the fact that Phil Neville was already a coach at Valencia and Gary just comes along like that and becomes the manager while Phil remains a coach. Forever in his brother's shadow, as a player and as a would-be manager.

15. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

I think they'll probably just alternate guests for the rest of the season. As long as Henry and Redknapp aren't considered as serious replacements.

16. Art Morte6

Art Morte6 Active Member

I heard it'll be Fabio Capello.

"This team can go forward. All the team, the coaches, their mind is free. We can go forward without fear, without everything".

17. vetle12345

vetle12345 Active Member

Who wants to see Rodgers filling Nevilles void on MNF?

spizfromoz likes this.
  18. ILLOK

Not me, that's for sure.

vetle12345 likes this.
  19. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I kind of would like to see it, though Souness and Rodgers in a studio would be even funnier considering how those two along with Neville were the lone voices in saying he should go, though Shearer and Gullit also agreed the results were not there.

20. vetle12345

vetle12345 Active Member

I'd love to see him every week on there, just for the fun of it really. Imagine him trying to school Carra on various aspects. Defending for example.

21. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear Brendan's commentaries on defensive flaws.

22. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Never thought I'd say this but I'll miss Gary, fantastic punditry.

23. Gegen Pretzel

Gegen Pretzel Novato Papa

Yeah, one of the few around who focused on the tactics and shapes of teams and could quickly analyze why one side was outperforming the other within that framework. He a little too often fell back on the lazy criticism of individual players, often getting far too animated about players being in the wrong positions, but otherwise he was quite ahead of his peers in terms of analysis. He seems to have a fairly keen tactical mind although I'm not entirely confident it will translate to La Liga or his personality will work well over there, but at least he gets an opportunity to try his hand at top-level management out of the spotlight of the British media, which was probably a big part of the attraction (aside from lucking into managing Valencia as your first job in management). I don't really care if he fails or does well over there, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does well enough if he and a gaggle of the United ex-players take over from Van Gaal in a few years. Can only be good for us if that does happen as it's a sign they're beginning to look to their history for answers to their future, which has been a mistake we've made repeatedly.

Ataturk likes this.
  24. Vidocq

Vidocq from doubter to believer

the new Brendan Rodgers... he likes to talk about football a lot

25. Barnestormer

Barnestormer Left wing.

We will only have to wait a few months - you cannot start a managerial career at a club of the magnitude as Valencia.

But like Zoran I will miss his punditry, as I expect will Carra, really good for a Munc.

Its a nailed on sack tho and he will pundit once again.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  26. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

And even if he could...not being able to speak the club's language won't help him either. Too much could be lost in translation.

But he will be gone anyway next summer.
    If he somehow succeeds (unlikely but not impossible) he'll get offers from the premier league or the england job and move back to england.

And if he fails he won't get a new contract at valencia.

It'll only be for a few months.

Barnestormer likes this.
  27. Ataturk

Ataturk ★★★★★

Unlike Moyes I hope he does well, though I think the language barrier will be too much of an issue, for example if Klopp couldn't speak English I don't think he could've connected with the players half as much. And unless Gary is the Lawnmower man it will take many months to have a decent level, by which time his contract will be almost up. If I were a Valencia fan I would be pretty miffed at being used as a testing ground like this, and even if he does well there's a good chance he'll use this job as a springboard for a big job in England.

28. DEVGRU

DEVGRU Banned for the umpteenth time

I hope Neville actually does well...and does not regret leaving Punditry for this level of stress....but anyways, let's see how good he is and if he can do the business or will he end up going back to square up with Carra.

29. Vidocq

Vidocq from doubter to believer

why would anyone want him to do well? if he does well, he will get the manutd job,and that would be pain in the arse considering how many friends he have in the media

FGred likes this.
  30. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

Because not everbody wants to see a seemingly sound bloke fail because of such narrow-minded reasons?

Rambler, RMP, ptt and 1 other person like this.