Gary Neville, son of Neville Neville, now seeking employment

Discussion in 'European Football' started by ILLOK, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Vidocq

Vidocq from doubter to believer

he's not a sound bloke at all... he have pathological hate towards scousers

2. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Someone should have told him Carragher is a scouser.

AussieLFC79 likes this.
  3. Vidocq

Vidocq from doubter to believer

he did pretty well hiding that in front of Carra...

4. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

His first game is going to be against Barcelona..... That should be fun.

5. ozyred

ozyred Member

That language barrier will be a bitch. Apparently.phil 's spanish has really improved though so he could get the message across. (For those saying phil was bridesmaid, he couldnt get the job as he doesnt have the required badges yet)

Really cant see this working out

6. AussieLFC79

AussieLFC79 TIA Regular

I have a gut feeling he may turn out to be a betting manager than many people think. He seems very clued up tactically and a lot of his ex england teammates talk him up for being a natural leader able to easily connect with anyone which will be a massive favour considering his lack of speaking Spanish for the first few months

7. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

No, his first game in charge will be against Lyon in the CL.
    I guess it was a wise decision not to sit on the bench vs. Barca.
    He could not have known they'll be able to get a draw.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  8. lfc.eddie

My bad, I thought he is going to be on the job. I still wonder why he is being hired with no prior credentials.

9. won it at-a-turk stadium

won it at-a-turk stadium TIA Regular

The partnership with Peter Lim.

Peter Lim probably sees Gary Neville as a big name. He probably wants a "big name" manager (somebody well known to the fans of the world) that can grab as many supporters to Valencia as possible. Gary Neville brings some of those Man Utd "fans" and media interest along to their club to try to help them a bit off the field and Gary Neville maybe able to hold his own at a club like Valencia in a league like La Liga until someone is available for the full time gig.

Maybe he will try to create a relationship between Valencia and Man Utd given the links between Lim and Man Utd, Lim and Jorge Mendes, Valencia and Jorge Mendes and also Jorge Mendes and Man Utd

Everyone is in bed with each other

10. lfc.eddie

Yeah I know, just didn't understand the rationale because this fella is always into really big name. Even in Singapore, whatever he does has always been some big brand and has to be significantly better than the rest type. Then he went for Gary Neville. The problem lies in their structure which when Valencia former CEO left and Peter Lim installed a Singaporean lady to run the show, and this is the fear of most football fans - having a corporate finance person with zero experience in football (don't even follow the game) to run the club. Valencia's group of technical management staff left after the Singaporean took over, he didn't even bothered to find a proper replacement.

I like the club, and worried this is going to be another club ruined by someone who buys the club because he can.

11. won it at-a-turk stadium

won it at-a-turk stadium TIA Regular

And to think this Peter Lim almost succeeded in buying Liverpool. The guy sounds like a grade A plank

12. Professional Grass

Professional Grass TIA Regular

But we're talking about Gary "the rat" Neville here. Seemingly sound bloke???:eh?:

I imagine Gary is as anti LFC as it gets (second only to Fungusface perhaps). He is also pro man u as it gets and was old whiskey nose's right hand man. A 1000 years of baths would not remove the stench of scum off of him -- he is tainted for life as a manc scum as far as I'm concerned.

Granted he's a good pundit and I don't wish him ill will otherwise, but I do want to see him fail miserably at Valencia and get the sack by new years.

Vidocq and lfc.eddie like this.
  13. RaoulDuke

Rooney is anti liverpool (a scouser though) and still was/is one of steven gerrards' good england pals.

I don't care about nevilles past as long as his activities as manager don't hinder LFC in the league.
    There are so few young, upcoming english managers that I can live with his past and don't see a reason why he should fail at valencia (or in the PL as long as it's a club who doesn't beat LFC or finishes above LFC).

Maybe you don't know, but I support LFC and england.
    And now with even monk gone, beggars can't be choosers.

Professional Grass likes this.
  14. Professional Grass

You're a better man than I, RD. I despise Neville and I just can't get over it. Same for Rooney & Owen regardless of their friendships with Gerrard & Carragher respectively.

I am well aware and applaud your support of England (also remember how you championed Strurridge back then -- good call). I understand your position, but must England pin their hopes on the rat?

RaoulDuke likes this.
  15. RaoulDuke

To quote achilles from the troy movie:
    "Is there no one else?"
    I'm afraid there isn't.
    Maybe monk, if he finds another job. Sweeting mentioned karl robinson a few years ago. I don't know what happened to him.

Plus I believe neville did a good job with england in the last two qualifying campaigns.
    Because it's hard to imagine roy was able to achieve those results by himself :-)

Professional Grass likes this.
  16. Professional Grass

I'll meet you half-way -- I will begrudgingly "support" his success with Engand but wish him to fail anywhere else (esp. at the scum if it comes to that) :J.

17. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Karl Robinson is still at MK Franchise, potentially doesn't get enough respect due to the fact he is at that club.

Eddie Howe? Odd thing is he was pretty average at Burnley certainly Dyce was better, but Howe and Bournemouth have a magical connection, he probably will stay in the south if he ever goes anywhere but hell at least they would be watchable.

RaoulDuke likes this.
  18. RaoulDuke

Neville should have never accepted this suicide mission.
    Now he is paying the price.
    If he really wants to manage he should start with a championship side (or lower) next season.
    This shortcut obviously didn't work.

19. lfc.eddie

I said this to you before, he is a clever man and knows what he is doing. This job was seen as a doomed job even before he stepped foot into the club anyway. He is not paying anything for it because even the mighty Madrid with Benitez get humiliated by Suarez and Neymar, and now with Messi in the mix, forget about it. He knows this is a super tough job, but it is a very calculated risk.

He took the job as a caretaker manager till the end of the season. If he failed to do anything significant, they won't give him a full term contract. Nothing to lose there. If he make something significant and win a long term contract, he will come out smelling like roses. Either way, it is a win-win scenario for him, having Valencia half season in his CV, the Valencia that was already underachieving.

It will be harder to recover to fail from a lower league team than to recover from failure of a big league team. If you failed as a CEO in Apple Inc., you will still get appointed by another outfit in Nasdaq listed company, but if you failed in some mom-and-pop company, there is no way a Nasdaq company is give you the time of day.

20. RaoulDuke

@lfc.eddie

I know that you've said that before.
    And it makes sense.
    But nonetheless I believe this is going to tarnish his reputation for a while.
    I doubt any PL club would touch him next season.
    Maybe a championship side.

21. lfc.eddie

@RaoulDuke he would probably take over from your good friend Hodgy...

22. RaoulDuke

I doubt it. The FA wouldn't trust such a novice.
    In Brendan we trust! :p
    And the job would be big enough to suit his ego.

23. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

I don't think it was a mistake. He knows Lim and it was a pretty good opportunity. A bit too good to turn down in fact. A bit like Rafa and Real. How do you really turn that down? Even with that "the sack is/might be around the corner from day 1" feeling. Of course you take it. Some managers never get to that level of a very good club in Spain. Even if it ends bad he will get his chances (especially with the image he's created in the media), he's still young. At least it will be a good lesson, possibly learn a new language (an important one in the world of football), make new contacts/connections. Of course it's difficult to rate him as a main coach/manager, this is only the beginning. But I don't think he had much to lose.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  24. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Need to update the title - now no longer the head coach of Valencia.

And to rub salt in the wound, replaced by former Liverpool man Pako Ayestarán

Hope in your heart likes this.
  25. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

Shame - wouldn't have minded seeing him get through to next season and see how he got on.

26. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Has Pako been a no1 before? Will be interesting to see how he gets on in the hotseat. Better than Neville, I will presume.

And will he go back to Sky? Carra won't let him live this down lol

27. Kinny Riddle

Kinny Riddle TIA New Signing

Yet another failed English/British manager abroad.

British managers are not even popular in their own shores, with less than half the number of Premier League clubs hiring British managers. Even with Remi Garde gone, it's still 13 foreign managers to 6 British managers (Aston Villa currently vacant, Neville could consider going there. :D )

28. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Yes - In Israel. I think he won the league there and/or the domestic cup.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  29. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

He only went to Valencia because they were already in a mess. He was unable to turn the around, but the situation they are in is not down to him.

30. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Still, at least he's setting records.

OptaJoe ‎@OptaJoe

19 - Gary Neville posted the lowest win percentage of any Valencia boss in La Liga history - 18.8% (min 5 games).

Oof.

Hope in your heart likes this.